HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Howson/Hitch Q. and A.

Old
04-23-2008, 08:02 AM
PubOFH

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to PubOFH
Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETfan View Post
Mass Transit is a money loser and government boondoggle. I only support it in cases where low-income people need the bus to get to work.

If you want a ride downtown because your SUV costs too much money to fill up and park, tough s-h-i-t. Find someone else to pay for it. You want a "trolley," they got them now on wheels, they're called "buses." Doll them up and let's move on to serious problems, like getting into the playoffs. (Geez, now I sound like Pubs )
Hey hey!!!! Watch it!!!

Tax tax tax.

Coleman = Idiot

Nuf Said.

PubOFH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 08:33 AM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PubOFH View Post
Hey hey!!!! Watch it!!!

Tax tax tax.

Coleman = Idiot

Nuf Said.
So how's your petroleum based, illegal-immigrant-installed, chinese siding holding up?
And let's not forget the under W, we're about to be handed the largest tax bill in history: the Iraq tax. Republicans: Shoot now, Pay later.

fyi: thanks to W's ethanol infatuation and failed oil-war, the price of corn liquor and barley based beverages is climbing. This is going to dramatically affect concession prices. I predict $8 and 10 beers next season. Anybody else notice that there were NOTICEABLY FEWER Pepsi girls this past year? The cuts are just beginning I tell you.

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 08:35 AM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

Quote:
I'm laughing that Mike Priest is SO UPSET about a trolleycar tax and all the money Mr. Mac has generated to the city...yada yada yada.
LET US REMEMBER that Mr.Mac raised ticket and concession prices last year, and the year before, and the year before, all the while not spending money on the roster.
Hey JacketsFan, would it still be possible for you to take an economics 101 class?

I am not going to get into the politics of this whole tax thing except to say that it just typical for the government to get it's grubby little paws into every single aspect of a business. And Coleman is a typical tax and spend politician.

Let's take something that people like to use and go to and tax the hell out of it until they don't want to, or can't afford to go anymore. If Mr. Mac needs to raise ticket prices, and concession prices to remain competitive, and keep the team afloat, than so be it. That money at least goes back into the Jackets system not to a POS politically motivated cash cow of a street car! Jackets prices are still well below many other NHL teams.

So, let's just tax the holy hell out of a business, and it's customers that actually is a winning proposition to the city. That brings revenue into the city, and the city hasn't contributed a dime to.

I guarentee you, confiscatory taxation will drive a business, including sports teams, to another city quicker than lower attendance will!

Anyone out there old enough to remember the Columbus Owls, and why they left town?

Dr. Fire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 08:47 AM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

I probably should have kept my conversation with Mr. Priest to myself. I should have known there would be certain people that despise a successful businessman, and would criticize him, and Mr. Mac.

I'm sure Mr. Priest is probably making way to much money, and a politician needs to come in and fix this because it isn't fair!

Sorry Mr. Priest, it won't happen again.

Old
04-23-2008, 09:06 AM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Fire View Post
Hey JacketsFan, would it still be possible for you to take an economics 101 class?

I am not going to get into the politics of this whole tax thing except to say that it just typical for the government to get it's grubby little paws into every single aspect of a business. And Coleman is a typical tax and spend politician.

Let's take something that people like to use and go to and tax the hell out of it until they don't want to, or can't afford to go anymore. If Mr. Mac needs to raise ticket prices, and concession prices to remain competitive, and keep the team afloat, than so be it. That money at least goes back into the Jackets system not to a POS politically motivated cash cow of a street car! Jackets prices are still well below many other NHL teams.

So, let's just tax the holy hell out of a business, and it's customers that actually is a winning proposition to the city. That brings revenue into the city, and the city hasn't contributed a dime to.

I guarentee you, confiscatory taxation will drive a business, including sports teams, to another city quicker than lower attendance will!

Anyone out there old enough to remember the Columbus Owls, and why they left town?

Dr.... I understand economics quite well. Run my own business, etc etc. I agree with you on the no trolley and no tax thing. But you're defending Mr. Mac saying "if he needs to raise prices to keep the team afloat to remain competitive..." Well there's the rub Mr. Economics Major. He has raised prices every year and STILL NOT become competitive. Yet his original investment has appreciated appreciably. I will defend him only after he spends what other playoff teams spend and achieve. In my book, Mr. Mac's "service to the community" award expired after the 05-06 season.

Good to be a HISTORY major too: Nationwide receives a HUGE property tax abatement on the district. That's why every ticket the FANS pay for has a $1 school tax. (A deal to make the fans pay for what the corporations did not want to pay). And let's also remember the infrastructure investment made by the state and city when the Arena was built. You and I paid for those nice brick roads, sewers and lighting. Not to mention the demolition of property so the fatcats could build their edifices. Not complaining too much about that, the district was a blight. But a lot of companies got their snouts into that trough, as well as the city.

The Owls left because they were run by an old-school owner who couldn't market his way out of a paperbag, and thus couldn't get Franklin Cty to let him play playoff games in the old and crappy collesium because they were making too much money on horse and monster truck shows. When the Chill came in and started selling out the place only then was the groundwork laid for the Jackets to come in, not by the Owls. fyi...I grew up attending Checkers and Owls games. Cruddy teams.

Old
04-23-2008, 09:07 AM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

Quote:
fyi: thanks to W's ethanol infatuation and failed oil-war, the price of corn liquor and barley based beverages is climbing. This is going to dramatically affect concession prices. I predict $8 and 10 beers next season.
Now I can agree with you on that one.

But it aint all W's fault. He got a lot of help from the Congress (Democrats) on that one, and was pushed toward that by ill-informed, agenda driven environmental whack-o's, and bad science.

But, that is for another thread.

I will say no more, Mel.

Old
04-23-2008, 09:13 AM
X0ssbar

Quote:
I probably should have kept my conversation with Mr. Priest to myself. I should have known there would be certain people that despise a successful businessman, and would criticize him, and Mr. Mac.

I'm sure Mr. Priest is probably making way to much money, and a politician needs to come in and fix this because it isn't fair!

I appreciate the post Fire and I'm sure others do as well.. its just the typical vocal minority turning nothing into a needless something.

X0ssbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 10:15 AM
Palinka

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETfan View Post
I'm laughing that Mike Priest is SO UPSET about a trolleycar tax and all the money Mr. Mac has generated to the city...yada yada yada.
LET US REMEMBER that Mr.Mac raised ticket and concession prices last year, and the year before, and the year before, all the while not spending money on the roster.
Concessions are handled by an outside company, as they are with most pro teams.

Palinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 10:44 AM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palinka View Post
Concessions are handled by an outside company, as they are with most pro teams.
Of course, ...under contract, and the team approves that contract, and gets a significant cut of that contract.

- - - -

I am as hopeful as the next person about what Mike Priest continues to say in public. But excuse me for not drinking the kool-aid ONCE AGAIN. As we saw this past season (and the year before and the year before): promises don't get you in the playoffs. They don't even get you a .500 team.

And I'm grateful to ownership for bringing the NHL to Columbus. But let's not fawn all over these super-rich guys and their super-rich corporations, -not when they're charging us an average of $60 a game and $7 for a $1 beer. Yes, they do nice things for Columbus, thanks to the un-requited loyalty of the fans, and willingness of the city's taxpayers to help them make money.

But let's be realistic: the value of the franchise has increased faster than any of our 401k's, The Wolfe family has more money than God and has a local team to write about and broadcast about on their Wolfe owned stations. Nationwide is going to end up owning half of downtown before they're through. And the DiCasto owners are a construction company helping to redevelop the district and downtown. They'll all be fine, trust me on that.

And I'm all for capitalism.

But pardon me if I don't salute the rich guys and their rich government friends.

Old
04-23-2008, 10:58 AM
BluejacketNut

Ahh, gotta love April CBJ talk. Hopefully some day we may be lucky enough to talk about our participation in a game 7

BluejacketNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 11:05 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluejacketNut View Post
Ahh, gotta love April CBJ talk. Hopefully some day we may be lucky enough to talk about our participation in a game 7
Hell, I'll take our participation in a game 4 with the chance at elimination.

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 11:10 AM
CapnCornelius

Politics on a hockey board.

I think we get inundated with that crap everywhere else enough.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 11:10 AM
Bucky33

I've been a Pittsburgh Pirates fan all my life. I worked for years under the same ownership that own that team. If ever there were a professional franchise just skating by attempting to stay green it would be them. I may not have the economics or politics knowledge some of you have, but I hear the word of H&H, Priest, and Mac and believe they want to win. I dont believe they're in Columbus just to throw a mediocre team at us and believe we'll bite because its the only major pro team in town.

Keeping with the Pittsburgh example - the Penguins had about the highest ticket in the NHL back when they were winning cups. Since then they went bankrupt, almost lost their team, absolutely sucked a few years (worse than CBJ) & got themselves some top shelf talent. They spent next to nothing during that bad stretch, and came out of it much for the better.

Bucky33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 11:16 AM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

Quote:
The Owls left because they were run by an old-school owner who couldn't market his way out of a paperbag, and thus couldn't get Franklin Cty to let him play playoff games in the old and crappy collesium because they were making too much money on horse and monster truck shows. When the Chill came in and started selling out the place only then was the groundwork laid for the Jackets to come in, not by the Owls. fyi...I grew up attending Checkers and Owls games. Cruddy teams.
Partially correct.

The owner of the Owls was playing in the ancient, oversized barn in an area suffering from urban blight, and paying the state a lot of money to do it. Not only was his lease double that of other IHL teams, he also received no money from parking and concessions. That all went to the State of Ohio, since they played on the State Fairgrounds.

He tried and tried to get the State to renegotiate this deal, but they refused. The Owls averaged about 4,500 per game, not enough to overcome this piss poor deal. Because of that, he moved the team to Dayton where he got a far better, fairer deal.

The play-off dates fiasco was merely the icing on the cake.

And the Owls did NOT suck! They were a descent team. Now if you want to talk about suckage, look no further than our Charlie "O" owned Columbus Seals. That was some suckage.

Quote:
Well there's the rub Mr. Economics Major
Hehe, I liked that, nice shot.

I don't mind paying a $1 surcharge when the money goes to schools, or something that benefits us all. I like and enjoy the Arena District, and if it helps make things more enjoyable for all of us, then I can go with that.

Look, I realize that there is going to be some taxation. That is a fact of life. But when they ask a small number of people to pay for something a small number of people are going to use, and those that use it have no relationship to those that are paying, then I have to draw the line there.

And don't talk to me about them getting some tax breaks. All big companies in this city and damn near everyother city get those breaks to induce them to locate in those cities because the cities know that they will do just fine collecting other taxes from that business and the people that work there.

That was no special deal, that is standard operating procedure for cities to do that.

Last edited by Dr. Fire: 04-23-2008 at 05:01 PM.
Old
04-23-2008, 12:10 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Don't worry about it.

Oops! I mean, good conversation starter, doc.

*wink*

Old
04-23-2008, 12:14 PM
CBJ Bob
It Smells Bad!

Guys - Let's keep it on topic and leave the Politics/economics to the Lounge and Fox News...

Thanx

CBJ Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2008, 02:55 AM
Tudball

Received email that two more Q/A sessions scheduled for season ticket holders...today and next Wed, 7:00pm @ Nationwide Arena w/Scott Howson & Tyler Wright. Contact sales reps if interested.

Tudball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2008, 08:39 AM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

Just wanted to add this. Hitch did at times take some resposibility for losses.

I remember 2 in particular that he has mentioned numorous times.

He did not do a good job preparing the team for shoot-outs.
He needs to do a better job coaching 4 on 4 play.

Old
04-24-2008, 10:56 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Just wanted to add this. Hitch did at times take some resposibility for losses.

I remember 2 in particular that he has mentioned numorous times.

He did not do a good job preparing the team for shoot-outs.
He needs to do a better job coaching 4 on 4 play.
I always seemed to feel he was reaching whenever he took responsibility, it always seemed like, although he blamed himself, his tone was more disappointing in the players then disgusted with himself.

Basically, I always got the feeling that he felt like with any other bunch of players, what he did would've been satisfactory.

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2008, 11:32 AM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tudball View Post
Received email that two more Q/A sessions scheduled for season ticket holders...today and next Wed, 7:00pm @ Nationwide Arena w/Scott Howson & Tyler Wright. Contact sales reps if interested.
Question for Tyler: With Zherdev gone, will you be playing on the second line.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2008, 12:50 PM
orthosrgn2

Dr Fire,

Talked to a friend yesterday, as he went to the meeting at Chiller North. He hadn't known I had your info and he virtual echoed all that you said. I know you don't need my verification, but I wanted to thank you for your excellent report of the situation. I look forward to your comments on the team in the future.

orthosrgn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2008, 02:40 PM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

No problem, I appreciate the thanks from everyone, but it really isn't needed.

I don't think that the arguments here are somehow directed at me (the messenger). I think they are just folks not buying, or agreeing with some of the stuff said by the CBJ officials that were on the hot seats.

It's all good.