HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Last game Ryder played as a Habs..

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-18-2008, 01:13 AM
  #26
Beakermania*
 
Beakermania*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kingston or Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,965
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan4 View Post
I never noticed that Ryder was struggling. Thank you Captain Obvious.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2008, 02:50 AM
  #27
NewHabsEra*
 
NewHabsEra*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 10,695
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prrebel View Post
So Ryder..... who was even in the +/- category, who only had 9:47 of ice time, 0:00 of ice time on the power play...... Was the reason we lost?

Meanwhile Tender, who was a -3 in 10:02 of ice time (9:21 at even strength) and Laps, who was -2 in 12;16 of ice time (10:47 at even strength) will still get their balls licked by Carbo. At least I guess, Lats and Laps did manage to run into 1 Bruin each.
Latendresse should be benched as well for game #6.. Replaced by Stewart, its time our big body start realizing he has to generate some offense and play with more poise.. He doesnt have the speed to be a shut down guy to rely on, he has to bring something to this team, not only hitting opponents when the puck is already miles away from the impact point..

Grabovski and Stewart in for game #6 if it was my decision..

A.Kostitsyn Plekanec Kovalev

Higgins Grabovski S.Kostitsyn

Stewart Lapierre Dandeneault

Begin Smolinski Kospoulos

Hope the Cube is ready to come back as well.. lol at everyone underrating this guy..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2008, 03:57 AM
  #28
Rayne*
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,298
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomsky View Post
This sums it up perfectly.

Rayne* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2008, 04:06 AM
  #29
Marksman
Registered User
 
Marksman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Country: Finland
Posts: 3,626
vCash: 500
I'm surprised... not on Ryders play, but at some fans here. After seeing him doing almost nothing regular season, some still had expectations for him.

Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2008, 06:51 AM
  #30
BadHabit
Registered User
 
BadHabit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,583
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman View Post
I'm surprised... not on Ryders play, but at some fans here. After seeing him doing almost nothing regular season, some still had expectations for him.
I still do... but give the guy a break, give him some room to move on the PP. What do you have to lose? Our PP is completely dead as it is, why not give him some time on the 2nd PP line and maybe if he can score it will give him some confidence back. Seriously though, the guy had 30g back to back and 25g in his rookie season. He had tons of PP points and yet now, he doesn't even see any PP time. In fact, he consistently gets the least amount of icetime per game on the team.

We have to use our assets properly. Sit Latendresse, Lapierre and Dandenault on the bench for a few extra shifts and give the guy a chance! What's the worst that could happen? He's not making goofs to cause us goals against. Who knows, maybe with some actual icetime he'll score!

BadHabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2008, 10:24 AM
  #31
Rock On
Registered User
 
Rock On's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Saint-Jean
Country: Canada
Posts: 307
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsArea View Post
You heard here first... I would not even take this guy in my "garage" hockey league...


I agree he may not come back next year but I'd totally take him on one of my teams anytime. Not sure he's willing to pay to play though ...

Rock On is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2008, 10:41 AM
  #32
Bunka Gurndeep
Registered User
 
Bunka Gurndeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,834
vCash: 500
Ryder is not a PP specialist anymore. Whenever he gets the puck on the PP it reminds me of Brisebois in our own end. He does not have the patience to settle the puck down and make a good play. He plays hot potatoe with the puck and it more often then not leads to a costly turnover and a clearing of the zone by the opposition.

Bunka Gurndeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2008, 11:13 AM
  #33
Mad Habber
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,673
vCash: 500
Who the hell stickhandles in front of his own net with the opposing team still in your zone.

You Ryder need to wake up. Ryder plays like he is alone on the ice. He only got 10:00 minutes because he sucked last night. As a matter of fact, he sucked all series. That's why Carbo benched him for one game, and he'll probably bench him again for game #6. When was the last time he gave someone a good hit. Or scored a typical Ryder goal.

We may miss his 30 goals a year next year (missed them this year), but he has never done anything in the playoffs either in his 3 playoff years here.

Mad Habber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2008, 01:15 PM
  #34
Beakermania*
 
Beakermania*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kingston or Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,965
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Habber View Post
We may miss his 30 goals a year next year (missed them this year), but he has never done anything in the playoffs either in his 3 playoff years here.
Played well in 06 till Saku got hurt.... OT winner game 2.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2008, 01:18 PM
  #35
Maxpac
Registered User
 
Maxpac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: hockey city
Posts: 13,438
vCash: 500
i just read in an other thread a suggestion to trade both the Kostys after this year

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2008, 01:19 PM
  #36
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 47,140
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
i just read in an other thread a suggestion to trade both the Kostys after this year
For who? Parisé???

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2008, 01:19 PM
  #37
Lord Horse
Next Day's News
 
Lord Horse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Full City
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,400
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman View Post
I'm surprised... not on Ryders play, but at some fans here. After seeing him doing almost nothing regular season, some still had expectations for him.
Because you can earn your cheque in the playoffs. See: Brisebois, Patrice.

Lord Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2008, 01:22 PM
  #38
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 47,140
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwoar View Post
Because you can earn your cheque in the playoffs. See: Brisebois, Patrice.
Patrick Marleau, Daniel Brière, Joe Pavelski, Prospal, Wolski, Knuble and tons of others....

I did expect Ryder to be better 'cause anyway, was it that tough to be better than what he was? I guess it is.

Problem is, we all know that he'll rebound next year and we'll complain about it. So I thought that instead of rebounding next year, how about rebounding in the playoffs?

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2008, 01:31 PM
  #39
BadHabit
Registered User
 
BadHabit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,583
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Patrick Marleau, Daniel Brière, Joe Pavelski, Prospal, Wolski, Knuble and tons of others....

I did expect Ryder to be better 'cause anyway, was it that tough to be better than what he was? I guess it is.

Problem is, we all know that he'll rebound next year and we'll complain about it. So I thought that instead of rebounding next year, how about rebounding in the playoffs?
You can't rebound if you don't play. And you can't be a PP specialist if you don't get any PP time.

Seriously - the team can't score and we're last in the playoff teams for PP conversions. How is sitting Ryder in favour of Dandenault helping anything? We need goals - if our goal leader for 3 years is sitting on the bench he's not helping. We might as well give him icetime and if he scores great, if he doesn't - we're not out anything.

BadHabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2008, 01:44 PM
  #40
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 47,140
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadHabit View Post
You can't rebound if you don't play. And you can't be a PP specialist if you don't get any PP time.
Not comparing both obviously but first game Stewart played, he made the best out of the little time he played. Ryder never does.

As far as playing Dandenault instead of him, well I won't disagree with you. I just hate to see Dandenault in the lineup and it started at the beginning of the year. He's a waste of space up front. If he would've played D this year a little bit more, I would feel more confortable with than O'Byrne at this point. But as soon as Bouillon is ready, it's in the pressbox for Dandy and out of the Habs lineup next year.

But to state that Ryder has to be better than Dandenault up front is not a great testament to Ryder's abilities.....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2008, 01:50 PM
  #41
RE-HABS
Registered User
 
RE-HABS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: CANADA
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,885
vCash: 500
I cannot get over the fact here that everyone cannot see that Carbo has something to do with Ryder's play this year as does Gainey. They told him to play a different style in being more defensively aware, to hit more and to get the +/- down...he did. Thing is it took away from his offense, and being a PP specialist he never gets PP (Carbo the coach picks those players to go out right?). How can (1) he get goals if he sin't getting PP time, (2) get goals if he is getting 8-10 minutes a game, (3) getting benched when the line doesn't score is always his fault (Higgins, Koivu and others like Latendresse never received this type of punishment this year)...people can say all they want about him, but I think it is idiotic of the nay sayers to say he isn't producing and that he is the problem with scoring on the team and so on when he isn't getting the opportunity to do it!

I believe next year you will see Ryder elsewhere and they will tell him play your game, we are signing you to be the scorer and not a defensive specialist...we signed those players already.

Ryder will be that player that will come back to haunt this team like every other mishandled player from Montreal has done.

Coaching and Management created this problem.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2008, 02:26 PM
  #42
Marksman
Registered User
 
Marksman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Country: Finland
Posts: 3,626
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwoar View Post
Because you can earn your cheque in the playoffs. See: Brisebois, Patrice.
Brisebois wasnt that bad to begin with, for what he makes (less than half of Ryders pay).

Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2008, 02:29 PM
  #43
mcphee
Registered User
 
mcphee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 19,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadHabit View Post
From NHL.com

Giveaway stat:

Markov - 92
Hamrlik - 70
Komisarek - 68
Kovalev - 67
Koivu - 43
Streit - 42

Ryder - 12

Give it up already.
I think Ryder's lost the confidence of the staff. I like the guy, I think there's hope, but whjen he has the puck and there are options, he seldom makes the right choice.

One play last night summed it up for me.He crossed the line with some speed, Higgins or SK was parked at he line, just behind him, a d man was angling towrds Ryder. He dumps it into the corner, the d man finsihes the check, easy break out. If he drops the puck, he cruise behind a d man, Kost. has some space and can make a play.

If he's an afterthought playing alongside Lats and Lapierre, sure dump it in, that's their game, but he's not. I think he's lost his game. He could get it back, but I think blaming anyone is just an excuse. It's tougher right now without a C on the line, but he's not a rookie anymore, show some spunk.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2008, 02:29 PM
  #44
snakeye
Registered User
 
snakeye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,782
vCash: 500
Ryder > Latendresse.

snakeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2008, 02:29 PM
  #45
RE-HABS
Registered User
 
RE-HABS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: CANADA
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,885
vCash: 500
[QUOTE=Mad Habber;13735295]You are taking this way too personal. Ryder is the one people are mad at because he provides the team with nothing right now, and has done so for most of the year. Check out his damn stats.

Lats get just as much crap if not more than Ryder for his lack of success. People complained about Begin when he took his dumb penalty the other night. Dandy and Breezy are on everybody's permanent sh** list. So this isn't a french vs newf thing. It's you taking criticism of your favorite player a little too personal. I was happy to cheer for him when he was doing what he was paid for. That's scoring. If he doesn't score, he doesn't bring much else to the table.[/QUOTE]

Same could be said for Latendresse, Higgins, Kovalev, both Kosty's as well then...not taking anything personal at all, but it is time to give him a whole game to play and some PP. If he can't get it going or the line doesn't then do the benching and 3-4 line crap, it doesn't happen to others thats where you are wrong.

When was the last time Latendresse was benched?

When was Sergei ever sat for taking a bad penalty?

Why is Kovalev allowed to play the whole 2 minutes on a PP where the Bruins already know and anticipate the pass is coming to him and it takes away from our chances in scoring on the PP????

You have to watch a game and watch the other players to understand those type of plays, stats and situations. And you obviously do not see the "Whole" game.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2008, 02:30 PM
  #46
ngc_5128
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Fredericton, NB
Posts: 599
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
I cannot get over the fact here that everyone cannot see that Carbo has something to do with Ryder's play this year as does Gainey. They told him to play a different style in being more defensively aware, to hit more and to get the +/- down...he did. Thing is it took away from his offense, and being a PP specialist he never gets PP (Carbo the coach picks those players to go out right?). How can (1) he get goals if he sin't getting PP time, (2) get goals if he is getting 8-10 minutes a game, (3) getting benched when the line doesn't score is always his fault (Higgins, Koivu and others like Latendresse never received this type of punishment this year)...people can say all they want about him, but I think it is idiotic of the nay sayers to say he isn't producing and that he is the problem with scoring on the team and so on when he isn't getting the opportunity to do it!

I believe next year you will see Ryder elsewhere and they will tell him play your game, we are signing you to be the scorer and not a defensive specialist...we signed those players already.

Ryder will be that player that will come back to haunt this team like every other mishandled player from Montreal has done.

Coaching and Management created this problem.
Ryder created his own problem when he decided to stop shooting, stop heading for the net, and stop getting open so his teammates could hit him with a pass. For some reason, he decided to try and stickhandle on every play. Carbo did not tell him to do that, and neither did Gainey. Ryder got PP points because he is good at getting open and shooting fast, two things he has not done all year. If he started getting open and shooting on his reagular shifts, he would be back on the PP.

ngc_5128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2008, 02:31 PM
  #47
RE-HABS
Registered User
 
RE-HABS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: CANADA
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,885
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
I think Ryder's lost the confidence of the staff. I like the guy, I think there's hope, but whjen he has the puck and there are options, he seldom makes the right choice.

One play last night summed it up for me.He crossed the line with some speed, Higgins or SK was parked at he line, just behind him, a d man was angling towrds Ryder. He dumps it into the corner, the d man finsihes the check, easy break out. If he drops the puck, he cruise behind a d man, Kost. has some space and can make a play.

If he's an afterthought playing alongside Lats and Lapierre, sure dump it in, that's their game, but he's not.
I think he's lost his game. He could get it back, but I think blaming anyone is just an excuse. It's tougher right now without a C on the line, but he's not a rookie anymore, show some spunk.
That's problem, he doesn't know who he is playing with or if he is playing...the confidence is gone and it has effected his play, he doesn't know what style type he is supposed to play anymore.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2008, 02:34 PM
  #48
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL
 
YMCMBeaulieu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,433
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GN85 View Post
Ryder > Latendresse at missing the net when shooting
Fixed.

YMCMBeaulieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2008, 02:38 PM
  #49
RE-HABS
Registered User
 
RE-HABS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: CANADA
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,885
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngc_5128 View Post
Ryder created his own problem when he decided to stop shooting, stop heading for the net, and stop getting open so his teammates could hit him with a pass. For some reason, he decided to try and stickhandle on every play. Carbo did not tell him to do that, and neither did Gainey. Ryder got PP points because he is good at getting open and shooting fast, two things he has not done all year. If he started getting open and shooting on his reagular shifts, he would be back on the PP.
People said he over handled the puck last year. He hasn't done that this year, look at the give away stats already. He is shooting less because he has been told not to hang onto the puck, so he is dumping it or dishing it off to someone else.

Ryder was never a player who went to the net, he always floated in the slot looking for the pass to one time or to rip off himself coming across the blueline with the puck.

And Ryder was told by Gainey and Carbo to get the +/- in check and to play a better defensive game...Gainey has stated that himself. If you don't think those things have effected his game then your mistaken.

Its hard to get into a grove of comfort to get shots and to get in the open areas if your not getting icetime with player that help create those opportunites or if PP time isn't given either.

Ryder has some blame to take sure, he isn't creating enough on his own, but he can't be blamed for the season he had solely on his play because he hasn't been given the opportunites he was given in the previous years with the Habs. Personally I believe he isn't Carbo's type and Carbo plays him that way, why do players like Smoke get PP time over Ryder? Because Carbo likes players who are like himself, he needs to think with an offense brain when on the PP or on how to win with this team...D is great, but you need goals first to implament a need for D.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2008, 02:44 PM
  #50
mcphee
Registered User
 
mcphee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 19,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
That's problem, he doesn't know who he is playing with or if he is playing...the confidence is gone and it has effected his play, he doesn't know what style type he is supposed to play anymore.
I think he's been given a clear message. Carbo called him a shooter, said he's supposed to shoot, yet he seems to hesiate just enough . Gainey said that he had to bring more ffort and he does for a few games but can't sustain it.

I think I'd put him beside Lats/Lapierre on Saturday, esp. if Koivu plays, but I'd be surprised if he plays.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:32 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.