HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Blues FA's - Who stays/who goes?

Closed Thread

Old
05-16-2004, 08:20 PM
degroat*

vCash: 500
I agree with most of what you said PB, but I do have a couple comments. Walker is as much as a no-brainer as Rycroft. As for Mayers, I agree that he hasn't developed as we would have liked him to, but IMO it's a huge mistake to get rid of a player because he didn't reach expectations when he still fills a role on a lower line just fine.

Old
05-16-2004, 08:44 PM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stich
I agree with most of what you said PB, but I do have a couple comments. Walker is as much as a no-brainer as Rycroft. As for Mayers, I agree that he hasn't developed as we would have liked him to, but IMO it's a huge mistake to get rid of a player because he didn't reach expectations when he still fills a role on a lower line just fine.
I agree, pretty much, on Walker. I want to bring him back, but he does need some work on his skating if he intends to play regularly in the NHL.

We may have to agree to disagree on Mayers. He does fill a role on the fourth line, but he doesn't score often enough to be a third-line player, IMO, and considering he'll be thirty years old when the next season starts, I think that a younger, less-expensive player can probably fill that same role adequately.

Now, if there's interest in Mayers elsewhere (Ottawa?), I'd have no problem with qualifying him and trading him for a pick or a prospect. I don't want to end up eating another salary, though, or paying a 30-year-old almost $900K (Mayers made $800K last year, plus a 10% hike for a qualifying offer) to do what a 21-year-old (McClement) can do for less money.

BTW, that was a nice pick of Ladislav Smid in the one mock draft you did as the Blues' GM...

PrussianBlue

Old
05-17-2004, 03:53 PM
Irish Blues

Mayers played himself off the roster this season by failing to use his speed and dumping the puck in countless times, retreating to set up to backcheck when he either had numbers with him or a reasonable chance to beat a defenseman and generate a scoring threat....so I agree with PB - if he goes, we don't lose much. (IF...and that's a big if...he starts using that speed like he showed he could before he got hurt in 2002, then I'd say hang on to him. But...I don't see it happening. He's a poor man's Rico Fata - great speed, no real offensive skills to go with it.)