HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

OT: Cutting Weight, Gaining Mass, Working Out, etc

Old
04-18-2008, 08:34 PM
NHLcrazy

vCash: 500
I have my bachelors in sports science and worked for Nautilus+ for 3+ yeard so i'll give you guys a few pointers

If you want to lose body fat: low-medium intensity with high volume

Example (for jogging with NO intervals)

Resting heart rate: 80
Intensity: 60-75%
Volume: 45-90 mins
Frequency: 3-5 times a week

To calculate intensity (if you don't know your REAL max heart rate):

220 (standard number)-25 (age)=195
195-80 (resting HR)= 115
60% of 115= 69*
75% of 115= 86*
80 (RHR)+ 69*= 149 (this is the 60%)
80 (RHR)+ 86*= 166 (this is the 75%)

So around 150-165 FOR the WHOLE time!

But cardio is 25% of the success, good diet is 75% of it

Alos aim for a loss of around 2 lbs a week max (that't it?!?lol) not 10! think about it 2lbs a week is 24lbs in 3 months (so around July)!

Last thing: muscular workouts can also help since having a bigger muscle mass increases the resting metabolism (ie you're burning calories without doing anything)

Last edited by NHLcrazy: 04-18-2008 at 08:41 PM.
NHLcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2008, 08:35 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

HIIT is the way to go.

waffledave
waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2008, 08:35 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goffie709 View Post
That is a good point if you are injured you should avoid weight bearing and stick to things like biking. But if you have strong joints and are not in rehab or at risk for an injury running is the best thing to knock the pounds off.
Totally agree with you, the only reason I would be against it is if the person is too heavy. When I was 30lbs over weight my joints actually hurt so badly, that I can't even imagine how much it would have hurt from pounding the pavement.

Now that I'm at a much lower weight. I can run very effortlessly, and my joints don't hurt at all. Muscles hurt, but that's normal.

04-18-2008, 08:37 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goffie709 View Post
I find that intervals is better, it gets your heart rate higher and it causes the body to go into EPOC (excessive post oxygen consumption) longer which leads to a faster metabolism and more calories burned. A lot of people say that the slower steadier pace will burn more fat, which in a way is true, however the intervals will burn more calories which is teh key to weight loss IMO.

The general principle to remember is burn more calories a day then what you take in. If you burn 500 calories more/day then what you take in you will lose at least a pound a week.
A good muscular work out and regular running should yeild better results, imo. I would say that doing intervals might be too intense to keep a good % intensity for the whole workout. I had lots of trouble getting in the 90+% range for extended periods of time in intervals for a lab. Put I keep arround 209 beats per minute (not a spelling mistake) for 30+ minutes for another lab. This is related to many factors though.

ChemiseBleuHonnete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2008, 08:38 PM
Seb
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Seb
Break out with your girlfriend.

It worked out for me.

Seb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2008, 08:40 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMatthew View Post
Interval training has proven to be far more beneficial for weight loss than jogging for long periods at a constant speed. High intensity interval training burns more calories, and continues to boost your metabolism for a period of 12-24 hours after you've stopped exercising. It also takes longer for your body to adapt to this type of training.

Also, cut out all junk food. Stick to water, fruits, vegetables and meats such as turkey, chicken breast, etc. Pretty much, don't enter an aisle in the supermarket, just walk along the outside.

Don't eat big portions 3 times a day. Instead, eat small portions 5-7 times a day.

Do resistance training. However, focus on high intensity, full body exercises. Don't waste your time on isolation moves such as curls, crunches, etc. Do compound movements such as squats and deadlifts.
Focus on doing a rep range of 10-15 per set, and don't rest for more than 90 seconds between sets.
cutting on the size of the meals is an excellent idea. I love the idea of coumpound movements too, especially squats. I might suggest doing front squats too, it works the core too and it removes a lot of "spinal load" (sorry, I don't know how to say it in english).

Old
04-18-2008, 08:41 PM
Stephen Locke*

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Just a thread for everyone here doing any of these things. Hopefully some of us can turn to other posters for motivation, success stories, workout plan advice, supplement advice, diet advice, etc.

For me, I'm back to the cutting weight stage. I had gotten out of before.. but then I gained a bunch back working at a Pizza Hut for 10 hours per day.

Anyway, I'm looking to cut about 30-40 pounds, starting Monday. Right now, to start, I'm just planning on improving my diet (No sweets, more protein, less fat intake) to go along with a 1 1/2 hour workout (1 hour lift, 30 min cardio) and see where that gets me after a six week cycle. I'm going to give these a 5-6 month period.

Any tips would be appreciated.

PS. This thread is to help EVERYONE, not just me.
Exactly the thread I was looking for.

PS:If you lose a significant amount of weight,does it balance out your eventual height? I hasn't finished to grow yet.(Growing when it comes down to boys is over until 21 I think)-Physics?

This questions seems absurd,but I'm curious.

Stephen Locke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2008, 08:42 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Oh another simple thing that someone mentioned to me that I tried.

Use a smaller plate when having meals. I know it sounds stupid, but doing this I was less inclined to load up my plate.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2008, 08:43 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLcrazy View Post
I have my bachelors in sports science and worked for Nautilus+ for 3+ yeard so i'll give you guys a few pointers

If you want to lose body fat: low-medium intensity with high volume

Example (for jogging with NO intervals)

Resting heart rate: 80
Intensity: 60-75%
Volume: 45-90 mins
Frequency: 3-5 times a week

To calculate intensity (if you don't know your REAL max heart rate):

220 (standard number)-25 (age)=195
195-80 (resting HR)= 115
60% of 115= 69*
75% of 115= 86*
80 (RHR)+ 69*= 149 (this is the 60%)
80 (RHR)+ 86*= 166 (this is the 75%)

So around 150-165 FOR the WHOLE time!

But cardio is 25% of the success, good diet is 75% of it

Alos aim for a loss of around 2 lbs a week max (that't it?!?lol) not 10! think about it 2lbs a week is 24lbs in 3 months (so around July)!

Last thing: muscular workouts can also help since having a bigger muscle mass increases the resting metabolism (ie you're burning calories without doing anything)
this is the main thing people have to keep in mind...

Old
04-18-2008, 08:43 PM
LesHabsRock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwishihadacup View Post
if you work your muscles, they will consume more energie for normal things of life (like walking, cooking, painting, cleaning etc) you must balance cardio and muscles in order to succeed, oh and, i am sorry for all of you guys here but... poutine is not good for fat
This is what I recommend as well. Cardio alone will definitely burn "weight", but what people don't realize is that half of that weight they burn is going to be muscle. It is important to do strength training as well as cardio. Burning muscle is not a good thing as you may develop osteoperosis and many other types of bone ailments down the road. Strength training maintains your muscle and keeps you from losing it over the years.

LesHabsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2008, 08:44 PM
33Roy33

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchise player View Post
cutting on the size of the meals is an excellent idea. I love the idea of coumpound movements too, especially squats. I might suggest doing front squats too, it works the core too and it removes a lot of "spinal load" (sorry, I don't know how to say it in english).

Compound movements are key. I find that ball squats are a very good starting point as regular squats are a hard movement for beginners.

33Roy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2008, 08:44 PM
LesHabsRock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb_Rafter View Post
Break out with your girlfriend.

It worked out for me.
lmao

Old
04-18-2008, 08:49 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Thinking about it, I once did agility and speed drill with an agility ladder and I really loved it. It works your VO2max (when sustained for long enough), agility and speed (duh!), coordination, etc.. It's really cool for those doing sports!

Old
04-18-2008, 08:49 PM
m00ks

I'll be joining you in that feet. Since my parents left to work in Alaska 2 years ago, I've put on maybe 30 pounds from eating out and eating bad. Now that the sun is out, no more excuses though. I'll dust my gym card and get some work done.

But take my advice. If you truly plan on loosing weight it's more than just going on a diet and working out for an X number of months. The best and most lasting results stem from changing your way of life. That includes a healthier diet and an active body. Once you get a good rythm, it's really hard to break.

Last edited by m00ks: 04-18-2008 at 08:55 PM.
m00ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2008, 08:50 PM
NHLcrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchise player View Post
this is the main thing people have to keep in mind...
It's like building muscle...if i could average an increase of 1lb of muscle every 3 weeks I'd very happy! that's 18lbs of quality weight in a year! But all the skinny 15yrs old want to be BEEF and have no patience, so they don't eat more, train like crap and buy those stupid 'SUPER workout X5000 hydro pump' powders for 200$ and 4 weeks later the gained 2lbs of water weight and are pissed off!

NHLcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2008, 08:50 PM
LesHabsRock

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00ks View Post
I'll be joining you in that feet. Since my parents left to work in Alaska 2 years ago, I've put on maybe 30 pounds from eating out and eating bad. Now that the sun is out, no more excuses too. I'll dust my gym card and get some work done.

But take my advice. If you truly plan on loosing weight it's more than just going on a diet and working out for an X number of months. The best and most lasting results stem from changing your way of life. That includes a healthier diet and active body. Once you get a good rythm, it's really hard to break.
Bingo

Old
04-18-2008, 08:52 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
QUESTION: I have always wondered this. I did two types of Cardio the first time I lost weight. Running normally or intervals (I'd walk to a lamppost, jog, run, run, jog, walk .. repeat until I couldn't go anymore).

Which is better?
You want to cut weight, you want the quickest solution..then my friend, you need to adopt the ''Crossfit'' philosophy.

''Routine is the Ennemy''

Its all about high intensity workouts and being creative. They have very unconventional exercises that are very effective.
I've never seen such quick results than with Crossfit. Its simply the best.

You can go on crossfit.com for the daily routine, if you are serious with it, you'll see instant results..no joke, you will notice some type of difference within 2weeks.
They'll even tell you which day is your rest day.
Every morning go on this site, and check the daily exercises. If you have any questions, the FAQ page is perfect. If there's some exercises you dont understand, you'll find the answer. They even tell you how you can do similar exercise if you dont have the required equipment.
There's also explanatory videos for each exercise/workout.

They found the key to success in training, no joke.
High Intensity is they key. Whatever it is that you do, the point of crossfit is to finish your daily routine as fast as you can.
Keeping track of the time it took you is very important as you'll probably re-do the same routine but like a month later.
If you're serious, your time will be better.
Whats good about this high intensity, is that you'll be working your cardio while building your muscles as the same time, Unlike the conventional 30min cardio and then heavy lifting.

Crossfit, less weight, more reps, high intensity, more results! loll

crossfit.com...im telling you..DO IT!
you can even subscribe to a crossfit gym, Only 1 in Mtl.
crossfit.ca for the mtl gym.

If you have any other questions or want to discuss this more, feel free to send me private msgs.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2008, 08:53 PM
Seb
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
You want to cut weight, you want the quickest solution..then my friend, you need to adopt the ''Crossfit'' philosophy.

''Poutine is the Ennemy''
fixed for ya, buddy.

Old
04-18-2008, 08:54 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLcrazy View Post
It's like building muscle...if i could average an increase of 1lb of muscle every 3 weeks I'd very happy! that's 18lbs of quality weight in a year! But all the skinny 15yrs old want to be BEEF and have no patience, so they don't eat more, train like crap and buy those stupid 'SUPER workout X5000 hydro pump' powders for 200$ and 4 weeks later the gained 2lbs of water weight and are pissed off!
lol, I'm always taking 15 pounds and losing 15 pounds all the time. I'll take arround 15 pounds of mass in the summer, then when school starts and there's too many thing to do, my fat % ups a little bit and the muscles go away. haha, it's always like that.

Talking about protein powders, it's so easy as hell to take enough protein with real food.

Old
04-18-2008, 08:54 PM
baboinfou

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarmandaleb View Post
There's a lot of research that supports the idea that interval training is more effective for fat burning, but I've always had a hard time with it, so I just run normally but go for longer runs.
Oh yeah, those intervals are tough!!
I'd say, do intervals once or twice a week and normal run rest of the time...(2-3 times a week)

baboinfou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2008, 08:55 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Kautsitsin View Post
Exactly the thread I was looking for.

PS:If you lose a significant amount of weight,does it balance out your eventual height? I hasn't finished to grow yet.(Growing when it comes down to boys is over until 21 I think)-Physics?

This questions seems absurd,but I'm curious.
I'm not sure exactly what you mean, but we'll use this as an example.

When I'm at 180, I look my height and "taller", even though I'm not. When I'm at 250 (where I am right now).. I look short and stalky, and I'm really not that short (5''11).. but I look about 5'6, because of my weight.

So, if you weigh less, the illusion will be there that you are taller.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2008, 08:56 PM
Seb
Unregistered User

Someone should e-mail this thread to Doug Weight and Sergei Samsonov.

Old
04-18-2008, 08:56 PM
Iwishihadacup

Quote:
or Aaron Ward

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2008, 08:59 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Sergei resigned..he can eat as much as he wants again over the summer.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2008, 09:00 PM
Avim86

Weight lifting is more beneficial if you have a little bit of weight to lose , if you have a lot of weight to lose then I would recommend a nice mix of weight lifting and hardcore cardiovascular workout. The great thing about challenging your body with weight lifting is that by packing on muscle , you continually to burn calories as the days go on even if you aren't working out. I read that for every pound of muscle you put on you lose 35-50 calories per day.

Avim86 is offline   Reply With Quote