HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Does Gretz take Bertuzzi?

Closed Thread

Old
05-14-2004, 09:23 PM
Loweball

vCash: 500
Does Gretz take Bertuzzi?

I know it's been talked to death here but I want to see what people think now. Does Gretz take Bertuzzi and waste a roster spot should he not be allowed to play?

We can talk until we are blue in the face who we could take over him.

A simple yes or no answer would be great

Old
05-14-2004, 09:33 PM
Cerebral

I've got a feeling he will be taken..

Old
05-14-2004, 09:34 PM
creative giant*

no

i don't think he should have been able to go even if he hadn't jumped moore. his play didn't drop all that much, i just see more talented people out there to pull on the leaf than bert

Old
05-14-2004, 09:35 PM
Chimera28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund Oiler
I know it's been talked to death here but I want to see what people think now. Does Gretz take Bertuzzi and waste a roster spot should he not be allowed to play?

No doubt about it.

Old
05-14-2004, 09:59 PM
mbam99

Send a message via MSN to mbam99
Quote:

From TSN....
"As for Bertuzzi, he can be named to the roster now and if the NHL doesn't re-instate him in August, Team Canada would be permitted to add a replacement."

Still, NO.

Old
05-14-2004, 10:01 PM
hmminvisiblecola1279
there are kids in it

vCash: 1072
yes and why, just that physical presence, what other countries have a dmen who can counter him. perhaps the u.s. with hatcher or maybe chara but he is a force.

Old
05-14-2004, 10:32 PM
Oi'll say!
Go Flames

No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbam99
From TSN....
"As for Bertuzzi, he can be named to the roster now and if the NHL doesn't re-instate him in August, Team Canada would be permitted to add a replacement."
Thx mbam99, duly noted.

Even with that in mind my guess is that Wayne won't risk bringing any shame to the game at the highest level of international competition by bringing in a player who's embroiled in such a contentious issue. I doubt that Gretz wants to seem like he's taking an anti-Bert stance but there's way more at stake here than the feelings of two people.

Old
05-15-2004, 12:28 AM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:

I would think that Gretzky and company would have approached and talked about this situation with Bettman and the NHLPA and would get a sense if he will be allowed to play.

I think he will be selected since there are 26 roster spots.

Old
05-15-2004, 01:03 AM
Nic

No.

Bertuzzi takes bad penalties, has a temper, and almost killed a player who did not get a chance to defend himself. Bertuzzi is a disgrace as a human being, and SHOULD NOT represent Canada.

Old
05-15-2004, 09:32 AM
Goil

Send a message via ICQ to Goil
I say yes and do you want to know why? Not only is he good, actually great, but Gretz has shown he will put his neck out for a guy. Did anyone think he would take Fleury? Not me!

I guess we'll know for sure in a half hour, but I wouldn't be shocked. Then again, Bettman may call in a favour and ask they they don't pick him for obvious political reasons.

Old
05-15-2004, 10:09 AM
choppystride

Yes!

It'll be fun just to see how he and Sakic & Blake & Foote get along.

Old
05-15-2004, 11:28 AM
Sethis

Yes

Your trying to ice the best team possible, and his skillset is hard for opposing teams to contain. He's extremely talented and creative, with his size and grit combining to make him unstoppable... we've seen it multiple time with Naslund and Bertuzzi vs. The Oilers.

Bertuzzi-Thornton-Heatley
St. Louis-Sakic-Iginla
Smyth-Primeau-Doan
Morrow-Peca-Draper

Blake-Brewer
Jovanovski-Pronger
Niedermayer-Foote

Luongo/Brodeur

Big, Defensive, Talented, Fast, Gritty = Sick

edit: Throw Lemieux in there if he can play.

Old
05-15-2004, 11:53 AM
Walsher

He should have been picked. Yes he screwed up - yes he is one of the most dominating players in the game. You ice the best lineup possible - the one they picked does not meet that criteria.

Old
05-15-2004, 11:53 AM
Oi'll say!
Go Flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by choppystride
Yes!

It'll be fun just to see how he and Sakic & Blake & Foote get along.
IMO Joe Sakic is probably still thought of as the leader of this team because of the way he played at the olympics, so I'd be surprised if he wasn't asked to give his opinion on the matter.

I wonder what his answer would have been? Any guesses?

Old
05-15-2004, 12:04 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walsher
He should have been picked. Yes he screwed up - yes he is one of the most dominating players in the game. You ice the best lineup possible - the one they picked does not meet that criteria.
Neither did the one in 2002, but it still won.

You don't pick 4 lines of scorers and throw them out there.

Bertuzzi wasn't picked because of his uncertain future. If Bertuzzi's suspension is selected and then his suspension is lifted, it looks really bad, and I guarantee you that there will be a huge backlash from the other countries.

On the other hand, if you do pick him and his suspension isn't lifted you are sitting there calling a guy up and saying "listen, you weren't good enough the first time around, but because Bertuzzi can't play, we need a warm body to sit in the stands".

Seems to me the easiest decision is to leave him off and if his suspension gets lifted you have guys like Lemieux and Yzerman who are question marks.

Old
05-15-2004, 12:16 PM
Walsher

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
Neither did the one in 2002, but it still won.

You don't pick 4 lines of scorers and throw them out there.

Bertuzzi wasn't picked because of his uncertain future. If Bertuzzi's suspension is selected and then his suspension is lifted, it looks really bad, and I guarantee you that there will be a huge backlash from the other countries.

On the other hand, if you do pick him and his suspension isn't lifted you are sitting there calling a guy up and saying "listen, you weren't good enough the first time around, but because Bertuzzi can't play, we need a warm body to sit in the stands".

Seems to me the easiest decision is to leave him off and if his suspension gets lifted you have guys like Lemieux and Yzerman who are question marks.
The team in '02 won because of the Swedish meltdown in against Belarus not because they were a good "team". Bertuzzi is an elite player. Even if he is a possibility you take him just as Lemieux is a possibility. Lemieux at this point is less valuable than Bertuzzi so to not take Bert because his future is uncertain and use that as the reason then taking Lemieux who is equally uncertain doesn't mesh with me. But, I guess that incident will tarnish him forever (not really a bad thing IMO just unfortunate for Bert).

Old
05-15-2004, 12:21 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
The team in '02 won because of the Swedish meltdown in against Belarus not because they were a good "team".
Maybe it was a Canadian meltdown against Sweden?? That just goes to show you, it's better to get humiliated in the round robin than in the medal round. They managed to tie a very good Czech team, beat a good Fin team, and beat the best team in the tournament (the Americans).

Quote:
Bertuzzi is an elite player. Even if he is a possibility you take him just as Lemieux is a possibility. Lemieux at this point is less valuable than Bertuzzi so to not take Bert because his future is uncertain and use that as the reason then taking Lemieux who is equally uncertain doesn't mesh with me. But, I guess that incident will tarnish him forever (not really a bad thing IMO just unfortunate for Bert).
Bertuzzi is a possibility because he is suspended, and as of right now he cannot play in the tournament. If you pick him and his suspension is lifted, it looks really bad on the Canadian Management. Heck, maybe they have word from Bettman that there is no way he is playing in this tournament...

Old
05-15-2004, 01:53 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
He's also a complete and total idiot, who could screw up the team, and would be an absoulte embarassment, diving all over the ice.

Good for Wayne not picking him.

Old
05-15-2004, 02:41 PM
Walsher

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
He's also a complete and total idiot, who could screw up the team, and would be an absoulte embarassment, diving all over the ice.

Good for Wayne not picking him.
Ya you would hate to have one of the leagues best players on the team that would suck.

Old
05-15-2004, 03:02 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Ya you would hate to have one of the leagues best players on the team that would suck.
If he would disrupt chemistry then yes!

Old
05-15-2004, 04:30 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
There are plenty of guys I'd take ahead of him.

Old
05-15-2004, 04:57 PM
windowlicker

Quote:
Im sure Sakic, Foote & Blake would loove to share a dressing room with Bert. Not much disruption there.

Old
05-15-2004, 09:19 PM
kraigus

Send a message via ICQ to kraigus Send a message via MSN to kraigus
Quote:
Originally Posted by windowlicker
Im sure Sakic, Foote & Blake would loove to share a dressing room with Bert. Not much disruption there.
And I'm sure they'd get over it, but... why even risk it?

Like others (here and elsewhere) have said, there's enough good players that Canada could probably ice two gold-medal contending teams. Gretzky & co did a good job at Salt Lake - better than Bobby Clarke did at Nagano, anyway - so they get the benefit of the doubt.

Even if they don't win, it's not likely that it'll be because of any individual player selection (or non-selection) - it'll be because the other teams were just that much better. There's not a whole lot to choose from, the Yanks and Czechs are going to have very strong teams too, as are the Swedes.

Kind of interesting to see Maltby instead of Rob Niedermayer though - I thought Nieds did well enough at the Worlds to deserve consideration.

Ah well, it's not a good international tournament without some controversy surrounding the Canadian team.

Old
05-16-2004, 09:04 PM
oilers_guy_eddie
Craig's not on it.

I'm not sorry to see that butthole left off the team. I just don't want to see Todd Bertuzzi representing this country.

He should go earn some respect before he gets invited to wear this country's colors.

Closed Thread