HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2nd for Huet a steal... FOR US!!!

Old
04-16-2008, 07:11 AM
Caseofcups*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Nice way to sum up a classy player's career, Hab fans are the most laughable homers in the league. Huet went 11-2, got the Caps into the playoffs all by himself.

He took a team with no business being near the playoffs to the promised land. He did his job in Montreal well, no controversy and was a class act.

Washington is not a good team, they are lacking in many areas. Huet is being hung out to dry.
I think Ovy would disagree.

Caseofcups* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2008, 07:20 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
The Huet deal was the kick off Price needed to have confidence in himself, and looked what happens.. Price ends being the current best goalie in the playoffs at 20 years old and Huet has the biggest GAA in all of the 16 teams. Not to mention we have an amunition for a trade next year when we will become much better then we currently are
I liked the trade from the beginning.

I liked it even though I also like Huet and had previously been hoping he would stay for a couple of years.

Huet is a good goalie, I see no need to bash him.

But the trade was a brilliant move, with managed risk and potential big upside for us.

It's all good.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2008, 07:30 AM
ed ible*

Bob Gainey might just be one of the smartest men in hockey right now !!!!!!!!

ed ible* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2008, 07:50 AM
Guy Germaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Nice way to sum up a classy player's career, Hab fans are the most laughable homers in the league. Huet went 11-2, got the Caps into the playoffs all by himself.

He took a team with no business being near the playoffs to the promised land. He did his job in Montreal well, no controversy and was a class act.

Washington is not a good team, they are lacking in many areas. Huet is being hung out to dry.
That's a huge misconception. Washington played great down the stretch to make it in, but look who they played their last 10 or so games.
Huet was solid , no doubt , but he wasn't spectacular and certainly didn't get them in himself. It was a total team effort from lead by the young core.

The 2nd for Huet was a great deal, and it's not because of the draft pick we got.

Guy Germaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2008, 07:59 AM
Shadyone33

Who knows what we get with a 2nd? It's kind of early to tell how good this deal is. I mean Huet isn't the best big game goalie, but the Caps aren't out of it either. They're only down 2-1. If the Caps win the next game, they have home ice advantage again. If the Caps go out, hey....They weren't supposed to be there in the first place. I'm glad we have Price though. I like how Price can "hold it down". I remember watching Theodore who would give up that goal in the 3rd that would let a team back in or tie a game up. He has the ability to shut it down and not let the other team steal a game. I wish Huet well because I'd like to smash the Rangers because on I post on a hockey card board and there's one idiot that trolls on every GDT and I'd love to see his Rangers get smoked by us!!!!!

Shadyone33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2008, 08:41 AM
otto bond

Quote:
The Huet deal was the kick off Price needed to have confidence in himself, and looked what happens.. Price ends being the current best goalie in the playoffs at 20 years old and Huet has the biggest GAA in all of the 16 teams. Not to mention we have an amunition for a trade next year when we will become much better then we currently are
Ok, let say that Huet is a good goalie but...yes but.
He is a nice guys with class but...again but.
I wish him the best cause he deserved it but....
He has not been money come playoff time.

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2008, 08:42 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
He's worth a whole lot more than a 2nd rounder for Washington. He got them into the playoffs with great goaltending down the stretch and seems to be the only guy that's showed up the last 2 games...their team has looked brutal, badly outworked and outplayed.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2008, 08:47 AM
Russeltown

Negative.

He had to go. The Caps needed him.

Good for the Caps. Good for us.
Kolzig would not have done better. Huet led them to playoffs. Price is doing awesome in Montreal.

A steal would have been Huet for Semin... but a 2nd rounder?? Relax, take it easy.....

Russeltown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2008, 08:49 AM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77otto View Post
Ok, let say that Huet is a good goalie but...yes but.
He is a nice guys with class but...again but.
I wish him the best cause he deserved it but....
He has not been money come playoff time.
Guys let me say this once, this is alot more of a Price panning out since he had a clear n.1 spot then a bashing Huet thread. It's a steal cause Price is 5x the goalie he was before the trade deadline, not to mention the fact that we have an extra 2nd round pick in really deep draft ( in Montreal by the way...) that we can use as trade bait next year to land a great player since i expect to be a much better team next year with all of young guys getting better and better.Price is money when the pressures on and Huet isin't, but i do respect what the man has done for us in the short period he stayed with us

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2008, 08:49 AM
Lone Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed ible View Post
Bob Gainey might just be one of the smartest men in hockey right now !!!!!!!!
Bob Gainey is not afraid to take a risk. Whether or not it works out for the better of this team. He dealt Garon when Garon looked ready to break out for Radek Bonk and a French goalie named Cristobal Huet. That was a risk. He lost some young Defencemen on waivers trying to call them up. He traded Mike Ribiero for a veteran support defenceman just to get him off the team, instead of attempting to go for top value. He decided not to trade Michael Ryder at the deadline, but instead sent off his top goalie in favour for this rookie goaltender he drafted when he never even needed a goalie to draft.

Bob Gainey takes risks. Cliff Fletcher used to, and thats what made him successful. Gainey has been taking risks his entire career, and it has always paid off for him. People forget that Joe Nieuwendyk was nothing special in his first few years with the Dallas Stars, and it took three years before Joe proved his value. The Dallas Stars lost Jarome Iginla, but gained a Conn Smythe Trophy winner. That was a risk.

This is why I laugh at the reactionary people. The Habs have continued to improve in various ways since Gainey has come in. Even if players like Kostitsyn and Price have sophmore jinxes, think of how great we'll be in the years to come!

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2008, 08:53 AM
otto bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russeltown View Post
Negative.

He had to go. The Caps needed him.

Good for the Caps. Good for us.
Kolzig would not have done better. Huet led them to playoffs. Price is doing awesome in Montreal.

A steal would have been Huet for Semin... but a 2nd rounder?? Relax, take it easy.....
that would had been big.
IMO, Bob was not looking for a steal(unless it came to him) but rather a taker.

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2008, 08:55 AM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mother_pucker View Post
That's a huge misconception. Washington played great down the stretch to make it in, but look who they played their last 10 or so games.
Huet was solid , no doubt , but he wasn't spectacular and certainly didn't get them in himself. It was a total team effort from lead by the young core.

The 2nd for Huet was a great deal, and it's not because of the draft pick we got.
thank you, that's what i should of said all along

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Russeltown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rogue View Post
Bob Gainey is not afraid to take a risk. Whether or not it works out for the better of this team. He dealt Garon when Garon looked ready to break out for Radek Bonk and a French goalie named Cristobal Huet. That was a risk. He lost some young Defencemen on waivers trying to call them up. He traded Mike Ribiero for a veteran support defenceman just to get him off the team, instead of attempting to go for top value. He decided not to trade Michael Ryder at the deadline, but instead sent off his top goalie in favour for this rookie goaltender he drafted when he never even needed a goalie to draft.

Bob Gainey takes risks. Cliff Fletcher used to, and thats what made him successful. Gainey has been taking risks his entire career, and it has always paid off for him. People forget that Joe Nieuwendyk was nothing special in his first few years with the Dallas Stars, and it took three years before Joe proved his value. The Dallas Stars lost Jarome Iginla, but gained a Conn Smythe Trophy winner. That was a risk.

This is why I laugh at the reactionary people. The Habs have continued to improve in various ways since Gainey has come in. Even if players like Kostitsyn and Price have sophmore jinxes, think of how great we'll be in the years to come!
I 100% agree with what you wrote. Therefore, no "Gainey" in this thread.

I just like the way he turn things around. Very calculated moves, that are risky, but that are calculated. He knows, like insurers, how to manage damages .

Russeltown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atwater Ghost View Post
Huey is Not! a playoff Goalie. I think Bob Gainey saw the vision.

Why is he not a playoff goalie? He had a very good playoffs for us 2 years ago and he is doing his job this year, he isn't getting much help, on Sunday they got outshot 41-24 and he kept them in the game.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2008, 09:22 AM
Moester

Send a message via AIM to Moester Send a message via MSN to Moester
Quote:
Guys let me say this once, this is alot more of a Price panning out since he had a clear n.1 spot then a bashing Huet thread. It's a steal cause Price is 5x the goalie he was before the trade deadline, not to mention the fact that we have an extra 2nd round pick in really deep draft ( in Montreal by the way...) that we can use as trade bait next year to land a great player since i expect to be a much better team next year with all of young guys getting better and better.Price is money when the pressures on and Huet isin't, but i do respect what the man has done for us in the short period he stayed with us
As much as I agree with that statement, I must say that a lot of people are forgetting that we have yet another asset from this. Jaroslav Halak, he said it himself that he had been getting lots of offers from europe, but as long as he gets a shot at NHL play he would stay. Halak could be a very capable #2 man for the next 3-4 years and then could be extremely valuable trade-bait when he's ready to be #1 elsewhere.

Moester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2008, 09:30 AM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

It WAS a steal...looking back of course.

We upgrade at the goalie position AND get a 2nd round pick (which I think is pretty valuable, no matter what people say).

We dumped a guy who never took the team to another level. Was hot when the team was hot and was cold when the team was cold. Price plays at a high level no matter the effort in front of him, and I think it's showing this series more so than than during the season.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2008, 09:38 AM
ToysInTheAttic

The book is out about Huet according to NHL Network analysts. When reviewing last night's game they said that scouts said he was weak on the glove side, and that is where some of the goals were scored.

ToysInTheAttic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2008, 09:43 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovalev47 View Post
Wow one round of the playoffs aren't over and the Huet bashing has begun again. How ironic would it be if the Bruins beat the Habs the next 3 games and won the series to repay Montreal. Good thing some fans here are so overconfident.
You should bet your house, car and pension fund on that!

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2008, 09:46 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovalev47 View Post
Wow one round of the playoffs aren't over and the Huet bashing has begun again. How ironic would it be if the Bruins beat the Habs the next 3 games and won the series to repay Montreal. Good thing some fans here are so overconfident.
Wow you are still around? I thought we lost you and Cristobal Huet (the poster) when Huet got dealt. I still think you two are same person just posting under different accounts. Still wishing ill on Price I see...

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2008, 09:50 AM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by habhob View Post
The book is out about Huet according to NHL Network analysts. When reviewing last night's game they said that scouts said he was weak on the glove side, and that is where some of the goals were scored.
Pierre McGuire wrote that book.

I've been saying for a long time now Huet would fold like a tent in the playoffs and everyone here jumped on my back. Yes he played pretty decently in the 06 Playoffs, but that goal he allowed on Stillman that put us away STILL haunts me in my dreams.. A beer league goalie could have stopped that.

JGRB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2008, 09:51 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseofcups View Post
Look at it now, later, whatever. Huet is/was never a good pressure performer. THAT is the point. The return for him was irrelevant.
Sure 'cause Huet has a lot of history in the playoffs....How can you state that over an experience of 6 games??? I know a couple of players, especially one, known as a big playoff choker, who's not exactly choking right now....Things can change you know. Geez, even Thornton was a key to last night's win for San Jose....

My post wasn't about Huet or Price but more about reactionary threads who can easily look stupid 2 days after....I don't see the point in making it. Same applies for the "where are the haters now" questions...

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2008, 10:26 AM
Capitano

Quote:
Originally Posted by habhob View Post
Carolina exploits all of Huet's weaknesses, just ask them :

1) Shots from the point
2) Make him move to his left
3) Get in his face

= win.

Capitano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 01:26 PM
Cristobal Huet

Send a message via MSN to Cristobal Huet
at this thread.

LOL!

Cristobal Huet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 02:06 PM
Enstrom39

If Montreal had kept Huet they would have two more wins in the 2nd round IMO. That's one gamble that utterly backfired.

Enstrom39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 02:08 PM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Falconer View Post
If Montreal had kept Huet they would have two more wins in the 2nd round IMO. That's one gamble that utterly backfired.
Can't make the 2nd round if you don't win the first one.

YMCMBeaulieu is offline   Reply With Quote