HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

Gaborik choked

Old
04-20-2008, 01:28 AM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck33 View Post
Ya they were trying to set up that quick one timer/slapper most every play but we did do a good job of not allowing them to set up inside.
Here's the thing that really gets me about the Wild crapping the proverbial bed in this series. They signed Sean Hill in the offseason and brought Chris Simon in at the deadline along with Booger (Boogard) to be able to throw weight around against teams like the Avs and Lemaire doesn't even use them in those roles.

I don't get it.

Old
04-20-2008, 01:34 AM
vitogor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolemite View Post
No, the Wild, for whatever reason, refused to camp players in front of Theodore and rely solely on their perimiter game.
Exactly. All of our top guns are perimeter players - Gaborik, Demitra, Rolston, Bouchard... The only exception is Koivu, and wow, guess what - he is the one who had the most success in this series. Trying to balance it out with guys like Voros, Fedoruk and Simon obviously didn't work, as they are all very limited players. The Avs on the other hand have Smyth, Brunette, Forsberg - all very skilled AND willing to go to the net. That was the difference in the series IMO.

vitogor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2008, 01:44 AM
vitogor

Quote:
Here's the thing that really gets me about the Wild crapping the proverbial bed in this series. They signed Sean Hill in the offseason and brought Chris Simon in at the deadline along with Booger (Boogard) to be able to throw weight around against teams like the Avs and Lemaire doesn't even use them in those roles.

I don't get it.
There's obviously lack of communication (or understanding?) between the GM and the coach. The same exact thing happened last year with Dominic Moore and Adam Hall. Risebrough is so obsessed with finding dirt-cheap spare parts on the market, that he forgets to look at the bigger picture to realize that his team has gaping holes.

Old
04-20-2008, 01:46 AM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitogor View Post
There's obviously lack of communication (or understanding?) between the GM and the coach. The same exact thing happened last year with Dominic Moore and Adam Hall. Risebrough is so obsessed with finding dirt-cheap spare parts on the market, that he forgets to look at the bigger picture to realize that his team has gaping holes.
The holes are on defense. But you are correct, I though Risebrough was a genius when he made those deals especially after Anaheim beat the crap out of them in last years playoffs. But still, those sides of beef are who you put in front of Theodore....specifically Simon.

Dolemite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2008, 08:51 AM
jaydog

I thought Gaborik played pretty well. opened up alot, kept pretty active. Demitra on the other hand was useless. Rolston as well. i know he has a big shot, but he is not going to score on many 65 footers.

jaydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2008, 11:35 AM
NOTENOUGHBREWER

Quote:
Exactly. All of our top guns are perimeter players - Gaborik, Demitra, Rolston, Bouchard... The only exception is Koivu, and wow, guess what - he is the one who had the most success in this series. Trying to balance it out with guys like Voros, Fedoruk and Simon obviously didn't work, as they are all very limited players. The Avs on the other hand have Smyth, Brunette, Forsberg - all very skilled AND willing to go to the net. That was the difference in the series IMO.
Sorry but its the playoffs. You wanna score, you wanna win, you drive to the net and play hard in the dirty areas you dont just expect someone else to do it for you. All those guys are fast and can cut to the net with speed if they wanted to. I really think Rolston was trying to get into the scoring areas but Demitra and Gaborik both didnt seem to get into the places where they could get the points.

NOTENOUGHBREWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2008, 12:44 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koivu84 View Post
For a team that relies to much on him, Gaborik was non existent in this series. Did Gaborik choke?
Got strangled, to be more acurate.

Quote:
Stockpiled weapons for the war with Anahiem, but they didn't work for the war you had. Kind of overreacted to the way you lost last year.

Hasbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2008, 03:59 PM
Buck33
drive to the net

Buck33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2008, 08:37 PM
vitogor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro View Post

Stockpiled weapons for the war with Anahiem, but they didn't work for the war you had. Kind of overreacted to the way you lost last year.
Not necessarily overreacted, but went about it the wrong way, no question. Oh well, there's always next year...

Old
04-21-2008, 08:11 PM
Mant*

Quote:

I don't get it.
Because, regardless of what happened in "Slap Shot", goons don't win playoff series.

Mant* is offline   Reply With Quote