HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Julien benching Kessel

Old
04-22-2008, 02:13 PM
Gee Wally
Grumpy

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
Bruins fan here.. I come in peace.

The issues with Kessel date back to the regular season. Too many games he was a no show. I know people who sit next to the bench and they have mentioned on a few occasions the coaches speaking to kessel about his defensive game and phil just looking the other way. Kessel scored 19 goals this season, 5 of those were a 3 goal effort and a 2 goal effort in games #4 and #9.

He needed a kick in the ass IMO and thats what he got. The Kessel that came back for game 5 was like nothing I have seen this year. He was playing well against the boards, taking the body, and not trying to do it all himself. I don't know how many times this season he took the puck down the ice and lost it or put his team offsides.

The kid has been a star his whole career. Always the guy who was going to split the D and score the big goal, all on his own. He cant do that in the NHL and it's hard for him to adjust his game. Part of the problem IMO was not playing juniors in Canada, but that is a different argument for a different day.
all valid and true points. Nothing I can argue.

What I can add is that the coaching staff kept Kessel "after school" ( practice) on numerous occasions to try to help him sharpen his defensive skills. The kid has a tremendous amount of offensive skill but if he's leads the time in minus what good does it do you.?
Also, as most realize the team's success is dependent on all buying into a system. You simply can't have a rogue player. Especially one so young. Doing his own thing.

IMO, the benching, although maybe severe, was the right move at the time. Kessel, if mature enough, will be a better player for it.

BOSTON STRONG !!!
Gee Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2008, 02:40 PM
TheTriad

Habs fans should thank Julien for his stubborness, Kessel was easily the best Boston player in game 5/6/7...benching a player is one thing, but scractching him completely for 3 pivotal games is simply a mistake, how many gamebreaker like him does Boston have? Kessel would have been the player who turned this series around for Boston, if they won Game 7.
In conclusion, between Julien and Kessel, I think one of them has to go. As Kessel will never reach his fullpotential in Julien's System.....there is a reason why Julien was once hired by the Devils.

Last edited by TheTriad: 04-22-2008 at 02:45 PM.
TheTriad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2008, 02:42 PM
Capitano

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTriad View Post
Habs fans should thank Julien for his stubborness, Kessel was easily the best Boston player in game 5/6/7...benching a player is one thing, but scractching him completely for 3 pivotal games is simply a mistake, how many gamebreaker like him does Boston have? Kessel COULD have been the player who turned this series around for Boston, if they won Game 7.
fixed

Capitano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2008, 04:12 PM
Erik Estrada

-I don't know how Kessel was in the dressing room, in practice, etc... so it's very hard to judge Julien's decision.
-I just hope Julien didn't give excessive deference to a player like Murray just because he's a veteran. Some of the most troublesome players for the Habs on the Bruins generally slower roster were the speedsters like Sturm and Axelsson. Murray just looked like an old truck that was completely out of place. 0g-0a-0pts and -3 in the 7 games (1 hit/game just like Kessel).

Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2008, 04:13 PM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTriad View Post
Habs fans should thank Julien for his stubborness, Kessel was easily the best Boston player in game 5/6/7...benching a player is one thing, but scractching him completely for 3 pivotal games is simply a mistake, how many gamebreaker like him does Boston have? Kessel would have been the player who turned this series around for Boston, if they won Game 7.
In conclusion, between Julien and Kessel, I think one of them has to go. As Kessel will never reach his fullpotential in Julien's System.....there is a reason why Julien was once hired by the Devils.
How was Kessel in game 1?

Was he Bostons best player?

Perhaps being benched worked and he played well in 5/6/7. As someone who saw every game this season, the Kessel we all saw was NOT the same player that was in game 1 or the regular season.

Morris Wanchuk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2008, 04:21 PM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris La Tigre View Post
Tough decision from Julien... it seemed to work out for him, but maybe one game off would have been smarter. Kessel is their best goal scoring threat. Those are the kinds of things guys remember, come UFA time.
Kessel won't be a UFA for a Long Time. It's only his second season in the NHL.

Neely2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2008, 04:22 PM
Nobak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Estrada View Post
-I don't know how Kessel was in the dressing room, in practice, etc... so it's very hard to judge Julien's decision.
-I just hope Julien didn't give excessive deference to a player like Murray just because he's a veteran. Some of the most troublesome players for the Habs on the Bruins generally slower roster were the speedsters like Sturm and Axelsson. Murray just looked like an old truck that was completely out of place. 0g-0a-0pts and -3 in the 7 games (1 hit/game just like Kessel).
Agreed.
Murray wasn't just invisible. I noticed him consistently messing up good Bruins sequences. He was probably the worst Bruins player in the series IMO.

Nobak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2008, 04:33 PM
Lone Rogue

While improving on defensive play is a good thing, Bruins should really worry about their coaches pounding on Kessel about it. Ryder got pounded here about his defensive inefficiencies and he pretty much turned into an average two way forward from the sniper he used to be.

Phil Kessel is an incredible talent and the Bruins need to work on him as such. Who cares if he isn't that good defensively? Was Teemu Selanne? It's about who you get on his line.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2008, 06:07 PM
JrHockeyFan

Hmmmm. It is hard to say. One thing is certain, he responded the right way performance and attitude-wise.

Hey, coaches sink or swim with these decisions. I'm guessing Kessel won't have to sit again

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2008, 06:09 PM
tinyzombies

Reminds me of when he sat Perezhogin.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote