HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

What's Your Proposal for Fixing the Panthers?

Old
04-15-2008, 05:50 PM
homegrizown

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
Maybe a Stewart/Stumpel/pick could get it done. Getting rid of Stumpel helps us with the salary difference. But we can also go after a Huselius or Prospal in the UFA market, and use the $3.5 million Maxim makes that way.
i'd like afineganov but i'd rather have someone liek rolston and rather pay him a little extra. i want someone with some toughness willing to hit people

this team lacks toughness i want a team of players willing to finish a damn check thats all i want. i want to know when they go to the corner they won't be pushed around and look like babys compared to other teams

homegrizown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2008, 07:43 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Martin will never trade for Afinogenov. He has a reputation for not sticking to systems and being an individual. Heck, it was admitted by Ruff and other members of the Sabres' organization that he did not stick to Buffalo's system enough, yes Buffalo, the no pay attention to defense run and gun style Buffalo Sabres.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2008, 09:25 AM
dbhislife

Ok so far I have seen wish lists; Ryder isn't coming here, and We aren't dumping Stumpy and/or Pelt for Parrish. Here is how we get into the playoffs:

First we dump salary. Stumpy and Pelt go for whatever we can get, instead of trying to make some sort of steal. Then here is where I am going to get chewed out on this forum: If we can get Campbell, we trade Jbo.

He is the only way we can get real help, and will dump the salary we need to make room. Ottawa fans seem to think Heatley will be available, and have talked about Heatley for Jbo.....thats the return Jbo could give us. Then we take the remaining salary, and sign another mid-level winger (prospal I vote for)

Now we have:

Heatley (or someone on his level)-Jokinen-Prospal/Olesz
Booth-Weiss-Horton
Zednick-Kreps- Olesz/Prospal
Kilger-Cambell-McLean
Belak

The lines may need some switching, but those are 12 efficient forwards

Campbell-Skrats
Allen-Van Ryn/Murphy
Cully- Murphy/Welch

and Monty to play where needed

dbhislife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2008, 09:35 AM
homegrizown

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbhislife View Post
Ok so far I have seen wish lists; Ryder isn't coming here, and We aren't dumping Stumpy and/or Pelt for Parrish. Here is how we get into the playoffs:

First we dump salary. Stumpy and Pelt go for whatever we can get, instead of trying to make some sort of steal. Then here is where I am going to get chewed out on this forum: If we can get Campbell, we trade Jbo.

He is the only way we can get real help, and will dump the salary we need to make room. Ottawa fans seem to think Heatley will be available, and have talked about Heatley for Jbo.....thats the return Jbo could give us. Then we take the remaining salary, and sign another mid-level winger (prospal I vote for)

Now we have:

Heatley (or someone on his level)-Jokinen-Prospal/Olesz
Booth-Weiss-Horton
Zednick-Kreps- Olesz/Prospal
Kilger-Cambell-McLean
Belak

The lines may need some switching, but those are 12 efficient forwards

Campbell-Skrats
Allen-Van Ryn/Murphy
Cully- Murphy/Welch

and Monty to play where needed
i like your ideas and all but after signing campbell and trading for heatly with resigning guys like olesz monty belak and a couple other guys.. i don't think we have the cap space to sign anyone else.

i do believe we could trade peltonen. but stumpel we're just going to have to cut loose so i guess that saves us another 3 mill or so. and we're at 39 mil right now so we'd be at 36. the cap will be somewhere between 53-56. heatley and campbell together will be somewhere between 13-14 and then to resign our guys that puts us at the cap. pretty much

Old
04-17-2008, 10:24 AM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
FYI, if you guys buy out Stumpel, he counts as $1.5 million against the cap paid out over the next 2 yrs (2/3rds of each yr bought out according to the CBA...see the contract of Sean Hill who was still being counted against FL's this season). So in the end, you're really only saving about $750K to gain a roster spot.

The cost of buying him out may not be worth it compared to trading him for a 7th round pick or putting him thru waivers and then paying half his salary by hoping someone picks him up on re-entry waivers.

Coolburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2008, 11:20 AM
Georgia Panther

Face it, next years team is going to look a lot like this years team with the addition of a Liles, at best, or next season's version of Murphy, at worst.

Georgia Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2008, 11:45 AM
Acadmus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Panther View Post
Face it, next years team is going to look a lot like this years team with the addition of a Liles, at best, or next season's version of Murphy, at worst.
Your cup's half empty - turn it upside down

I'll take the approach of "let's just wait and see what happens...since that's all we can do."

04-17-2008, 12:17 PM
Georgia Panther

True, but if you try to get into Martin's way of thinking don't you come up with the thought of "I have all these forwards under contract next season, I have 3 top notch scoring forward prospects in the system who all should be on my 23 man roster within 2 years and I think my most pressing need is a puck moving defenseman of which I don't have any in the system ready to challenge for a roster spot in the next 2 years, why in the world should I expend any significant money or assets on forwards when I can use that to fill my primary need and have those 3 prospects ready to plug in in 2009/10 when most of those deadweight contracts, Stumpel, Peltonen and Zednik, that are almost impossible to get rid of now so I would have to buy them out, have expired?"

PS-Wasn't that the longest single sentence posted in memory on this site?

Georgia Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2008, 02:19 PM
Acadmus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Panther View Post
PS-Wasn't that the longest single sentence posted in memory on this site?
No - there was this long-winded kid that eschewed punctuation who had a longer one a couple years back

Acadmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2008, 02:35 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
FYI, if you guys buy out Stumpel, he counts as $1.5 million against the cap paid out over the next 2 yrs (2/3rds of each yr bought out according to the CBA...see the contract of Sean Hill who was still being counted against FL's this season). So in the end, you're really only saving about $750K to gain a roster spot.

The cost of buying him out may not be worth it compared to trading him for a 7th round pick or putting him thru waivers and then paying half his salary by hoping someone picks him up on re-entry waivers.
Stumpel's one of those guys who makes you wish players really could be traded for a bag of pucks.

04-17-2008, 02:45 PM
Haj

vCash: 50
My four point plan to turn the Panthers around are as follows:
  1. My plan is to have Tinkerbell sprinkle some magic pixie dust on
    Ville Peltonen that will bestow 1st line talent on him.
  2. I'll call on a cardiologist to replace Anthony Stewart's heart.
  3. I'll build a time machine go back into the past and draft Ovechkin.
  4. I'll learn Voodoo so that the opposing teams star is always out
    with an undisclosed injury.

Haj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2008, 03:03 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Stumpel's one of those guys who makes you wish players really could be traded for a bag of pucks.
I dont think I was the only one who prefered to have him sign here after last season, rather than V. Kozlov. The guy came off a career year, and for 23g/34a at $2.25m, most thought that that was a good deal. I think he could still get to that playing with Olli, but its time to move on with him. Olli needs a playmaker like Stumpy, but he is preventing one of our youngsters from playing quality minutes.

pb1300 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2008, 03:08 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
I dont think I was the only one who prefered to have him sign here after last season, rather than V. Kozlov. The guy came off a career year, and for 23g/34a at $2.25m, most thought that that was a good deal. I think he could still get to that playing with Olli, but its time to move on with him. Olli needs a playmaker like Stumpy, but he is preventing one of our youngsters from playing quality minutes.
I was against brining both guys in, actually. I'm glad Kozlov did well this season, though. So far as Stumpel, I've never been high in this guy. I was OK with him coming back based on his numbers last season, but it kills me that the guy doesn't show up before January.

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2008, 04:31 PM
CanadianPantherFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haj View Post

Didn't we draft Ovy with our last pick the season before he was eligible. I give an E for effort boys

CanadianPantherFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2008, 05:00 PM
homegrizown

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianPantherFan View Post
Didn't we draft Ovy with our last pick the season before he was eligible. I give an E for effort boys
yea cohen actually called keenan and said draft him and of course the nhl shut us down why give florida a franchise type player, nobody wants to watch that team anyways.... (sigh)

Old
04-17-2008, 05:48 PM
Clint

Send a message via AIM to Clint
Quote:
Originally Posted by homegrizown View Post
yea cohen actually called keenan and said draft him and of course the nhl shut us down why give florida a franchise type player, nobody wants to watch that team anyways.... (sigh)
Maybe it was because our leap-year argument was weak and he honestly wasn't draft eligible?

Last edited by Acadmus: 04-17-2008 at 07:08 PM.
Clint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2008, 07:15 PM
Acadmus

Quote:
Come on, that's a ridiculous description of events, and totally unfair to Cohen...

...he called DUDLEY and told HIM to draft Ovy in the ninth round (and allegedly every single round leading up to it)

Acadmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2008, 08:27 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post

I will be very surprised if Stumpel is not on the roster next season. Like you said, it's not even worth buying him out.

P.S.- Can we stop proposing to replace Bouw with Campbell? Never gonna happen, not with Martin as GM. Campbell is average at best defensively, and there's no way he's going to even come close to replacing what Bouw does defensively. If Bouw is traded, I am sure there will be a defenseman coming back, one who's a lot better than Campbell defensively. Then if we get lucky enough, maybe we can sign a puckmoving defenseman in free agency.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2008, 09:50 PM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haj View Post
You forgot to add win the lottery and donate it to sign a really great UFA winger to play with Olli! Because Cohen doesn't like to spend to the cap limit!

Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2008, 05:24 AM
homegrizown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint View Post
Maybe it was because our leap-year argument was weak and he honestly wasn't draft eligible?
no i wasn't debating that... but cohen did try. it's just i guess we always get screwed at draft time. the year we came back from the holdout we got the 29th pick. it feels like the earth spends off is axis when it's time for the panthers

Old
04-18-2008, 11:51 AM
JonathanHuberdoh
Maybe.....next year?

Send a message via AIM to JonathanHuberdoh
Quote:
no i wasn't debating that... but cohen did try. it's just i guess we always get screwed at draft time. the year we came back from the holdout we got the 29th pick. it feels like the earth spends off is axis when it's time for the panthers
That's what I never understood. We missed the playoffs 4 straight years and somehow end up with the LAST pick? Why did we get the least balls? Montreal MADE the playoffs and they had like 4 balls, but since we had a 1st overall pick the year before, we automatically get the **** end of the stick? The NHL is ****ing ********.

JonathanHuberdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2008, 12:42 PM
Clint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jok-AtTheDriveIn-en View Post
That's what I never understood. We missed the playoffs 4 straight years and somehow end up with the LAST pick? Why did we get the least balls? Montreal MADE the playoffs and they had like 4 balls, but since we had a 1st overall pick the year before, we automatically get the **** end of the stick? The NHL is ****ing ********.
It's because we had won the lottery several times and had excellent draft position over the past, like, 7 years. It sucks that we got such a ****** draft positioning, but the league tried to do it as fairly as possible considering there was no season played and no standings to go by. I really can't blame the league for the outcome of that lottery. Yes, it would have been nice for us to get Crosby, but whatever.

Old
04-21-2008, 10:34 PM
hoax15

Send a message via AIM to hoax15
I think, if he can improve his play, Ville should start to take a small leadership role (maybe just the A or something small). He was captain when he was on his national team and he will probably be again this year. Just a thought, wanna see what anyone else thinks.

hoax15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2008, 01:02 PM
Pantherfan12

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoax15 View Post
I think, if he can improve his play, Ville should start to take a small leadership role (maybe just the A or something small). He was captain when he was on his national team and he will probably be again this year. Just a thought, wanna see what anyone else thinks.
I really want to see Repik and Matthias in the lineup next season. I don't disagree with trying to bring in guys like Prospal or Roloson, would definately be a big help, but we've never seen an Olli-Matthias-Olesz line yet, and who knows, maybe it would work out great. Of course, I'd rather see an Olli-Matthias-Prospal line, or even get lucky some how and land Heatley, but from what Cohen says, he doesn't seem to care too much about going out and getting players.
I am curious to see the lineup next season, with Johansen,Cully,Murphy,Monty,VanRyn, thats alot of D,and they haven't really been too bad with the team. I Know many rip VR but when he was healthy, he did pretty well with the team, and supposedly he feels really good now. Murp is great on PP,but Johansen is just as good,and not as small. Monty,Cully have shown lots of leadership, so its going to be interesting to see.

Olli-Matthias-Repik/Prospal/Olesz
Booth-Weiss-Horton
Olesz/Repik-Kreps-Zednik
Kilger-Mclean-Belak/Campbell

JBO-Allen
Skrats-Monty/Van Ryn
Welch-Cully/Johansen/Murp

We do need a proven scorer, someone this teams been lacking since Bure, I love Matthias as center, and Olli loves playing wing with this kid. He crashes the net, screens the goalie, is a huge kid,not afraid to get dirty, which is something we've been missing. Olesz has been pretty great, lots of speed and can score, I haven't seen Repik play, but hear nothing but good things, and Prospal was a Panther back in the day.

My 2 cents guys, later!

Pantherfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2008, 04:24 PM
Clint

Can we please not rush our prospects into the league for once? Let's let Frolik, Repik, and Matthias have at least half a year in the A before we consider putting them on the top line with Olli.