HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Pressbox Boys (Lats, Ryder, Grabo, O'B) + Dandy (we hope?).....(merged)

View Poll Results: Will we see Lats or Ryder again during the playoffs?
We will see Ryder sub out with a regular 8 12.70%
We will see Latendresse sub out with a regular 20 31.75%
We will see Ryder and Lats rotate out with a regular 32 50.79%
We won't see Ryder or Lats for the rest of the playoffs 3 4.76%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-24-2008, 11:16 AM
AcadiaAxeMan

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to AcadiaAxeMan Send a message via Yahoo to AcadiaAxeMan
IMO - Dandenault is an up-down winger with some speed and defensive awareness / hockey sense / experience - he won't hurt us - he is the safest pick. Latendresse brings potentially more to the HABS but hasn't shown what that potential in a long time.

AcadiaAxeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2008, 11:18 AM
Doctor House

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
You must be 1 of the only ones that notice #84 out there...
I notice when he scores- when was the last time you saw Dandy score?

Doctor House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2008, 11:18 AM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

vCash: 725
Ryder. 'Cause Lupul was invisible and not even playing until Knuble hurt himself and Lupul send Washington on vacation....

Why wouldn't Ryder be able to do that? Flyers have that advantage that every line can score. Do we have that advantage on the Lappy line?

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2008, 11:21 AM
MJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by cap10bfl View Post
dandenault is playing on the fourth line

our 3rd line is begin-smolinski-kostopoulos, and i find they are a great shutdown/energy line, specially made for the playoffs
However you wanna slice it our third line is not nearly as talented as the teams we will play.

MJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2008, 11:21 AM
BigM1ke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwishihadacup View Post
Lats, we need is big body

We do not need any speed skater, we need hockey players
Have you watched him play at all this year?? He's not playing because he's NOT using his big body!!

Hell, it's playoff time and he's not even playing physically! He's useless and that's why Carbo doesn't use him! But I'm sure he'll play sooner than later.. Let's just hope he gets it this time and steps up his play!

BigM1ke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2008, 11:22 AM
Moester

Send a message via AIM to Moester Send a message via MSN to Moester
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
you should cut those hits by 3 if you count the times where he barely touched the jersey and an other 80% for the ones where he barely tickled the opponent after skating full speed towards him. Atleast Latendresse makes an impact when he starts hitting.

Lappierre also has the same problem, i mean what the **** is wrong with those guys. Can't they lay a great hit just once?
Actually the NHL is pretty stingy with hits and blocked shots. There will be games where it seems Komisarek will push or jam other players over 15 times but he'll walk away with 5-6 hits. I don't think that Dandenault ever scared a soul with his hits...but if the NHL recorded it; its that there was definite contact.

Also Lapierre's game isn't to get a huge hit as much as get under the opponent's skin with little hits and comments. Most pests are like that, look at Sean Avery, primo pest, but he's not exactly a huge hitter.

Moester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2008, 11:23 AM
Lone Rogue

Of course Latendresse, but I'm sure a bunch of people will continue to make their baseless remarks about how Latendresse is useless and invisible out on the ice, despite spending tons of time in the opposing zone keeping the puck from our zone and making scoring chances on the bottom lines.

Dandy will play, though, until he looks like an A hole.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2008, 11:23 AM
Habs8517

lats
he has a future in the team even if he suck ass but not as much as dandenault

if he doesnt get his head fixed and fail, bring in stewart

Habs8517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2008, 11:30 AM
Corey

It's interesting that Hab fans don't call for putting in Lats because he represents the future. It seems that the high hopes for him are a bit more moderate right now, especially since a rookie like S. Kost is the same age. Let's see how Lats performs next season.

Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2008, 11:30 AM
Moester

Send a message via AIM to Moester Send a message via MSN to Moester
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJG View Post
However you wanna slice it our third line is not nearly as talented as the teams we will play.
Maybe not Pittsburgh's third line...but Philly's and NY's are nothing to write home about. We might not have great offenive talent, but these guys are very good at the defensive aspects of the game. Philly's line has punch with Richards, but other than that we're not talking about an all-star line.

Moester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2008, 11:31 AM
Corey

It's interesting that Hab fans don't call for putting in Lats because he represents the future. It seems that the high hopes for him are a bit more moderate right now, especially since a rookie like S. Kost is the same age. Let's see how Lats performs next season. Oh, I know, power forwards take longer to mature?!

Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2008, 11:31 AM
jcpenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcadiaAxeMan View Post
IMO - Dandenault is an up-down winger with some speed and defensive awareness / hockey sense / experience - he won't hurt us - he is the safest pick. Latendresse brings potentially more to the HABS but hasn't shown what that potential in a long time.
Its more of a myth that Dandenault is a defensive player. Its mostly because he has no offensive abilities whatsoever, people label him has a defensive forward by default. Dandy has two assests; speed and intensity. He has zero hockey sense and has no hands and because of that he struggles a lot in his zone. When he has the puck he is prone to turnovers because he cant handle it.

Dandy is an energy player nothing more, i love how he backcheks, thanks to his speed, but thats about it. If was Carbo, i would surprise everybody and bring Chipchura in. If hes to play Dandy 6-8 mins a game, give this ice time to a player with real defensive awareness/future leader of this team.

jcpenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2008, 11:38 AM
Kalcon

Ryder!!!

He's a right handed shot that plays right wing. How could you choose Lats when he shoots left and plays the left wing? That just doesn't make any sense!
This series is going to be more run-and-gun than the Boston series so why have use a guy like Dandeneault who just can't score and had the worst +/- on the team in the regular season? At least with Ryder, there's a chance that he could get hot and score 4 or 5 goals in the series. With Dandeneault you get an average forechecker that has no idea what to do with the puck when he gets it and, obviously, doesn't offer a lot more in the defensive aspect of the game. Ryder has the ability to make a difference, Dandeneault doesn't!!
Anyone with half a brain or who doesn't coach the Montreal Canadiens would not choose Dandeneault over Ryder in this series. Carbonneau has to lose the hard on he has for him. You don't play him just because he played on cup winning teams with a stacked Detroit lineup.

Anyway, whoever is in, you can be sure that they'll only get 6-9 minutes of icetime. Hardly enough to make a positive influence on the game but plenty to have a negative one!

Go Habs!

Kalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2008, 11:40 AM
Megaforce

Grabbo. He can skate. The other guys look like they're snowshoeing.

Megaforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2008, 11:41 AM
Analyzer*

vCash: 50
The last game Lats was in, he was very visible on the ice. Yes, in the game we lost 5-1. They put his line out near the end and they were able to sustain some pressure.

He throws hits and has more of a scoring touch than Dandy.

Dandy is fast, has experience and knows his role and doesn't go outside that.

It all really depends on what type of game you want to play.

Though, I think Ryder is better than both. He's like a hybrid of those two; He can skate, but not as fast as Dandy, he can hit, maybe not as good as lats, and he can shoot, which neither of them can do, especially Dandy.

Analyzer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2008, 11:42 AM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Ryder. 'Cause Lupul was invisible and not even playing until Knuble hurt himself and Lupul send Washington on vacation....

Why wouldn't Ryder be able to do that? Flyers have that advantage that every line can score. Do we have that advantage on the Lappy line?
Why give a zillionth chance to Ryder ?

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2008, 11:43 AM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
The last game Lats was in, he was very visible on the ice. Yes, in the game we lost 5-1. They put his line out near the end and they were able to sustain some pressure.

Though, I think Ryder is better than both. He's like a hybrid of those two; He can skate, but not as fast as Dandy, he can hit, maybe not as good as lats, and he can shoot, which neither of them can do, especially Dandy.
I would like to see a Lapierre-Stewart-Latendresse line sometimes in a near future. If not, next season.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2008, 11:51 AM
Licou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megaforce View Post
Grabbo. He can skate. The other guys look like they're snowshoeing.
Arg... We can't bring Grabovky, we just can't. He would fare absolutely baddly in a playoff situation. He can't win faceoffs, he's not strong and he's not the kind of guy that's good to dig the puck, or protect it in the corners. He is quick and has good skills, but you need more complete players in the playoffs.

It sucks to say it but, Mikhal just ain't strong enough . You can't even compare him to the likes of Karya or St-Louis, since those two have great balance and don't fall easily. They also know how to pick up their spots. Grabovsky could become that eventually, but the playoffs aren't the best time to find out how he will fare in rough game....

Licou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2008, 11:54 AM
albertabound

Whats with this wanting to play Stewart over Lats? Stewart had 1 game in the NHL against a awful team played under 10 minutes remember its not like he was lighting it up in Hamilton he was ECHL last year might as well bring Baines up he is a better player than Stewart is. Lats or Ryder not Stewart. Stewart won't even make the Habs nexy year let alone putting him into a playoff game. Again where is this player from?

albertabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2008, 11:57 AM
Bruins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moester View Post
I wouldn't say that, Ryder was in a class by himself when it comes to making bad plays. I expected him to come with a full head of steam and barely gave any effort. Sure he hit and passed, but he made some horrible decisions, and never once did he create a chance, or stage a breakout. He made some timely passes, but they were always a result of someone else's efforts. I've been a Ryder supporter all year, but now, I've run out of excuses for him. Ryder is still a good hockey player in my book, but he seems to lack the willingness to be in a Habs uniform.

Dandy might be -11, but that's not where his contributions end. He's solid two way, and while you might think that hits = forecheck, I think that his speed and the fact that he can in the zone quickly while being an offensive threat. I think that his -11 is him having trouble picking his moments and causing turnovers; lets not forget that he also had one really rough patch where he accumulated most of this -11. He was much better in the second half of the season where he played only once in a while and kept his minutes low. I like the fact that he has breakout potential, a decent pass, can do a timely hit and has lots of speed. Used correctly Dandy is a good player. A lot like Brisebois in a lot of ways.
I couldn't disagree more. Sure he made bad decisions, but so did the whole team. Kovalev, Markov, Brisebois, etc. etc. all made plenty. Ryder is gone after this season, which is why he has been the teams whipping boy. I really wish that the fans would lay off Ryder. He had a sub-par season, but he has been nothing but class since the first day he joined the team. To say that Ryder was in a class by himself when it came to making bad plays is laughable. I could make a highlight reel of horrible plays by our Kovalev-Plekanec-Kostitsyn in the Bruins series.

Bruins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2008, 11:57 AM
LyleOdelein

I love Lats and want him to get another crack. He will get his chance to play when the Habs need a change. I don't think that anybody played their way out of the lineup in game 7. Our depth will come in handy when/if injuries start to occur.

LyleOdelein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2008, 11:58 AM
lou4gehrig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
It's interesting that Hab fans don't call for putting in Lats because he represents the future. It seems that the high hopes for him are a bit more moderate right now, especially since a rookie like S. Kost is the same age. Let's see how Lats performs next season.
Lats is a different player than S Kost. He's a big body, power forward type which obviously takes longer to develop.

Trust me, S Kost is special, but his game is speed and shiftiness, which is rewarded in today's NHL.

You can't go wrong with Lats who at the age of 19 and 20 has scored 16 goals in each season despite playing on all different lines and getting practically no PP time.

Even strength goals this season:
Kovalev 18
Pleks 17
Higgins 15
Latendresse 14!!!
A Kost 14
Ryder 13

You watch, we complain about Ryder, but in the offseason there will be alot of teams interested in him willing to give him 2nd line minutes. And you know what? He's going to do a good job for them and deliver 25-30 goals a season for the next 4-5 years. Yet, we can't seem to find a place for him against a converted defenseman like Dandenault.

lou4gehrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2008, 11:58 AM
Licou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post

Don't get me wrong, I really love Ryder. I even said he would be force for us in the playoffs, which isn't true (yet hopefully ). While he's an intense forechecker, a good shooter and a player that's actually pretty good to create some space for himself to shoot when he has the puck, Micheal is absolutely horrid on the cycle.

Yeah, we all know that passing isn't his strong point, but when he's in a cycling situation, that weakness shows itself big time. He never hits his linemates with simple passes along the boards! It always either too hard or too soft. More so, he's not very good at getting passes from his linemates too

The guy can somewhat be a burden, since he can't really elevate the cycling game of a line. He literally has to wait for the puck and shoot, which should be the job of guys like Brett Hull, not Ryder, who while he has a good shot, has absolutely no nose for the net.

He would have to fit on the 3rd line or whatever line it is, (the one with Lapierre and all). The problem is, Carbo expects that line to be very aware defensivly, while creating chances. He expects this line to keep the puck in the offensive zone as long as possible. Unfortunatly, Ryder is a kind of offensive possession curse. Plays just magically abort when Micheal is near the puck .

I don't know... I am sure he'll get a game at some point, but the poor guy has glaring weaknesses that puts him in a though spot with all our depth...

Licou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2008, 12:02 PM
Dripper

vCash: 205
Dandenault, and for me it's not even close

Dripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2008, 12:03 PM
lou4gehrig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
You must be 1 of the only ones that notice #84 out there...
You must be an #84 hater.

lou4gehrig is offline   Reply With Quote