HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sergei Kostitsyn amazing playoff debut !!

Old
04-23-2008, 10:55 AM
Joe Cole

vCash: 500
He has earned his ice time much more then Ryder. His output so far has been good. If he can continue at this pace, great stuff, success.

But.... in the off season, he needs to add at least 15lbs of muscle. All of his penaties are caused by him using a stick or retaliating for a hit. This is 100% because he is not physically strong enough to beat a NHL'r one on one.

If he can do this... then his second season will be even better then the first.

All the fan boys who think he is the best player in the ice are blinded by their boy-love.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 11:56 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole View Post
He has earned his ice time much more then Ryder. His output so far has been good. If he can continue at this pace, great stuff, success.

But.... in the off season, he needs to add at least 15lbs of muscle. All of his penaties are caused by him using a stick or retaliating for a hit. This is 100% because he is not physically strong enough to beat a NHL'r one on one.

All the fan boys who think he is the best player in the ice are blinded by their boy-love.
I think that if he adds enough beef to be able to make a strong move to the net, we could have quite a player. He gets lost in the trees at times, and just needs a bit more pwoere cutting to the net.

Vision and hands make up for some flaws don't they ? When Boston was flying thru the neutral zone on Saturday, I thought he was particularly guilt in not being where he was supposed to be. I was wondering if the playoffs and everything around them had gotten to be a bit much for the kid.

A team can get the puck deep and work you hard for a few shifts then one good pass, and quick release and the game changes. I thought on Monday, during the 1st period that the 2 brothers and Pleks were over matched. Thankfully the Koivu line calmed things down a bit. Then the kids got their legs and we could exhale a bit.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 12:36 PM
jcpenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
I think that if he adds enough beef to be able to make a strong move to the net, we could have quite a player. He gets lost in the trees at times, and just needs a bit more pwoere cutting to the net.

Vision and hands make up for some flaws don't they ? When Boston was flying thru the neutral zone on Saturday, I thought he was particularly guilt in not being where he was supposed to be. I was wondering if the playoffs and everything around them had gotten to be a bit much for the kid.

A team can get the puck deep and work you hard for a few shifts then one good pass, and quick release and the game changes. I thought on Monday, during the 1st period that the 2 brothers and Pleks were over matched. Thankfully the Koivu line calmed things down a bit. Then the kids got their legs and we could exhale a bit.
I wouldnt say that. They were very nervous thats for sure and it showed. They also had to get use to play with Pleks and one period was enough.

jcpenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 12:51 PM
Joe Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpenny View Post
I wouldnt say that. They were very nervous thats for sure and it showed. They also had to get use to play with Pleks and one period was enough.
I agree with Mcphee, they looked bad early on. All of Sergei's penalties in that game were because he was physically over matched and intimidated. I am not blaming him, I just think it is the area he needs to work on.

And yes, you canont invent/teach talent. Add some beef to him, and we have a real keeper. This is a good thing!

That said.... the worst line on the ice in the 1st period was without question, the Lapierre line. They were simply bad. They turned it around, for sure, but early on, if the Habs would have gone a goal or two down, it would have been their fault.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 01:06 PM
mcphee

Quote:
I agree with Mcphee, they looked bad early on. All of Sergei's penalties in that game were because he was physically over matched and intimidated. I am not blaming him, I just think it is the area he needs to work on.

And yes, you canont invent/teach talent. Add some beef to him, and we have a real keeper. This is a good thing!

That said.... the worst line on the ice in the 1st period was without question, the Lapierre line. They were simply bad. They turned it around, for sure, but early on, if the Habs would have gone a goal or two down, it would have been their fault.
I was saying the sam ething to the guy beside me at the Bar. Lapierre's line was in constant trouble early, to the point where I thought they'd have to go to 3 lines soon. Then Lapierre makes his play to Streit..... I've always criticized Lapierre because he couldn't make those plays with the puck. Shows what I know.

Old
04-23-2008, 01:08 PM
Guillemin

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesCanadiens View Post
Considering he's a 20yr old rook....OK.

Ignoring that he's a 20yr old rook....I think he's looked downright awful most shifts. Lots of errant passes, stupid penalties and getting owned physically.

JMHO.
Yes, unfortunately.

His stats were inflated with the lopsided last game, and most of those PIMs weren't defensive plays.

Guillemin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 01:11 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guillemin View Post
Yes, unfortunately.

His stats were inflated with the lopsided last game, and most of those PIMs weren't defensive plays.
Well he had a huge goal in game 2.Also made the nicest pass to Higgins in game 6.The kid has game and only being 20 is really great for us

Quickly becoming my favorite player..

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 01:41 PM
guest1467

Quote:

He is already is 200 pounds and 5'11. That's asking ALOT of pounds for his hieght, because he is already at 200. Any more and I think it would start to affect his speed.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 01:43 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
He is already is 200 pounds and 5'11. That's asking ALOT of pounds for his hieght, because he is already at 200. Any more and I think it would start to affect his speed.
I don't believe he's near 200 lbs. I don't think he needs necessarily to gain weight, but I think he needs a stronger step.

Old
04-23-2008, 01:51 PM
jcpenny

Quote:
I don't believe he's near 200 lbs. I don't think he needs necessarily to gain weight, but I think he needs a stronger step.
Anyone who is 5"11 200lbs must be a beast and S.Kosts sure doesnt look close to be that big. Its possible that he has pretty strong legs but his upper body is too tiny for me. He needs to go to the " Rod the Bod" school of trainning.

jcpenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 01:57 PM
shortcat1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megaforce
He's only here cuz Chipchura's injured.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan View Post
What? i think you need to go over your notes on that comment

He's just being a grinch.

shortcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 02:01 PM
marchabsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpenny View Post
Anyone who is 5"11 200lbs must be a beast and S.Kosts sure doesnt look close to be that big. Its possible that he has pretty strong legs but his upper body is too tiny for me. He needs to go to the " Rod the Bod" school of trainning.
of course the official nhl records lets players write themselves what their weight is... he IS near 200

marchabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 02:03 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by marchabsfan View Post
of course the official nhl records lets players write themselves what their weight is... he IS near 200
I think it's always been pretty common knowledge that size stats are pretty inaccurate, or can be.

Old
04-23-2008, 02:11 PM
TheCH*

He is listed at 196 pounds and has said in an interview that he is 196 pounds. Don't know why he would lie. Anyways, he could definitely stand to be stronger but he doesn't really need to gain weight.

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 02:59 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
I think it's always been pretty common knowledge that size stats are pretty inaccurate, or can be.
He's not puny, I saw him more than once and he has a nice built. On nhlpa he's listed at 183.
I don't think he should pack 15lbs though.

Koivu is listed at 5'10 - 182lbs, Kostitsyn 5'11 183lbs. Never heard anybody say Koivu has to put on some weight.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 03:02 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:

*** are you talking about??? at least 15 pounds???? no way

ChemiseBleuHonnete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 03:06 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
He's not puny, I saw him more than once and he has a nice built. On nhlpa he's listed at 183.
I don't think he should pack 15lbs though.

Koivu is listed at 5'10 - 182lbs, Kostitsyn 5'11 183lbs. Never heard anybody say Koivu has to put on some weight.
All the weight talk is fluff. The point I believe Joe was making is that if the kid wants to get to a level that we're hoping he can, there are some things he needs to add to his game.

Koivu always had an explosive step around the edge. He doesn't have it like he used to and he tends to have to be craftier than he used to, but he'd always take a strong hard step towards the net, S.Kost. should learn this and add it to his game, it'll open up space and allow him to use his talents.

Whether it's weight mass, strength, will, I don't care, it's just opinion as to some things, as a young player, he can improve on.

Old
04-23-2008, 03:13 PM
JMMR

Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
I saw Sergei in Buffalo before the game when the Habs came back to win in OT Higgins winner.
Anyways he and his brother both look small in terms of upper body but they have tree trunk legs.

JMMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 03:17 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Great.. the female TheDamned with a crush on Sergei.

Erika: SERGEI WAS MONSTER TONIGHT.
TheDamned: KOVALEV WAS A MONSTER TONIGHT.
Now all we need is for you to develop a crush on Carbo, and the world will come to an end.

- Ken Dryden
Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 03:39 PM
Guy Caballero

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchise player View Post
*** are you talking about??? at least 15 pounds???? no way
Why not? Fifteen pounds of lean muscle mass is a reasonable gain for someone entering his early 20s. In fact, his ability to put on muscle isn't even at its peak yet. That won't come till his mid 20s.

Guy Caballero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 03:56 PM
David_99

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMMR View Post
I saw Sergei in Buffalo before the game when the Habs came back to win in OT Higgins winner.
Anyways he and his brother both look small in terms of upper body but they have tree trunk legs.
What were they doing walking around with their pants off?

David_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 04:01 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Caballero View Post
Why not? Fifteen pounds of lean muscle mass is a reasonable gain for someone entering his early 20s. In fact, his ability to put on muscle isn't even at its peak yet. That won't come till his mid 20s.
thanks, but I do know a lot about this subject already.

ChemiseBleuHonnete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 04:01 PM
Form and Substance

I doubt he's 200 lbs, He's pretty strong for a 20 year old rookie but he looks pretty thin.

Form and Substance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 04:25 PM
Erika

Who cares about his physical and weight issues ?!

The kid is already 196lbs at 6'0, so this is more than enough. Adding more weights to his frame will affect his agility and speed, so I don't want that to happen.

And YES, HE IS 196lbs !! He confirmed it to Ron Fournier in his Interview.

Patrick kane is barely 180lbs, why nobody is mentionning that he's weak or something ?! Koivu is barely 187lbs, Comrie is 185lbs, Briere is 182lbs, Derek Roy is 180lbs, Ribeiro is 185lbs, Cammalleri is 183lbs and I can continue for hours and hours with such examples.

The weight thing is overrated !!

All he need is maturity and experience !! Don't listen to theses whiners Sergei, just play you're game cutie.

Erika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 04:35 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erika Kostitsyn View Post
Who cares about his physical and weight issues ?!

The kid is already 196lbs at 6'0, so this is more than enough. Adding more weights to his frame will affect his agility and speed, so I don't want that to happen.

And YES, HE IS 196lbs !! He confirmed it to Ron Fournier in his Interview.

Patrick kane is barely 180lbs, why nobody is mentionning that he's weak or something ?! Koivu is barely 187lbs, Comrie is 185lbs, Briere is 182lbs, Derek Roy is 180lbs, Ribeiro is 185lbs, Cammalleri is 183lbs and I can continue for hours and hours with such examples.

The weight thing is overrated !!

All he need is maturity and experience !! Don't listen to theses whiners Sergei, just play you're game cutie.

It's not weight, it's having the power in his stride to make hard cuts towards the net. I like the kid but I think it's an element that his game lacks at the moment. He did get his 2 goals on rebounds, he's willing to go to the net, it's just something he needs to add to continue developing. If he doesn't he'll still be productive, but I like to look at what a guy may develop into.