HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Hamilton, Cincinnati Thread, Part III

Closed Thread

Old
04-18-2008, 07:47 PM
Galchenyuk x 27

vCash: 50
It was played April 12th

we win 4-1

Old
04-18-2008, 08:20 PM
Iwishihadacup

vCash: 500
well.. let us just pretend they are in the playoffs

OKAAAY?

Old
04-18-2008, 09:43 PM
Schooner Guy

Very well said Montreal. You described the Bulldogs place/role to a tee.

Old
04-18-2008, 09:55 PM
Iwishihadacup

the idea of free agents is crucial to a AHL team that is associated with a youth movement team like the habs GJ Dogs!!

Old
04-19-2008, 07:21 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue'sClues View Post
Not trying to be mean here but this clearly comes from someone whom, I guessing here, has spent very little money to watch the Dogs play.
Or at least, the majority of whose money spent watching them has gone into the pockets of MLSE via the Marlies.
Quote:
I like what Andlauer has in mind but I'm not sure Montreal will let him do it. I also understand that you don't want to go as far as a Chicago set-up, development is always, and should be a major issue, but team success should be too.
My main point is that I don't think it's particularly feasible to go much further on the vets angle than the team already did this year. I can't tell from the article whether Andlauer actually thinks it is, or whether he's just blowing some PR smoke, or whether (as would hopefully be the real case) it's not really so much a question of "quantity" but more of "quality" of potential vets in question.
Quote:
I, like a lot of people here (in Hamilton), are going to take a wait and see position. This coming winter I won't be investing another 2 grand into watching a team that success doesn't seem to be a major, if any, concern of the Montreal Canadiens.
I really can't understand that perspective, particularly coming as it does in the wake of last year's tremendous success. I don't think it can be under-emphasised that the AHL is a development league, and the interests of the development team MUST be subordinate to those of the big league team. But that being said, it should also be obvious that success of the development team is still an interest of the big league team. It may not be a "major one", but it's certainly one that I'm sure Bob Gainey would nevertheless invest some serious work in. I'm sure he's thrilled with the Calder Cup run and what that has meant to the development of the Habs prospects, and he would repeat that experience every year if he had the choice.

And in fact, Gainey _has_ put more than a fair amount of work outside of the developmental box into keeping the Dogs competitive IMHO. This year, probably not all of it worked out the way the team had hoped, that's all. Jamie Rivers ran off, Biron was hurt, Manlow and Baines are decent grinders but that's about it, Corso and Degon came in, the experiments with Lahti and Bouchard didn't really pan out, etc. The veteran presences were in evidence. It will be interesting (to me anyway) to see to what extent the Habs are able to convince the new class of former-but-now-nonprospects like Ferland, Locke, Milroy, Danis, Cote to stick around. Because to me, they certainly could help the team. Yet Montreal of course has no obligation to keep them around. And the players themselves may still harbour enough NHL aspiration to want to take a crack in another organization first. I'm not the least bit convinced that the Bulldogs could find better veterans than those on the open market.

And whether they do or don't find better veterans on the open market, I still think it's incumbent on the fan of an AHL team to understand that they're subordinate. That means some years the cupboard will be full up and you'll go on a run, other years might be something of an organizational transition year where more players go up to the NHL and fewer are coming in. It's not as predictably cyclical as, say, junior hockey, but it's still part of the package. And then whether a fan wants to invest in that package with their hard-earned money is of course up to them.

Hopefully if the Habs are an ascendant power in the NHL over the next few years, the Hamilton affiliation will manage to draw a bit of extra attention on that basis, rather than have to fight against it (or at least operate in spite of it) as they sometimes have had to in the past. And perhaps that will help sell the package to the public adequately, even with the development model and inherently subordinate role understood.

Old
04-19-2008, 05:23 PM
Blue'sClues
Miss you "Beetle"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
I really can't understand that perspective, particularly coming as it does in the wake of last year's tremendous success. I don't think it can be under-emphasised that the AHL is a development league, and the interests of the development team MUST be subordinate to those of the big league team. But that being said, it should also be obvious that success of the development team is still an interest of the big league team. It may not be a "major one", but it's certainly one that I'm sure Bob Gainey would nevertheless invest some serious work in. I'm sure he's thrilled with the Calder Cup run and what that has meant to the development of the Habs prospects, and he would repeat that experience every year if he had the choice.

And in fact, Gainey _has_ put more than a fair amount of work outside of the developmental box into keeping the Dogs competitive IMHO. This year, probably not all of it worked out the way the team had hoped, that's all. Jamie Rivers ran off, Biron was hurt, Manlow and Baines are decent grinders but that's about it, Corso and Degon came in, the experiments with Lahti and Bouchard didn't really pan out, etc. The veteran presences were in evidence. It will be interesting (to me anyway) to see to what extent the Habs are able to convince the new class of former-but-now-nonprospects like Ferland, Locke, Milroy, Danis, Cote to stick around. Because to me, they certainly could help the team. Yet Montreal of course has no obligation to keep them around. And the players themselves may still harbour enough NHL aspiration to want to take a crack in another organization first. I'm not the least bit convinced that the Bulldogs could find better veterans than those on the open market.

And whether they do or don't find better veterans on the open market, I still think it's incumbent on the fan of an AHL team to understand that they're subordinate. That means some years the cupboard will be full up and you'll go on a run, other years might be something of an organizational transition year where more players go up to the NHL and fewer are coming in. It's not as predictably cyclical as, say, junior hockey, but it's still part of the package. And then whether a fan wants to invest in that package with their hard-earned money is of course up to them.

Hopefully if the Habs are an ascendant power in the NHL over the next few years, the Hamilton affiliation will manage to draw a bit of extra attention on that basis, rather than have to fight against it (or at least operate in spite of it) as they sometimes have had to in the past. And perhaps that will help sell the package to the public adequately, even with the development model and inherently subordinate role understood.
Missing the playoff 2 out of the last 3 have not been fun to watch. Even the year they did win Gainey decided that Price getting experience was more important than the AHL's, argueably, best goalie sticking around for the playoffs. Yes it worked but please don't tell me Gainey is a genius and knew Price would lead them to the championship, I'm not buying it.
Ask anyone in the Dogs front office from Glenn Stanford on down they were pissed when Halak was sent away and Price was brought in. But that old news.

There are several other reasons not to renew this season, as example, economy of this area, getting to busy, schedule (sometimes 3 games in 4 nights), same teams over and over, and lastly the refs.

It has gotten so freaken bad that I find myself getting frustrated watching these players have to deal with the inconsistent crap these guys call. If I'm getting frustrated as a fan, I can only imagine what the players must be going through. I really fear for the NHL in a few seasons, if you think the refs are bad now, wait till the NHL vets retire in the next few seasons, you're really gonna love the replacements.

Old
04-19-2008, 10:02 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Missing the playoff 2 out of the last 3 have not been fun to watch. Even the year they did win Gainey decided that Price getting experience was more important than the AHL's, argueably, best goalie sticking around for the playoffs. Yes it worked but please don't tell me Gainey is a genius and knew Price would lead them to the championship, I'm not buying it.
Ask anyone in the Dogs front office from Glenn Stanford on down they were pissed when Halak was sent away and Price was brought in. But that old news.

There are several other reasons not to renew this season, as example, economy of this area, getting to busy, schedule (sometimes 3 games in 4 nights), same teams over and over, and lastly the refs.

It has gotten so freaken bad that I find myself getting frustrated watching these players have to deal with the inconsistent crap these guys call. If I'm getting frustrated as a fan, I can only imagine what the players must be going through. I really fear for the NHL in a few seasons, if you think the refs are bad now, wait till the NHL vets retire in the next few seasons, you're really gonna love the replacements.
I see that taste of crow has finally left your system.

I think Gainey and his numerous Cup rings knows a little more about hockey than the ignorant Hamilton media who were proven WRONG! Some NHL GM's said Price's Calder Cup playoff was the most they ever saw one player dominate the AHL playoffs. I doubt Halak would have taken that young Bulldogs team past all those powerhouses. Hamilton was never even behind in a series. You can complain all you want about how Gainey has handled the Bulldogs but to criticize the decision to go with Price in last year's AHL playoffs triumph is just ridiculous.

Old
04-19-2008, 10:08 PM
Blue'sClues
Miss you "Beetle"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
I see that taste of crow has finally left your system.

I think Gainey and his numerous Cup rings knows a little more about hockey than the ignorant Hamilton media who were proven WRONG! Some NHL GM's said Price's Calder Cup playoff was the most they ever saw one player dominate the AHL playoffs. I doubt Halak would have taken that young Bulldogs team past all those powerhouses. Hamilton was never even behind in a series. You can complain all you want about how Gainey has handled the Bulldogs but to criticize the decision to go with Price in last year's AHL playoffs triumph is just ridiculous.

Quote:
Yes it worked but please don't tell me Gainey is a genius and knew Price would lead them to the championship, I'm not buying it.

Old
04-19-2008, 10:26 PM
NWT Habs Fan

The Montreal-Hamilton deal has to work for both parties.

Montreal develops its top prospects in Hamilton until it feels they cannot learn more from being in the AHL. Sometimes that happens too fast and the team is left short changed (this season). Sometimes they fast track some new prospects and they play in Hamilton before anyone expects to see them impact in the AHL (Carey Price in the A last season - that did help get Cup #1).

There is no doubt Gainey knows the benefit of the kids growing up within a winning tradition in their farm team. With the new CBA and more teams promoting younger kids earlier, it is no long predictable. All the "old vets" that used to stick around are much harder to find, and many are trying Europe with the lure of a few more bucks. There should be more and more turnover in the AHL team lineups as teams all struggle with this new reality. Also with kids becoming UFA's quicker, there will be more movement between teams of past-due prospects that just don't cut it with teams any more and are not worth the contract spot.

The AHL has been very up front in its desire to be a 30 team league affiliated with every NHL team one on one. In that model, the "Chicago model" goes the way of the dodo unless a team cannot draft worth beans...and the Habs are not there by any means.

Old
04-20-2008, 01:39 PM
Chris Cutter
Dont make me go nuts

What's going on with the Cyclones?

Old
04-20-2008, 01:51 PM
habsprospects
Irresponsible User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Cutter View Post
What's going on with the Cyclones?
They won the first series 4-0 and they wait after their next opponent...

Habs Prospects website
Old
04-20-2008, 08:41 PM
TheCinBin

Send a message via AIM to TheCinBin
And that next (3rd round, Division final) will be against the Reading Royals. They knocked off the Elmira Jackals tonight in OT to win the hard-fought series.

Old
04-21-2008, 06:09 AM
CBBRH

Send a message via MSN to CBBRH
Janne Lahti is heading back to Finland. He signed a two-year deal with Jokerit Helsinki, the team which had already signed him for the current season until he decided to go overseas.

http://www.jokerit.com/index.php?id=1&nid=499

Old
04-21-2008, 07:49 AM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memo Gonzales View Post
Janne Lahti is heading back to Finland. He signed a two-year deal with Jokerit Helsinki, the team which had already signed him for the current season until he decided to go overseas.

http://www.jokerit.com/index.php?id=1&nid=499
....and the phenom is gone....that wasn't too long, but totally expected.

For a guy who was in some starting lineups, there's a great lesson to be learned here...

Really thought he would have done much better. Looked good in camps. Tells you that camps are not everything...

Old
04-24-2008, 05:24 AM
deandebean

According to Alain Sanscartier, the Hens' analyst on radio, and a well-connected hockey persona in Gatineau (he runs the midget AAA program), what I was hoping for a long time could come to fruition: Benoit Groulx, coach of the Gatineau Olympiques, could be joining the Bulldogs next season.

He would become the FOURTH Piques coach to join the Habs organisation: Burns, Vigneault and Julien...

Old
04-24-2008, 05:43 AM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

So lever is out? Im little surprised by this since he was a real good candidate for the world junior hockey championship...good pick up by the habs if true

Old
04-24-2008, 05:47 AM
deandebean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markov79fan View Post
So lever is out? Im little surprised by this since he was a real good candidate for the world junior hockey championship...good pick up by the habs if true
No, I didn't say that. I just said that Groulx would be going to Hamilton. Maybe as an assistant at first?

As for the world juniors, he already had advised Hockey Canada that he wasn't going to go. And the return of Mario Richer as an assistant to Groulx this season tells me that Mario is next in line.

Old
04-24-2008, 06:57 AM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
According to Alain Sanscartier, the Hens' analyst on radio, and a well-connected hockey persona in Gatineau (he runs the midget AAA program), what I was hoping for a long time could come to fruition: Benoit Groulx, coach of the Gatineau Olympiques, could be joining the Bulldogs next season.

He would become the FOURTH Piques coach to join the Habs organisation: Burns, Vigneault and Julien...
That would be great news. Could Don Lever be a candidate for the Sens? If not, good to see Groulx as an assistant first. But we all know where he's headed after that. He does deserve it though.

Anybody that has Patrick Roy's respect must mean that he's doing something great...

Old
04-24-2008, 07:17 AM
Fozz

Benoit is an amazing coach. It's about time some NHL team grabs him.

Old
04-24-2008, 10:44 AM
habsprospects
Irresponsible User

Don Lever just signed a multi-year contract last summer, he won't leave unless it's for an NHL job.

Old
04-24-2008, 10:53 AM
Bullsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by thief50 View Post
Don Lever just signed a multi-year contract last summer, he won't leave unless it's for an NHL job.
And I hope he doesn't. According to guys like Pierre McGuire Lever is particularly good at helping players improve and develop. For instance talking about Latendresse earlier this year, McGuire said that because it was Don Lever coaching even a semi-vet like Latendresse would benefit from his attentions. The clear implication was that with most AHL coaches that wouldn't be true.

Not that I'm saying they should've sent Tender down. But I'm very, very glad to have Don Lever working with a guy like Chipchura and, next year, Ryan White.

Closed Thread