HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

OT: Cutting Weight, Gaining Mass, Working Out, etc

Old
04-18-2008, 09:31 PM
CPrice

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHiggs View Post
Anybody using fat burners? I used Hydroxycut last summer and lost quite a bit of weight pretty quickly. That mixed with weights and basketball 3-4 times weekly made me lose 12 pounds in 8 weeks.
I would definately avoid any stimulants like Hydroxycut.

CPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2008, 09:31 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00ks View Post
Very very bad for you. Fat burners are a mix of caffeine and ephedrine and that combination revs your heart like crazy. I was on Ripped fuel for a couple of months. I noticed my heart rate race WHILE I WAS WATCHING TV. Never touched it since.
You can get caffeine-free stuff (that's what my mom used).. and it really helped with the heart-rate raising .. It didn't cut quite as fast as the normal stuff, but it still worked well.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2008, 09:34 PM
Claimed Off Waivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPrice View Post
I would definately avoid any stimulants like Hydroxycut.
I made sure to cut out extra caffeine from coffee and cola during the time I used it. It took about a full week for my body to get used to it, the first few times it felt like my heart was gonna explode.

Claimed Off Waivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2008, 09:59 PM
CPrice

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHiggs View Post
I made sure to cut out extra caffeine from coffee and cola during the time I used it. It took about a full week for my body to get used to it, the first few times it felt like my heart was gonna explode.
My brother took it, said it made him feel like crap. I think a lot of people look towards pills instead of pushing out hard work at the gym. Thats why these companies are making millions. (Im not saying your one of these people)

CPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2008, 10:02 PM
bjac

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
QUESTION: I have always wondered this. I did two types of Cardio the first time I lost weight. Running normally or intervals (I'd walk to a lamppost, jog, run, run, jog, walk .. repeat until I couldn't go anymore).

Which is better?
It depends on what you want. If you want to burn fat, straight up jogging is best. It allows you to go for longer, therefore maintaining a decent heart rate for longer and burning more energy. If you are "training" for a sport (ie. hockey, rugby...) in which requires a good anaerobic base, then sprints intervals are where its at. You should mix jogging days in between interval days to flush the acids out of your legs. But intervals are really only needed if you are trying to improve your athletic proformance in a sport (ie. Speed, acceleration...). Swimming is great, especially if your knees can't take the jogging.

For weights, start with high reps (8-14). This will target tone and definition, as well as add mass. Make sure you eat alot of protein, and you'd actually be suprised how many carbs you need to build muscle. The people who say to completely drop carbs from your diet are crazy. If you do that you simply won't have the energy to actually work out OR for your body to build muscle... After a couple months you can drop the reps down, to build strength faster.

The biggest thing is diet... Cook for yourself. Stuff like rice, frozen vegetables, salmon/tuna, chicken, oatmeal, fruits, seeds should be the base of your diet. Stay away from fatty things (junk food, cheese, poutine...) but once again, you should be getting adequate carbs... IF you do eat out, just think about where you go. If you have a choice between McDonalds and Pita Pit, I think the healthiest choice is obvious.

bjac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2008, 10:12 PM
speed11

i went from being a fat bastid (202 lbs, 25% bf) to this is in about 16-17 months.

(168lbs 7.8bf%)

A lot of what bjac is right, about the running, lifting and what not.

Do not cut out meals, that's the dumbest thing to do, the less frequent you eat, the slower your metabolism is. Obviously eating the right things, and often. I eat like 7-9 times a day but i also lift heavy, do cardio 4-5 times a week and recreational sports.

If you have any questions, just PM me.

speed11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2008, 10:14 PM
Seb
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Seb
Do you really look like a red X now?

EDIT : nvm it doesnt make sense anymore.

Seb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2008, 10:26 PM
Shred

Nice thread! Been working out for a year and a half now but I'm actually trying to gain mass, not lose (got trouble actually keeping the pounds ON). Seems like most of the advice in here is to lose weight so maybe I'm in the wrong thread. Definitely very interesting though, I need to read more on the subject to get some productive training going on in the summer.

Shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2008, 10:44 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

vCash: 1000
Since we gonna post pics... this is me, 6 years ago, working as a bouncer and engaging in polite conversation with a frakkin' cop. I still look the same except i have whiter hair.

Every winter in put on 25 lbs on average and i lose it with Instinctive training, the TUT principle and very lazy workouts that are very effective for me. I have run 4 marathons up to now and all i can recommend is:

- Lay off any white stuff when you eat: bread, pasta, sugar, milk, etc

- Variety is the best way to generate muscle fiber: do NOT repeat the same exercises you did last week, keep your body always having to adapt to what you throw at it. Routine is deadly; your body will not change if you do wimpy reps with a woman sized weight. SHOCK your body into adapting to your workouts; that how they did it in the 300 movie.

- QUALITY in reps is paramount: many studies have shown that when you do less reps (3X8 instead of 4X10) with more weight you WILL develop more muscle fiber. And to do that you need to use the TUT method wich means Time Under Tension. Any excentric movement (away from your body) must be quicker than the concentric one (going towards your body). an example: when you bench press you count 1-2-3 in your mind while pushing the weight, but you let it go down slower and count up to 5. Simple! Do that with EVERY exercise: use the TUT principle and do less reps but start with a higher weight.

- And WHY do you need more muscle fibers? Simply because at rest they burn more calories and the more the fibers, the more calories burned while doing nothing. It means you are slimming down while sleeping!

- As for cardio, just make sure that you work out your heart at the fat burning limit at least 3X20 minutes per week. You dont need to be out of breath, you just need to use the formula Franchise player posted in here and find something (cycling, running, not swimming, etc) that will keep you in the 85% zone.

These are tried and tested methods not by me but by many many people who have used them and lost weight. And these are very sound methods also that do not promote using anything but good food and no additives, protein powder or fat burners wich do more harm than good.

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2008, 10:53 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjac View Post
...Stay away from fatty things (junk food, cheese, poutine...)...
Begone you heathen anti-poutinist!

Old
04-18-2008, 11:06 PM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Quote:
Just a thread for everyone here doing any of these things. Hopefully some of us can turn to other posters for motivation, success stories, workout plan advice, supplement advice, diet advice, etc.

For me, I'm back to the cutting weight stage. I had gotten out of before.. but then I gained a bunch back working at a Pizza Hut for 10 hours per day.

Anyway, I'm looking to cut about 30-40 pounds, starting Monday. Right now, to start, I'm just planning on improving my diet (No sweets, more protein, less fat intake) to go along with a 1 1/2 hour workout (1 hour lift, 30 min cardio) and see where that gets me after a six week cycle. I'm going to give these a 5-6 month period.

Any tips would be appreciated.

PS. This thread is to help EVERYONE, not just me.
I am a personal trainer on my spare time, if you can`t get to any results and have access to a gym pm me

VAN-HAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2008, 11:12 PM
Ipousse Lapuck

Im in! My plan was to lose weight in Ecuador but the family where I live at ONLY RICE but Im leaving this week and from there Im starting to lose weight!

I lost weight last summer and got in pretty good shape and what I did was:

Stop eating bread after 1PM (lunch)
Stop eating fruits after 5PM (Before Dinner) because theres a lot of sugar in it
Stop eating at 7PM So you dont get useless calories in

Eat only light meats and dairy products and wheat bread (I do it all the time)

Eat lots of veggies at luch and supper and fruits in the morning and bread with breakfast and lunch! Reduce sugar as much as you can and fat, dont overuse salt (because it makes you keep water inside and your system is nto clean (something like that))

That was not too hard to do and worked really great I lost 5 percent of my body fat in 3 weeks.

For the training I did muscular training 4 times a week and an hour of cardio everyday (mostly tennis or hockey)

Anyway good luck Natey! (and to me too)

Ipousse Lapuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2008, 11:53 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ipousse Lapuck View Post
...dont overuse salt (because it makes you keep water inside and your system is nto clean (something like that))..
Salt makes your body retain water. And even without using to much salt, a lot of people need to drink a LOT more water so that their body can work better.

A liter per day at least.

Old
04-18-2008, 11:57 PM
Ipousse Lapuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Poutine View Post
Salt makes your body retain water. And even without using to much salt, a lot of people need to drink a LOT more water so that their body can work better.

I love water thought so its not so bad... use Crystal Light it makes it less boring!

Ipousse Lapuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2008, 01:02 AM
bipolarhabfan

Quote:
Just a thread for everyone here doing any of these things. Hopefully some of us can turn to other posters for motivation, success stories, workout plan advice, supplement advice, diet advice, etc.

For me, I'm back to the cutting weight stage. I had gotten out of before.. but then I gained a bunch back working at a Pizza Hut for 10 hours per day.

Anyway, I'm looking to cut about 30-40 pounds, starting Monday. Right now, to start, I'm just planning on improving my diet (No sweets, more protein, less fat intake) to go along with a 1 1/2 hour workout (1 hour lift, 30 min cardio) and see where that gets me after a six week cycle. I'm going to give these a 5-6 month period.

Any tips would be appreciated.

PS. This thread is to help EVERYONE, not just me.
I would personally increase the amount of cardio (45-60) you do and reduce the weights (30-45). Do not neglect the weights, however, as muscle burns more calories than fat. What is key to loosing weight and gaining lean mass is to constantly challenge your body. If you are jogging or riding the stationary bike, for example, do not go at a constant pace. Vary the pace of your run. Go slow for a mile than up the tempo for a half mile, etc. Same goes for the bike.

The most important thing that you can do to reduce your weight is diet. Eat healthier foods, reduce refined sugars, simple carbs, up the amount of fish you eat, and eliminate all alcohol, especially beer. Do not put any foods on a do not eat list as this will only make you obsess over that specific food. You can eat chocolate, for instance, but before you do divide it into a small portions. And, water is key because many times your hunger is not a hunger for food but for water.

bipolarhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2008, 02:19 AM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ipousse Lapuck View Post
Im in! My plan was to lose weight in Ecuador but the family where I live at ONLY RICE but Im leaving this week and from there Im starting to lose weight!

I lost weight last summer and got in pretty good shape and what I did was:

Stop eating bread after 1PM (lunch)
Stop eating fruits after 5PM (Before Dinner) because theres a lot of sugar in it
Stop eating at 7PM So you dont get useless calories in

Eat only light meats and dairy products and wheat bread (I do it all the time)

Eat lots of veggies at luch and supper and fruits in the morning and bread with breakfast and lunch! Reduce sugar as much as you can and fat, dont overuse salt (because it makes you keep water inside and your system is nto clean (something like that))

That was not too hard to do and worked really great I lost 5 percent of my body fat in 3 weeks.

For the training I did muscular training 4 times a week and an hour of cardio everyday (mostly tennis or hockey)

Anyway good luck Natey! (and to me too)
Great thread guys. I like this post and I like bipolar's post with regards to dieting.

It's important not to take in too many calories before going to bed. That's a real killer. You should finish your last big meal four hours before you sleep. You can have a snack after that, but only a small one (and skip that too if you can).

The saying is: 'Eat like a king for breakfast, like a prince for lunch, and like a pauper for dinner.'

You're supposed to eat smaller portions more frequently (6x/day) mixing in all the food groups, but you can be tempted to eat larger portions more often that way, so be careful. This involves a lot of prep work (cutting veggies/fruit, buying tupperware/etc.) but it's doable. Otherwise, just keep your portions under control (look it up). This is a biggy.

I only eat bread once a day. So if I've had a sandwich for lunch, I know I can't have pizza (healthy pizza) later.

Drink 8 glass of water a day and mix in cut fruit with it. Don't drink too much mineral water because it will dry you out. That Eauclair electrolyte water is good as is green tea. Low in calories and keeps your water intake interesting.

For food: variety is the key. I've put a bunch of food that I eat into a spreadsheet so I can see the nutritional value I'm taking in and make sure I'm getting everything across the board. Also, do NOT neglect carbs or fat, just don't eat bad carbs and fats and balance protein-carbs-fat like maybe 45%-35%-20%. I also stopped eating fast food and usually say no to any kind of junk food. It's all refined carbs and sugar. It's like any other drug, you have to teach your body not to crave these things and eat the healthy stuff you like. That stuff is poison for your body.

Guys who build mass often look like morons, but it's all subjective I guess. Some girls go for that, some don't. Most don't in my experience, but whatever. I've read books on workouts for your body type: if you have similar chest-stomach-hips you should focus on your abs/lower back; if you have a v-shape upper body, focus on your legs more; if you are all legs, balance out your upper body more.

NHL guys do a pyramid workout. The first two months of the offseason they work on their aerobic fitness. Then the next month they mix in anaerobic interval stuff more and more and then start the weights. Hockey for Dummies has an example of Al Macinnis's offseason routine. During the season they'll ride the bike and do weight if they have an extended layoff, but generally stay out of the gym. They bike after heavy workouts (aerobic, game days) to get the lactic acid out of their muscles.

Eating is the key though. If you want my spreadsheet (it's far from complete), PM me and I'll send it to you. I started by adding in all the foods I now eat (Subway, fast food etc. ... ice cream ... everything) to see what I've been doing normally, then I researched Superfoods, etc. and started putting together simple menus that included eating out for myself. It's easier to eat out in California because you can find healthy food, not so easy in Montreal. Especially in the winter when you are sitting around more. You really have to be careful.

Alcohol: I've found that moderate drinking gives me a buzz and I avoid putting on weight (when we get drunk, we tend to eat and we tend to eat just before going to bed... bad news). I take at least two days off from alcohol per week. When I drink, I'll have no more than one drink per hour for three hours. Only three drinks (bottles of bear, not pints... or maybe one pint and two bottles). I could have up to four bottles because I weight 185 and my blood-alcohol level would still be ok. Drinking to get drunk is a big mistake, so you have to teach your body to take in lower amounts of alcohol over longer periods of time (i.e. one drink per hour). If you stick with it, your tolerance will go down and your buzz will go up, just wait and see. I set my cell phone alarm to let me know when I can have another and eat something or have some water in between drinks (especially at playoff time). If I'm at a crazy party, I allow myself to bend the rules a bit, but I don't break and go crazy. That's key. Feels good the next day to know you feel better than you would have and that you stayed in control and have will power. If you are a problem drinker, take a week off before doing moderate drinking. If you are an alcoholic, you need to get help and get off it for good.

Pot and drugs are another problem. They have to be done under control, or quit. The problem is drugs + food again, just like alcohol + food. And add laying around to that. Bad combinations. Boring too.

Get up early, eat a piece of fruit and do circuit training at the gym (alternate between cardio machines), or go for a jog. If you have bad knees, ride your bike up Mont Royal or stick to the gym (but skip the treadmill). Research diets for cardio and diets for weight lifting. There are different before and after diets for cardio and weights. Very important.

If you lift at night, you should build your base throughout the day. I have this in note form in my spreadsheet.

Don't lose more than two pounds a week, don't skip any foods. If you build good dietary and exercise habits, you'll feel awesome and there will be no rush. Try to do things that are fun like playing hockey as much as you can and then use the gym to fill the rest of the time. Don't slack off in the winter, though I know it's hard to get up and go to the gym when it's ugly outside.

On and on.

The joke about teh girlfriend is true. It's hard to lose weight if your girl has bad habits. Or even your roommate. Surround yourself with teh right people if they don't have the same goals as you do. Don't preach to people about their diets though, they'll hate you.

Don't mean to sound like a know-it-all (I'm not). Those are just notes I've been compiling for myself. Depends what goal you have in mind. Right now it seems like you just want to lose weight without losing too much muscle mass. And then get into weight training when you get within a decent range of your proper body weight for your height.

I'm not a weight lifting expert, but I know rest is the key. Guys say you have to get in the gym as much as possible, but I've read that you need quality rest and nutrition more than anything and 2-3 days in the gym to start and focus on cardio. I've never heard about mixing cardio and interval at the beginning, but maybe that works too. Don't know.

You can work out all you want, but if you don't eat properly (the right foods at the right times and with the right portion and suited for the activity you are about to do or have just completed), you're wasting your time.

Good luck. I've learned a few things from this thread. Looking forward to reading more.

Last edited by tinyzombies: 04-19-2008 at 02:48 AM.
tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2008, 06:43 AM
GNick42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee96 View Post
dont drink beer.

ive lost 30lbs since I started my diet. beer is the hardest thing to stay away from. (when you go for supper with friends, clubbing, to a bar).

drink water, and like mentioned, do more cardio
I heard that beer in moderation...was good for your health

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2008, 07:09 AM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee96
dont drink beer.
Pffffffftt!! Thats just heresy... how am i going to eat my cereals in the morning if i dont put them in beer? Tell me that wise guy!

Beer is a frakkin' food group along with poutine and should not be trifled with and buying beer supports the Habs so dont talk to me about not supporting my hockey club.

"dont drink beer" Lame advice THAT is...!

Old
04-19-2008, 08:06 AM
speed11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Poutine View Post

why the sad face, i drink close to 2 gallons of water a day, granted it gets tiresome, but water > beer :O

and people saying no poutine, or no beer, you're crazy, everything in moderation!

speed11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2008, 08:25 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

A beer a day is apparently good for you, I've heard. Don't know how.. but I'm not going to complain.

I'll likely have my cheat day, once a week, where I get ****faced.. but I really don't mind if it takes an extra month or two .. as long as I can still get hammered.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2008, 11:36 AM
anarmandaleb

Quote:
A beer a day is apparently good for you, I've heard. Don't know how.. but I'm not going to complain.

I'll likely have my cheat day, once a week, where I get ****faced.. but I really don't mind if it takes an extra month or two .. as long as I can still get hammered.
I lost about 40lb by using the cheat day method. Then I took away my cheat day and it had a very negative impact on my diet. I gained 10lb back. So now I'm back at 20 to lose instead of 10. I've never been "big" by anybody's standards but I am a girl and you know how we are. In shape is not enough, we have to be thin. Diet makes a huge impact on how much weight you lose, so it's important to keep that in check, but it's also important not to eliminate anything because you'll only crave it and obsess over it.
My advice is to always have a cheat day. You'll find that when you get to it, most of the time you just end up splurging a little instead of going nuts the whole day.

anarmandaleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 01:21 PM
cjbhab
Go Habs Go

great thread people!!

i've gone from 231-213 lbs since this was posted, lol!

my goal is 190 by September 5/08.

didn't gain any height with your methods though haha, jk, still 6'3"

cjbhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 01:31 PM
Richybaby

Protein wont help you

Richybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 01:40 PM
Mats NAslund

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpreeEndaz View Post
If you want to lose weight, you better start by only cardiovascular in my humble opinion, weight lifting is a good way to lose weight but it would take more time I think but I'm not an expert either.
Ideally you want to do both weight lift and cardio. Weight lifting burns more fat then people think. Cardio is very important as it will build your stamina and increase the heart rate which also is important when trying to lose weight. Remember one thing muscle weighs more then fat, so while trimming down fat and increasing muscle mass you may not see a huge weight loss but you notice a huge loss in FAT. Doing 15 minutes of cardio after a workout will also help with the pain you feel the next day after a workout.

Mats NAslund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 01:40 PM
MasterD

On January 8th this year I woke up and «realized» I was a fat ****. I'm 6'2'' and I was at 261 pounds on that morning...

The same day, I joined the gym and started doing the elliptical cardio machine for 45 minutes, 4 times a week or more. I also added to that about 20 minutes of weight lifting ust to maintant what I had, because when you do too much cardio you can degrade your muscles...

I also completely revamped my diet, added LOTS of fruits and veggies, lots of proteins, cut back the fat to almost zero... The only thing I'm still guilty of on a regular basis is bread and peanut butter.

So yeah, after a month of that diet/workout combo I had lost 20 pounds... 2 weeks after I had lost another 10 pounds... and from there, around 230 pounds, I started cutting back from my cardio and adding time to weight lifting... and cranking up the weights.

Today I'm at 216, and I do an hour of weight lifting 4 times a week with around 30mins of cardio almost every time I go to the gym, but sometimes I do only weights. The weight loss is very slowed down, but I still see and feel that I'm getting leaner and leaner, my clothes don't fit me anymore, and I see muscle mass gains through the last layer of fat I have...

You should follow a similar pattern, you'll see results in no time!

MasterD is offline   Reply With Quote