HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Preventing the violence...

Old
04-22-2008, 10:50 AM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDH View Post
siple you walk up to the huge crowd of rioters, pull out your standard issue handgun, and blow someones head off...then the crowd would think "hey I dont want my head blown off, i better stop this tomfoolery"
What happens when the rioters are more heavily armed than the police? That needs to be addressed.
Obviously we'd have to give up some basic rights for your scenario to occur. I'm not opposed to it, but I'm not a rebel.

loudi94 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2008, 11:12 AM
Mustang5ohhh

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Mustang5ohhh Send a message via Skype™ to Mustang5ohhh
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDH View Post
siple you walk up to the huge crowd of rioters, pull out your standard issue handgun, and blow someones head off...then the crowd would think "hey I dont want my head blown off, i better stop this tomfoolery"
Great contribution ... you're a deep thinker ... I can tell.

Mustang5ohhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2008, 11:13 AM
InPriceWeTrust

when's Bruce Wayne gonna come out of his bat cave

InPriceWeTrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2008, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudi94 View Post
What happens when the rioters are more heavily armed than the police? That needs to be addressed.
Obviously we'd have to give up some basic rights for your scenario to occur. I'm not opposed to it, but I'm not a rebel.
Or what happens when the rioters are cop themselves and are trying start some **** like we saw in Montebello ?

I don't like rioters but i question some of the police tactics as well.

131313 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2008, 11:22 AM
StanAjax

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudi94 View Post
Your way of thinking is really frightening me.

You know how they used to build dictatorships back in the good old days... You would not be a rebel at first, but you never knows where it stops when you start to give up basic rights...

There's no solution but Dripper and Pam19's one : leaving the area quickly to isolate the rioters. Ant let the police work...

StanAjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2008, 12:35 PM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanAjax View Post
Your way of thinking is really frightening me.

You know how they used to build dictatorships back in the good old days... You would not be a rebel at first, but you never knows where it stops when you start to give up basic rights...

There's no solution but Dripper and Pam19's one : leaving the area quickly to isolate the rioters. Ant let the police work...
What I meant by basic rights is that in order for a cop to randomly blow someone's head off, he'd have to have the support of the law behind him. Currently that is not the case- nor should it be. Leaving the scene to isolate rioters is the best thing people can do, but what can the police do when there are cameras all over scrutinizing their every move?

loudi94 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2008, 12:42 PM
Forum Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vards View Post
Hummmm.. while that is a good point, I'm not really asking who we blame... maybe there is no easy answer to my question...

It's just sad, I know there are tons of people out there who, like me, love the city (even though I am Ontarian, I am moving there shortly), love the team, and when this happens (even if it's not "fans" per. say) it dampens what should be a great happy celebratry feeling.

Edit: Maybe we just need to clinch series' on the road...
Won't make a difference. The '86 riot happened even though the Habs won the Cup in Calgary.

Forum Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2008, 12:54 PM
LyleOdelein

In this case, the best vigilence is removing yourself from the area. The best thing to do is not linger around if things start to get out of hand. Policemen in a situation like this have to make sure that the crowd is controlled before they can apprehend or track down the troublemakers. That is why it appears as though the riot cops are "just standing off to the side, not doing anything." Usually they are positioned near the mob of spectators and monitoring the situation that is going on. If there are fewer people that are standing around and spectating, then there are fewer cops required to position themselves and monitor the crowd behaviour, thus there are more cops to arrest and detain the idiots who are causing trouble.

I think that if something like last night happens again, the police will be a lot more forceful in gaining control of this situation. It is certainly not something I would want to find myself in the middle of.

LyleOdelein is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2008, 01:39 PM
Mats NAslund

I was there last night and it seemed to me that the violence was very organized. what I mean is that it seeemed that most of the violence was started by local thugs or "gangs"

Mats NAslund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2008, 03:02 PM
Vlad The Impaler

Some posters have already stated the obvious: If you witness trouble, get the **** out of there. Unfortunately, people have this urge to witness incidents, just like slowing down your car to watch a wreck.

If you get out of there, you improve the chance that the authorities can identify, contain and arrest rioters as well as limit the riot's damages.

If there's one thing that policemen, firemen, paramedics, etc... hate, it's people trying to help and usually ending up hindering them in the process.

So don't stay. Don't try to help. Don't try to stop rioters. Just leave. And the more people actually leave instead of being sheepish bystanders, the less sheeps will be behind you watching like a bunch of useless twats.

Just get out of the way and leave.

Vlad The Impaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2008, 03:05 PM
Jean-Guy Drouin*

Let the players fight.

It will let the fan screaming and yelling about violence and he will pass his frustration there instead of putting police car in fire.

Jean-Guy Drouin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2008, 03:07 PM
SpreeEndaz

Let police recruit volunteers to run around with nightsticks and tasers, satisfaction guarenteed.

Last edited by SpreeEndaz: 04-22-2008 at 03:34 PM.
SpreeEndaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2008, 03:24 PM
pepperMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad The Impaler View Post
Some posters have already stated the obvious: If you witness trouble, get the **** out of there. Unfortunately, people have this urge to witness incidents, just like slowing down your car to watch a wreck.

If you get out of there, you improve the chance that the authorities can identify, contain and arrest rioters as well as limit the riot's damages.

If there's one thing that policemen, firemen, paramedics, etc... hate, it's people trying to help and usually ending up hindering them in the process.

So don't stay. Don't try to help. Don't try to stop rioters. Just leave. And the more people actually leave instead of being sheepish bystanders, the less sheeps will be behind you watching like a bunch of useless twats.

Smartest thing I read all day.

pepperMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 08:15 AM
Moester

Send a message via AIM to Moester Send a message via MSN to Moester
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad The Impaler View Post

Vlad, I've disagreed with you before, but I must say that is one well thought out and intelligent solution. I wish everyone would just take this to heart, as much as I would hate to have my party stopped by a bunch of morrons trying to break and steal things, its better than helping them by my mere presence giving them cover.

Moester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 08:19 AM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vards View Post
I know there are already a few threads about this stuff, but I want this one to be different...

I want to start a discussion, on the following question:

What can the average non-violent, happy-go-lucky Habs fan to in the future to help prevent the violence? There are so many more good guys than bad guys that you'd think there has to be a way to work together (with the poliece) to keep the celebrations happy.

Please, try to keep this on topic...
Leave policemen with Tazers in each car... Zap the rioters. Once they taste that medecine, they won't come back.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 08:45 AM
Blades 0f Steel

Get your cellphones out and take a pic/video of any crime and send it to the authorities.

Then, as previously mentioned, run like a little girl.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 08:54 AM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
Leave policemen with Tazers in each car... Zap the rioters. Once they taste that medecine, they won't come back.
My brother was tazed when he was 17 coming home from school.

He was walking home with some friends, and tried to act cool by finishing his can of pop, tossing it to the side and hitting a parked car with the empty can. What proceeded was the most scary event of his life. Two men dressed in street clothes hopped out of the car and chased after him, then tazed him and threw him to the ground. They were undercover cops on a drug stakeout, and they got freaked out because thought they were discovered.

So yeah, giving cops tazers to hit bystanders caught in the wrong place/wrong time isn't such a smart idea.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 09:12 AM
habfan4

Quote:
Originally Posted by KostitsyntheBagBaby View Post
Get your cellphones out and take a pic/video of any crime and send it to the authorities.

Then, as previously mentioned, run like a little girl.
Seems people are sending their videos to the police to help identify those responsible - see link Toronto Star Article

habfan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 09:26 AM
rudethedude66

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsKraut View Post
I did exactly that during the riots in 93: me and a friend (Montreal native) were celebrating the victory with the crowd downtown. Walked down St. Catherine all the way from St. Laurant to the Forum. Everything peaceful until we came to the Forum where suddenly people started to riot. We ended up right in the middle of everything. People started looting shops across from the Forum and me and my friend tried to stop them. I guess if we hadn't been that drunk we wouldn't have dared ... but we were pretty drunk. Anyway, nobody cared about what we tried to do. Policemen in riot gear were standing by, dozens of them only 100 mtrs away. I approached them, pointed out towards certain people who I had seen carry all kinds of stuff away from the shops. The policemen didn't move. I got angry because of that until they threatened to arrest me! Then I went back to try to stop the looters personally when suddenly one of them pulled something out of his jacket. My friend just screamed that it was a gun and we ran as fast as we could. I still don't know if it was a gun or not but it scared the sh... out of me.
So you better be careful thinking about self justice.
Had a great night anyway ... as far as I remember after all those beers...

rudethedude66 is offline   Reply With Quote