HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

Official Stanley Cup Playoffs Thread

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-14-2008, 09:10 PM
  #26
VirtualSpree
 
VirtualSpree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Miami
Country: United States
Posts: 810
vCash: 500
Hahahahaha... Nashville losing 3-2 in the 3rd period, 10 seconds later they are up 4-3 and win the game.

I love playoff hockey.


Last edited by VirtualSpree: 04-14-2008 at 09:22 PM.
VirtualSpree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2008, 09:16 PM
  #27
Acadmus
Moderator
 
Acadmus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Vermont
Country: United States
Posts: 15,085
vCash: 500
Caught quite a bit of the Caps/Flyers game tonight. I was hoping Washington would pull it out...regardless, I have to admit this was about the most exciting game I've seen in years. Kudos to both teams

Saw one shift with Viktor Kozlov playing keep-away with the puck. He had an awesome shift, but I didn't notice him the rest of the game. Pity he can't put forth the effort consistently, or even often, because when he does he's awesome to watch. Easily still the best puckhandler in the NHL.

__________________
"...and ultimately it doesn't matter."
Acadmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2008, 10:11 PM
  #28
hoax15
Registered User
 
hoax15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: S. Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 2,126
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to hoax15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadmus View Post
Caught quite a bit of the Caps/Flyers game tonight. I was hoping Washington would pull it out...regardless, I have to admit this was about the most exciting game I've seen in years. Kudos to both teams

Saw one shift with Viktor Kozlov playing keep-away with the puck. He had an awesome shift, but I didn't notice him the rest of the game. Pity he can't put forth the effort consistently, or even often, because when he does he's awesome to watch. Easily still the best puckhandler in the NHL.
I'm loving the Rangers-Devils series hell just the last game there was almost 100 hits and Avery made me lol.

hoax15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2008, 07:43 AM
  #29
truepantherfan55
Registered User
 
truepantherfan55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Where
Posts: 92
vCash: 500
Salei's great game tuesday night

Are old d-men, which was lucky enough to get traded from this 10-year plan Panther team. Had a great game for his Positive and hockey driven club, i personally was very happy to see him in the playoffs and contribute to a Real hockey club..........and all you blooger critics,,, bring it loll

truepantherfan55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2008, 08:42 AM
  #30
homegrizown
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: pembroke pines fl
Country: United States
Posts: 468
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by truepantherfan55 View Post
Are old d-men, which was lucky enough to get traded from this 10-year plan Panther team. Had a great game for his Positive and hockey driven club, i personally was very happy to see him in the playoffs and contribute to a Real hockey club..........and all you blooger critics,,, bring it loll
no doubt a change of scenery benefited for both players involved in the the deal. salei wasn't cutting it here anymore and we felt we were trading for a similar player who made less money.

i still believe skratkins really helped this team down the stretch. by going out there blocking everrything he could.. i think the rest of the defense followed trend.

homegrizown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2008, 08:43 AM
  #31
homegrizown
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: pembroke pines fl
Country: United States
Posts: 468
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualSpree View Post
Hahahahaha... Nashville losing 3-2 in the 3rd period, 10 seconds later they are up 4-3 and win the game.

I love playoff hockey.
how about the san jose game last night down 2-1 with 5 minutes left bad angle goal to tie and then a deflection with 9 seconds left.

it's good for me cuz i picked san jose to come out of the west. the only thing is they don't match up well against the flamers

homegrizown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2008, 09:53 AM
  #32
Laus723
Future Now
 
Laus723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 26,629
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by truepantherfan55 View Post
Are old d-men, which was lucky enough to get traded from this 10-year plan Panther team. Had a great game for his Positive and hockey driven club, i personally was very happy to see him in the playoffs and contribute to a Real hockey club..........and all you blooger critics,,, bring it loll
Great for him, glad he's figured out how to do something other than take stupid penalties nonstop. I'm happy with Skrastins.

__________________
So you're saying there's a chance!
Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2008, 10:35 AM
  #33
zeroG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Houston, TX
Country: United States
Posts: 6,163
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Great for him, glad he's figured out how to do something other than take stupid penalties nonstop. I'm happy with Skrastins.
heh... yeah, me too. oh, and in case people didn't notice, it was salei who chipped the puck gingerly toward the half boards; gingerly enough that it sat right down in front of carney who stepped in and blasted home the game wininer. so he's still got some chump blood running through his veins.

on the subject of the calgary/sj game, how about this quote:

Quote:
“Any time you get outshot 32-10 at home, that means you didn’t come to work and you didn’t put in the effort,” Flames head coach Mike Keenan said. “We carried some play early, but it was all San Jose after that. The completely outplayed us.”
huh?? the motivator, the vocal, enthusiastic and emotional "iron" mike can't motivate his team for a playoff game? sounds like he's lost the room

who's fault is it when a team doesn't come to work? i should say that i would blame thornton, as captain for the game 3 debacle. that team went into a funk after the hit on marleau and someone needed to pull them out. timeouts and goalie changes can help a little but the game is won and lost on the ice guys.

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2008, 10:39 AM
  #34
NJ_CATS_FAN
We Suck Yet Again
 
NJ_CATS_FAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: N.J.
Country: United States
Posts: 4,757
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoax15 View Post
I'm loving the Rangers-Devils series hell just the last game there was almost 100 hits and Avery made me lol.
If you think its great on tv, you should make a trip up to Jersey for a Devs-Rags game and see it in person. Talk about fun games to go to.

NJ_CATS_FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2008, 10:44 AM
  #35
zeroG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Houston, TX
Country: United States
Posts: 6,163
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ_CATS_FAN View Post
If you think its great on tv, you should make a trip up to Jersey for a Devs-Rags game and see it in person. Talk about fun games to go to.
really? that series seems the tamest to me and i grew up watching and rooting for the rangers in the playoffs through the 80s, 90s and up until the panthers. i am hoping the devils can pull one more out, though, as i may be down in nyc this weekend and would love to catch game 6.

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2008, 11:40 AM
  #36
Booth10
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 353
vCash: 500
Ottawa

I hear many times that JM had such a talented group in Ottawa, that his accomplishments there didnt mean very much.

Well look at what that group is doing now.

I think they were the worst team in the league in the second half.

Booth10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2008, 12:40 PM
  #37
zeroG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Houston, TX
Country: United States
Posts: 6,163
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booth10 View Post
I hear many times that JM had such a talented group in Ottawa, that his accomplishments there didnt mean very much.

Well look at what that group is doing now.

I think they were the worst team in the league in the second half.
yeah, and they made the final last year. so??? they've got a very good team. very good. that's not to take anything away from JM - he helped mold a lot of those guys. clearly, the GM hasn't been able to find the right combination. unfortunately, there is no recipe. it's not like they haven't tried.

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2008, 12:41 PM
  #38
NJ_CATS_FAN
We Suck Yet Again
 
NJ_CATS_FAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: N.J.
Country: United States
Posts: 4,757
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post
really? that series seems the tamest to me and i grew up watching and rooting for the rangers in the playoffs through the 80s, 90s and up until the panthers. i am hoping the devils can pull one more out, though, as i may be down in nyc this weekend and would love to catch game 6.
Playoffs or not, its a great rivalry and a great one to go to. I hate both teams, but love going to a Devils-Rangers game. Plus, the way this series is going, the teams hate eachother even more now.

NJ_CATS_FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2008, 01:46 PM
  #39
zeroG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Houston, TX
Country: United States
Posts: 6,163
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ_CATS_FAN View Post
Playoffs or not, its a great rivalry and a great one to go to. I hate both teams, but love going to a Devils-Rangers game. Plus, the way this series is going, the teams hate eachother even more now.
yeah, i mispoke - when i said tame, i really meant defensive rather that lacking intensity. the rangers have turned into a defensive club so between the 2 teams, i haven't a lot of end to end action, kinda like what's happened for the bulk of the past 3 mtl-bos games as boston got it's defensive game going.

like i said, i'm hoping i get a chance to catch game 6.

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2008, 10:25 AM
  #40
KWGoon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: Finland
Posts: 2,192
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post
heh... yeah, me too. oh, and in case people didn't notice, it was salei who chipped the puck gingerly toward the half boards; gingerly enough that it sat right down in front of carney who stepped in and blasted home the game wininer. so he's still got some chump blood running through his veins.

on the subject of the calgary/sj game, how about this quote:



huh?? the motivator, the vocal, enthusiastic and emotional "iron" mike can't motivate his team for a playoff game? sounds like he's lost the room

who's fault is it when a team doesn't come to work? i should say that i would blame thornton, as captain for the game 3 debacle. that team went into a funk after the hit on marleau and someone needed to pull them out. timeouts and goalie changes can help a little but the game is won and lost on the ice guys.
I understand the point you're trying to make, and we have this disagreement all the time. I agree that the captain (and any other leaders on ice) have the primary responsibility after the puck drops. But before they get in the rink the primary responsibility belongs to the coach. He has to prepare the team to anticipate what the other team is likely to do. I think quite frankly you're skipping over that step, assuming JM handled it admirably, but this is exactly what I and some others have been pounding on. JM has not been effective in preparing the team night in night out. That's why I don't agree with blaming Olli primarily. Yes, the game is won and lost on the ice, but a poorly prepared team will end up with an L more often than not, despite any heroics on part of a captain.

BTW - Thornton is an A, not C. Marleau is the C. I'm not calling you on that, the reason to bring it up is that here is a team that has their primary superstar wearing an A with someone else as C. When Olli said he'd willingly hand over the C to a worthy candidate, maybe this is a model he had in mind.

KWGoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2008, 11:28 AM
  #41
zeroG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Houston, TX
Country: United States
Posts: 6,163
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KWGoon View Post
I understand the point you're trying to make, and we have this disagreement all the time. I agree that the captain (and any other leaders on ice) have the primary responsibility after the puck drops. But before they get in the rink the primary responsibility belongs to the coach. He has to prepare the team to anticipate what the other team is likely to do. I think quite frankly you're skipping over that step, assuming JM handled it admirably, but this is exactly what I and some others have been pounding on. JM has not been effective in preparing the team night in night out. That's why I don't agree with blaming Olli primarily. Yes, the game is won and lost on the ice, but a poorly prepared team will end up with an L more often than not, despite any heroics on part of a captain.

BTW - Thornton is an A, not C. Marleau is the C. I'm not calling you on that, the reason to bring it up is that here is a team that has their primary superstar wearing an A with someone else as C. When Olli said he'd willingly hand over the C to a worthy candidate, maybe this is a model he had in mind.
forgot that marleau wears the C there, you're right. in any case, the on ice leaders have to step up in that case. sarich's hit was a catalyst but it didn't have to be. i was watching another game - nsh/det - and bonk was hammered. it was a similar situation but nashville did not wilt. thinking back though, i really don't think SJ was on fire at the beginning of that game - calgary just was not awake and their coverage was awful. SJ took advantage. the hit on marleau was probably more a wake up call to calgary than a blow to SJ.

wrt the panthers, i'm not overlooking that fact. teams can be prepared perfectly and still come out on the ice flat. as i've said, the fact that this team competed consistently this year (every team has a few stinkers) speaks to the job the coaching staff did. everybody here screams about having a more vocal and enthusiastic coach - that entire calgary/sj game junks the theory, imo. first of all, people point at keenan as an example of that fired up coaching style. if so, how'd he allow his team to come out flat in a critical playoff game? second, did you notice his demeanor when the score was 2-0, 3-0? emotionless. he didn't grimace, yell (that we saw). he did the one thing the coach can do - call a timeout and/or pull the goaltender. what happened next is that sarich made a big play and woke the team up. coaches play a part to be sure but this fixation on martin's style misses the mark.

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2008, 11:44 AM
  #42
KWGoon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: Finland
Posts: 2,192
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post
forgot that marleau wears the C there, you're right. in any case, the on ice leaders have to step up in that case. sarich's hit was a catalyst but it didn't have to be. i was watching another game - nsh/det - and bonk was hammered. it was a similar situation but nashville did not wilt. thinking back though, i really don't think SJ was on fire at the beginning of that game - calgary just was not awake and their coverage was awful. SJ took advantage. the hit on marleau was probably more a wake up call to calgary than a blow to SJ.

wrt the panthers, i'm not overlooking that fact. teams can be prepared perfectly and still come out on the ice flat. as i've said, the fact that this team competed consistently this year (every team has a few stinkers) speaks to the job the coaching staff did. everybody here screams about having a more vocal and enthusiastic coach - that entire calgary/sj game junks the theory, imo. first of all, people point at keenan as an example of that fired up coaching style. if so, how'd he allow his team to come out flat in a critical playoff game? second, did you notice his demeanor when the score was 2-0, 3-0? emotionless. he didn't grimace, yell (that we saw). he did the one thing the coach can do - call a timeout and/or pull the goaltender. what happened next is that sarich made a big play and woke the team up. coaches play a part to be sure but this fixation on martin's style misses the mark.
This is the crucial difference of opinion we have. I don't think we competed to the level and consistence that we should have. I don't think the coaching staff finished the job on a consistent basis. Everything else falls out from that - JM the HC being replaced, Olli potentially being shopped around, new hockey people being brought in. I agree that this does not equal stability and consistency, but the stability and consistency I look for is one of a winning variety. I don't need a stable losing situation. We are not there in terms of stability of organization yet. It's still under construction, unfortunately.

KWGoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2008, 12:01 PM
  #43
Acadmus
Moderator
 
Acadmus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Vermont
Country: United States
Posts: 15,085
vCash: 500
Please keep this off-topic thread on-topic

The Panthers didn't make the playoffs, so discussion of them in this thread should be limited. Plenty of other threads where you can dissect their strengths and shortcomings.

Acadmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2008, 12:46 PM
  #44
zeroG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Houston, TX
Country: United States
Posts: 6,163
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadmus View Post
Please keep this off-topic thread on-topic

The Panthers didn't make the playoffs, so discussion of them in this thread should be limited. Plenty of other threads where you can dissect their strengths and shortcomings.
yessir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWGoon View Post
This is the crucial difference of opinion we have. I don't think we competed to the level and consistence that we should have. I don't think the coaching staff finished the job on a consistent basis. Everything else falls out from that - JM the HC being replaced, Olli potentially being shopped around, new hockey people being brought in. I agree that this does not equal stability and consistency, but the stability and consistency I look for is one of a winning variety. I don't need a stable losing situation. We are not there in terms of stability of organization yet. It's still under construction, unfortunately.
one quick point - a non hockey person who's wisdom is in question made the decision to remove the coach. in short, that by itself proves nothing.

trying to keep this on topic, take a look the varying results teams have achieved in the playoffs thus far. tell me, each time a team comes out looking flat and/or gets their butts whipped, is it on the coaches? i'll point out the situation here in boston - nobody thought they'd even compete with montreal. after the first 2 minutes of game 1, it doesn't look good. clearly though, julien had worked out a strategy. although they didn't execute in game one, it appears based on the way games 2-4 have gone, that was mostly on the players. folks up here are barking about kessel being benched but he apparently was out there doing his own thing. i don't think the idea is to scapegoat kessel (a couple of other guys came back in game 2 that made a difference as well) but the bottom line is that the difference between not competing and competing hard in those 4 games was on ice performance, i.e., the players - i don't think julien changed his strategy dramatically between games 1 and 2 but the results changed dramatically.

what i'm saying is that there's not a clear delineation between player and coach. you *really* have to know what you're looking at on the ice to be able to say with certainty if there's a systemic issue, i.e., a problem with preparation. there are some tweaks in the playoffs but this is a generally a mano a mano type deal - teams know each other pretty well. even if a team is really system oriented, that stuff doesn't change greatly from game to game. so how, then, do you explain those game situations we're talking about where one team just loses it (or doesn't have it to begin with) in a relatively evenly matched series?

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2008, 08:46 PM
  #45
Laus723
Future Now
 
Laus723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 26,629
vCash: 500
Wow, Bruins force game 7 in their series against the Canadiens. High scoring game. I'm hoping for Boston to take them, considering what happened when they played the Panthers months ago.

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2008, 09:02 PM
  #46
Clint
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 6,340
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Clint
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Wow, Bruins force game 7 in their series against the Canadiens. High scoring game. I'm hoping for Boston to take them, considering what happened when they played the Panthers months ago.
What happened?

Oh, do you mean the Montreal fans?

Clint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2008, 09:06 PM
  #47
Laus723
Future Now
 
Laus723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 26,629
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint View Post
What happened?

Oh, do you mean the Montreal fans?
Yeah. All we need is those people in our arena after they win the Cup again. I don't like Montreal anyway, but I don't particularly fond of Boston, either.

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2008, 03:25 AM
  #48
Acadmus
Moderator
 
Acadmus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Vermont
Country: United States
Posts: 15,085
vCash: 500
Well, two series closed and I'm 2 for 2 on picking winners...I'm sucking out at games played, though. Meanwhile, my entire bracket's on the line as the Ducks are on the brink, and Montreal hasn't closed out Boston which has my Eastern champion pick on the brink, too.

Travelled to the box stores yesterday, which means travelling about 20 miles south on I-89. You should'a seen all the Quebec cars with Canadiens flags headed south for Boston (at about 85-90 on a 65mph highway, no less, weaving through traffic and not using signals )

EDIT: Sorry, 3 series closed and I'm 3 for 3. Forgot Pittsburgh/Ottawa.


Last edited by Acadmus: 04-20-2008 at 03:47 AM.
Acadmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2008, 08:47 AM
  #49
Acadmus
Moderator
 
Acadmus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Vermont
Country: United States
Posts: 15,085
vCash: 500
So I'm up to 4/5 on picking series winners, still could finish 7/8...but even if I do the one I was wrong on was the one that I had going all the way *sigh*

Acadmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2008, 07:21 PM
  #50
Clint
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 6,340
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Clint
Chara was just made to look very foolish. He should have seen that drop pass coming and should have knocked Streit into next week. I know he's been Boston's MVP and all, but that was weak.

Clint is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:20 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.