HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Koivu and Cube In Tonight!!! Streit Game time decision.

Old
04-18-2008, 09:28 PM
m00ks

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
I came from Tony Marinaro..... He's saying its a 100% certainty that Saku is gonna play tomorrow, He's claiming a source of the utmost reliability..... Mitch Melnick is running with it.... Pierre McGuire said it was great news.... It has been on every news update for the last 1:30 that I listened to the station.

Lets remember we all jumped on team 990 (myself included) when they reported the broken foot 3 weeks ago.... We were all wrong then.
lol Pierre's reaction was funny though. Long silence and Tony was like "Hello", Pierre's goes "I'm here.". Seems like he doesn't think much of Koivu's return which is warranted since he's not going to bury the Bruins by himself.

m00ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2008, 09:30 PM
Mooch

Send a message via MSN to Mooch
If Streit does not return tomorrow, and Koivu returns, id like to see Koivu on the point tomorrow in the PP unit.

A second unit of Sergei, Higgins, Ryder with Hammer and Koivu manning the points could work i think. Higgins hasen't done much, but he seems comfortable enough to play the C position on the PP, and Koivu would give a little more play making ability in the backend imo with not Striet.

what does everyone else think?

Mooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2008, 09:34 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooch View Post
If Streit does not return tomorrow, and Koivu returns, id like to see Koivu on the point tomorrow in the PP unit.

A second unit of Sergei, Higgins, Ryder with Hammer and Koivu manning the points could work i think. Higgins hasen't done much, but he seems comfortable enough to play the C position on the PP, and Koivu would give a little more play making ability in the backend imo with not Striet.

I'd keep Koivu at centre.... and SKost on the point.... The faceoff ability of Koivu is huge; especially an offensive zone f/o on the PP.... and he's better down low, coming out of the corner IMO.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2008, 09:36 PM
Mooch

Quote:
I'd keep Koivu at centre.... and SKost on the point.... The faceoff ability of Koivu is huge; especially an offensive zone f/o on the PP.... and he's better down low, coming out of the corner IMO.
Actually that's a great point. Completely forgot about Kost on the point. One thing I hope Koivu can do is spark Higgins and/or Ryder. One of the two have to step it up, if not both.

Old
04-18-2008, 09:45 PM
NewGuy

Quote:

I'd like to see Kovalev on the point with Markov, Plekanec along the half boards and Koivu and Kostitsyn near the goal line or around the net.

If the Bruins still play tight on Kovalev at the point then it could open something up down low.

For the second unit i'd like to see S. Kostitsyn on the half boards with Hamrlik and Brisebois at the points and Higgins and Latendresse (or Lapierre) around or in front of the net. All they should do is get the puck to the net and dig away until the whistle goes.

NewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2008, 09:50 PM
Mooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewGuy View Post
I'd like to see Kovalev on the point with Markov, Plekanec along the half boards and Koivu and Kostitsyn near the goal line or around the net.

If the Bruins still play tight on Kovalev at the point then it could open something up down low.

For the second unit i'd like to see S. Kostitsyn on the half boards with Hamrlik and Brisebois at the points and Higgins and Latendresse (or Lapierre) around or in front of the net. All they should do is get the puck to the net and dig away until the whistle goes.
A lot of things could "potentially" work, and if the PP stink the joint tomorrow, i really hope Carbo tries something new, includig possibly what you mentioned which has been done in the past. Although it was last year when Kovalev was in a different world. Kovalev on the point this year could be a different story.

Old
04-18-2008, 09:55 PM
NewGuy

Quote:
A lot of things could "potentially" work, and if the PP stink the joint tomorrow, i really hope Carbo tries something new, includig possibly what you mentioned which has been done in the past. Although it was last year when Kovalev was in a different world. Kovalev on the point this year could be a different story.
I just think they need to throw a different look at the Bruins. Instead of passing it around looking for the open shot, they should just get the puck to the front of the net and dig. Right now the power play is too orderly and that plays right into the Bruins' hands. They need to throw some chaos in there, that's how Brisebois' goal in game 4 happened.

NewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2008, 10:04 PM
Mooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewGuy View Post
I just think they need to throw a different look at the Bruins. Instead of passing it around looking for the open shot, they should just get the puck to the front of the net and dig. Right now the power play is too orderly and that plays right into the Bruins' hands. They need to throw some chaos in there, that's how Brisebois' goal in game 4 happened.
Yep, completely agree. Lats should be on the PP over ryder imo, atleast we can park him in front of Thomas. Ryder has been completely useless. The effort is somewhat there, but the finish certainly is not.

Old
04-18-2008, 10:06 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Yep, completely agree. Lats should be on the PP over ryder imo, atleast we can park him in front of Thomas. Ryder has been completely useless. The effort is somewhat there, but the finish certainly is not.
I agree... we need to start getting someone in front of the net on that second unit.... Its not something we utilize on either unit.

Sometimes when its not working we need to get back to simplifying things.... shots and traffic.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2008, 10:19 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Just heard on Team 990... Saku will definately play tomorrow
SakU Saku! Saku!

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2008, 10:39 PM
cap10bfl

Send a message via MSN to cap10bfl
i am pretty sure that for tomorrow's game, our forwards for the first power play unit will be higgins-koivu-kovalev, and that our second unit will consist of plekanec with the kostitsyn bros

and i predict the habs will score 3 powerplay goals because chara will be confused like this:

cap10bfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2008, 10:45 PM
Rise from the Ashes
Price defies corsi

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
This means a win. Inspiration and the fact that they wont want to dissapoint the captain will make the difference.

Rise from the Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2008, 11:02 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 50
With Koivu back, the Habs already have a moral victory for tomorrow!

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2008, 11:10 PM
Habs514

My brother spoke with Boullion at the airport today and he told him he expects to play. Koivu looked fine. He was walking normaly with no limp through the security checkpoint.

Habs514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2008, 11:48 PM
Teufelsdreck

Koivu's return will take some pressure off the high-scoring Bégin-Smolinski-Kostopoulos line.

Teufelsdreck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2008, 11:58 PM
Habitants

WWOOOOOTTT!!!

<<<<<see avatar!

Saku FTW!

Habitants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2008, 02:15 AM
brownman*

SAAAAAAAAKU!!!

SAAAAAAAAKU!!!

SAAAAAAAAKU!!!

SAAAAAAAAKU!!!

SAAAAAAAAKU!!!

SAAAAAAAAKU!!!

brownman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2008, 04:16 AM
Naoned
HFBoards Sponsor

Welcome back, Saks.

Naoned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2008, 04:56 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:

Actually, I'd like to see koivu at center. As beaker already said, his faceoff ability is huge. Plus, I want a trigger man on the point, not a playmaker. Markov is usually reluctant to shoot the puck, so I'd prefer his partner to not be shy about shooting the puck. The way the B's are killing penalties, its going to take shots from the point to solve them. The last thing we need is the D passing up point shots at this point.

So, the question becomes, who do I put on the point instead? I still think brisebois is the best choice, not the ideal choice but the best choice available. He's not shy of putting the puck on net and he's veteran enough to know that it doesn't have be a hard shot, just accurate. Also, since breezer is a right handed shot, I'd like him and markov to switch sides. Then the sticks would be inverted for one timer oppurtunities from both sides of the point.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2008, 05:53 AM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

I'm assuming if Saku plays, Bouillon is probably good to go?

Bad Natey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2008, 08:43 AM
happyhab*

We could see both of them in the lineup today

happyhab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2008, 08:44 AM
BLONG7

Koivu and Cube in...Obyrne and Ryder to sit?

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2008, 09:31 AM
JMMR

Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
Koivu and Cube in...Obyrne and Ryder to sit?
If they both play I would imagine those would be the scratches yes.

JMMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2008, 09:36 AM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montréal Russians View Post
This means a win. Inspiration and the fact that they wont want to dissapoint the captain will make the difference.
And if the Bruins would decide to dress Bergeron ? THAT is inspiration !

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2008, 09:45 AM
HabsPack

If the Habs can get their PP going tonight it'll be all over for the B's, if the PP comes up with a big fat zero, then there will be a game 7.

Boston's whole approach is to play defensive 5 on 5, keep it a low scoring game and wait for a break or a PP opportunity.

If Koivu does play (highly likely I would guess), hopefully that's what the Habs need to get that PP working regardless of whether Saks is on the #1 or 2 unit (Carbo very well might change things up personnel wise considering both PP unit's been pathetic this series).

HabsPack is offline   Reply With Quote