HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Thomas Vanek

Closed Thread

Old
04-19-2008, 08:07 PM
ProtestTheHero

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOF View Post
Where were we ranked in real goals. I think it's a joke that they count shootout goals in the total. I consider myself a hardcore fan and I didn't even know they did this until half way through the season.

Just the Shoot-out winner.

Old
04-19-2008, 09:07 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCB View Post
Just the Shoot-out winner.
its still rather stupid though.... it shouldnt count at all in the GF category

Old
04-19-2008, 09:12 PM
Spawn

Quote:
Where were we ranked in real goals. I think it's a joke that they count shootout goals in the total. I consider myself a hardcore fan and I didn't even know they did this until half way through the season.
We were 8th in actual goals scored in the west, 17th in the league. NHL website doesn't count the shootout for the goals for/goals per game stats.

Old
04-19-2008, 09:15 PM
MacTandCheese*

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomo View Post
its amazing what kind of pace vanek went on... he almost got 40 goals again without drury or briere

the guy is a 40 goal scorer, and theres no doubt he will get that next year
He was really missing his game in the first 3/8 to 1/2 of the season then he went on a nice little rip for the second half. I wouldnt mind the 2nd half Vanek, even at his price. There is tons of potential and thats why Lowe was willing to dish out that money as well as the picks that BUF would have received. Doubt anything will come of this. If Eklund hasn't labelled this as e4 then its not happening

Old
04-19-2008, 09:35 PM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomo View Post
its amazing what kind of pace vanek went on... he almost got 40 goals again without drury or briere

the guy is a 40 goal scorer, and theres no doubt he will get that next year
Vanek didn't play with Drury or Briere even when they were still on the team.

Old
04-19-2008, 10:32 PM
Clock

Vanek to Edmonton isn't too likely.

- Darcy isn't happy with Lowe. I highly doubt talking about Vanek again is going to bring up any fond memories.
- The offer doesn't help Buffalo at all, it merely deprives us of a legitimate first liner and gives us a bunch of reserve players. We've got plenty of those as is, while lacking true first-line talent.
- Darcy matched the offer sheet. What's that tell you?
- Buffalo suffered a horrible offseason last year with the loss of Drury and Briere, and next year it could quite possibly be Ryan Miller. They're not going to offload another star in between. The PR here is bad enough as it is with not making the playoffs, forget about giving up yet ANOTHER star player. The HR boat has been rocked quite enough lately.

Old
04-20-2008, 12:28 AM
BattleGuy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeetz View Post
Depends. If Buffalo thought the Oilers stuck them with a really bad contract, and you know how much they hate spending money, then it would be possible. Especially if Buffalo thought they we giving Edmonton 'the bad deal they negotiated in the first place'

The Oilers could in fact afford him now, but we could be in trouble in 2 years when Gagner and Cogs are up and then in 2 more years when Hemmer and Penner are up for new contracts

For me I would like to see:

Sign Ossi Vaananan

Trade Smid + Shremp for Carter (Philly)

Trade Horcoff + Torres + 1 of our better def prospects + Ana 1st for Vanek

Sign Pitkanen

Vanek Gagner Hemsky
Penner Carter Nilsson
Glencross Cogliano Pisani
Moreau Brodziak Stortini
Pouliot Reasoner

Souray Pitkanen
Gilbert Grebeskov
Vaananan/Greene Staios

With our current goalies we would be around that 56 mil mark

Are you on smack. You think Philly is gonna trade Carter for spare parts.

Old
04-20-2008, 11:02 AM
MrOiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by section8 View Post
Are you on smack. You think Philly is gonna trade Carter for spare parts.
I think that Vanek would be great with Hemsky, but it's not going to happen ... unless Edmonton pays through the nose to help Buffalo save some face. In that case, it likely wouldn't make sense to Edmonton.

Old
04-20-2008, 11:04 AM
Cogliano13Gagner89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broilers View Post
I read interesting article. What you guys think.
I will do the deal
Pitkanen+Torres+Anaheims 1st/Schremp for the Vanek

http://communities.canada.com/edmont.../april-18.aspx
Never. 7 mill for Vanek is way way too much.

Old
04-20-2008, 11:18 AM
mic

Buffalo needs defensive depth and could use a 60-point guy like Stoll that performs in the faceoff circle. They could also use picks and good prospects like Schremp or Petry/Chorney/Peckham. The major issue with Buffalo is their pending cap problem when they have to re-sign Connolly, Pominville and Miller to contracts between 5-6 mill each. Spacek, Pratt and Kalinin will also become UFAs soon so there well be a shake-up in Buffalo years after contract mismanagement by Regier, although Roy has a nice looking deal.

Stafford and Gaustad could further force the issue if they have breakout seasons, but if a trade does occur it'd have to be either Cogliano or Nilson and Pitkanen for Vanek+. For now it would be nice to get Vanek for Pitkanen, Stoll, Schremp and picks, but such a deal may not look so good in a few years if Stoll and Pitkanen rebound or Schremp develops into a Nilson-type player.

Old
04-20-2008, 11:20 AM
HOF

People who think there`s no way Buffalo would do a deal with Edmonton should think twice. Trust me, there`s a deal to be made. If it betters Buffalo, they will bite the bullet.

There`s been talks already.

Old
04-20-2008, 11:40 AM
Broilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogliano13gagner89 View Post
Never. 7 mill for Vanek is way way too much.
The cap hit 7+ but the first year was 10 M year so salary is round 6,5-6,6 anymore. I would do the deal. We can compete after that and not just compete we will become SC contender immediatelly.

Old
04-20-2008, 11:58 AM
SilverRazar*

If they count GW shoot-out goals for GA,they should count them for GW too.

Old
04-20-2008, 12:14 PM
Asher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post
Vanek to Edmonton isn't too likely.

- Darcy isn't happy with Lowe. I highly doubt talking about Vanek again is going to bring up any fond memories.
- The offer doesn't help Buffalo at all, it merely deprives us of a legitimate first liner and gives us a bunch of reserve players. We've got plenty of those as is, while lacking true first-line talent.
- Darcy matched the offer sheet. What's that tell you?
- Buffalo suffered a horrible offseason last year with the loss of Drury and Briere, and next year it could quite possibly be Ryan Miller. They're not going to offload another star in between. The PR here is bad enough as it is with not making the playoffs, forget about giving up yet ANOTHER star player. The HR boat has been rocked quite enough lately.
I agree, although I do think the sabres would deal with lowe for someone else (not vanek - I agree that would be very bad PR) if they thought it would help the team. If not then they are letting their egos get in the way of doing the job.

I, too, have heard rumblings about Miller leaving and it really surprises me. There has to be more expendable players than him. I am very big fan of Miller's, to the point where I'd be more intersted in getting him in a trade than I am getting Vanek.

Old
04-20-2008, 12:54 PM
s7ark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post
I agree, although I do think the sabres would deal with lowe for someone else (not vanek - I agree that would be very bad PR) if they thought it would help the team. If not then they are letting their egos get in the way of doing the job.

I, too, have heard rumblings about Miller leaving and it really surprises me. There has to be more expendable players than him. I am very big fan of Miller's, to the point where I'd be more intersted in getting him in a trade than I am getting Vanek.
Those rumours are because Miller is a Detroit local and Wings fan. So the rumour is he is going to wait till UFA and sign with them. I don't think the chances are too likely that Miller end up playing anywhere but Buffalo or Detroit.

And honestly, they don't have anything we need apart from Vanek(or Miller, but see above). The last thing I want to do is add more secondary talent(Kotalik, Kalinin etc.). I want us to add top line/pairing talent or do nothing and build internally.

Old
04-20-2008, 12:58 PM
oilers24

Quote:
People who think there`s no way Buffalo would do a deal with Edmonton should think twice. Trust me, there`s a deal to be made. If it betters Buffalo, they will bite the bullet.

There`s been talks already.

What talks have you heard?

Old
04-20-2008, 01:00 PM
oilers24

Vanek for Pitkanen Shremp Torres and a prospect/pick would definality get a deal done and add more depth to Buffalo's line-up especially with their self imposed budget, they need depth not high end guys. If Vanek were to become an Oiler like mentioned earlier we would instantly become stanley cup contenders, all we would need to add is another decent d man.

Old
04-20-2008, 01:15 PM
Old Navy Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers24 View Post
Vanek for Pitkanen Shremp Torres and a prospect/pick would definality get a deal done and add more depth to Buffalo's line-up especially with their self imposed budget, they need depth not high end guys. If Vanek were to become an Oiler like mentioned earlier we would instantly become stanley cup contenders, all we would need to add is another decent d man.
Why does Buffalo need depth guys? They have a plethora of forwards that can play on the top 3 lines for any team in the league, what they lack are bonafide top line players. Looking at their roster, they have Vanek, Roy and Pominville as their only legit 1st liners. They have Bernier, Afinogenov, Stafford, Hecht, Kotalik, and Paille as 2nd liners with MacArthur showing that potential also. Neither Shremp nor Torres are an upgrade over what they have right now.

Old
04-20-2008, 01:33 PM
s7ark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Navy Goat View Post
Why does Buffalo need depth guys? They have a plethora of forwards that can play on the top 3 lines for any team in the league, what they lack are bonafide top line players. Looking at their roster, they have Vanek, Roy and Pominville as their only legit 1st liners. They have Bernier, Afinogenov, Stafford, Hecht, Kotalik, and Paille as 2nd liners with MacArthur showing that potential also. Neither Shremp nor Torres are an upgrade over what they have right now.
Hmmm you seem to have missed the biggest part of the offer, which was Pitkanen.

Old
04-20-2008, 01:36 PM
Asher

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
I think there would be less costly ways to fill their needs on defense than trading Vanek for Pitkanen.

Old
04-20-2008, 01:37 PM
Soundwave

Vanek was great for them the second half of the season and they already paid the most expensive year on his contract.

I don't think he's going anywhere.

There might have been a chance earlier in the season when he was struggling.

Also even if they would deal with us, doesn't mean they'll accept anything. Chances are if Lowe was to make a deal for anyone on the Buffalo roster we'll be forced into offering a deal that is far better than anyone else offers, otherwise I'm sure Regier would rather deal with any other team. IMO the only way Regier would deal with Lowe is if he wins the deal hands down.

Old
04-20-2008, 01:39 PM
Old Navy Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Actually I didn't, Pitkanen is a decent defenseman but he's in the mold of what Buffalo already has, not what they need. The proverbial rowboats for battleship isn't going to entice them to move Vanek.

Old
04-20-2008, 02:07 PM
oilers24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Navy Goat View Post
Actually I didn't, Pitkanen is a decent defenseman but he's in the mold of what Buffalo already has, not what they need. The proverbial rowboats for battleship isn't going to entice them to move Vanek.

Well they could sure use someone to replace Brian Campbell who developed into an elite player in their system. Pitkanen is very similiar in that regard.

Old
04-20-2008, 02:12 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers24 View Post
Well they could sure use someone to replace Brian Campbell who developed into an elite player in their system. Pitkanen is very similiar in that regard.
Yeah but who replaces Vanek?

Guy was their best player down the stretch and still capped 30 goals despite having a rough start. He had a couple of games with hat tricks too.

The dude can score, and score a lot. Doubtful they would trade him unless they get a legit first line player back.

Old
04-21-2008, 01:45 AM
Spartan117

Penner, at his price, works better for us than Vanek would for what he's making. I don't see Vanek clearing a path with his a$$ like Penner does. Besides, Penner will be a 40 goal scorer soon and KLowe will continue to look like a genius cause of him coming to Edmonton for cheaper than Vanek.

Closed Thread