HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

OT: Cutting Weight, Gaining Mass, Working Out, etc

Old
04-18-2008, 08:07 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

vCash: 500
OT: Cutting Weight, Gaining Mass, Working Out, etc

Just a thread for everyone here doing any of these things. Hopefully some of us can turn to other posters for motivation, success stories, workout plan advice, supplement advice, diet advice, etc.

For me, I'm back to the cutting weight stage. I had gotten out of before.. but then I gained a bunch back working at a Pizza Hut for 10 hours per day.

Anyway, I'm looking to cut about 30-40 pounds, starting Monday. Right now, to start, I'm just planning on improving my diet (No sweets, more protein, less fat intake) to go along with a 1 1/2 hour workout (1 hour lift, 30 min cardio) and see where that gets me after a six week cycle. I'm going to give these a 5-6 month period.

Any tips would be appreciated.

PS. This thread is to help EVERYONE, not just me.

Last edited by One Man Rock Band: 04-18-2008 at 08:13 PM.
One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2008, 08:08 PM
SpreeEndaz

If you want to lose weight, you better start by only cardiovascular in my humble opinion, weight lifting is a good way to lose weight but it would take more time I think but I'm not an expert either.

SpreeEndaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2008, 08:11 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpreeEndaz View Post
If you want to lose weight, you better start by only cardiovascular in my humble opinion, weight lifting is a good way to lose weight but it would take more time I think but I'm not an expert either.
Thanks for the tip.

The reason I made this thread was because other people were talking about it in another thread..

I did this the first time (Cardio + Lifting) so I want to see if it'll work again. If I just do Cardio, I could potentially burn some muscle as well.. if I'm working out, I can help maintain my muscle mass and cut fat.

Old
04-18-2008, 08:12 PM
Galchenyuk x 27

vCash: 50
dont drink beer.

ive lost 30lbs since I started my diet. beer is the hardest thing to stay away from. (when you go for supper with friends, clubbing, to a bar).

drink water, and like mentioned, do more cardio

Galchenyuk x 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2008, 08:13 PM
CH Wizard

Send a message via MSN to CH Wizard
I want to lose weight (even though my body fat percentage isnt that high) and i wanna gain mass also. A trainer made a schedule for '' mass '' if you are interested pm me. I would suggest you do a 10 minute cardio before your workout, then you lift and after your lift, you do a 20 min cardio. I will guarantee you, that in a few months, you will be satisfied with the results.

CH Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2008, 08:13 PM
anarmandaleb

I think you should initially go heavy on the cardio and lighter on the lift, and then after about a month to six weeks, change it around. Cardio is key for losing at first.

anarmandaleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2008, 08:15 PM
33Roy33

I have a lot of experiences in the past with the cutting weight part. I was a national calibre wrestler growing up so cutting weight was a part of my life for as long as I can remember. The negative thing is all the cutting over the years from about 15-24 caused my metabolism to be messed up.

A few years after I was done university and my wrestling career I got into way too much takeout food and a lot of beer. So a couple of summers ago I made it my goal to shed the weight that I added. I started off with just running. The first workout I could barely do 15mins straight and I went from there. I really limited my diet and did my cardio before breakfast everyday. I ate a lot of BBQ (steak, salmon, chicken) and salad everyday. I kept working on the running and before long I was up to doing 45min hard runs and very fast 5kms. I did not touch weights at all from May-September and I went from 208-172. I hit the weights during the winter and put on a bit of weight but all quality weight. The key is a very strict diet and lots of cardio.

33Roy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2008, 08:16 PM
33Roy33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee96 View Post
dont drink beer.

That was the key for me as well... I cut out beer for a full summer and it hurt, but it worked.

Old
04-18-2008, 08:17 PM
Iwishihadacup

if you work your muscles, they will consume more energie for normal things of life (like walking, cooking, painting, cleaning etc) you must balance cardio and muscles in order to succeed, oh and, i am sorry for all of you guys here but... poutine is not good for fat

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2008, 08:18 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Thanks for the tip.

The reason I made this thread was because other people were talking about it in another thread..

I did this the first time (Cardio + Lifting) so I want to see if it'll work again. If I just do Cardio, I could potentially burn some muscle as well.. if I'm working out, I can help maintain my muscle mass and cut fat.
After I tore up my knee last winter I put on like 30lbs. I burned it all off in less than 3 months and it hasn't come back on yet. Here's some of the things I did.

1. Eliminated all sweets
2. Drank lots of water
3. Eliminated bread and all bread products
4. Went for a 30 minute walk every day or 30 minute per day stationary bike
5. Weights, but nothing too heavy. Just enough to keep tone. (Bowflex) 30 minutes per day.

04-18-2008, 08:18 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

QUESTION: I have always wondered this. I did two types of Cardio the first time I lost weight. Running normally or intervals (I'd walk to a lamppost, jog, run, run, jog, walk .. repeat until I couldn't go anymore).

Which is better?

Old
04-18-2008, 08:20 PM
Raider917

vCash: 179
walking really helps. i was 248lbs on july 1st 2007 and am 190lbs now. i walk a lot and do curls and other free weight exercises 4 or 5 days a week.

walking (and drinking water and eating fruit instead of junk food) for the first couple of weeks is really effective. 40 lbs went in about 6 weeks

Raider917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2008, 08:21 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
After I tore up my knee last winter I put on like 30lbs. I burned it all off in less than 3 months and it hasn't come back on yet. Here's some of the things I did.

1. Eliminated all sweets
2. Drank lots of water
3. Eliminated bread and all bread products
4. Went for a 30 minute walk every day or 30 minute per day stationary bike
5. Weights, but nothing too heavy. Just enough to keep tone. (Bowflex) 30 minutes per day.
Really? Nice.

I was thinking of buying a bike and just playing PS3 while doing it for 30-45 minutes.

The jogging for 10 minutes or something, just to get my legs moving a bit more.

Old
anarmandaleb

Quote:
QUESTION: I have always wondered this. I did two types of Cardio the first time I lost weight. Running normally or intervals (I'd walk to a lamppost, jog, run, run, jog, walk .. repeat until I couldn't go anymore).

Which is better?
There's a lot of research that supports the idea that interval training is more effective for fat burning, but I've always had a hard time with it, so I just run normally but go for longer runs.

anarmandaleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Iwishihadacup

Quote:

Which is better?
I think that jogging is better for cardio. you get a pace that you can keep for a long time and... well you keep it for a long time

Old
04-18-2008, 08:25 PM
VGTvidz

go read www.t-nation.com if you want to get intelligent on the subject! Very good site with awesome articles from Charles Poliquin (trained many athletes in the NHL/NFL/Olympics/etc) & Christian Thibodeau

VGTvidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2008, 08:26 PM
Iwishihadacup

Quote:
Originally Posted by VGTvidz View Post
go read www.t-nation.com if you want to get intelligent on the subject! Very good site with awesome articles from Charles Poliquin (trained many athletes in the NHL/NFL/Olympics/etc) & Christian Thibodeau
this site is awesome!!!

Old
33Roy33

Quote:

Which is better?
I find that intervals is better, it gets your heart rate higher and it causes the body to go into EPOC (excessive post oxygen consumption) longer which leads to a faster metabolism and more calories burned. A lot of people say that the slower steadier pace will burn more fat, which in a way is true, however the intervals will burn more calories which is teh key to weight loss IMO.

The general principle to remember is burn more calories a day then what you take in. If you burn 500 calories more/day then what you take in you will lose at least a pound a week.

Old
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

I lost 12 lbs in month just by cutting out fast food and coke. My problem is that I dont like going to the gym. I'd rather do cardio by playing sports or something fun

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2008, 08:28 PM
Galchenyuk x 27

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
I lost 12 lbs in month just by cutting out fast food and coke. My problem is that I dont like going to the gym. I'd rather do cardio by playing sports or something fun
fast food...I have not touched Mcdees, Harveys, Burger King, Wendy's, KFC, Taco Bell or any other resto like that since November.

Galchenyuk x 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2008, 08:28 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Really? Nice.

I was thinking of buying a bike and just playing PS3 while doing it for 30-45 minutes.

The jogging for 10 minutes or something, just to get my legs moving a bit more.
That's not a bad idea. I used to watch tv because I found it took my mind off of the pain *rehab*. The next thing I knew 30 mins passed by very quickly. Eventually I moved up to 1 hour and I do that now every day.

The reason I went with the bike instead of jogging is because it was less of a strain on my knees. It's one thing if you are at your normal weight, but if you are 30 lbs over. It puts a lot of extra stress on your legs.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2008, 08:31 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:

Which is better?
Run normally. Medium and short intervals will improve your VO2max very well though.

I would say your original plan was great. I'm studying in Kinesiolgy and I'm getting A+ in almost every classes so I know a little about these kind of things. If anything, try not cut take too much protein (take arround 1g per kg of weight) and make sure you have a small calories deficit in your diet. Cutting too much will kill your basal metabolism.

ChemiseBleuHonnete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
DaveMatthew

Interval training has proven to be far more beneficial for weight loss than jogging for long periods at a constant speed. High intensity interval training burns more calories, and continues to boost your metabolism for a period of 12-24 hours after you've stopped exercising. It also takes longer for your body to adapt to this type of training.

Also, cut out all junk food. Stick to water, fruits, vegetables and meats such as turkey, chicken breast, etc. Pretty much, don't enter an aisle in the supermarket, just walk along the outside.

Don't eat big portions 3 times a day. Instead, eat small portions 5-7 times a day.

Do resistance training. However, focus on high intensity, full body exercises. Don't waste your time on isolation moves such as curls, crunches, etc. Do compound movements such as squats and deadlifts.
Focus on doing a rep range of 10-15 per set, and don't rest for more than 90 seconds between sets.

DaveMatthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
33Roy33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
That's not a bad idea. I used to watch tv because I found it took my mind off of the pain *rehab*. The next thing I knew 30 mins passed by very quickly. Eventually I moved up to 1 hour and I do that now every day.

The reason I went with the bike instead of jogging is because it was less of a strain on my knees. It's one thing if you are at your normal weight, but if you are 30 lbs over. It puts a lot of extra stress on your legs.

That is a good point if you are injured you should avoid weight bearing and stick to things like biking. But if you have strong joints and are not in rehab or at risk for an injury running is the best thing to knock the pounds off.

Old
04-18-2008, 08:32 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
I'm the same way, I've wasted more money on gyms over the years. I have some equipment in my house (Bowflex, stationary bike, punching bag, little weights).

Most of the exercise I get now is playing hockey, cross country skiing (winter), soccer, football, ball hockey, marathon runs (summer).

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote