HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leafs can keep dreaming

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-23-2008, 05:31 PM
  #1
Galchenyuk x 27
Registered User
 
Galchenyuk x 27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,610
vCash: 50
Leafs can keep dreaming

just mentioned on TSN sportscentre

Burke is staying in Anaheim

Galchenyuk x 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 05:34 PM
  #2
Fido22
Registered User
 
Fido22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,690
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee96 View Post
just mentioned on TSN sportscentre

Burke is staying in Anaheim
Did he sign an extension or just say "I am still under contrat. Have not had discussions with other teams. Blah, blah, blah"?

Fido22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 05:35 PM
  #3
Galchenyuk x 27
Registered User
 
Galchenyuk x 27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,610
vCash: 50
he is still under contract and the Ducks said he will honor the rest of his contract and STAY with the ducks

Galchenyuk x 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 05:37 PM
  #4
David_99
Registered User
 
David_99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Moncton, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,636
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee96 View Post
he is still under contract and the Ducks said he will honor the rest of his contract and STAY with the ducks
Which is only one more year. Hopefully the Leafs keep an interum GM for next year in hopes of grabbing Burke the following year, only to fail again, wasting another year to rebuild.

David_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 05:40 PM
  #5
Fido22
Registered User
 
Fido22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,690
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee96 View Post
he is still under contract and the Ducks said he will honor the rest of his contract and STAY with the ducks
Thx!

Anybody get the feeling the Ducks might be "policing" Burke. He had a press conference yesterday to specifically say he has not talked to anybody and that doing so would be an infraction, the next day the Ducks say he will remain under contract for next year. Ducks are making sure the Leafs don't poach.

Fido22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 05:42 PM
  #6
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service
 
Watsatheo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,336
vCash: 50
I found him to be very opportunistic rather than great while GMing the Ducks. I don't think the Leafs are missing much to be totally honest. I rather have them get Burke than someone that might actually rebuild them well like Rutherford or Darcy Regier.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 05:44 PM
  #7
Turboflex*
 
Turboflex*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 4,152
vCash: 500
Even if Burke was a god of hockey (which after Anaheim's miserable campaign, it's a debatable point), could he turn crap into gold with that incompetant corporate board scutinizing his every move while they have their own internal ego wars going on? I don't see anything resembling a dynasty ever coming out of Toronto while these clowns are what passes for ownership.

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 06:03 PM
  #8
LesCanadiens
Registered User
 
LesCanadiens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: The Okanagan Baby!
Posts: 2,822
vCash: 500
Burke is overrated. I could care less if he signs with the Leafs.

LesCanadiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 06:31 PM
  #9
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut
 
Ice Poutine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: ____
Country: Martinique
Posts: 11,648
vCash: 1000
Any GM signing with the Leafs stops being a GM the moment he signs his contract and has to answer those owners (MLSE) that stifle everything he would want to do. Al they need is a puppet, a figurehead, a yes man.

Hell, i'll present to you now the new GM of the Leafs right here and now:


Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 06:35 PM
  #10
tinyzombies
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Calif via Montreal
Posts: 11,470
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesCanadiens View Post
Burke is overrated. I could care less if he signs with the Leafs.
You could argue that he messed the Ducks up this year by not making deadline moves and by signing Bertuzzi.

The Pronger trade fell in his lap. Murray left him with the assets to make the deal. The people in Vancouver don't seem to be big Burke fans after he gave up a bunch of assets for two Swedish guys who look alike.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 06:41 PM
  #11
SOLR
Registered User
 
SOLR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Toronto / North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,715
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Poutine View Post
Any GM signing with the Leafs stops being a GM the moment he signs his contract and has to answer those owners (MLSE) that stifle everything he would want to do. Al they need is a puppet, a figurehead, a yes man.

Hell, i'll present to you now the new GM of the Leafs right here and now:

Claude Julien as GM!??

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 06:58 PM
  #12
Habs8517
Registered User
 
Habs8517's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,216
vCash: 500

poor laffs
they think money can buy everything

Habs8517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 07:03 PM
  #13
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 47,755
vCash: 500
My feeling is that Jim Rutherford will be going in TO. They insisted that they need a experienced GM.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 07:09 PM
  #14
lou4gehrig
Registered User
 
lou4gehrig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,591
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafRefereeeeeees View Post
You could argue that he messed the Ducks up this year by not making deadline moves and by signing Bertuzzi.

The Pronger trade fell in his lap. Murray left him with the assets to make the deal. The people in Vancouver don't seem to be big Burke fans after he gave up a bunch of assets for two Swedish guys who look alike.
I think they traded McCabe and the 10th pick in 2000 for Daniel Sedin and drafted the other one with their pick.

Henrik has scored between 75-81 points each of the last three seasons.

Daniel has scored between 71-84 points each of the last three seasons.

Seems like a good trade by Burke if you ask me.

lou4gehrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 07:42 PM
  #15
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston
 
Analyzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Renfrew, ON.
Country: Canada
Posts: 41,319
vCash: 500
Toronto is going after Bob Gainey

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 07:44 PM
  #16
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban
 
Team_Spirit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 20,678
vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
My feeling is that Jim Rutherford will be going in TO. They insisted that they need a experienced GM.
AKA a boy from the 'club' as usual.

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 07:46 PM
  #17
Judge Sauer*
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Nunavut
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,989
vCash: 500
How many times does he have to say it? Seriously, he has to say it in Bushman tongue clicks or something, the media sure as heck doesn't seem to understand English.

Judge Sauer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 07:56 PM
  #18
Lone Rogue
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Windsor, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,506
vCash: 500
To be 100% honest, they should put a fresh minded guy in the spot. Colin Campbell, or hell, why not Doug Gilmour? Sure, Doug is learning and he has very little experience, but if you want a guy to grow with the team, Doug E is it.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 08:03 PM
  #19
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL
 
YMCMBeaulieu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,506
vCash: 500
Leafs still need an experienced GM? I think Mike Milbury is still available

YMCMBeaulieu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 08:09 PM
  #20
Lone Rogue
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Windsor, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HallyHabsFan21 View Post
Leafs still need an experienced GM? I think Mike Milbury is still available
He certainly bandwagons for the job on TSN. Maybe him and Healy can run the team together. Worked for Dallas with Jackson and Hull

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 08:45 PM
  #21
Guy Caballero
Registered User
 
Guy Caballero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,851
vCash: 500
They should give Andre Savard a look. He got things in motion when the Habs' cupboard was as bare as the Leafs' is today.

Guy Caballero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 09:03 PM
  #22
Bullsmith
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,134
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
I found him to be very opportunistic rather than great while GMing the Ducks. I don't think the Leafs are missing much to be totally honest. I rather have them get Burke than someone that might actually rebuild them well like Rutherford or Darcy Regier.
Darcy Regier is a brilliant idea for the Leafs. Never thought of him.

I have to say Burke terrifies me though. Opportunistic yes, but you need more than that to land 2 (TWO!!!) Norris-trophy winners with their full A games in pace.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 09:45 PM
  #23
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service
 
Watsatheo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,336
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullsmith View Post
Darcy Regier is a brilliant idea for the Leafs. Never thought of him.

I have to say Burke terrifies me though. Opportunistic yes, but you need more than that to land 2 (TWO!!!) Norris-trophy winners with their full A games in pace.
I just don't think he's all that great to be honest. He got Neids as an UFA basically because he wanted to play with his brother. Selanne wasn't going to sign anywhere else either. Those two would have been Ducks regardless of who GMed the Ducks IMO. He also walked into a Ducks organization which already had great young talent with Getzlaf, Penner, Lupul, and Perry already in the system.

The good moves he made were getting Pronger and Beauchemin. Lowe picked what he thought was the best package for Pronger. Federov for Beauchemin was very good trade.

He's a good GM, but not the person that I'd expect would be able to save the Leafs.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 10:30 PM
  #24
RE-HABS
Registered User
 
RE-HABS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: CANADA
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,885
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee96 View Post
just mentioned on TSN sportscentre

Burke is staying in Anaheim
Things have happened before, and if you really look at it Burke has walked into some good situations where he looks to have come out on top because of prior picks or prospects playing like the players they are supposed to be...the Leaf job to anyone is a long rebuild, I don't care who you are!

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 10:43 PM
  #25
tinyzombies
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Calif via Montreal
Posts: 11,470
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lou4gehrig View Post
I think they traded McCabe and the 10th pick in 2000 for Daniel Sedin and drafted the other one with their pick.

Henrik has scored between 75-81 points each of the last three seasons.

Daniel has scored between 71-84 points each of the last three seasons.

Seems like a good trade by Burke if you ask me.
Can't win with players like that. Not warriors. They had two high picks and pick two soft Swedes? Ridiculous.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:07 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.