HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospecct Goepfert to turn pro?

Closed Thread

Old
05-14-2004, 03:08 PM
NJDraft

vCash: 500
Prospecct Goepfert to turn pro?

Dismisses Goepfert From Team
Compiled by USCHO Staff

PROVIDENCE, R.I. — Providence coach Paul Pooley has dismissed goalie Bobby Goepfert from the team for "violations of team rules."

No further details were given by the school.

Goepfert, a native of Kings Park, N.Y., recently completed his sophomore season. He posted a 21-15-4 record, .921 save percentage and a 2.46 goals against average in 41 career games at Providence.

A Penguin draft,Goepfert was a member of the 2002-03 U.S. World Junior team.

Old
05-14-2004, 03:30 PM
Alex Kovalev

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Leo
Dismisses Goepfert From Team
Compiled by USCHO Staff

PROVIDENCE, R.I. Providence coach Paul Pooley has dismissed goalie Bobby Goepfert from the team for "violations of team rules."

No further details were given by the school.

Goepfert, a native of Kings Park, N.Y., recently completed his sophomore season. He posted a 21-15-4 record, .921 save percentage and a 2.46 goals against average in 41 career games at Providence.

A Penguin draft,Goepfert was a member of the 2002-03 U.S. World Junior team.

Do you have a link by any chance?

Old
05-14-2004, 03:31 PM
Jeff Goldblum

I wonder what this means and why he was dismissed. I guess he could fit in the ECHL next season. Is he too old to play juniors?

If he signs, I wonder if the Pens will just leave Duba in Europe?

Old
05-14-2004, 03:35 PM
Uncle Machete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Kovalev
Do you have a link by any chance?
http://www.insidecollegehockey.com/7...pfert_0237.htm

Old
05-14-2004, 03:46 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Death To Selfies!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pens4ever
I wonder what this means and why he was dismissed. I guess he could fit in the ECHL next season. Is he too old to play juniors?

If he signs, I wonder if the Pens will just leave Duba in Europe?
Sucks for Duba...

Old
05-14-2004, 03:53 PM
Jacob

Why would they dismiss their starting goaltender? He must have done something really bad.

I don't know what his options are. He could transfer to another school, maybe go back to the USHL (a significant step down), or sign in Europe, but after a year he becomes a UFA.

I'd first encourage him to transfer to another school, but if not, send him to the ECHL. He has the potential to be a good NHL goaltender, IMO, but if he's a bad seed than I wouldn't make him a top priority.

Last edited by Jacob: 05-14-2004 at 03:58 PM.
Old
05-14-2004, 03:54 PM
Alex Kovalev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki
Thanks Nikki

Old
05-14-2004, 04:48 PM

IMO, Geopfert is a better prospect for the Pens than most people think. I would love to see him and Fluery play at WB/S next year.

Old
05-14-2004, 05:02 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by #66
IMO, Geopfert is a better prospect for the Pens than most people think. I would love to see him and Fluery play at WB/S next year.
He's a good prospect, but quite frankly I don't think he's even AHL ready. He struggled with consistency this past season. Don't get me wrong, I really like Goepfert, but I don't see him being even ready for AHL level just yet. Maybe ECHL?

Old
05-14-2004, 05:20 PM
Jeff Goldblum

He's quite talented, and I don't doubt that he has NHL skills. I just assumed that he'd finish out college, spend some time in the AHL, and then be NHL ready (for this team or another). Now that college doesn't seem like an option, I think sharing time with Exter in the ECHL would be good for him. Move Boucher up to the AHL as a backup. We have quite a logjam at goalie now. It's a good problem to have though.

Old
05-14-2004, 07:21 PM
Dextrous*

Nah we got at LEAST 3 young goalies ahead of him. And i think if fleury is our future starter we should have a more verteran backup(I think chiodo could start somewhere else and caron maybe a backup elsewhere) to help him. So i dont think we should sign him. Hes nowhere since those wjcs

Old
05-14-2004, 07:45 PM
clefty
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by acid_soulpens
Nah we got at LEAST 3 young goalies ahead of him. And i think if fleury is our future starter we should have a more verteran backup(I think chiodo could start somewhere else and caron maybe a backup elsewhere) to help him. So i dont think we should sign him. Hes nowhere since those wjcs
Thats not true at all. Just because he hasn't received as much publicity and hype as other prospects, it doesn't mean he hasn't done anything. Goepfert has played great for Providence. He was backup to a senior in his first season, which is fair enough, but was exceptional this season. He was 6-6-1 last season, but his save pct. and GAA were really good (.924, GAA of 2.34). This year, he had a good looking record of 15-9-3 and an impressive .918 save pct. and a 2.53 GAA. Rival coach Jack Parker from BU paid him one hell of a compliment this season:

Quote:
It is amazing to me that we played as well as we did and did not come away with a win. I thought we played a great game, but tonight their goalie played like Ken Dryden. He made some spectacular saves."
http://www.bu.edu/athletics/icehocke...4-vs-pc-2.html

Obviously he's exaggerating, but it speaks volumes that his rivals respect him so much and hold him so highly.

I think Goepfert is easily our most underrated prospect.

Old
05-14-2004, 10:43 PM
Jacob

Goepfert finished this past season really strong. Early on, his GAA was up in the high 3's but he carried his team down the stretch.

I haven't watched him extensively, but I'd agree that he probably isn't ready for the AHL. ECHL is definitely more like it.

Oilers Chick, is it out of the realm of possibility that he goes to another school? If that's even an option, I don't know who's in the market for a goaltender.

Last edited by Jacob: 05-14-2004 at 10:46 PM.
Old
05-15-2004, 12:38 AM
Jacob

Hopefully it does for his career what it did for Hugh Grant.

Closed Thread