HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leopold

Old
04-16-2008, 01:18 AM
DRL
Streak killers!

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to DRL Send a message via Yahoo to DRL
Leopold

Im glad to see he finally got dressed and made an impact, being on for the first 3 goals and picking up a few assists. When healthy, there is no doubt he makes the avs a better team. Easily one of our best defencemen in all 3 zones. Too bad the staff lost faith in him with all his injuries, but if he is fully healthy, he should be getting close to 20 mins a game.

I dont know if Finger should be getting scratched though, we need another phyiscal defensemen, i see Sauer make some bone head plays, but he has a done a solid job of containing gaborik, liles is looking suspect again, but i dont see him getting benched by the staff. Even hannan looks brutal at times. Our D has got to be a strength the rest of the way if we are to win this series.

DRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2008, 01:51 AM
shorn89

In the OT on Tuesday Finger looked absolutely lost out there. At one point he got hit by I believe it was Sheppard and got up and just skated around in circles. I thought he might have been concussed by the way he was acting. Sauer and Foote have been lights out against Gaborik, Hannan has played solid and Liles is really stepping up into the play. Finger is the only choice at the moment. With that said what if we dressed 7 defenseman for the next game. Smyth could double shift (he looks like the energizer bunny out there right now) and with Finger playing our defense could be a little more physical and still not give up Leopold's puck handling and offensive skills. I would probably bench McCloud. After Tuesday nights antics the refs will be watching him and he will cost us on the power play.

shorn89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2008, 01:59 AM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorn89 View Post
In the OT on Tuesday Finger looked absolutely lost out there. At one point he got hit by I believe it was Sheppard and got up and just skated around in circles. I thought he might have been concussed by the way he was acting. Sauer and Foote have been lights out against Gaborik, Hannan has played solid and Liles is really stepping up into the play. Finger is the only choice at the moment. With that said what if we dressed 7 defenseman for the next game. Smyth could double shift (he looks like the energizer bunny out there right now) and with Finger playing our defense could be a little more physical and still not give up Leopold's puck handling and offensive skills. I would probably bench McCloud. After Tuesday nights antics the refs will be watching him and he will cost us on the power play.
NO WAY! Also what antics? Hes been great and just stuck up for himself and his teamates as those idiots ran around taking cheapshots. I also believe the refs will be a little busy with Boogaard, Veilleux, Voros, and Fedoruk.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2008, 02:18 AM
shorn89

Neil Smith in the VS telecast made the point of saying that he should just sit in the box and take his minutes and stop acting up. I don't have a problem with his play but he will be a marked man come Thursday by the refs.

Old
04-16-2008, 02:26 AM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorn89 View Post
Neil Smith in the VS telecast made the point of saying that he should just sit in the box and take his minutes and stop acting up. I don't have a problem with his play but he will be a marked man come Thursday by the refs.
I dunno, he'll be watched, but McLeod can make some great hits without breaking the rules. He's pretty much a bigger version of Hinote out there.

As for the defense, I don't see how you can make an argument to insert Finger back in. Salei and Liles were great on the powerplay, now that they can actually attempt shots. Sauer had his ups and downs, but has earned his spot. Plus, I think he's done pretty well with Foote. And Leopold has also earned his spot in Game 5. His two way prowess was a much needed presence.

Ensane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2008, 02:38 AM
shorn89

I agree with you about Leo. I was looking for a creative way to get Fingers physicallity into the game without benching Leo

Old
04-16-2008, 03:23 AM
18Mike18

i feel weird seening him play
prob cuz hes always injured
but when he plays. hes good.

18Mike18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2008, 10:09 AM
WarriorOfGandhi
Was saying Boo-urns

Leopold has more points in one game than Liles has in four

Hannan-Leopold
Sauer-Foote
Finger-Salei

Do it

WarriorOfGandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2008, 10:13 AM
lowayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorOfGandhi View Post

Hannan-Leopold
Sauer-Foote
Finger-Salei

Do it
If finger gets 6th man minutes I am fine with this.

lowayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2008, 03:01 PM
Belgican

Very glad to have Leo back on the ice, he's a very creative 2 way defenseman, and he showed that last game, no way he sits a game again, until he's hurt again.

Good move from Q

Belgican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2008, 04:01 PM
kenny #9

I think our defense is great, but we really miss that booming shot from the point (Rob Blake), although Salei has had a couple nice shots that have resulted in goals.

kenny #9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2008, 04:30 PM
avalanchuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny #9 View Post
I think our defense is great, but we really miss that booming shot from the point (Rob Blake), although Salei has had a couple nice shots that have resulted in goals.
The Avs don't shoot from the point anyway... so who needs to have a booming shot?

avalanchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2008, 05:23 PM
Foppa2118

Keep Finger benched. He hasn't played terrible, but he has looked noticably slower since game one of the playoffs, and Leo played very well, as most of us knew he would. Liles should not be benched. We need his transition game, and he is playing much better than most of the disgruntled posters indicate. Same with Stastny for that matter, but that's another topic. Liles has been contributing offensively, but just not getting the bounces. He's been taking hard shots from the point, but the Wild is very good at blocking shooting lanes. With the Wild being a seemingly faster team than us, scratching our fastest defenseman, that can break down the trap would be a huge mistake IMO. Going with seven D would be a miskate IMO too. We need to be able to roll four forward lines, and our D didn't have to play too many tough minutes with the big lead last night.

Foppa2118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2008, 05:59 PM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
Keep Finger benched. He hasn't played terrible, but he has looked noticably slower since game one of the playoffs, and Leo played very well, as most of us knew he would. Liles should not be benched. We need his transition game, and he is playing much better than most of the disgruntled posters indicate. Same with Stastny for that matter, but that's another topic. Liles has been contributing offensively, but just not getting the bounces. He's been taking hard shots from the point, but the Wild is very good at blocking shooting lanes. With the Wild being a seemingly faster team than us, scratching our fastest defenseman, that can break down the trap would be a huge mistake IMO. Going with seven D would be a miskate IMO too. We need to be able to roll four forward lines, and our D didn't have to play too many tough minutes with the big lead last night.
Agreed with this. For once it's fantastic to have the luxury of having SEVEN defenseman who could feasibly play 20 minutes in a game if needbe. I can't recall ever having that kind of spread out depth. Finger may get a chance in another series, if necessary, but for now Leopold is a better fit against the Wild.

At the same token, it's also great to finally have a third line who can pose a scoring threat, and a fourth line that's well rounded enough to not be a liability, and to sustain real offensive zone pressure.

Every time the announcers refer to how the Wild lean on some of their top defensemen, and how they have guys like Boogaard and Simon playing small minutes, I can't help think "I remember those days!"

Ensane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2008, 06:24 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorOfGandhi View Post

Hannan-Leopold
Sauer-Foote
Finger-Salei

Do it
Sorry, disagree there. Liles is still the best outlet passer and power play QB on the team...even though he's had a season that would indicate otherwise. Q made the right move scratching Finger.

That being said, back to Leo. Fantastic seeing him on the 2nd unit PP w/Salei, both big shots and it paid off.

Av-merican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2008, 06:36 PM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 966
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belgican View Post
Very glad to have Leo back on the ice, he's a very creative 2 way defenseman, and he showed that last game, no way he sits a game again, until he's hurt again.

Good move from Q
IMO Leopold should have been playing as soon as the playoffs started granted he still might have been slightly injured still but the guy has playoff experience going all the way to one game of holding the cup....in fact all our D-man have alot of playoff experience now that I think about it. Sauer and Salei during the Ducks run, Hannan's been to the conference finals, Foote well you know...2 cups.

The Kingslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2008, 07:35 PM
DRL
Streak killers!

Send a message via MSN to DRL Send a message via Yahoo to DRL
I would like to see leopold and salei man the point on the #1 pp unit, their unit was more effective last night, and thats with guys like arnason out there with them and not the likes of forsberg and sakic.

smyth-sakic-forsberg-leopold-salei

DRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2008, 09:29 PM
veryaggressive

Finger makes a mistake and he gets benched for a whole game. How come Liles never gets benched for the zillion mistakes he makes a game.

Hmmm.. I guess Q likes to watch Liles butt from behind the bench.

veryaggressive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2008, 05:53 AM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by veryaggressive View Post
Finger makes a mistake and he gets benched for a whole game. How come Liles never gets benched for the zillion mistakes he makes a game.

Hmmm.. I guess Q likes to watch Liles butt from behind the bench.
Finger didn't get benched for the last play. Q and the rest of the team said they got an unlucky bounce and would have gone the same way to get the puck. He got benched because he has looked very slow the whole series, and Leo is too good to be sitting in the stands. It was the perfect time to bring him in and rest Finger, who may be nursing an injury.

Old
04-17-2008, 06:58 PM
veryaggressive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
Finger didn't get benched for the last play. Q and the rest of the team said they got an unlucky bounce and would have gone the same way to get the puck. He got benched because he has looked very slow the whole series, and Leo is too good to be sitting in the stands. It was the perfect time to bring him in and rest Finger, who may be nursing an injury.
That makes sense. I honestly don't remember that segment where the mistake was made. I only read about it. I thought it could have happened when I was in the restroom.

Let's hope Finger's (injury) isn't anything serious. This team desperately needs Finger's shots from the blueline.

veryaggressive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2008, 08:10 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by veryaggressive View Post
That makes sense. I honestly don't remember that segment where the mistake was made. I only read about it. I thought it could have happened when I was in the restroom.

Let's hope Finger's (injury) isn't anything serious. This team desperately needs Finger's shots from the blueline.
Well, to clarify, only the part about them getting an unlucky bounce and that they would have gone the same way around the net was what the team said. The rest was my opinion.

Old
04-17-2008, 08:36 PM
DarioinDenver

You will know a lot more about Leo in this game. The last game was really a perfect storm for Leopold to play. There was 22 minutes of powerplay, a big lead and Q got the last change.

Expect way more 5v5 play in tonights game. Expect Leo to have a few shifts against Gaborik and Co. because of the last change for Minny. Finger was one of the leading TOI guys on the Avs. I'm not sure you can just bench that and think you're not going to suffer in some way for it. Q has never played Leo huge minutes and if the game is tight late, expect him to shorten up that defensive lineup. Leo has yet to prove he's back when it comes to straight up 5v5 play. To me, that's the biggest scare of putting him in for Finger, and watching Leo struggle to clear his own zone when the Wild are cycling.

DarioinDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2008, 12:40 AM
Huis Clos*
Creamy Hamstrings

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarioinDenver View Post
You will know a lot more about Leo in this game. The last game was really a perfect storm for Leopold to play. There was 22 minutes of powerplay, a big lead and Q got the last change.

Expect way more 5v5 play in tonights game. Expect Leo to have a few shifts against Gaborik and Co. because of the last change for Minny. Finger was one of the leading TOI guys on the Avs. I'm not sure you can just bench that and think you're not going to suffer in some way for it. Q has never played Leo huge minutes and if the game is tight late, expect him to shorten up that defensive lineup. Leo has yet to prove he's back when it comes to straight up 5v5 play. To me, that's the biggest scare of putting him in for Finger, and watching Leo struggle to clear his own zone when the Wild are cycling.
Fair criticisms, but I thought Leo played quite well tonight despite less overall PP time for the Avs. He picked up another assist and had good defensive zone coverage.

Huis Clos* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2008, 04:09 AM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 966
Leo has been great in the games he's played for us I feel bad for Finger but if it aint broke...

The Kingslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2008, 12:21 PM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice berg slim View Post
Leo has been great in the games he's played for us I feel bad for Finger but if it aint broke...
I felt bad for Leopold. He's definately better player than Finger and he was sitting in pressbox. If he just could play 82 games.. He could really show what he's got. Really smart player with good hockey abilities.

Colorado Avalanche is online now   Reply With Quote