HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

07-08 Post-Season Thread

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-21-2008, 04:04 PM
  #26
Jarnberg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 5,483
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vipera1960 View Post
Probably not. But you are also making the assumption that, rather than making an attempt to trade older guys, Poile will trade the young players he described as the "core."
This is true.

I'm assuming that Poile is unable to move the veteran players needed to free up money.

If he can do so, great.

It's not like I want him to get rid of our younger players.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2008, 04:56 PM
  #27
isleskovalchuk
Registered User
 
isleskovalchuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,165
vCash: 500
hey guys, great series with the wings, few lucky bounces go your way, u guys coulda won that....

anyway i was reading through the boards cause i do follow the preds pretty closely (always have) and have a question....

why would the preds have to give up erat, weber or suter, if the owner plans to be spending more money this offseason anyway? Thats a very solid core to build around, i dont see why he wouldnt be at hte least keeping what they have?

isleskovalchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2008, 04:57 PM
  #28
nine_inch_fang
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Spring Hill, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 1,506
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
I think Nashville did very well attendance wise down the stretch and I believe that is a trend that will continue. This is a whole different ownership situation. Also the ownership group has stated that they plan to spend above the salary floor. By how much I don't know but if the projections for the floor are right and they spend a couple extra million you could see this team spend around 45.

nine_inch_fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2008, 05:48 PM
  #29
darth5
Rowsdower!
 
darth5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Smashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 2,413
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vipera1960 View Post
I think it really depends on several things:
1. Is Dan Ellis committed to testing free agency/are his contract demands too high? I don't think any team will give him big money, and I find it unlikely that on any team other than the Preds he could have a chance to go into training camp as the number one goaltender.

1a. If the Preds can reach a reasonable agreement with Ellis (something similar to Mason's contract from a couple of years ago - 1.25/year for 2 years, so probably $2 million/year for 2 years, though I hope less), will any team be willing to trade for Chris Mason? With Rinne on a one-way contract next year, he is pretty much a lock for one of the two goalie spots. Much as the Preds would like to keep Dan Ellis, I don't see them keeping him and paying Mason $3 million to play in the AHL, at the cost of other positions. I would look for the team to try and unload Mason to a team that thinks he might be able to regain his form.
<snip>.
I was talking to friend at work today. Let's say Ellis wants to test the market-- which team has an opening for a number 1? Niether of us could think of a team that doesn't have that slot penciled in right now (maybe you can help me). Given the market seems pretty settled for goalies, it limits Ellis's opportunities to go elsewhere. On the flip side, this compounds our situation with Mason. Nobody will take a chance at him for a number 1 slot given this season's debacle. Our only good chance to unload him is

a) buy him out, which is probably too painful for our ownership group to swallow
b) find a team with an overpriced surplus winger or d-man that we could trade problems with.

Otherwise, I have said it for the last two seasons-- this team must get bigger, grittier, and stronger at forward to go anywhere.

darth5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2008, 05:51 PM
  #30
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Melrose
Country: Italy
Posts: 23,525
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoda of the chains View Post
I was talking to friend at work today. Let's say Ellis wants to test the market-- which team has an opening for a number 1? Niether of us could think of a team that doesn't have that slot penciled in right now (maybe you can help me). Given the market seems pretty settled for goalies, it limits Ellis's opportunities to go elsewhere. On the flip side, this compounds our situation with Mason. Nobody will take a chance at him for a number 1 slot given this season's debacle. Our only good chance to unload him is

a) buy him out, which is probably too painful for our ownership group to swallow
b) find a team with an overpriced surplus winger or d-man that we could trade problems with.

Otherwise, I have said it for the last two seasons-- this team must get bigger, grittier, and stronger at forward to go anywhere.
Ottawa ... Ray Emery is all but out the door ... and Martin Gerber (will be 34 at the beginning of training camps)

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2008, 05:57 PM
  #31
Enoch
This is my boomstick
 
Enoch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Cookeville TN
Country: United States
Posts: 12,532
vCash: 500
Why would Nashville have to do anything about Sullivan. He certainly qualifies for the long-term IR compensation avenue that bailed out the Devils a year past.

__________________
- Enoch -
Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2008, 06:03 PM
  #32
vipera1960
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 173
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
Why would Nashville have to do anything about Sullivan. He certainly qualifies for the long-term IR compensation avenue that bailed out the Devils a year past.
LTIR only allows the team to exceed the cap by the player's salary (up to a fixed percentage of the cap that I don't feel like looking up). The team is still responsible for paying the player, and he still counts against the cap. That is to say, at least theoretically, it would be possible to exceed the cap given enough injuries, even if all the players were on LTIR.

vipera1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2008, 06:05 PM
  #33
vipera1960
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 173
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Trotz View Post
Ottawa ... Ray Emery is all but out the door ... and Martin Gerber (will be 34 at the beginning of training camps)
Given their experiences last time they took that route, I would expect Ottawa to avoid signing the "next great" backup goaltender. I think they will go after Theodore if they can.

vipera1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2008, 08:21 PM
  #34
Enoch
This is my boomstick
 
Enoch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Cookeville TN
Country: United States
Posts: 12,532
vCash: 500
Thanks vipera.

My questions are:

1) If Sullivan is on the IR.....are we paying his salary?

Our problem isn't salary cap room, it is simply how much money would we be paying someone that isn't on the ice. If Sullivan retires, it should not be a problem b/c we would not be paying him....

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2008, 08:57 PM
  #35
vipera1960
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 173
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
Thanks vipera.

My questions are:

1) If Sullivan is on the IR.....are we paying his salary?

Our problem isn't salary cap room, it is simply how much money would we be paying someone that isn't on the ice. If Sullivan retires, it should not be a problem b/c we would not be paying him....
Yes, we are paying his salary. I think the players on our roster earned something like $31 million this year. We then had $3.2 million paid to Sully and $1.6 million in possible bonuses for Gelinas (which he didn't earn) just to get to the cap floor. Like I said, if he retires, it's no problem because his money goes away and we get an extra $3 million to play with. If he comes back healthy, it's no problem because we gain a top six winger at a good price. The real issue is if we have another season like this one, where he's not playing and we're still paying him. On a positive note though, if he were to miraculously become healthy after next season he would be eligible for performance bonuses.

vipera1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2008, 09:06 PM
  #36
darth5
Rowsdower!
 
darth5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Smashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 2,413
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
Thanks vipera.

My questions are:

1) If Sullivan is on the IR.....are we paying his salary?

Our problem isn't salary cap room, it is simply how much money would we be paying someone that isn't on the ice. If Sullivan retires, it should not be a problem b/c we would not be paying him....
I thought I read somewhere that Sully's contract had been insured, so it was not really impacting the team's real balance sheet even though it counts vs. the cap

darth5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2008, 09:27 PM
  #37
Seth Lake
Registered User
 
Seth Lake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 8,855
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoda of the chains View Post
I thought I read somewhere that Sully's contract had been insured, so it was not really impacting the team's real balance sheet even though it counts vs. the cap
Yes, Sully's contract thankfully is insured and the Predators are paying nothing but the premiums on the policy.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2008, 09:33 PM
  #38
DManPreds11
Registered User
 
DManPreds11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 260
vCash: 500
Just a note I heard on the radio today when interviewing David Freeman that he said that he is almost for sure that Poile percentage of spending from last season will be higher than any other GM in the league this FA season. Now that can be looked at in several different directions depending what your personality is like. He added right after that statement that he wanted to sure up the current players on this past seasons roster. I think we'll resign most of our UFA/RFA's depending on if they would like to stay or think the offer is fair. Dumont did for a pretty reasonable price, Poile will probably shoot them an offer and put the ball in their court. I think we look to add one solid top 6 forward peferably a winger with some size. As far as goaltending that is way up in the air as far as I'm concerned but I think Ellie liked his stay, but will probably test the waters a bit. Poile learned his lesson with Mas so he won't shoot him high, might tell him he'll match any offer perhaps. Just some thoughts chat with you guys later.

DManPreds11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2008, 10:12 PM
  #39
Enoch
This is my boomstick
 
Enoch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Cookeville TN
Country: United States
Posts: 12,532
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Yes, Sully's contract thankfully is insured and the Predators are paying nothing but the premiums on the policy.
Thanks Yoda and Slake....This is what I was getting at. The Sullivan situation is out of our hands, but since we are not up against the cap, we are not particularly in a bind. If he can't play, we aren't really paying him. The problem for the Predators is simply the money they need to spend, not how much cap room they have/do not have (other than meeting the minimum).

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2008, 10:15 PM
  #40
Seth Lake
Registered User
 
Seth Lake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 8,855
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
Thanks Yoda and Slake....This is what I was getting at. The Sullivan situation is out of our hands, but since we are not up against the cap, we are not particularly in a bind. If he can't play, we aren't really paying him. The problem for the Predators is simply the money they need to spend, not how much cap room they have/do not have (other than meeting the minimum).
Sully wasn't put on LTIR this season to allow his contract to count against our cap space. We were paying him, but then insurance was paying us right back. Is that what you are talking about?

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2008, 12:00 AM
  #41
vipera1960
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 173
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoda of the chains View Post
I thought I read somewhere that Sully's contract had been insured, so it was not really impacting the team's real balance sheet even though it counts vs. the cap
Sorry. I have no knowledge of the team's insurance situation. I was merely answering the question from a CBA standpoint.

vipera1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2008, 12:02 AM
  #42
vipera1960
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 173
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Sully wasn't put on LTIR this season to allow his contract to count against our cap space. We were paying him, but then insurance was paying us right back. Is that what you are talking about?
Players on LTIR still count against the cap. All LTIR does is allow the team to exceed to the maximum by the player's salary. Even if Sully had been placed on LTIR, his salary would still be used to help the team reach the minimum. Poile didn't use the option because there was no need to, and it would have just been extra paperwork for him and extra examinations on Sully by the league's doctors.

vipera1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2008, 01:38 AM
  #43
sparkle twin
Real Deal
 
sparkle twin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Hendersonville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 2,921
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
Quote:
Originally Posted by DManPreds11 View Post
Just a note I heard on the radio today when interviewing David Freeman that he said that he is almost for sure that Poile percentage of spending from last season will be higher than any other GM in the league this FA season.
I heard that, too.

It sounds good, we will actually be able to participate in UFA signings. But when we were barely at the floor this past year, almost any amount will be a big percentange increase. Especially when considering how many teams are at or near the cap as it is.




I think we'll sign all 3 of Erat/Weber/Suter.
Weber is a lock whether it's one year or multi-year. Earlier in the year I wouldn't have been opposed to letting Suter go but he really stepped up this year, especially down the stretch and in the playoffs. And as much as Erat gets on my nerves sometimes, he quietly ends up being one of our top scorers again. So as long as none of them want an unreasonable amount I think all 3 will be resigned.

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2008, 07:45 AM
  #44
RollingPredFan
Registered User
 
RollingPredFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 632
vCash: 500
Well according to the paper:

Quote:
Free agents

Predators General Manager David Poile said earlier this season that he would — not might — re-sign his three key restricted free agents: defenseman Shea Weber, defenseman Ryan Suter and forward Martin Erat.

It seemed to be an indication that ownership had given Poile the go-ahead to pay what was necessary to keep the core of the team intact — and to prevent rival squads from dropping big offer sheets on those three players.

Is that still the case? The proof will lie in the signatures.
I think we'll lock up Weber, Suter and Erat.

RollingPredFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2008, 01:07 AM
  #45
golfmade
Go Preds Go
 
golfmade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Idahoan in Taiwan
Country: Taiwan
Posts: 19,706
vCash: 500
My sparse thoughts about the season, most of which has been said already:

First off, I'm still pissed we traded Vokoun. Granted, we got a decent return for him but I would have personally felt better with Vokoun and Ellis, but of course partly that's 20/20 hindsight. I guess I'm still just bitter we traded away my favorite goalie and favorite Predator. C'est la vie.

As for Mase, it's not that I don't like him but the salary we offered him was too high IMO and now what do we do with him?

Ellis, really surprised with his play, the ONLY Predator that I can say I've actually seen play before. Did amazingly well in his playoff run years ago in the ECHL taking Idaho to the Kelly Cup, knew he'd get a shot at the NHL but didn't think he'd do so well, let alone for the Preds.

I'm still happy we signed Bonk. His +/- not with standing, I think his strong two way play and leadership helped the team. And of course the timely goal helped as well.

I've always liked Legwand, although obviously not as much as Spank. To me he's the first player I think of when I hear Predators. Had a solid season and it sucks we was injured yet again in the playoffs.

Tootoo, love him or hate him he worked his ass off in the playoffs and worked hard all season long. Still makes dumb mistakes every now and then but for the most part I think he's much better at playing his style but not crossing over the edge.

I'm obviously limited into my scope and view of this team being as to that I live across the globe and am restricted in my actual viewership of games live.

That said, I'm still god damn proud of this team and proud to be a Predators fan. Even with him gone I still wear my Vokoun jersey with pride (although not as much here when it's so hot) and I'm already pondering getting another jersey for my birthday next year.

After all the **** the team and fans (not me as much obviously so I give props to you all that were able to go to games and support the team more directly) went through this season, to make the playoffs and push it to six games is amazing.

I'm still kicking myself I never made a trip to see a game before I moved to Taiwan, but still holding out hope for the future.

And I want to also add I really appreciate the input of those around here that help to inform us more not only about the team, but the coaches, the city, and hockey in general. I don't post over at the other board, and I wish we had more posters here but I wouldn't trade any of you for anything, well, I'm still pondering trading Smokey for anything, I think it's down to a few pucks and pocket lint.

With all that said, the future is indeed bright and more stable than ever and here's to an even better 2008-09 season

golfmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2008, 08:10 AM
  #46
Enoch
This is my boomstick
 
Enoch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Cookeville TN
Country: United States
Posts: 12,532
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfmade View Post

I'm obviously limited into my scope and view of this team being as to that I live across the globe and am restricted in my actual viewership of games live.

That said, I'm still god damn proud of this team and proud to be a Predators fan. Even with him gone I still wear my Vokoun jersey with pride (although not as much here when it's so hot) and I'm already pondering getting another jersey for my birthday next year.

After all the **** the team and fans (not me as much obviously so I give props to you all that were able to go to games and support the team more directly) went through this season, to make the playoffs and push it to six games is amazing.

I'm still kicking myself I never made a trip to see a game before I moved to Taiwan, but still holding out hope for the future.

And I want to also add I really appreciate the input of those around here that help to inform us more not only about the team, but the coaches, the city, and hockey in general. I don't post over at the other board, and I wish we had more posters here but I wouldn't trade any of you for anything, well, I'm still pondering trading Smokey for anything, I think it's down to a few pucks and pocket lint.

With all that said, the future is indeed bright and more stable than ever and here's to an even better 2008-09 season

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2008, 11:40 AM
  #47
braindead
Registered User
 
braindead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: The cookie spoke
Country: Tibet
Posts: 2,767
vCash: 500
I've failed to mention, in my own petty way, how pleasing it was that Craig-O Liepold also missed out on the second round of the playoffs. Here's to us getting there before him.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2008, 02:53 PM
  #48
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Melrose
Country: Italy
Posts: 23,525
vCash: 500
THN's pre-draft rankings are as follows ...

#1 - Steven Stamkos
#2 - Drew Doughty
#3 - Zach Bogosian
#4 - Nikita Filatov
#5 - Alex Pietrangelo
#6 - Luke Schenn
#7 - Colin Wilson
#8 - Cody Hodgson
#9 - Mikkel Boedker
#10 - Kyle Beach

#15 - Michael Del Zotto
#31 - Jared Staal
#46 - Jamie Arniel

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2008, 03:35 PM
  #49
Enoch
This is my boomstick
 
Enoch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Cookeville TN
Country: United States
Posts: 12,532
vCash: 500
To be honest, I don't think I would be upset drafting Filatov, Wilson, Hodgson, Beach, or Boedker. Throw in Schenn and Pietrangelo at 9 as well.....

Seeing as how one of those 6 will undoubtedly be available, I think we will get a very good prospect at no. 9. Its possible two of those are available....

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2008, 03:47 PM
  #50
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD
 
BigFatCat999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Campbell, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 10,064
vCash: 500
I'd love to see Poile make a move to trade up and either get three 1sts or move the #9 into the top 5 and the #15 into the top 10.

BigFatCat999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:08 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.