HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

Dolphin fans...........

Old
04-22-2008, 12:50 PM
NJ_CATS_FAN
We Suck Yet Again

vCash: 500
Dolphin fans...........

Jake Long will be a Miami Dolphin. Its official.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft0...ory?id=3358424

NJ_CATS_FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2008, 12:57 PM
OneOfTheHockeyGods*

not a fan but its a good, safe, smart pick.

OneOfTheHockeyGods* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2008, 12:57 PM
Clint

Send a message via AIM to Clint
Not a bad selection as our offensive line has been freaking horrible since Ricky's ganja days, but we should have traded down to about 4 or 5 and taken him. I'm pretty sure he'd still be on the board by then.

Clint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2008, 01:02 PM
Clint

Send a message via AIM to Clint
This also means that St. Louis will probably take Chris Long, and Darren McFadden falls to the Raiders. Can you imagine JaMarcus Russell and McFadden paired up? Seems like the Raiders offensive future may be pretty bright after all.

Clint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2008, 01:11 PM
NJ_CATS_FAN
We Suck Yet Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint View Post
This also means that St. Louis will probably take Chris Long, and Darren McFadden falls to the Raiders. Can you imagine JaMarcus Russell and McFadden paired up? Seems like the Raiders offensive future may be pretty bright after all.
Thats exactly what Ive been saying all along. Alot of people keep saying McFadden will fall to the Jets at #6, but I cant see him falling past Oakland. They already have their future QB, now they add their future RB.

Old
04-22-2008, 01:52 PM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
I don't know Clint, I think St. Louis wanted Jake Long so I don't think we would have been able to get him later.

Regardless, it's a moot point because there was no way we were going to be able to trade down IMO.

I actually like the pick. The Dolphins offensive line has been brutal for like 5-6 years now and nobody would address the issue. Kudos to Parcells and crew for doing so. We now have 3 (maybe 4 since I don't know much about Smiley) offensive linemen that should do their jobs very well.

The one thing that I worry about is that coming out of the Big Ten, I question the talent of the players he played against because quite frankly the Big Ten is the most overrated conference in the nation.

Now, lets hope we fix the other area that has sucked for a long time -- the secondary.

Rattrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2008, 02:17 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattrick View Post
I don't know Clint, I think St. Louis wanted Jake Long so I don't think we would have been able to get him later.

Regardless, it's a moot point because there was no way we were going to be able to trade down IMO.

I actually like the pick. The Dolphins offensive line has been brutal for like 5-6 years now and nobody would address the issue. Kudos to Parcells and crew for doing so. We now have 3 (maybe 4 since I don't know much about Smiley) offensive linemen that should do their jobs very well.

The one thing that I worry about is that coming out of the Big Ten, I question the talent of the players he played against because quite frankly the Big Ten is the most overrated conference in the nation.

Now, lets hope we fix the other area that has sucked for a long time -- the secondary.
They did want Jake Long. As far as the big ten, there is a lot of defensive talent there. Long allowed only two sacks his whole career at Michigan I believe, and was only called for less than a handful of penalties. Im happy that we landed him. He should be on par with last years selection by Cleveland, Joe Thomas. If thats the case, then we have a he!! of a LT on our offensive line for the next decade. 6-7 and 320, he will be a beast on the line. And its nice to see:

1. This team FINALLY ante up and pay for an offensive lineman
2. This team FINALLY have a good offensive line.

For years, this team has been reluctant to go out and spend the money in UFA on a tackle. Now this team has a good, young LT, a young, talented C, a RG, and a RT. I cant wait to see what Sparano, our HC and former Cowboys Oline coach, can do with these guys. Superbowls are won in the trenches, and if you dont have good Oline/Dlines, then you are in trouble.

pb1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2008, 02:23 PM
NJ_CATS_FAN
We Suck Yet Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
They did want Jake Long. As far as the big ten, there is a lot of defensive talent there. Long allowed only two sacks his whole career at Michigan I believe, and was only called for less than a handful of penalties. Im happy that we landed him. He should be on par with last years selection by Cleveland, Joe Thomas. If thats the case, then we have a he!! of a LT on our offensive line for the next decade. 6-7 and 320, he will be a beast on the line. And its nice to see:

1. This team FINALLY ante up and pay for an offensive lineman
2. This team FINALLY have a good offensive line.

For years, this team has been reluctant to go out and spend the money in UFA on a tackle. Now this team has a good, young LT, a young, talented C, a RG, and a RT. I cant wait to see what Sparano, our HC and former Cowboys Oline coach, can do with these guys. Superbowls are won in the trenches, and if you dont have good Oline/Dlines, then you are in trouble.
Jake is 6'-7", Thomas is 6'-6" and both weigh 313 and according to the video on espn, they said Jake is more physical than Thomas. I think Jake will live up to the expectations without a problem.

Old
04-22-2008, 02:28 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ_CATS_FAN View Post
Jake is 6'-7", Thomas is 6'-6" and both weigh 313 and according to the video on espn, they said Jake is more physical than Thomas. I think Jake will live up to the expectations without a problem.
Yeah ive read a lot of things on Jake. For anyone interested, checkout Finheaven.com, the biggest Fin Forum. Thomas seems to be a bit more versatile i believe is what they said, but I think Jake will be fine. Thomas is more filled out in, but Jake looks like the Big Show with pads on. He has a long reach, HUGE hands, and to me, looks like he moves his feet well. A lot of people are questioning whether he would be a left tackle or right tackle for us, but it seems to be left tackle since that is what they said in the press conference.

Old
04-22-2008, 03:05 PM
hoax15

Send a message via AIM to hoax15
This is very good news! I am really happy that the dolphins future finally looks bright.

hoax15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2008, 04:01 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Very happy with this pick! This guy is HUGE and like PB pointed out, he's incredibly disciplined for someone who's so physical up front. I'm reeeeally hoping this guy is like Hutchinson in Minnesota. That guy is amazing.

I'm also happy that we still have 8 picks after Long, including 4 of the first 64! When's the last time that's happened?

With Booker, the linemen, Beck, and I'm not even too upset about Ginn, it seems Cameron and crew didn't draft too bad. They at least did better than their predecessors.

04-22-2008, 04:29 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Very happy with this pick! This guy is HUGE and like PB pointed out, he's incredibly disciplined for someone who's so physical up front. I'm reeeeally hoping this guy is like Hutchinson in Minnesota. That guy is amazing.

I'm also happy that we still have 8 picks after Long, including 4 of the first 64! When's the last time that's happened?

With Booker, the linemen, Beck, and I'm not even too upset about Ginn, it seems Cameron and crew didn't draft too bad. They at least did better than their predecessors.
Well Hutch, who i played against in High School down here, is a Left guard, not a tackle. But if Long can be as good at LT as Hutch is to LG, this would be a fantastic pick. To mention the eight more picks, it might be even more if Taylor is also moved. There are rumors that we might even get a low 1st or mid second for him, which is a plus. This weekend is going to be a big day in the rebirth of a historic franchise.

Old
04-22-2008, 04:40 PM
NJ_CATS_FAN
We Suck Yet Again

Quote:
Yeah ive read a lot of things on Jake. For anyone interested, checkout Finheaven.com, the biggest Fin Forum. Thomas seems to be a bit more versatile i believe is what they said, but I think Jake will be fine. Thomas is more filled out in, but Jake looks like the Big Show with pads on. He has a long reach, HUGE hands, and to me, looks like he moves his feet well. A lot of people are questioning whether he would be a left tackle or right tackle for us, but it seems to be left tackle since that is what they said in the press conference.
Ive been a member for a while now. Great site for Fins Fans.

Old
04-22-2008, 04:43 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Well Hutch, who i played against in High School down here, is a Left guard, not a tackle. But if Long can be as good at LT as Hutch is to LG, this would be a fantastic pick. To mention the eight more picks, it might be even more if Taylor is also moved. There are rumors that we might even get a low 1st or mid second for him, which is a plus. This weekend is going to be a big day in the rebirth of a historic franchise.
Yeah, sorry, I knew he was a guard and that's what I meant. I just think he's the best O-lineman in football right now. Pretty cool you played against him, my buddy was a QB on his middle school team or something like that.

I wouldn't mind losing Taylor for that kind of return.

BTW, who lines up at each O-line position now? Doesn't Carey go back to guard?

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2008, 04:50 PM
NJ_CATS_FAN
We Suck Yet Again

Well now that Long is officially signed, the Fins are looking to trade Taylor. I can definitely see a trade on draft day.

http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10793661

Old
04-22-2008, 05:29 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Seahawks released Alexander. http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3361271 Don't want Miami to pick him up, but it's news nonetheless.

Old
04-22-2008, 05:34 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Well now that Long is officially signed, the Fins are looking to trade Taylor. I can definitely see a trade on draft day.

http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10793661
Dunno. That article is saying noone really wants to give more than a 3rd rounder for him. I don't want him to go for that. Perhaps Chad Johnson for Taylor? Just a thought. I can't stand most of his antics and he's a prima dona, but (while he's a bit overrated, imo) he's still a better receiver than what we have on this team now. Maybe he's not the right fit for a young receiver, though.

Old
04-22-2008, 05:42 PM
NJ_CATS_FAN
We Suck Yet Again

Quote:
Dunno. That article is saying noone really wants to give more than a 3rd rounder for him. I don't want him to go for that. Perhaps Chad Johnson for Taylor? Just a thought. I can't stand most of his antics and he's a prima dona, but (while he's a bit overrated, imo) he's still a better receiver than what we have on this team now. Maybe he's not the right fit for a young receiver, though.
If MIA doesnt get any offers no better than a 3rd, then they wont trade him. Miami wants a mid to late 1st rounder for him, and its well worth it. Even though JT is up in age, he can still play and still has a few years left. Parcells will not trade him just to trade him, the value has to be there. I really think come draft day, someone will come with the right offer. I said it today, I expect to see JT traded to Dallas for either their 22nd or 28th pick. Dallas is already a contender, and if they trade for JT and reunite him with Zach, Dallas instantly becomes a favorite. We all know Jerry Jones likes to make noise, and acquiring a Jason Taylor is just that. I really think JT will be traded, and I am going on record to say he will be traded to Dallas.

I love CJ's personality and would love to have him on the Fins, but the reality is, its not going to happen. Cincy is taking a stand on not trading him, but for them to turn down the offer that WAS gave them today, is just plain stupid. If a guy is going to be that much of a problem and distraction, the best thing for Cincy to do is to trade him and get value for him. It seems like Cincy turned this trade down just to show that CJ doesnt run the team. I agree with that philosopy, but to turn down an offer that WAS gave, Im sorry, but its just plain dumb. I believe it was a 1st round pick this year and a 1st rounder next year. Thats 2 first round picks for a great WR, so the value is definitely there. I think this whole CJ situation is only going to get worse, Im just glad we dont have to deal with it.

Old
04-22-2008, 09:17 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Zach's awesome: http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/f...,5363848.story

Quote:
"Dallas was a very good fit for him because, like New England, they're a winning team," Drew Rosenhaus told 560-AM (WQAM) Tuesday morning. "They're in his home state, close to his family, and he grew up as a Cowboys fan. But also being a loyal Dolphin, and he'll always be a Dolphin, it would have been very difficult for him [to play for New England]. He did not want to alienate his fans, and really, I don't think, he wanted to compete against the Dolphins."
He didn't have to do that, but he did. Going to miss him.

Old
04-22-2008, 09:23 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
If MIA doesnt get any offers no better than a 3rd, then they wont trade him. Miami wants a mid to late 1st rounder for him, and its well worth it. Even though JT is up in age, he can still play and still has a few years left. Parcells will not trade him just to trade him, the value has to be there. I really think come draft day, someone will come with the right offer. I said it today, I expect to see JT traded to Dallas for either their 22nd or 28th pick. Dallas is already a contender, and if they trade for JT and reunite him with Zach, Dallas instantly becomes a favorite. We all know Jerry Jones likes to make noise, and acquiring a Jason Taylor is just that. I really think JT will be traded, and I am going on record to say he will be traded to Dallas.

I love CJ's personality and would love to have him on the Fins, but the reality is, its not going to happen. Cincy is taking a stand on not trading him, but for them to turn down the offer that WAS gave them today, is just plain stupid. If a guy is going to be that much of a problem and distraction, the best thing for Cincy to do is to trade him and get value for him. It seems like Cincy turned this trade down just to show that CJ doesnt run the team. I agree with that philosopy, but to turn down an offer that WAS gave, Im sorry, but its just plain dumb. I believe it was a 1st round pick this year and a 1st rounder next year. Thats 2 first round picks for a great WR, so the value is definitely there. I think this whole CJ situation is only going to get worse, Im just glad we dont have to deal with it.
Dunno about Taylor to Dallas. Guess we'll wait and see.

Agree on Chad being traded. He's going to be a distraction, get him out of there.

Old
04-23-2008, 08:30 AM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

Great that we finally have somebody who will protect our QB even after the wistle blows. I just hope with Beck having more time to throw the ball that he makes good decisions.

Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 08:56 AM
SouthFLFan79

everytime miami has gone to the super bowl there was a cosistent factor of HoF linemen

Be it from Little to Kouch (whould be hoF), to Stephenson (actually believe kouch was at everyone). Miami has always had hof oline there for the ride.

This is the firs time since Webb and sims left that really we have had an elite caliber potential Oline.

I love it, I want a big time guard in the 57th pick or 3rd rounder now to focus this into a top elite unit

SouthFLFan79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 10:00 AM
Lola
Future Panthers

Quote:

I hope he wins a bowl there (but not at our expense). Great guy.

Lola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 11:00 AM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

Quote:

Yeah. Cudos to him for not betraying the fans. I hope he does well in Dallas!

Old
04-23-2008, 11:05 AM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

Thinking about this kid a little longer I think he will not only help give our QB more time to throw but will also open alot of holes for Ronnie Brown. Brown should have a career year in the backfield as long as he stays healthy. He will probably break a few big runs with having more holes to pick from.