HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Anyone find it kinda scary...

Old
04-22-2008, 10:35 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

vCash: 500
Anyone find it kinda scary...

Remember that post a while back about the "psychic's" prediction of how the finals would go?

Montreal would beat Boston in 7, face Philly and win in 6, face Pittsburgh and win in 7, and then lose to San Jose in 7 games.

We did beat Boston in 7, we're facing Philly next and San Jose looks like they will advance.

Freaky no?

waffledave
waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2008, 10:36 PM
mitchmagic

Send a message via MSN to mitchmagic
world's going to end in 2012!!!!!!!!!

mitchmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
rudethedude66

if it happens this way with Philly...YES...but until then....NO

rudethedude66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Lone Rogue

I'll start believing the psychic once the Stanley Cup Finals are set

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2008, 10:39 PM
Habitant#1

When you consider the 47 other psychics who were wrong, it's much less impressive.

I mean, get enough monkeys in a room and they'll type up shakespeare eventually!

Habitant#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2008, 10:39 PM
Seb
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Seb
Hockey Gods won't let us lose in the SCF

Seb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2008, 10:41 PM
peicurler91

forgot though we won't lose to the sharks

peicurler91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2008, 10:48 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Nope, if Montreal beats philly in 6 and then the pens in 7, then I will be.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2008, 10:49 PM
Habsfan18
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
Remember that post a while back about the "psychic's" prediction of how the finals would go?

Montreal would beat Boston in 7, face Philly and win in 6, face Pittsburgh and win in 7, and then lose to San Jose in 7 games.

We did beat Boston in 7, we're facing Philly next and San Jose looks like they will advance.

Freaky no?
it is pretty freaky.

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2008, 10:57 PM
kernkraft

How about this: http://www.tsn.ca/xbox/story/?id=233889

EA's NHL 08 Simulation is almost 100% accurate so far. Only the length of the series is off in some instances.

Quote:
(1) Montreal vs. (8) Boston
Boston had not beaten Montreal yet this season until the first two games of this series, and it started to look like rookie goalie Carey Price was not going to be the star the Canadians needed him to be. After a stunning performance in games three and four, Price seemed to have turned the corner, allowing only 1 goal on 60 shots over the two games. The Canadians spread the offense around with multiple goals coming from Alex Kovalev and Michael Ryder throughout the rest of the series as Montreal was able to hold on and finish off the Bruins in seven.
Montreal wins series 4-3

(2) Pittsburgh vs. (7) Ottawa
The Senators skate into this match up a shadow of the team they started the season with. With their captain Daniel Alfredsson out with an injury, the Senators didn't put up much of a fight against the hungry Penguins. Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin and Marion Hossa continuously lit up the scoreboard throughout the series including a 7-2 rout in game 3. Jordan Staal also found the scoreboard potting 3 in the series against Ottawa. Marc-Andre Fleury was solid when he needed to be but wasn't challenged significantly at any point in the series losing only one game in the series.
Pittsburgh wins series 4-1

(3) Washington vs. (6) Philadelphia
The Capitals arrive at this series after tenaciously clawing their way into the playoffs, led by Alexander Ovechkin - winner of the scoring race. The Flyers chances of winning this series lay in their ability to stop Ovechkin and Niklas Backstrom a tough job in one night, flirting with the impossible when you have to do it for an entire series. The Flyers toughness won out following a break out performance by Daniel Briere and Valclav Prospal in combination with tight checking from Mike Richards that stopped the unstoppable Ovechkin. The Flyers come back from a 3-2 deficit to take the series in 7.
Philly wins series 4-3

(4) New Jersey vs. (5) New York Rangers
The veteran power of the Rangers was a bit too much for the Devils to handle in this first round battle of the goalies. Henrik Lundqvist and Martin Brodeur both brought their A-game in this low scoring series. After trading back to back victories on their home rinks it was a break out performance by ex-Devil Scott Gomez that beat his former netminder. Gomez had two goals in each of New York's wins in games 5 and 7.
New York wins series 4-3

WESTERN CONFERENCE Quarterfinals
(1) Detroit vs. (8) Nashville
Despite all efforts from the Predators they just couldn't get the puck past Dominic Hasek enough times to have a chance in this series. Hasek posted two shutouts and gave up only 1 goal in each of the other games. Combined with two, 2-goal games from Henrik Zetterberg and this series was over in a flash.
Detroit wins series 4-1

(2) San Jose vs. (7) Calgary
The red hot Sharks were pushed to the brink of elimination from a Flames team that wasn't going to go down easy. The Flames jumped to an early series lead taking the first two games in San Jose and kept Joe Thornton relatively quiet. That shook up Thornton who went on to score 5 goals in the next three games. With strong play from Patrick Marleau and great goaltending from Evgeni Nabokov in game 7, the Sharks manage to stave off early elimination.
San Jose wins series 4-3

(3) Minnesota vs. (6) Colorado
Jose Theodore closed the door on all of Minnsota's shooters including the usually reliable Marion Gaborik. With Colorado generating offense from its key forwards Peter Forsberg, Paul Statsny and Milan Hejduk this series was never really within reach for the Wild.
Colorado wins series 4-0

(4) Anaheim vs. (5) Dallas
The defending Stanley Cup champions proved to be no match for Mike Ribeiro and the Dallas Stars winning only the opening game before losing the next four in the series. Brad Richards leadership and experience quickly lead the Stars past the floundering Ducks.
Dallas wins series 4-1
and its simulation for round 2:
Quote:
(1) Montreal vs. (6) Philadelphia
Coming off a very close round one match up, Montreal looked to wrap this series up quickly with two decisive victories on their home ice. Philly looked to be exhausted after a tough matchup with the Capitals and were quickly down 3 -1. They were able to squeeze one more victory over a seemingly unshakable Carey Price before losing the final contest in game 6.
Montreal wins series 4 -2
Interesting, but the relation to reality is slim.

BTW, there is no such thing as psychic abilities. Nothing but chance.

kernkraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2008, 10:59 PM
Guillemin

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernkraft View Post

EA's NHL 08 Simulation is almost 100% accurate so far. Only the length of the series is off in some instances.
EA Sports controls more than just our consoles, but our very minds.

Guillemin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2008, 11:07 PM
LyleOdelein

That EA simulation is crazily accurate at this point. Although it's a fluke, it's pretty cool.

LyleOdelein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2008, 11:08 PM
Artyukhin*

Quote:

and its simulation for round 2:

Interesting, but the relation to reality is slim.

i agree.

and this also as they predict the rest of the playoffs .

http://www.ea.com/article.jsp?id=nhlsim04808

EA Sports NHL Playoff Simulation Predicts Sharks Defeat Canadiens in 2008 Stanley Cup Finals
San Jose overcomes Montreal in a simulated NHL 08 playoff.

April 8, 2008 - EA Sports NHL 08 has predicted that the San Jose Sharks, led by Conn Smythe Trophy Winner Joe Thornton, will come away winners of the 2008 Stanley Cup Final defeating the Montreal Canadiens in seven games. The simulation also offers complete fantasy results for each of the matchups for each playoff round.

The 2008 Stanley Cup Playoffs started off with four of the eight match ups going to a deciding seventh game. First round blowouts had Pittsburgh walking over the listless Sens in five games, and Jose Theodore putting up a wall against the Wild to knock off Minnesota in four games.

In the second round, the Penguins blew out the Rangers, while Carey Price's strong play helped the Montreal slide past Philadelphia in the East. In the West, Detroit solved Theodore to edge out Colorado in seven, while the Sharks beat the Stars in six.

The Eastern Conference Finals proved to be one of the most exciting series of the 2008 playoffs as Saku Koivu's return helped Montreal edge out Pittsburgh, making Crosby wait another year for his chance at the Cup. It was a different story in the West where San Jose cruised past Detroit, who won the Presidents' Trophy in the regular season, but couldn't go the distance in the playoffs.

San Jose played spoiler to the Montreal Canadiens storybook ending, with Thornton leading the charge. Montreal staved off a San Jose victory in games 5 and 6 with a good offensive effort from Alex Kovalev, who led the NHL with 24 points throughout of the playoffs. The Sharks came out strong in game 7 with an early 3 goal lead and never looked back to win their first ever Stanley Cup.

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2008, 11:45 PM
Kingbobert
HFBoards Sponsor

actually it does have me a bit freaked out.
Not really for the predictions as much as the fact that i thought of believing it

since i read it, and we lost game 6 i was calm cause i was like "eh they predicted us in 7"

and watching the game tonight i was like ok philly is going to win so is SJ...

I really hope this is not true though
I dont think i can survive if this team goes to game 7 in the SCF just to lose

Kingbobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2008, 11:47 PM
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab

vCash: 1549
Yeah thats why I was really hoping Calgary would win the series because then we wouldnt have to lose in the 7th game of the Stanley Cup series.

The Gal Pals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2008, 11:57 PM
anarmandaleb

Can someone ask that psychic if I have a chance with Carey Price?

In all seriousness, it's kinda spooky.

anarmandaleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2008, 11:58 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Other than the fact Ryder didn't do anything.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 12:09 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
I'm not sure I could handle losing in game 7 of the SCF. Seriously.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 12:14 AM
Joey

Send a message via MSN to Joey
watching the Caps-Flyers game tonight I had a very adamant feeling Philly would win just because I know we gotta beat em in 6

Quote:

i used to think so to until I met my friend`s mom who practices her ``abilities`` in private somewhat.... the first time i ever met her i was 12, i spilled milk in the kitchen and i was a little **** so i didn`t clean it up properly...i walk outside and she pulls up in her car, gets out, and says `don`t worry about the milk, just dont do that again!`

some freaky stuff has happened in that house

Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 12:20 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Another Canadian team biting the dust in the finals?

I wonder if we can alter a prediction if we can act on it? Hitler had all these mediums following him around and he was a believer of that field. And he and a few SS surrounding him were reading Nostradamus and there were laughing and tiring up pages of the book when it mentioned of an evil man "an anti-Christ". And it says "I see the evil man laughing and tiring up pages from a poem". Now that's eerie. That would mean that you cannot change what has already been predicted.

And that would mean putting things in Thornton's and Marleau's food wouldn't work..?

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 01:20 AM
kernkraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Other than the fact Ryder didn't do anything.
I'm omitting the textual descriptions in my analysis. It's still interesting that the simulation picked all the right teams and had a 50% success rate in determining the series length (although this is much easier I would think due to a great percentage of series lasting 6 or 7 games).

BTW no "experts" from RDS or TSN were able to predict 100% in the first round.

kernkraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 03:00 AM
Montrealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habitant#1 View Post
When you consider the 47 other psychics who were wrong, it's much less impressive.

I mean, get one monkey spinning a wheel and they'll outpredict the TSN crew!
Fixed your post.

Montrealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 07:52 AM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post

Freaky no?
I heard the last prediction was wrong though...it is Montreal wins in 7!

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 07:55 AM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

vCash: 1000
How come all of those 'psychics' are still not all millionaires...? I mean cant they find the next 6/49 lotto number?

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 07:57 AM
David_99

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchmagic View Post
world's going to end in 2012!!!!!!!!!
Mitch posted something without leaving "Mitch" as his signature!!! The world IS coming to an end!!!!

David_99 is offline   Reply With Quote