HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

An EARLY look at the 08-09 roster

Old
03-10-2008, 02:27 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

vCash: 500
An EARLY look at the 08-09 roster

Dumont - Arnott - Radulov ... no brainer here, our most consistent offensively threatening line all year long

Erat - Legwand - Hornqvist ... I honestly believe Sullivan is done as a Nashville Predator

3rd line is where it gets tricky ... do we rebuild it from UFA signings or do we build it from Milwaukee ... or do we try to bring back the same old show from this year's squad?
Gelinas - Fiddler - Tootoo ?

4th line
Hordichuk - Nichol - Smithson? ... or do we upgrade someone on this line ?

D-Pairings
Suter - Weber
Hamhuis - Zidlicky
Devries - Zanon
Sulzer

Goalies
This position must be revamped ... Mason isn't cutting it, imo ... Ellis clearly has the better agility of the two goalies on the roster right now

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2008, 02:37 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Gelinas and Ellis are UFA, and this is assuming too much....no healthy Sullivan, no UFA signings, etc. This is a fun idea, but it's too early, I think.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2008, 02:42 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids View Post
Gelinas and Ellis are UFA, and this is assuming too much....no healthy Sullivan, no UFA signings, etc. This is a fun idea, but it's too early, I think.
I think this thread can serve as a blow off some steam type of thread down the stretch because I can just feel the anger/angst brewing right now ... IF we come out the way we did against the Wings tomorrow night ... this thread should be pinned

Old
03-10-2008, 05:18 PM
darth5
Rowsdower!

Dumont - Arnott - Radulov ... agreed

Erat - Legwand - ? ... Is Hornquist really ready for prime time on the second line? If not, we have to have a real threat to plug in here. Our second line has been inconsistent this year and we MUST have 3 quality threat lines to get anywhere in the post season.

Gelinas - O'Reilly(?) - Tootoo Gelinas is highly regarded as a leader and influence for the young guys and I think could serve one more year here. Fiddler has the benefit of Trotz's man-crush but let's face it, this team need to do better.

4th line
Hordichuk - Nichol - Smithson? .Here I don't know, what is the contract status on these guys?

D-Pairings
Suter - Weber
Hamhuis - Zidlicky
Devries/Klein - Zanon - Is DeVries on a 2 yr deal? If not, could Klein step in
Sulzer - ?

Goalies
Ellis/Rinne - as I said in another thread, big questions here. Could Ellis serve as a number one? Could he stand up to the psychological stress?

darth5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2008, 05:53 PM
trotzian brow

I thought Bonk signed for two years?

trotzian brow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2008, 06:21 PM
lugnut76

I thought about making an eblaborate post here but the all the fun was taken out when I realized I could probably just copy and paste the roster from the website and call it good. I know Freeman has stated the payroll will be higher next year, and it will be given all the RFAs we will be resigning; and Trotz is too loyal to the Fiddler's of the world to make any changes to the third and fourth lines. As you can tell, I think next years roster will look very much like this years.

lugnut76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2008, 09:42 PM
vipera1960

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Trotz View Post
Dumont - Arnott - Radulov ... no brainer here, our most consistent offensively threatening line all year long

Erat - Legwand - Hornqvist ... I honestly believe Sullivan is done as a Nashville Predator

3rd line is where it gets tricky ... do we rebuild it from UFA signings or do we build it from Milwaukee ... or do we try to bring back the same old show from this year's squad?
Gelinas - Fiddler - Tootoo ?

4th line
Hordichuk - Nichol - Smithson? ... or do we upgrade someone on this line ?

D-Pairings
Suter - Weber
Hamhuis - Zidlicky
Devries - Zanon
Sulzer

Goalies
This position must be revamped ... Mason isn't cutting it, imo ... Ellis clearly has the better agility of the two goalies on the roster right now
You've got a few players that seem to have just disappeared. Bonk, Klein, and Koistinen all either have years remaining or are RFAs. Although some of these guys may be gone, I find it hard to believe that Poile would just move them all for draft picks. Gelinas is on a one year deal. Given that his production is starting to drop off of the map (40+ pts in each of the two previous seasons, only 20 this year) and his real purpose on the team was to get the payroll up to the cap floor without actually paying very much, I don't think he will be back next year.

Unless Poile finds someone to take Mason off of our hands (and really it would have to be fair value because I don't think he wants to go into another season with the backup as the starter), Ellis will be gone. Rinne has a 750k one way contract next year. There's no way that Poile, give our financial situation, would pay him that much to play in Milwaukee. Besides, the competition in camp this year was pretty much dead even. I still think the reason Ellis won (even though management denies it) is that Rinne could be sent to the AHL at a reduced salary without having to clear waivers.

Last edited by vipera1960: 03-10-2008 at 09:46 PM. Reason: Forgot goalies
vipera1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2008, 01:27 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

please sticky por favor

*bump*

Old
04-21-2008, 01:36 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Now that the season is officially over, yet again *sigh*

What kind of team do you expect next season ... I like the fact that Poile is actually considering bringing over a swedish monster (Videll - I think he would/could create great space for Legwand & Hornqvist)

Old
04-22-2008, 05:19 PM
jstreet

vCash: 1500
can someone post what is left on our current player's contracts?

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2008, 05:32 PM
SpItFiReZ

What about Koistanen and O'Reilly

SpItFiReZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2008, 06:01 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnlikestars View Post
can someone post what is left on our current player's contracts?
maybe someone with a little more ambition can type it out, but i'll post a link! http://www.nhlnumbers.com/overview.php?team=NAS

We have approximately 33 million tied up next year. Weber, Suter, and Erat will probably get a total of 9-10 million for 43 million. Hopefully add Ellis for 45 million. Plus minor signings will total 48 million.

The money goes fast when you write it all down!

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2008, 08:33 PM
nine_inch_fang

Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
If we add players we have to subtract somewhere also.

48 million sounds like fuzzy math to me.

nine_inch_fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2008, 09:43 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by nine_inch_fang View Post
If we add players we have to subtract somewhere also.

48 million sounds like fuzzy math to me.
well yeah I wasn't trying to be exact here. in that math i'm assuming we make no trades which is unlikely. but contrary to what most people think, we don't have alot of money to spend

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 12:09 AM
predfan24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predanerd View Post
well yeah I wasn't trying to be exact here. in that math i'm assuming we make no trades which is unlikely. but contrary to what most people think, we don't have alot of money to spend

As much as I hate to admt it I think ou are on to something here. It seems we are commited to signing our core players and that is great. Ownership is showing a commitment but does anybody think the "core" players we are signing are really gonna lead us to be an elite team. If we spend a little above the cap every year and wemake sure to sign our own players first (which is how it should be) we probaly won't have enough money left to go get somebody that would make a differnce and I think we all agree we could use a gamebreaker or two. On the other hand do we just do like alot of teams do and be patient and wait for prospects to pan out or sign Euros that are ready to compete now? I don't know I just don't want to spend all our money on a team that will always be good but never good enough. I just feel like that is the direction we are going in. But then again what other option does Poile have. I'm very interested in this summer mabye more so than any other off season in franchise history.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 08:57 AM
In The Flesh

No Peverly or Orts??

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 10:50 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

My dream scenario:

Trade up for Stamkos.....2 first round picks, a plethora of defensive prospects and talent (Suter, Klein, Zidlicky, Blum, Franson, etc., etc.)....we could get this done

Or

Trade Zidlicky and Mason to clear room for the chance to sign Marian Hossa. We need a finisher. This would be a blockbuster and an upgrade for our franchise.

04-23-2008, 11:08 AM
flannelman
trite pretentiousnes

vCash: 50
Sullivan?
Would love to see him back... ok, that was pretty bad, but i really would, when healthy he's great

Ellis, I assume will start, Mason as the Back Up. Perhaps a bit more size in the top 3 lines would be good?

Hossa? I think everyone wants him, but you guys could take his contract on no problem, I believe.

flannelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 02:40 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by flannelman View Post
Sullivan?
Would love to see him back... ok, that was pretty bad, but i really would, when healthy he's great

Ellis, I assume will start, Mason as the Back Up. Perhaps a bit more size in the top 3 lines would be good?

Hossa? I think everyone wants him, but you guys could take his contract on no problem, I believe.
We sign him, then we'd have to get rid of Weber/Suter/Zidlicky and go with Klein, Koistinen, DeVries, Zanon, Hamhuis, Franson & Sulzer ... and to tell you the truth, I don't want that to happen

Old
04-23-2008, 04:15 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
We sign him, then we'd have to get rid of Weber/Suter/Zidlicky and go with Klein, Koistinen, DeVries, Zanon, Hamhuis, Franson & Sulzer ... and to tell you the truth, I don't want that to happen
Why would we have to get rid of Weber, Suter, and Zidlicky? You dump Mason and Zidlicky, freeing up 6.75 million in cap space, and simply spend an additional 1.5-2 million dollars. Yeah, I am making the situation out to be a bit more simple than it is, but lets not get ahead of ourselves and say that we would have to get rid of 50% of our blueline to acquire 1 person.

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 04:48 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
Why would we have to get rid of Weber, Suter, and Zidlicky? You dump Mason and Zidlicky, freeing up 6.75 million in cap space, and simply spend an additional 1.5-2 million dollars. Yeah, I am making the situation out to be a bit more simple than it is, but lets not get ahead of ourselves and say that we would have to get rid of 50% of our blueline to acquire 1 person.
okay ... 1) who's going to take Mason ? ... 2) Who's going to take Zidlicky ? ... and 3) what would we also have to give up to get rid of these players (in terms of draft picks) ? ... 4) What crappy contract would we have to take back to get rid of these players ?

Old
04-23-2008, 05:28 PM
sensfan31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
I think you're forgetting that Nasville only spends to the botttom of the cap floor. which means an 8 million dollor Hossa is out of the question.

Ellis to Ottawa, Trade ya Weber for Mezaros

sensfan31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 05:32 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensfan31 View Post
I think you're forgetting that Nasville only spends to the botttom of the cap floor. which means an 8 million dollor Hossa is out of the question.

Ellis to Ottawa, Trade ya Weber for Mezaros
uuuhhh ... no way in hell that that happens

Old
04-23-2008, 05:40 PM
sensfan31

Quote:
uuuhhh ... no way in hell that that happens
well word is in Ottawa our Gm has targeted Ellis as a ufa and Weber may get an RFA offer sheet from the Sens.

I guess it will be up to your owner to spend more than the minimum in order to keep them.

sensfan31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 05:57 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
okay ... 1) who's going to take Mason ? ... 2) Who's going to take Zidlicky ? ... and 3) what would we also have to give up to get rid of these players (in terms of draft picks) ? ... 4) What crappy contract would we have to take back to get rid of these players ?
Someone will take Zidlicky.

Mason... probably not. Someone may take him if we put him on re-entry waviers, maybe. If not, we'll have to look at buyout. Unless of course, Poile lets Ellis walk.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote