HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Winner of the serie determines if Briere was right?

View Poll Results: Winner of the serie determines if Briere was right for signing with the flyers?
Yes 34 21.52%
No 28 17.72%
whatever results, he was right 22 13.92%
whatever results, he was wrong 74 46.84%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-23-2008, 07:19 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwishihadacup View Post
we should try to determine this serie if the Price is right or not IMO
I hope you are talking bout Briere's price tag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLR View Post
Your missing the point. Nobody is arguing with you on those.

He said 1 week after the signing that he selected philly because they were a better team, thats what fans have against him.

On privacy, tax issues, no problems. We know. It's about the ignorant evaluation.
Well said, educate the outsiders SOLR

Team_Spirit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 07:36 PM
Transported Upstater

vCash: 500
Quote:
Your missing the point. Nobody is arguing with you on those.

He said 1 week after the signing that he selected philly because they were a better team, thats what fans have against him.

On privacy, tax issues, no problems. We know. It's about the ignorant evaluation.
What makes you think he told the whole story?

If anything, I give credit to Briere for giving a reason that DOESN'T dump on the fanbase or the media. It was a classy move on his part to say that he felt the Flyers had a better opportunity, and that's why he chose them. At least, that's how I interpret it. I give Briere a lot of credit, I don't really remember him taking shots at the fans/media in Montreal upon signing with the Flyers, and he very easily could have.

He may be wrong about the Flyers having a brighter future, he may be right. It's not a big deal.

Transported Upstater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 07:58 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

No it doesn't. They win this series, and we go further for the next 10 years, wouldn't that means he was wrong then? He didn't say, I choose Philly 'cause I believe we have a better chance to go further THIS YEAR. If it's the reason and I say a big IF 'cause I don't believe it's the reason, he said that he preferred the core for years to come, 'cause he did sign a long contract....

So he prefers Richards, Carter and all the rest to our kids, so be it. Thing is.....they almost traded Carter, and he has no clue of the kids from the farm teams and all the intangibles.

So if he wins this time around, it means nothing. We'll have to wait an d see on the long run.

But why should we care about the reasons? Whatever he decided, he's right 'cause that's the place he chose to go. Do we really know the reasons? We all know that some are afraid of the pressure. Did we ever hear a guy that decided not to come here and immediately said after that he didn't come 'cause he's afraid of the medias and of the public? But we all know it's part of it in most cases. So I don't pay a lot of attention to what they say. I know that any players should consider being apart of a winning team, and for that reason if we win, and are more succesful in the end on the long run, we will attract more players and then we will all know that he might regret it. Until then, he chose to go elswhere, so be it.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 08:00 PM
decadentia

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiascov View Post
Whatever results Briere was right... he sucks and went to a sucky team... we didn't and don't and won't need him
There's some seriously childish posts being directed towards Briere. He's just a player, girlish yes, he signed with a different team and now we're playing in the playoffs. End of story.

I know it's a vocal minority, but please.

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 08:22 PM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transported Upstater View Post
What makes you think he told the whole story?

If anything, I give credit to Briere for giving a reason that DOESN'T dump on the fanbase or the media. It was a classy move on his part to say that he felt the Flyers had a better opportunity, and that's why he chose them. At least, that's how I interpret it. I give Briere a lot of credit, I don't really remember him taking shots at the fans/media in Montreal upon signing with the Flyers, and he very easily could have.

He may be wrong about the Flyers having a brighter future, he may be right. It's not a big deal.
Fans often react negatively to such comments as you know.

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 08:45 PM
Mad Habber

The reason he stated not to play in Montreal, whether true or not. They should be plastered on the wall of the dressing room with players repeating them before they step on the ice.

Mad Habber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 09:02 PM
Transported Upstater

Quote:
So let me get this straight:

All this ire is because a Gatineau native thought the Flyers had a better chance of winning the Cup in a 7 year period than the Habs (which is debatable), and thus decided to sign with them instead?

Seriously? Do you know how ridiculous that sounds?

Briere could have easily taken shots at the fanbase and the media, and if I personally remember correctly, he did not. That is much more important.

Last edited by Transported Upstater: 04-23-2008 at 09:10 PM.
Old
04-23-2008, 09:08 PM
Transported Upstater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Habber View Post
The reason he stated not to play in Montreal, whether true or not. They should be plastered on the wall of the dressing room with players repeating them before they step on the ice.
Why?

I highly doubt that the Habs players and front office give a rat's ass about comments Daniel Briere made a year ago.

It seems that everyone has gotten over it except a minority of fans.

Old
04-23-2008, 09:11 PM
kovalev47

Quote:
Well would you rather have Briere say "I don't want to play in Montreal because of the lunatic fans, the psychotic media, and the high tax rates?"

kovalev47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 09:11 PM
Transported Upstater

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovalev47 View Post
Well would you rather have Briere say "I don't want to play in Montreal because of the lunatic fans, the psychotic media, and the high tax rates?"

EXACTLY my point!

Now, had Briere said THAT...oh boy, you just have to let that hate flow down on him like torrents. THAT IS HATE-WORTHY.

Old
04-23-2008, 09:14 PM
ari1160

would people let it goooo.. this is so last year lol..
it really doesnt matter where he is now. the point is we are in playoffs, and finished first in east.

ari1160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 09:15 PM
Bullsmith

Great poll question and choices! In a way all four are valid. No of course one series won't show how good the signing was for anyone since it's so long. Yes, of course, if the habs win Briere looks like he chose wrong and vice versa if he wins. Yes he was right regardless (which I chose simply because it's done, so it's best because everything else is opinion, but his choice is fact). And finally the most popular, No he was wrong regardless because HOW COULD YOU NOT WANT TO BE PART OF THIS?!

Great poll. Wish I could vote for all four choices.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 09:15 PM
kovalev47

Quote:

EXACTLY my point!

Now, had Briere said THAT...oh boy, you just have to let that hate flow down on him like torrents. THAT IS HATE-WORTHY.
They might have torched a few more cars then

kovalev47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 09:25 PM
SOLR

Quote:

All this ire is because a Gatineau native thought the Flyers had a better chance of winning the Cup in a 7 year period than the Habs (which is debatable), and thus decided to sign with them instead?

Briere could have easily taken shots at the fanbase and the media, and if I personally remember correctly, he did not. That is much more important.
I wasnt implying it made in any kind of sense of course, I think over time it transformed into a general hate for his personality, the comments was just the spark that was needed to vacuum the emotions toward this direction.(Remember the habs missed the playoffs in a dramatic fashion last season)

Old
04-23-2008, 09:40 PM
Transported Upstater

Quote:
I wasnt implying it made in any kind of sense of course, I think over time it transformed into a general hate for his personality, the comments was just the spark that was needed to vacuum the emotions toward this direction.(Remember the habs missed the playoffs in a dramatic fashion last season)
Ah, okay, this makes sense. Sorry for implying I was holding you responsible or something, that's not really what I meant.

Old
04-23-2008, 09:48 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyle_Odelein View Post
Briere wanted to go to a good team. He went to one. Montreal wanted him, but he didn't want the pressure. ...
Handling pressure is part and parcel of being a professional athlete. The fact the Briere shied away from that tells me he will crack under pressure be it on or off the ice.

I'm happy he's in Philly and his so very precious privacy can be sheltered over there and all he has to do is collect the moolah without having to respond to the nation that made him what he is.

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 09:51 PM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:

It's called being bitter and overreacting.

Traits that are commonplace in this fanbase.

The irony is that people acting like a bunch of classless clowns inadvertently reveal another reason why Brière didn't want to sign here: because a ****ing circus surrounds this team due to a bunch of narrow-minded, obsessive and uneducated fans.

Vlad The Impaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 10:00 PM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Ted View Post
Simon is a winger, Koivu and Plekanec are centers, completley out of context.
Gagné was their best player last seasons . period .

Where would be the Habs today , without one of their top player ( Kovalev if you want a winger ) playing for most of the season ?

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 10:01 PM
Habs

I had a dream, a vision, he tears his ACL in game 2.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2008, 01:04 AM
Transported Upstater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Poutine View Post
Handling pressure is part and parcel of being a professional athlete. The fact the Briere shied away from that tells me he will crack under pressure be it on or off the ice.

I'm happy he's in Philly and his so very precious privacy can be sheltered over there and all he has to do is collect the moolah without having to respond to the nation that made him what he is.
You're being very melodramatic.

As for cracking under pressure, he sure has a nice start to the playoffs so far, and he's not really a complete playoff choker...try 48 pts in 47 playoff games so far. Is that choking? By the way, you obviously know nothing about Flyers fans and the city of Philadelphia, since you think there's no pressure there. First of all, Philadelphia's a great hockey market. Second of all, Philly fans are MERCILESS. They will reduce lesser players to shreds. The city's not called "Filthadelphia" in America for no reason. Philly fans are as nasty and brutal as they come.

Precious privacy...the Sergei Kosti-whatever mobbing should tell you all you need to know about what some Montreal fans are capable of, not to mention the constant media barrages, some of which go way, way over the line. Are you going to tell me that every player who likes his own privacy is incapable of handling pressure? That's garbage. Complete and utter garbage.

I will repeat: Daniel Briere has no, and I repeat NO obligation, to play for the Habs at any point in his life. None. Believing otherwise is extremely arrogant, like assuming that everyone wants to play for the Habs (something some of you guys always make fun of us for, and the hypocrisy is amazing by the way), especially Quebecers. Well, real life doesn't work that way.

As for the nation making him what he is, that's also bullcrap. The Quebec minor hockey program and then QMJHL made him into an NHL player, not the nation of Quebec, and his NHL development (which took place OUTSIDE of Quebec, by the way) made him into a star player. Does EVERYONE from those two pre-NHL programs have some sort of obligation to play for the Montreal Canadiens?

Again, how arrogant is that to assume that every Quebecer wants to play for you. My god. I seriously don't want to ever see you making fun of our fans for assuming a player wants to play in Toronto, because you'd be a giant hypocrite displaying a very convenient double standard.

Last edited by Transported Upstater: 04-24-2008 at 01:13 AM.
Old
04-24-2008, 01:12 AM
Teufelsdreck

Whatever made Brie think that the Flyers are a serious contender?

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2008, 01:16 AM
Galchenyuk x 27

vCash: 50
whatever happens he was right for going somewhere else. So happy he didnt sign here

Galchenyuk x 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2008, 01:16 AM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
I'm sure he wanted to say that the Montreal media and fans would slowly eat away at the souls of both he and his family but "Philly had a better chance to win" sounds a bit nicer. The treatment of stand-up guys like Saku makes free agents wary. It sucks but it's true.
According to what I read, Brie demanded to play on a certain line, bumping Koivu off it. I don't know if that rumor was true, but Montréal finished ahead of Philadelphia without him. If the rumor was true, then he's a conceited little fellow.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2008, 06:28 AM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by #ZAMBONI# View Post
Gagné was their best player last seasons . period .

Where would be the Habs today , without one of their top player ( Kovalev if you want a winger ) playing for most of the season ?
On a sidenote, if Gagne is healthy, the Flyers likely don't bother trading for Prospal, who by all accounts is playing as well this playoffs as Gagne would have.

Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2008, 06:39 AM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Papa Joe View Post
On a sidenote, if Gagne is healthy, the Flyers likely don't bother trading for Prospal, who by all accounts is playing as well this playoffs as Gagne would have.
They traded for Prospal for a short term replacement, but saying prospal can play as good as one of the top 5 best LW in the league is quite incorrect.