HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ron Wilson and Stats

Closed Thread

Old
05-14-2004, 09:07 PM
Matts

vCash: 500
Ron Wilson and Stats

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...NStory/Sports/

Thought I'd post this because we've talked about this in the past and just who's using them and what their value could be.

Seems to me that a "poor" team like the Oilers could use every advantage possible

Old
05-15-2004, 12:05 PM
oilswell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matts
Thought I'd post this because we've talked about this in the past and just who's using them and what their value could be.
Thanks for the great link. Its a pretty thin article in terms of details, but it contains, in just a few short paragraphs, an explanation of how to handle statistics:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe and Mail article
The Sharks don't make personnel decisions based on the coaches' data, so it's not quite the Moneyball approach of the Oakland Athletics' Billy Beane and his disciples, who have reshaped baseball scouting with their numbers-based theories.

Wilson prefers not to use his numbers against his players — instead counting on the data to reinforce his gut instincts from a lifetime of hockey.

His players soon discover the numbers don't lie.

Back in Anaheim, journeyman Todd Krygier insisted he was just as effective on the penalty-kill as Paul Kariya, until Wilson showed him statistics that decisively proved otherwise.

"Todd got me really focused on finding some real numbers to back up what I was doing on feel," ..."We've got numbers in hockey, too. It's just that nobody is using them."

(emphasis added)
This is the 21st century. Numbers, video, and the like can be used to extend anyone's ability to understand a complex world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matts
Seems to me that a "poor" team like the Oilers could use every advantage possible
They should be on the horn with guys like igor and mudcrutch

Old
05-15-2004, 05:29 PM
Matts

They could also

hired based on things other than "do you like Alberta", or "are you from Alberta" or "didn't you win a cup playing in alberta."

Old
05-15-2004, 05:45 PM
mudcrutch79

Hell, I've lived in Alberta, like Alberta, am planning to vote Consevative, and have bad hands to boot...how is it that I'm not working for them now?

Old
05-15-2004, 06:00 PM
Lowetide

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudcrutch79
Hell, I've lived in Alberta, like Alberta, am planning to vote Consevative, and have bad hands to boot...how is it that I'm not working for them now?
Well, the rumor is you scored on the powerplay in peewee. No OIL for YOU!

Old
05-15-2004, 06:12 PM
Mizral

Daryll Sutter is, as I understand it, a big believer in stats like these as well.

Old
05-15-2004, 07:22 PM
mudcrutch79

Interesting Mizral, where did you hear/read that? I'd be interested to hear more about that. This is a guy who is pretty unbelievable as a coach, with his teams getting better almost every year, so it'd be neat to know a bit more about his strategies/tactics.

On the praise Sutter topic, it was said of the Wild last year that they weren't a hockey team they were a cult. The Flames look like the Jehovah's Witness to Wild's Catholic Church with the way that they've bought into everything that Sutter wants them to do. Absolutely fantastic coaching job.

Old
05-15-2004, 09:50 PM
Mizral

It was in a column, read it on Calgarypuck.com about a month ago or so.

Essentially, it talked about how Sutter would look at obscure stats like goals scored per every PP shift, or things like that, and apperantly part of the reason he picked up Robert Nilsson of the Panthers was because of stats like that.

Strange, isn't it? I don't mind stats, but I don't know if I believe in them QUITE that much.

Old
05-15-2004, 11:48 PM
Whitenoise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
Strange, isn't it? I don't mind stats, but I don't know if I believe in them QUITE that much.
I agree Miz. Stats are all well and good but they're only so useful in hockey because there are so many outside variables that can affect a single player's stats. Who are his linemates? What kind of icetime does he get? How good is his goalie? In baseball, players can be isolated and aren't affected much by other players so the stats on them are much more valuable. I think they're good in hockey but paint a general picture only and you have to combine them with other information to make them useful.

Closed Thread