HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs on The Score in English?

Old
04-17-2008, 08:53 AM
33Roy33

vCash: 500
Usually here in Newfoundland we are considered Canada East and get all the stations from Quebec East. I think that is why we get Sportsnet East as our main Snet and we also get RDS as part of our regular cable package! So i am hoping we get the Habs here if the Score lands the rights.

33Roy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2008, 02:15 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

I'm not sure how the deal would work, but if it means that I can see Habs games in Ontario on The Score, it would be epic. I'm not holding my breath though.

coolguy21415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2008, 02:22 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
This would be pretty good news. The Score actually does a pretty decent job with the Raptor's broadcasts.

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2008, 02:34 PM
Mathletic

let's have Gab Morency for the games

Mathletic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2008, 03:07 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Poutine View Post
I seem to remember that RDS has control over all of the games of the Habs and they just signed a long contract 2 years ago. In fact, when you see a Habs game on HNIC its because RDS has sold the rights for that game for that one night to CBC. I dont know if the contract has been modified tho.
RDS has the french rights.... the sold some of those to SRC (french CBC) a couple years ago to do Saturday Nights outside Quebec. Now that RDS is available outside Quebec they don't do it anymore. With French Rights they can broadcast anywhere in Canada.

French Rights and English Rights are totally seperate.... Right now noone has English TV rights for habs games locally.

All the Habs games you see on TSN and CBC are part of those two networks national deals with the NHL and not local deals with the Habs. The habs have the right to sell any games not broadcast by CBC or TSN to a local carrier. This local carrier could be The Score, but they would obtain only local rights.... Meaning that Ontario and everything West of that would be blacked out. As for the Maritimes, that is unclear, but I think it may be considered Habs territory for local coverage. Some Quebec cities (those extremely close to Ottawa might even get blacked out).

Last edited by Beakermania*: 04-17-2008 at 03:43 PM.
Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2008, 03:11 PM
AH

RDS would probably have a huge say in any deal with The Score. They would probably lose some of their ratings if an alternative was available to their own broadcast. They probably had that written into their contract.

AH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2008, 03:37 PM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
I would love to see this, I think it would really help the already large fanbase grow even more and even reestablish itself in some places.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2008, 03:42 PM
Player 61
#Winning

I had completely forgotten, but the Score did have English Broadcast TV rights to Expo's games near the end in Quebec. So this is totally plausible.

Old
04-17-2008, 03:44 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atwater Ghost View Post
I had completely forgotten, but the Score did have English Broadcast TV rights to Expo's games near the end in Quebec. So this is totally plausible.
Oh yeah... I've thought for years that the Score is a viable channel for local NHL TV rights, as long as they get the blackout situation figured out. TSN had to do the same thing when they first lost their national NHL deal to Sportsnet and they scooped all the local deals they could get.

It would take an application to the CRTC to seperate their channel into two broadcast networks on game nights.... There is definetely precedent for them approving such an application.

Old
04-17-2008, 03:50 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
RDS has the french rights.... the sold some of those to SRC (french CBC) a couple years ago to do Saturday Nights outside Quebec. Now that RDS is available outside Quebec they don't do it anymore. With French Rights they can broadcast anywhere in Canada.

French Rights and English Rights are totally seperate.... Right now noone has English TV rights for habs games locally.

All the Habs games you see on TSN and CBC are part of those two networks national deals with the NHL and not local deals with the Habs. The habs have the right to sell any games not broadcast by CBC or TSN to a local carrier. This local carrier could be The Score, but they would obtain only local rights.... Meaning that Ontario and everything West of that would be blacked out. As for the Maritimes, that is unclear, but I think it may be considered Habs territory for local coverage. Some Quebec cities (those extremely close to Ottawa might even get blacked out).

The facebook page says it would have it nationwide. They already have the nationwide rights figured out. They are just trying to get a deal with videotron to get Score as part of the cable network in Quebec.

Steve Kouleas on play by play would be unreal. Hes probably my favourite hockey personality. If anyone hasn't seen Hockey talk on the score, watch it. Should be on today at 3:00(6:00 for you Eastern folk) on the score.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2008, 03:51 PM
Player 61
#Winning

I've always thought that what the Habs are truly missing is their own Anglo announcers. Like the Hey Days of Danny Gallivan. It's something special that was lost somewhere along the years.

Old
04-17-2008, 03:52 PM
Player 61
#Winning

The Score is on Videotron in Quebec on Channel #111. Has been for probably 6 or 7 years.

Old
04-17-2008, 03:54 PM
Thibaj

Quote:

This is the best post in this thread... Just a few points:

- RDS was available outside Québec when they were selling saturday nights games to SRC.

- English regional coverage of the Habs will probably include all of the Ottawa Senators region (east of Brighton/Petawawa), meaning that some part of Ontario won't be blacked out. The Sens and the Habs currently share their territory, that's why we see regional Sens games on SNET in Montreal (Sens games on RDS are national games, like every games on RDS).

Thibaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2008, 03:59 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
The facebook page says it would have it nationwide. They already have the nationwide rights figured out. They are just trying to get a deal with videotron to get Score as part of the cable network in Quebec.

Steve Kouleas on play by play would be unreal. Hes probably my favourite hockey personality. If anyone hasn't seen Hockey talk on the score, watch it. Should be on today at 3:00(6:00 for you Eastern folk) on the score.
I'm gonna trust my legal education over some facebook page which is not confirmed. If The Score webpage announces it, then we'll see what they say.

Only way The Score would get the ability to go national with English broadcast of the games is if they negotiated and paid a fee for the right to encroach on another team's territorial rights to all the Canadian NHL teams. These would all have to be seperately negotiated and would cost a lot of money.

There would also be a definite issue with having to compensate NHL Centre Ice who would not want this to happen for obvious reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thibaj View Post
This is the best post in this thread... Just a few points:

- RDS was available outside Québec when they were selling saturday nights games to SRC.
That is true but the number of cable companies who carried it was few... A lot fewer than it is right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thibaj View Post
English regional coverage of the Habs will probably include all of the Ottawa Senators region (east of Brighton/Petawawa), meaning that some part of Ontario won't be blacked out. The Sens and the Habs currently share their territory, that's why we see regional Sens games on SNET in Montreal (Sens games on RDS are national games, like every games on RDS).
This would be good... we get Sens regional coverage in Kingston (and Leafs regional coverage is blacked out). I know the Alberta teams also share their territory for TV purposes.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 04-17-2008 at 04:04 PM.
Old
04-17-2008, 03:59 PM
j c petit
Locked-out

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSU Seminoles View Post
let's have Gab Morency for the games
That would be a hoot! At least Gab knows who the players are and doesn't have some kind of agenda against them.

j c petit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2008, 04:00 PM
Lone Rogue

I would be all for this. No problem with The Score.

Someone mentioned how they were the least biased Sports network in Canada. I'd agree with that. Some of their analysts might disagree or think negatively on the Habs once in a while, but its not some Nick Kypryos or Mike Milbury anti-Hab schmuck boy, its just an opinion, and I'm fine with that.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2008, 04:04 PM
jaygold85

While on the air, Steve Kouleas has mentioned this story and the Facebook group a few times already. On TV and their satellite radio station hardcore sports radio. I'm not saying this will happen 100%, but they are presently trying really hard to make it happen.

There would not be any blackout issues with this, as The Score is not a regional network.

jaygold85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2008, 04:09 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaygold85 View Post
While on the air, Steve Kouleas has mentioned this story and the Facebook group a few times already. On TV and their satellite radio station hardcore sports radio. I'm not saying this will happen 100%, but they are presently trying really hard to make it happen.

There would not be any blackout issues with this, as The Score is not a regional network.
The Score's status as a national broadcaster has nothing to do with the blackout issues.... That issue has everything to do with the other teams territorial rights. The Score's status is not an issue here (other than getting approval from the CRTC to split the network to comply with the territorial rights issue).

The fact that you are a national broadcaster does not allow you to encroach on the other team's rights. CBC and TSN are the only two networks authorized to broadcast nationally. That is because they have National TV deals directly with the NHL and not with the individual teams... The Score couldn't get one of these because those two deals are exclusive.

They would have to get a local deal for the games that are not included in the TSN/CBC deals. This would mean local rights only, unless they paid each individual Canadian NHL team to expand those rights.

These are the legal issues in play.

Old
04-17-2008, 04:44 PM
jaygold85

I appreciate you giving us the down low on your education of legal broadcasting issues, but if they say, on live television, that they have the rights to broadcast games nationally, I doubt they would lie about it. There is no sense in getting negative about it, until you have seen the legal documents for yourself.

In the meantime, for everybody out there who wants to see The Habs on The Score in English NATIONWIDE should sign the available petition.

Go to google, and search: "care2 petition habs on the score"

jaygold85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2008, 05:03 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaygold85 View Post
I appreciate you giving us the down low on your education of legal broadcasting issues, but if they say, on live television, that they have the rights to broadcast games nationally, I doubt they would lie about it. There is no sense in getting negative about it, until you have seen the legal documents for yourself.

In the meantime, for everybody out there who wants to see The Habs on The Score in English NATIONWIDE should sign the available petition.

Go to google, and search: "care2 petition habs on the score"
See I haven't heard them say they have those rights on live television....

What I have heard from Kouleas is that they are working on getting the rights to broadcast them..... Nowhere did he mention that they have them and the word NATIONWIDE is not one that I've heard them say. I've read the word Nationwide but has it come from Kouleas or another person who represents the score, or any reliable news source?? Not that I heard anyway... and nowhere has it been announced on the Score or the Habs official sites. I'm merely pointing out that nationwide rights would be very costly as there are a number of people they potentially have to pay off to get those rights (The Habs, Centre Ice, other canadian teams.... potentially RDS depending on if its in the contract or not).... Its a costly venture and to assume all the deals are in place to do this is unwise at this point in time.

Old
04-17-2008, 05:35 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
The Score's status as a national broadcaster has nothing to do with the blackout issues.... That issue has everything to do with the other teams territorial rights. The Score's status is not an issue here (other than getting approval from the CRTC to split the network to comply with the territorial rights issue).

The fact that you are a national broadcaster does not allow you to encroach on the other team's rights. CBC and TSN are the only two networks authorized to broadcast nationally. That is because they have National TV deals directly with the NHL and not with the individual teams... The Score couldn't get one of these because those two deals are exclusive.

They would have to get a local deal for the games that are not included in the TSN/CBC deals. This would mean local rights only, unless they paid each individual Canadian NHL team to expand those rights.

These are the legal issues in play.
Does RDS have to pay then? They broadcast nationally.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2008, 05:41 PM
Markov79

meh. I'll still watch RDS. I like how they tend to take a more indepth look at individual players. Besides, it is an oppurtunity to brush up on my french.

When they gave their joyeuse noel message at ended it with "and to our anglophone fans, merry christmas" they gained my loyalty.

Markov79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2008, 05:57 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
Does RDS have to pay then? They broadcast nationally.
They have French rights... They are also National French Rights, paid to the NHL (thats why they can do a Sens-Sabres game for example on a night when Montreal doesn't play.)

I guess if The Score wanted to broadcast in Swahali they could get national coverage.... but I don't think that is their goal.

Old
04-17-2008, 05:58 PM
sonnytheman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel Morency View Post
There are definitely some truths to it, you might even see yours truly doing color!
Is this THE Gabriel Morency?

If so, sweet

sonnytheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2008, 06:00 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnytheman View Post
Is this THE Gabriel Morency?

If so, sweet
I don't know anything for sure... but I was thinking the same thing based on two things posted from this account today.

I'm working on seeing if we can get him vetted as THE Gabriel Morency same as we have THE BobMcKenzie on our site.