Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Finland
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Finnish Top Prospects ( In Future)

Closed Thread

Old
04-07-2008, 12:22 PM
animal74

vCash: 500
Samuli Valvisto is not even ranked by Central Scouting!

Old
04-08-2008, 03:15 AM
Korkki

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINNtastic View Post
Might as well put it here... I predict that Sakari Salminen (-88) will score 40 points next season in the SM-liiga. I have strong feeling about that... I just wanted to write that in somewhere so I can say "I told you!" a year from now.
He's my early prediction for next year's "Jori Lehterä-trophy"..the break-out player of the year.
That's possible, but he is in army and the army-season is always very hard... Actually he is going to the Hennala Sport troops and might get more freedom and holidays for his training etc. but that is 200km from Pori so the travelling is a bit problematic (OK, there are two other Ässät players going with him).

Old
04-13-2008, 04:48 AM
-300*C

I dunno if these have been posted before, but there's quite a few videos on Grandlund & co on Youtube.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tun0G...eature=related

Old
04-20-2008, 04:13 PM
hifk88

I decided to predict our roster for the next years U18 WJC which are held in Canada. Good thing to waste my time ecpecially now when we are out of the medal games "again". and i'm also kinda thrilled about our -91 age group.

So here we go.

Forwards
1) Teemu Pulkkinen - Mikael Granlund - Toni Rajala
-Runs the powerplay and makes the important goals. Should be Finland's best and most talented line in years.

2) Erik Haula - Joonas Nättinen - Joni Karjalainen
- Haula & Nättinen worked pretty well together this year and Karjalainen with his scoring abilities should be a good add for the line.

3) Janne Kumpulainen - Joonas Donskoi - Jere Laaksonen
- Hard working players with lot's of grit and skills.

4) Moses Mustonen - Petteri Halinen - Valtteri Virkkunen
- Espoo Blues line. Will play the next season together. This also brings more size to the team. Mustonen (188cm) & Halinen (190cm).

Other possibilties: Eetu Koski, Jesse Mankinen Iiro Pakarinen, Jaakko Turtiainen, Tapio Relander, Karri Koivu, Toni Lepaus, Teemu Huhtala, Tim Basili, Joni Pekkanen, Harri Pälve, Aki Juusela, Roope Elonen & Topi Taavitsainen...

Defensemens
1) Sami Vatanen - Nico Manelius
- Was the best pairing of team Finland this year.

2) Tommi Kivistö - Risto Mattila
- Two good all around defensemans with some offensive skills.

3) Rasmus Rissanen - Ville Hyvärinen
- 2 pretty big KalPa defensemans.

Other possibilities: Santeri Palsola, Sami Suorsa, Jere Pulli, Lauri Kärmeniemi, Tony Rae & Riku Väkiparta...

Goalies

Joni Ortio
- Will play with the TuTo's A-juniors next season. Probably our starting goalie. Who knows?
Frans Tuohimaa
- Already was sitting in the IFK mens bench due the IFK goalie situation at the busy time this year. Had very good season in the junior B. Should get games with the A-juniors next season.

Other possibilities: Matti Hakonen, Veli-Heikki Mäenalanen, Erno Suomalainen & Riku Härmä...

There are about 6-7 potential first/second rounders for the 09-10 drafts and i'm only talking about forwards. So offensive game should be a our most dangerous weapon. The defense and goalies doesn't look that bad eather. Only concern is the team overall height/weight and physical play. Lot's of smallish forwards so let's hope they grow a bit and gets more muscle over the summer and next season. Especially now when the games are in Canada and in a smaller rink. The good thing is that there are 7 players that have already experienced this tournament. Never seen that happen in this level in Finland.

I think Finland has the second best team in Europe in this age group after Sweden (which is their best age group since Forsberg and fellows). So right now it looks pretty good for us. Hope they will bring us medal this time. Peace.

Old
04-21-2008, 12:54 AM
Panopticon

Definitely looks good right now. A year can change a lot, though. If Rajala gets time in the SM-liiga, he could be really deadly next year. And hope a lot of the other guys spend most of the season in Junior A as well. If they keep playing B, the competition in this tournament will be too tough for them.

Old
04-21-2008, 07:45 AM
Korkki

The biggest problem with Rajala is his team. The Abe Simpson Pietilä is not known as "youngster developer". Could it be best for him to go to the North American youth series?

Old
04-21-2008, 10:36 AM
Phenomenon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korkki View Post
The biggest problem with Rajala is his team. The Abe Simpson Pietilä is not known as "youngster developer". Could it be best for him to go to the North American youth series?
I don´t see that a big problem for Rajala. It is still too early for Rajala to play big minutes in the SM league level, so he will spend most of the season in a big role in juniors.

Pietilä´s contract will end 2009 when Rajala is supposed to get regular spot in the league team. Ilves has Juujärvi and Pajuoja as assistant coaches and both have a good reputation in developing youngsters. Everything looks like they have planned to make Juujärvi the future head coach, so this season he has time to get to know the strengths and weaknesses of Ilves´s prospects (Rajala, Rask, Roppo, Sointu, Pellinen, Snellman, Laine etc.) in order to train them ready to step into the limelight a year or two later.

Old
04-21-2008, 04:04 PM
Joretus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phenomenon View Post
I don´t see that a big problem for Rajala. It is still too early for Rajala to play big minutes in the SM league level, so he will spend most of the season in a big role in juniors.
Well playing ~15mins or so wouldn't be too big for Rajala if he would just get some muscle. He needs better competition than A-juniors if he will just get his physics in right condition. Mestis could help him as well. At least part time mestis games with LeKi or so. Same draft class players Magnus SP and co. already did play this season in Elitserien and they will be playing next season even more.

Rajala should get much more ice time at least in A-juniors next season. This season while being one of the best forwards he still did get just couple of PP-shifts per game and not too much other ice time as well.

Old
06-14-2008, 04:21 PM
Tormentor

According to a poster from another forum Jesper Kokkonen is moving to Finland and will play for Ilves next season.

Old
06-19-2008, 03:42 PM
Tormentor

Transfers of youth national team players, some of these aren't 100% sure yet:
D Tony Vidgren -90 TPS -> Lukko
D Jesse Turkulainen -90 Södertälje -> Tappara
F Martin Tuominen -90 TPS -> Tappara
GK Joni Ortio -91 TuTo -> TPS
D Sami Suorsa -91 Kärpät -> HIFK
F Joonas Nättinen -91 JYP -> Blues
F Erik Haula -91 Ässät -> Shattuck St Mary's
GK Roy Bertula -92 Jokerit -> HIFK
GK Jonathan Iilahti -92 Sport -> Blues
GK Ville Kolppanen -92 Tappara -> Ilves
F Niklas Haikarainen -92 Jokerit -> Blues
F Janne Kivilahti -92 Jokerit -> Blues
F Lauri Malm -92 Kiekko-Vantaa -> Jokerit
GK Ville Runola -93 EVU -> Blues
F Jesper Kokkonen -93 Djurgårdens IF -> Ilves
F Markus Granlund -93 Laser HT -> Kärpät
F Toni Kallela -93 Laser HT -> Kärpät
F Arttu Heikkinen -93 KuKi/SoKi -> Kärpät

If you know some other transfers or if the above list has flaws, post a reply.

Last season's Pohjola camp All-Star forward Miikka Salomäki didn't move to Kärpät albeit attending their camp. Does anyone know where he decided to move or will he stay in Raahe? Interesting player, because his skill level is pretty high, he's able to give accurate passes, he excels in one-on-one situations against defenders and has a good scoring touch. On the other hand his skating seems a bit sticky(I didn't come up with any better word to describe it), his game without the puck is often extremely passive and in the defensive zone it's altogether horrendous, and he's one of the most offensively minded players that I have ever seen. His future coach will surely have his hands full of talent, but it might be very difficult to polish this raw diamond to something substantial.

Old
06-26-2008, 10:13 AM
Tormentor

2008 CHL Import Draft

Link: (http://chl.ca/importDraft_en.php)

Tommi Kivistö, Jokerit picked 6th overall by Red Deer Rebels WHL

Old
06-26-2008, 10:25 AM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

So the Granlunds will be together on Karpat?

I'm so excited to see Jesper Kokkonen (he's my dad's cousin's son)

Old
06-26-2008, 02:38 PM
Phenomenon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnerican View Post
I'm so excited to see Jesper Kokkonen (he's my dad's cousin's son)
+1

His coming to Ilves was a surprise for me and all the reports are saying great things about him (i.e. "next Mats Sundin").

Old
06-26-2008, 04:43 PM
Tormentor

Quote:
So the Granlunds will be together on Karpat?
Together in the same organization yes, but they probably won't play together that much, because Mikael is with the juniorA and Markus will most likely start the season in juniorC. Plus I'm not sure if Tappara is totally out of the picture yet in Markus's case or if it ever was a serious option. In general moving from Laser ht to Kärpät is common, because the teams are located next to each other and the distance is only something like 10 miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phenomenon View Post
all the reports are saying great things about him (i.e. "next Mats Sundin").
Are there any other reports or stories than this in Swedish that was linked by hifk88 in another thread?
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifk88 View Post
"Flemingsbergskillen Jesper Kokkonen vann sitt första slutspel i Stockholms-
hockeyn tillsammans med Hammarby. Nu tog han sin andra titel och jämförelsen med ex-djurgårdaren Mats Sundin har han hört förr.
– Min tränare brukar säga att vi är lika. Jo, jag har tittat lite extra på honom.
Stora kraftiga skär, stora aviga dragningar och en storlek större än övriga kännetecknar Sundin och Kokkonen."
"My coach often says that we are similar. Yeah, I have watched him(Sundin) some extra."

I saw Kokkonen in his debut in Lions jersey in Tornio. Tall guy with some skill, but struggled with the high tempo which of course was expected as he was playing with older boys, so I didn't get a comprehensive overview of his game. Playing as a wing might have had effected his game as well, because he usually plays center? Sundin and Jesper have some similarities, but based on that brief sighting I had, it might be rather optimistic to call him "next Sundin".

Last edited by Tormentor: 06-26-2008 at 04:51 PM.
Old
06-27-2008, 12:56 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

He's 1993 I think... Right?

Old
06-29-2008, 04:39 AM
Tormentor

Kivistö and Red Deer Rebels

(http://www.albertalocalnews.com/redd...ort_draft.html)

I copied the part about Kivistö as a whole, because I have a feeling that the link above might not link to this year's draft once the next import draft comes along.

--------------------------------------------------

When it comes to drafting, there are a couple of strategies: draft for need or take the best player available.

The Red Deer Rebels went into the Canadian Hockey League’s import draft on Thursday wanting to shore up their offence, but by the time they picked sixth overall it became a no-brainer to take the best player available — defenceman Tommi Kivisto out of Vantaa, Finland.

“We were looking at possibly taking a player in the forward position, but the players I had in mind were players that . . . made the decision at the last second not to come, and (Kivisto) was too good a player to pass up on,” said Sutter.

“We didn’t feel it was right to give up on an A-plus player and go down and select a B-plus player just because it’s not a position we wanted to take.”

Sutter is not looking at Kivisto as a consolation prize at all. In reality, he could become the cornerstone of their defensive core — joining Alex Petrovic and Justin Weller — which is by far the strength of the team. This strength should spread into all areas of their game.

“He’s an elite level defenceman — from the sources I talked to at the NHL level, they think he’s up there as a world-class player,” said Sutter. “Our defence is going to be very good for years to come. We’re excited about that.

“We want to create more offence, but at the same time you have to be good in your own zone. To have defencemen that can skate, that can move the puck and jump up in the play, in a lot of ways is more effective than having forwards that are offensive minded because those players are good in their own zone too.”

Sutter envisions Kivisto as a power-play quarterback, sliding into the slot vacated by hulking Czech defenceman Juraj Valech. But Kivisto should provide a better all-round game than the departed Valech.

“He’s a kid that really likes to create offence. He’s got a great shot but he’s also very dependable defensively to. He reads situations well and jumps up into the play,” said Sutter, adding Kivisto was close to a point per game player with Jokerit’s junior team.

Kivisto is not NHL draft eligible until 2009, so depending on how well he makes the jump to the North American game, he could be in Red Deer for more than one season.

“You never know with the NHL, it depends on how he does next year,” said Sutter. “The NHL is taking younger kids all the time, but we’d like to think we have him for two years, maybe three.”

--------------------------------------------------

Some random thoughts:
- Brian Sutter has high expectations of Kivistö.
- Seems that they expect Kivistö to stay in NA and most likely in WHL for more than one year, if he adapts. I wonder what are Kivistö's plans?
- Kivistö wasn't their primary target, so I wonder where Kivistö would have ended up if the Rebels would have gotten the player that they really wanted and with how many different teams had Kivistö made plans/arrangements with?

Last edited by Tormentor: 06-29-2008 at 04:51 AM.
Old
07-04-2008, 08:17 AM
edd1e

Tomi Sallinen (Espoon Blues) wasnt drafted this year to NHL, does anyone have a good reason why?

Old
07-04-2008, 09:47 AM
HalfOfFame*

Quote:
Originally Posted by edd1e View Post
Tomi Sallinen (Espoon Blues) wasnt drafted this year to NHL, does anyone have a good reason why?
u mean 89 or 90 born Sallinen? anyways the 90-born was born in the end of year so he can be drafted next year. he was not old enough to be drafted this year's draft

Old
07-04-2008, 11:17 AM
edd1e

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfOfFame View Post
u mean 89 or 90 born Sallinen? anyways the 90-born was born in the end of year so he can be drafted next year. he was not old enough to be drafted this year's draft
No, i ment the one who's born in -89. He was really important part of team Blues in playoffs. That made me wonder why wasnt he drafted.

Old
07-06-2008, 11:42 AM
JFA87-66-99

Anyone have more info on Ville Kolppanen?

Old
07-07-2008, 11:52 AM
Tony Piscotta
Hockey's Future Staff

Jyväskylä prospects

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padawan View Post
... There aren't many great prospects coming from Jyväskylä but I think Kaarlo Jormakka might have potential to be a good prospect in the future. His lack of size could hold him back but he can still grow. Is far from a sure thing but with a little bit of luck and hard work he could be a dark horse in the future.
I find this comment puzzling since when I was coaching in Finland I was very impressed with several players from JyP - as well as a couple of the defenders from the second B Junior team Diskos.

Why do you think there are no longer prospects in this program?

Old
07-09-2008, 11:49 AM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

Isn't Joonas Nattinen a product of JyP?

I remember being afraid of that team for some reason... them and the Pelicans... They never really made me feel good as a kid.

I loved my Ilves and HIFK... Hated Jokerit.

Old
07-09-2008, 08:51 PM
Jussi
No strings on me

Quote:
I loved my Ilves and HIFK... Hated Jokerit.
You're dead to me.

Old
07-10-2008, 03:47 AM
Korkki

Quote:
Originally Posted by edd1e View Post
No, i ment the one who's born in -89. He was really important part of team Blues in playoffs. That made me wonder why wasnt he drafted.
Don't know why but it seems like defensively minded players won't get the attention they deserve. OK, points are seen from the stats but good defensive play is not always...

Finn: Joonas Nättinen will play for Blues next season (I saw you listed him for JYP in you rankings).

Old
07-10-2008, 06:24 AM
Kannu

Has anyone seen Leinonen or Seppanen play with their big clubs? I wonder how they have progressed. Pittsburgh drafted both but may no longer retain their NHL rights. Not sure. Do they have an NHL future. Thanks for any replies.

Closed Thread