HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

07-08 Post-Season Thread

Old
04-20-2008, 09:57 PM
DManPreds11

vCash: 500
07-08 Post-Season Thread

Well I have to admit last May I never thought that this season would've concluded with the Wings beating us in 6. Great season for the Preds, this has been one hell of a rollercoaster ride that ended with us getting off safely, a type of ride not really wanting ever to get back on. I'd say going into next season we have a lot to be optimistic about. First the draft with basically 3 first round picks, the new owners will probably look to add some players on July 1, and the return of Sully(hopefully). I would say that the only negative possibly going into next season would be our coaching staff. Every year we exit the playoffs by IMO being out coached, I think Crispy for the latter part of the season turned from "color commentator" to "coaching commentator". I think Poile because he is loyal will give Trotz and his coaching staff a new deal(). Not going to vent on that situation, like I said earlier we have a lot to look forward to next season. Another question going into next season that will be intresting, will be what Poile does with Ellis and Mason. I think Ellis will elect to test the FA waters considering how well he did for us this post season. I would like to see us resign him(Ellis) and package Mason and one of our D-men. Unless Baptist Sports Medicine can threat Mas and cure his 5 hole. Well last I have to give mad props to the fans of Nashville for showing that we are "one of the loudest crowds in the NHL". Hopefully, the fanbase will continue to grow. You guys have a good off season we'll see ya around.

DManPreds11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2008, 10:00 PM
predfan24

Quote:
Originally Posted by DManPreds11 View Post
Well I have to admit last May I never thought that this season would've concluded with the Wings beating us in 6. Great season for the Preds, this has been one hell of a rollercoaster ride that ended with us getting off safely, a type of ride not really wanting ever to get back on. I'd say going into next season we have a lot to be optimistic about. First the draft with basically 3 first round picks, the new owners will probably look to add some players on July 1, and the return of Sully(hopefully). I would say that the only negative possibly going into next season would be our coaching staff. Every year we exit the playoffs by IMO being out coached, I think Crispy for the latter part of the season turned from "color commentator" to "coaching commentator". I think Poile because he is loyal will give Trotz and his coaching staff a new deal(). Not going to vent on that situation, like I said earlier he have a lot to look forward to next season. Another question going into next season that will be intresting, will be what Poile does with Ellis and Mason. I think Ellis will elect to test the FA waters considering how well he did for us this post season. I would like to see us resign him(Ellis) and package Mason and one of our D-men. Unless Baptist Sports Medicine can threat Mas and cure his 5 hole. Well last I have to give mad props to the fans of Nashville for showing that we are "one of the loudest crowds in the NHL". Hopefully, the fanbase will continue to grow. You guys have a good off season we'll see ya around.
I would love to package Mason and Zids and I wouldnt really care what we got back as long as we got rid of their salaries. That would open up a world of possibilites. Unfortuntely I doubt any GM is stupid enough to do that

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2008, 12:09 AM
Basher
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to Basher Send a message via MSN to Basher Send a message via Skype™ to Basher
I wouldn't mind losing Zidlicky at all, if we can get something solid in return. Koistenen/Klein can replace him, and we'd free up a little more money for the return player(s) and/or a FA.

I still don't like our goaltending situation, with neither of them having a full season as a dedicated #1. We thought Mason would be that guy, but obviously it didn't work out - same thing could happen with Ellis.

Basher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2008, 09:12 AM
quartermaster29

Send a message via Yahoo to quartermaster29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basher View Post
I wouldn't mind losing Zidlicky at all, if we can get something solid in return. Koistenen/Klein can replace him, and we'd free up a little more money for the return player(s) and/or a FA.

I still don't like our goaltending situation, with neither of them having a full season as a dedicated #1. We thought Mason would be that guy, but obviously it didn't work out - same thing could happen with Ellis.
I say we trade away Mason and use Rinne and Ellis as our combo, personally. If Ellis flounders as a starter, you have Rinne to cover for him and you open up the salary from Mason for ???.

I think a lot of fans who wear the mustard devalue Zidlicky. He could get us a great return from a market in need of his skill set. I am not a Z fan by any means, I want him gone, personally. And I also think he could benefit from a change of scenario. I say good luck to him elsewhere and get a forward who can put the puck in the net.

quartermaster29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2008, 10:51 AM
Jarnberg

Well, from what we have signed for next year:

Roster:
(Cap numbers)

Sullivan ($3.2 million) - Arnott ($4.5 million) - Dumont ($4 million)
x - Legwand ($4.5 million) - Radulov ($918,587)
x - Bonk ($1.475 million) - Tootoo ($975,000)
x - Fiddler ($850,000) - Ortmeyer ($750,000)
x - Nichol ($750,000) - x
x - Smithson ($500,000) - x

Zidlicky ($3.350 million) - de Vries ($2.5 million)
Hamhuis ($2 million) - Zanon ($725,000)
x - x

Mason ($3 million)
Rinne ($547,500)

"Farm Roster"
(Cap numbers if on Predators roster) (not actual lines)

Pihlstrom ($567,500) - O'Reilly ($533,333) - Hornqvist ($713,333)
Thuresson ($561,667) - Mike Santorelli ($591,667) - Maki ($487,500)
Wilson ($478,333) - x - Santorelli ($x)

Blum ($1 million) - Laakso ($800,000)
Franson ($693,867) - Sulzer ($691,250)
Dietrich ($550,000) - x

Smith ($875,000)

Restricted Free Agents:
(last year's cap)

Erat - LW ($1,675,000)
Setzinger - C ($950,000)
Suter - D ($785,333)
Niskala - D ($700,000)
Bochenski - RW($600,00)
Weber - D ($610,333)
Ellison - RW ($550,000)
Grumet-Morris - G ($535,000)
Klein - D ($500,000)
Koistinen - D ($475,000)
Peverley - C ($470,000)
Vigilante - LW ($463,333)

Unrestricted Free Agents:
(last year's cap)

Gelinas - LW ($2,850,000)
Hlavac - LW ($700,000)
Hordichuk - LW ($517,000)
Ellis - G ($500,000)
Langfeld - RW ($500,000)
Henry - D ($475,000)
Willis - RW ($475,000)
Yonkman - D ($475,000)

Source: http://www.nhlscap.com/capnumbers/nashville.htm

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2008, 10:57 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

I've maintained for awhile now that Zidlicky is a luxury we cannot afford. He is a 5/6 PP guy, but our PP schemes are awful. The 3.75 million we spend on him would be much better spent elsewhere.

Mason will not be back. How can he? After the way he was benched down the stretch, one has to assume that he is all but gone.....if anyone shows any interest.....he will likely be dealt.

I still can't believe we gave a 2.9 million incentive based contract to Gelinas to reach the cap floor......a lack of 1 more forward killed us.

Stranger - I believe that DeVries cap hit is 2.25 million (although he will be making 2.5 million this next season).

04-21-2008, 11:01 AM
Jarnberg

As you can see, we don't have alot of room in signing Suter, Weber, and Erat, our big RFA. We'll maybe land 2 of the 3. My guess is 1 of the 3, with Erat and Suter possibly going elsewhere unless they sign some very nice deals for us.

My guesses:

Erat - Probably gone.
Setzinger - Gone.
Suter - Probably gone.
Niskala - Re-signed
Bochenski - Gone
Weber - Signed on a short term deal
Ellison - Re-signed for depth
Grumet-Morris - Re-signed for depth
Klein - Either traded on draft day or signed to replace either Suter or
Koistinen - Probably back to Europe - Not enough playing time here
Peverley - Re-signed - Depth
Vigilante - Gone

Gelinas - Probably gone - Will probably retire
Hlavac - Probably gone - Might look at bringing him back if cheap
Hordichuk - Probably gone - waste of space on the ice
Ellis - Probably gone. Someone might take a chance based on the playoff performance and we have Mason (untradeable) and Rinne on one way deals
Langfeld - Probably gone
Henry - Re-signed - depth
Willis - Gone
Yonkman - Re-signed - depth

Probable roster (imo) (before FA, draft):

Radulov - Arnott - Dumont
Fiddler - Legwand - Hornqvist
Pihlstrom - Bonk - Tootoo
Smithson - Nichol - Ortmeyer

Weber - Zanon
Hamhuis - de Vries
Zidlicky - Klein

Mason
Rinne

Last edited by Jarnberg: 04-21-2008 at 11:09 AM.
Old
04-21-2008, 11:05 AM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
Stranger - I believe that DeVries cap hit is 2.25 million (although he will be making 2.5 million this next season).
de Vries is making $2,750,000 next year, an increase from his $2,250,000 from this past year, according to nhlscap.

Old
04-21-2008, 11:54 AM
PredsMan

It think, in retrospect, the worst decision Poile ever made was resigning Mason to a 3 mil contract before the season started.

At the time, it seemed like an okay thing to do, but hindsight is 20/20.

I don't think we'll see him throw a contract at Ellis for just that reason.

I also don't see much interest in Mason from other teams, due to his contract/performance. Unless you make a deal for another team's problem, like Emery from Ottawa.

The other option...buy him out at 2/3 value.

what do you do?

PredsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2008, 12:04 PM
braindead

I think you try to trade him for someone else's equivalent problem-- an overpriced bust 3rd liner. Then both teams hope for the best.

As to the RFA's, I disagree w/ Stranger. I think the Preds for sure find a way to keep Suter and Weber, and likely Erat as well. If anything, Suter stepped up in the playoffs and is looking like the D man we can't afford to lose (along with Weber). He played bigger and nastier as the series went on-- we need that mean streak to come out in a Preds uniform

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2008, 12:18 PM
predfan24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
As you can see, we don't have alot of room in signing Suter, Weber, and Erat, our big RFA. We'll maybe land 2 of the 3. My guess is 1 of the 3, with Erat and Suter possibly going elsewhere unless they sign some very nice deals for us.

My guesses:

Erat - Probably gone.
Setzinger - Gone.
Suter - Probably gone.
Niskala - Re-signed
Bochenski - Gone
Vigilante - Gone

Ellis - Probably gone. Someone might take a chance based on the playoff performance and we have Mason (untradeable) and Rinne on one way deals
Langfeld - Probably gone
Willis - Gone

Weber - Zanon
Hamhuis - de Vries
Zidlicky - Klein

Mason
Rinne
I think you should change your name to " Stranger- The pessimistic thread killer" lol No really We are not gonna let Erat, Suter and Ellis walk. New ownership isnt that stupid.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2008, 12:24 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:

My guesses:

Erat - Probably gone.
Setzinger - Gone.
Suter - Probably gone.
Niskala - Re-signed
Bochenski - Gone
Vigilante - Gone

Langfeld - Probably gone
Willis - Gone

Weber - Zanon
Hamhuis - de Vries
Zidlicky - Klein

Mason
Rinne
I hope you're right ... and Poile is able to bring over that big body in Linus Videll to play along side Hornqvist & Legwand

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2008, 12:29 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

I would probably look at what Erat would garner in a trade (if negotiations seemed unfavorable), and I would definitely deal one of Klein, Koistenen, Zanon, or Zidlicky.

Erat doesn't play well with anyone outside of Legwand centered line. If we can sign him below 4 million, say around 3.3-3.5.......then sign him. Otherwise, I'm nor sure he is worth the 4-4.5 million he could command....It will definitely be interesting to see how Poile handles the Erat situation.

I think Suter matured a TON down the stretch this year. His all around game is better than any defenseman on this team, and he carries the puck better than anyone not named David Legwand. It will be intriguing to see if Weber or Suter get offer sheets.

A 1 for 1 defenseman for forward deal should have been made 2 years ago....maybe it finally does happen this year.

Last edited by Enoch: 04-21-2008 at 12:43 PM.
Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2008, 12:43 PM
NashisCash

What you really need is someone to coach your powerplay. That thing is downright pathetic.

NashisCash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2008, 12:44 PM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
I think you should change your name to " Stranger- The pessimistic thread killer" lol No really We are not gonna let Erat, Suter and Ellis walk. New ownership isnt that stupid.
If we had owners who were willing to spend that much, sure. But we're have a huge salary before even signing Erat, Suter, and Weber and company.

Not unless Poile makes alot of trades.

Old
04-21-2008, 12:47 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashisCash View Post
What you really need is someone to coach your powerplay. That thing is downright pathetic.
you god damm right it is ... I mean with all the tools we have (Arnott/Weber = Point Shot, Legwand = Half Boards, Hamhuis/Suter = Puck Moving Dman, Dumont/Radulov = weak side presence) ... we have the tools, need the coaches ... hence my handle will remain until changes are made ... we need to clone Holmstrom

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2008, 02:06 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
If we had owners who were willing to spend that much, sure. But we're have a huge salary before even signing Erat, Suter, and Weber and company.

Not unless Poile makes alot of trades.
I think you must have been one of the callers on the morning show for 104.5 this morning. They were overly negative and taking shots at the new owners and here you are doing the same thing. Back off...the team has one of the best GM's in the business at the helm making decisions, an ownership group that has said repeatedly that we will not let our "core" players (our RFA's) walk, and plenty of flexiblity with our roster using a little creativity.

BTW, those numbers you posted are the cap numbers, but they were only valid for any of the players in the NHL for the full season. They really don't apply for any of our prospects/depth players outside of Nashville as those players all have two-way contracts that have a different salary when they are playing outside of Nashville.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2008, 02:29 PM
quartermaster29

Send a message via Yahoo to quartermaster29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Trotz View Post
you god damm right it is ... I mean with all the tools we have (Arnott/Weber = Point Shot, Legwand = Half Boards, Hamhuis/Suter = Puck Moving Dman, Dumont/Radulov = weak side presence) ... we have the tools, need the coaches ... hence my handle will remain until changes are made ... we need to clone Holmstrom
We could probably find some DNA on Ellis' equipment with how much he was draped over him whenever they got set up in our zone.

quartermaster29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2008, 02:32 PM
dulzhok

Looks like more of the same to me. A team that MAY be able to sneak into the playoffs, but has little chance of going deep.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2008, 02:44 PM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
I think you must have been one of the callers on the morning show for 104.5 this morning. They were overly negative and taking shots at the new owners and here you are doing the same thing. Back off...the team has one of the best GM's in the business at the helm making decisions, an ownership group that has said repeatedly that we will not let our "core" players (our RFA's) walk, and plenty of flexiblity with our roster using a little creativity.

BTW, those numbers you posted are the cap numbers, but they were only valid for any of the players in the NHL for the full season. They really don't apply for any of our prospects/depth players outside of Nashville as those players all have two-way contracts that have a different salary when they are playing outside of Nashville.
Believe me, I didn't call or listen to the radio this morning.

I'm not taking shots at the owners, I'm just stating my opinion. I'd love to keep our RFAs, but I don't think it's realistic given our ownership situation. We already have a high salary before signing our big RFAs. Lets not forget that the owners have also stated that they are willing to spend based on how we perform attendancewise. We didn't do so hot last year.

Also, I was just posting our roster and who we have signed. I wasn't claiming that the prospects listed were counted towards our salary cap. I was mainly showing our depth and who we have officially signed. I think you're looking into it too much, but I apologize for any confusion.

Old
04-21-2008, 03:17 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:

I'm not taking shots at the owners, I'm just stating my opinion. I'd love to keep our RFAs, but I don't think it's realistic given our ownership situation. We already have a high salary before signing our big RFAs. Lets not forget that the owners have also stated that they are willing to spend based on how we perform attendancewise. We didn't do so hot last year.

Also, I was just posting our roster and who we have signed. I wasn't claiming that the prospects listed were counted towards our salary cap. I was mainly showing our depth and who we have officially signed. I think you're looking into it too much, but I apologize for any confusion.
Problem with your arguement is that for the team to make the salary floor they must sign their RFA's. The preds are currently about 10 million under the new salary floor and that equals Weber, Erat, and Suter. If the Sullivan situation is resoved then the team will either have Sullivan or 3 million to play with for an another wing. Also, there is one too many defensemen with an NHL contract. One of them will be traded, (I hope) to make room which will be more money. The goalie situation is a cluster. I think Poile is going to have to do a world class juggling act with one. Rinne is coming up, (HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE guy, you don't screen him, he screens you!), Ellis' weight problems make him unreliable, Mason's head makes him unreliable. In the end, it might be a better idea to lose both Ellis and Mason and go with someone new, if the money is there for it.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2008, 03:27 PM
vipera1960

Quote:

I think it really depends on several things:
1. Is Dan Ellis committed to testing free agency/are his contract demands too high? I don't think any team will give him big money, and I find it unlikely that on any team other than the Preds he could have a chance to go into training camp as the number one goaltender.

1a. If the Preds can reach a reasonable agreement with Ellis (something similar to Mason's contract from a couple of years ago - 1.25/year for 2 years, so probably $2 million/year for 2 years, though I hope less), will any team be willing to trade for Chris Mason? With Rinne on a one-way contract next year, he is pretty much a lock for one of the two goalie spots. Much as the Preds would like to keep Dan Ellis, I don't see them keeping him and paying Mason $3 million to play in the AHL, at the cost of other positions. I would look for the team to try and unload Mason to a team that thinks he might be able to regain his form.

2. What are the contract demands of our RFA defensemen, and how do those demands relate to their relative trade values? I don't think Poile will move any of the experienced defense corps (sorry Zidlicky haters). Therefore, he is bargaining from a position of strength in this regard. If Weber and Suter can be locked up relatively cheaply, Poile will jump at the opportunity to do so. If not, he knows he has Klein and Koistinen available. I think he will sign Weber (probably to a short term deal) at any cost and keep Suter if the cost is appropriate ($2.5-3.5 million - trade otherwise, there are plenty of potential suitors). Klein and Koistinen will make for an interesting decision though. If Suter goes, I think Koistinen makes the roster, and Klein is the 7th. If Suter stays, I think Koistinen gets traded and Klein is the 7th. However, Poile may also decide to move one or both of Klein and Koistinen (depending on whether or not Suter resigns) and sign a veteran UFA defenseman to be the 7th. Given the risk that Koistinen bolts back to Europe if he continues to sit, I don't see the Preds keeping him as the 7th.

3. What will the Preds do with Erat? Given the team's complete lack of top six forwards and top six forward prospects, I think the Preds will look to keep Erat unless his demands are very high. Anything under $4 million, and he stays. Over that, I think Poile starts looking for a trading partner to get a slightly underpaid soon to be UFA.

4. What happens with Sullivan? Much as he thinks/hopes he will be ready for training camp next fall, I just don't see it. However, if he does get healthy, the Preds instantly gain a top six winger with an excellent price tag. If he is unable to return and retires, the team gains $3.2 million in available payroll. I think the biggest concern should be if he gets all the way to training camp assuring Poile that he is good to go, and then, once camp starts, realizes that he just can't do it. This has the potential to be devastating, as by that point the number of forwards on the market (especially those capable of top six play for an entire year) will have decreased drastically. Don't be surprised if Poile places him on waivers, packages him with a draft pick (e.g. NJ with Malakhov last year, though it probably wouldn't cost that much as the Preds aren't right up against the cap and Sullivan, at least theoretically, can still play), or buys out his contract ($1.07 million each of the next two years).

Last edited by vipera1960: 04-21-2008 at 03:36 PM. Reason: Forgot about Sully
vipera1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2008, 03:33 PM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Problem with your arguement is that for the team to make the salary floor they must sign their RFA's. The preds are currently about 10 million under the new salary floor and that equals Weber, Erat, and Suter. If the Sullivan situation is resoved then the team will either have Sullivan or 3 million to play with for an another wing. Also, there is one too many defensemen with an NHL contract. One of them will be traded, (I hope) to make room which will be more money. The goalie situation is a cluster. I think Poile is going to have to do a world class juggling act with one. Rinne is coming up, (HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE guy, you don't screen him, he screens you!), Ellis' weight problems make him unreliable, Mason's head makes him unreliable. In the end, it might be a better idea to lose both Ellis and Mason and go with someone new, if the money is there for it.
No cap numbers have been finalized, but the rumor is a $40 million floor. So lets us $40 million for our example.

We're at roughly 34,000,000 for next year

We only need to spend $6 million more. That is without any of our prospects being up on the big roster for next year. Can we sign Erat, Suter, and Weber for less than $6 million?

Also in your example, you assume that someone will be willing to take Sullivan off of our hands, a guy who just missed a full season due to two back surgeries and who has spent his season working on his broadcasting career, and Mason, who failed to produce after being given the #1 role here. I'd love it if that happened, but that seems a bit unlikely to me.

Old
04-21-2008, 03:46 PM
vipera1960

Quote:
No cap numbers have been finalized, but the rumor is a $40 million floor. So lets us $40 million for our example.

We're at roughly 34,000,000 for next year

We only need to spend $6 million more. That is without any of our prospects being up on the big roster for next year. Can we sign Erat, Suter, and Weber for less than $6 million?

Also in your example, you assume that someone will be willing to take Sullivan off of our hands, a guy who just missed a full season due to two back surgeries and who has spent his season working on his broadcasting career, and Mason, who failed to produce after being given the #1 role here. I'd love it if that happened, but that seems a bit unlikely to me.
Probably not. But you are also making the assumption that, rather than making an attempt to trade older guys, Poile will trade the young players he described as the "core."

vipera1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2008, 04:01 PM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Back off...the team has one of the best GM's in the business at the helm making decisions
Wrong He's mediocore at best. He continually drafts defensmen and undersized forwards and ignoring team needs in the draft. WE NEED FORWARDS WITH SIZE. Yet we keep drafting small forwards and defensmen

Last edited by Gnashville: 04-21-2008 at 05:55 PM.
Gnashville is online now   Reply With Quote