HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The Pressbox Boys (Lats, Ryder, Grabo, O'B) + Dandy (we hope?).....(merged)

View Poll Results: Will we see Lats or Ryder again during the playoffs?
We will see Ryder sub out with a regular 8 12.70%
We will see Latendresse sub out with a regular 20 31.75%
We will see Ryder and Lats rotate out with a regular 32 50.79%
We won't see Ryder or Lats for the rest of the playoffs 3 4.76%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-24-2008, 02:10 PM
lou4gehrig

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalcon View Post
All our depth? All our depth?
All our depth means nothing when have Mathieu freaking Dandeneault in our lineup!!!

If Carbo wants defensive awareness from that line then Mr. Minus Eleven should be in the pressbox!!

Michael Ryder should be playing!
Management asked him to better his defensive game and he did...by improving his +/- by a whopping +21!!! Yes, his goal output suffered but when you try changing your style of game your bound to see other areas of your game suffer until you become fully adjusted.
Really, when you look at it, for a bad year it wasn't really that bad!
He had 30 goals last year...17 PP...2 SH...11 ES. minus 25!
This year he had 14 goals...1PP...0 SH...13 ES. plus 4!
Any coach should be thrilled with improvements to the last two stats. Especially when you challenge the player to do so!
His numbers probably would have been better if he had received the same PP time as last year. However, with the emergence of Striet, the two Kostitsyns, and Kovalev's rebirth, the PP was the best in the league. You can't argue or tamper with success.
Anyway, Ryder's 'poor' season will probably end up making him a better. Once becomes comfortable in his defensive awareness, he will likely regain his scoring touch and more complete hockey player.
Agreed. I thought we were an offensive team, that's why we won games? Lats' 14 and Ryder's 13 even strength goals are 4th and 6th best on this team. I thought secondary scoring wins hockey games????

lou4gehrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2008, 02:13 PM
jcpenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckhead58 View Post
Your right....he doesn't even provide decent defence....but I guess when you have to choose between Dandy, Lats and Ryder....its pretty hard to pick one of them without having it blow up in your face.

Honestly, if Lats played rougher and hit more, I would have him in the lineup no matter what. He proved he can put the puck in the net and he made the team when he was a rookie because he was big and aggressive, but after making the roster, he stopped using his physical style and now he is just useless.

Lats needs to be more consistant.
To me its a no-brainer, Ryder should play. He has the ability to score, hit, make plays, forecheck and hes reliable defensively. He hasnt done that consistently all year but he cant hurt the team and if he wakes up the reward is bigger than all of the fringe guys we have.

jcpenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2008, 02:22 PM
Brass

Chipchura really

Brass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2008, 02:33 PM
Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalcon View Post
Ryder!!!

He's a right handed shot that plays right wing. How could you choose Lats when he shoots left and plays the left wing? That just doesn't make any sense!
This series is going to be more run-and-gun than the Boston series so why have use a guy like Dandeneault who just can't score and had the worst +/- on the team in the regular season? At least with Ryder, there's a chance that he could get hot and score 4 or 5 goals in the series. With Dandeneault you get an average forechecker that has no idea what to do with the puck when he gets it and, obviously, doesn't offer a lot more in the defensive aspect of the game. Ryder has the ability to make a difference, Dandeneault doesn't!!
Anyone with half a brain or who doesn't coach the Montreal Canadiens would not choose Dandeneault over Ryder in this series. Carbonneau has to lose the hard on he has for him. You don't play him just because he played on cup winning teams with a stacked Detroit lineup.

Anyway, whoever is in, you can be sure that they'll only get 6-9 minutes of icetime. Hardly enough to make a positive influence on the game but plenty to have a negative one!

Go Habs!

Yes, clearly Ryder (with his natural instincts and gifted ability to score) should be in but Carbo doesn't appear to make rational decisions when it comes to certain players. Either Carbo has a personal hate for the guy or he's taking the Montreal media too seriously, a media like RDS which obviously hates Ryder.

What Ryder needs now more than anything is a coach that believes in and supports him, not a coach who turns his back on him. Carbo wanted Ryder to become more defensively reliable and that he did...And one would think that Carbo is intelligent enough to realise if you're expecting an offensive player to make major adjustments to a defensive style of game then that player's offensive game is going to be adversely affected. Ryder is not exactly stinking it up over the last couple of months...I hear tons of people (both Montreal and non-Montreal fans alike) repeating this same sentiment every day.

I really don't know why or what the motives are, but Carbo is simply not being fair to Ryder...A guy who's done everything asked of him, who works hard, who's a team player, who's very well liked by his teammates and yet still takes all the blame for the team's failures...A guy with a great natural ability to score, but a guy who's confidence is at an all time low because of the treatment by the coach...It's time for Carbo to realise and accept responsibility for the way he has treated Ryder and to put this childlishness behind him, and thus place Ryder back in the lineup and tell him that he will stay unless it's very obvious that he's not giving the work ethic, and I'm willing to bet that we will see significant improvement in his game...Ryder needs a vote of confidence and he needs it bad...

Dynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2008, 02:40 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifthgear View Post
Lats or Dandenault, who would you prefer for tonight? My answer is Lats because he completes the line better with Lapy and Streit and last game, Dandenault didn't look good and only played 6 minutes.

Discuss ...
It's a no brainer, Lats should have never been sat out for Dandenault. Dandy must have pictures on Carbo or something...

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Guy Drouin View Post
Latendresse is still useful. He's simpley having a hard time being in a teams who's goal is speed.

Grabo and Ryder are finished in MTL I hope.
He isn't ever going to be useful in a team that's need and goal is speed...MacPac will bump him soon.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
jcpenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynasty View Post
Yes, clearly Ryder (with his natural instincts and gifted ability to score) should be in but Carbo doesn't appear to make rational decisions when it comes to certain players. Either Carbo has a personal hate for the guy or he's taking the Montreal media too seriously, a media like RDS which obviously hates Ryder.

What Ryder needs now more than anything is a coach that believes in and supports him, not a coach who turns his back on him. Carbo wanted Ryder to become more defensively reliable and that he did...And one would think that Carbo is intelligent enough to realise if you're expecting an offensive player to make major adjustments to a defensive style of game then that player's offensive game is going to be adversely affected. Ryder is not exactly stinking it up over the last couple of months...I hear tons of people (both Montreal and non-Montreal fans alike) repeating this same sentiment every day.

I really don't know why or what the motives are, but Carbo is simply not being fair to Ryder...A guy who's done everything asked of him, who works hard, who's a team player, who's very well liked by his teammates and yet still takes all the blame for the team's failures...A guy with a great natural ability to score, but a guy who's confidence is at an all time low because of the treatment by the coach...It's time for Carbo to realise and accept responsibility for the way he has treated Ryder and to put this childlishness behind him, and thus place Ryder back in the lineup and tell him that he will stay unless it's very obvious that he's not giving the work ethic, and I'm willing to bet that we will see significant improvement in his game...Ryder needs a vote of confidence and he needs it bad...
Great post. Sometimes i wonder what goes on in Carbo's brain. He plays guys like Dandenault that not only brings nothing to the team but is also a liability defensively while hes quick to sit Ryder, a proven goal scorer who plays hard every game. Either Carbo just doesnt like the guy or hes delusional on what Dandenault brings to the team.

Old
04-24-2008, 02:59 PM
revin5*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
You must be 1 of the only ones that notice #84 out there...
last game he played he controlled the play everytime he was on the ice. Not in an offensive way, but throwing his body around to keep the puck deep on the left boards and then skating to the right side and stopping another clearing attempt before having to skate back and break up another play near our blue line. He's damn slow, and he knows it, but his game is reminding me more and more of Bonk's the first year he was here (when I loved him and everyone else hated him).

revin5* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2008, 03:06 PM
shortcat1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CacaLauncher23 View Post
I would like Ryder to stay another year in Montreal. Maybe he'll pull a Kovalev and get out of this slump.

He did average 25/25 goals/assists a season. And 15 goals this year is not too shabby IMO.

But that's just me.
That's me too, by the way...

shortcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2008, 03:50 PM
Lord Horse
Next Day's News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynasty View Post

If we were losing, you might have a point. Calling the coach childish is really dumb though, if you don't mind me saying so. Or if you do, I don't care either way. But results are good, and Ryder is not scoring, so.... tough luck for #73.

Lord Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2008, 04:10 PM
dutchy29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifthgear View Post
Don't forget, Latendresse is still young ! Bertuzzi took i long time before performing!
and look at Bertuzzi go!!

dutchy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2008, 04:13 PM
Lord Horse
Next Day's News

Dandenault:

The guy is fast, nothing more really. He's not really a good defensive player. If he were, he'd be a defenseman. Simple as that. He's in there, IMO, because of his speed at chasing loose pucks and icings, which we just don't have many guys to do. He's fast enough to get to a puck FIRST, and when he plays to 100%, he does it. Reason enough to be on the 3rd line. And I wouldn't discredit his experience.

Ryder:

Fights through checks 1/2 the time. Not too good between the blue lines or without the puck. Hasn't been winning his 1-on-1 battles as he should to be effective. And what's more his shooting has gone to the dogs. He's missing the net more than Kovalev + Higgins combined, and that's too much. When a guy is in scoring position, and doesn't put a puck on net, it's an error. He's just made way, way too many of those. Really he needs to be a mobile cannon since his puck handling in the tight space of the playoffs is pretty hopeless. But if can get open and get a pass when he's in the slot, who knows? IMO it's also possible he's hurt right now.

Latendresse:

Slow. I don't care who wants to argue that (not many I'll wager) 'cause he is slow. A sloth could outrace him out there. He needs to play with and against players that play at his speed to be effective (AHL?). I thought he'd be a good guy to go to the front, create traffic and score, esp. on the PP, but by the time he gets to the net the play is gone and finished and he's too late. Maybe PP time could help him score a bit, but who do you take off? Next year, Gui, next year. He'd still crack the lineup on 29 other teams, and he can still score, but he needs Koivu to do it with right now. Still lots of potential here, if not quite ready now.

Grabovski:

The guy who'd play if Dandenault wasn't. Faster then him, even. But the experience factor counts. And, sorry, but so does the Canadian factor. Yeah, I went there. But in your heart you know it's true. Nothing against Grabs but I'm putting the Quebecois in there 10 times out of ten when all else is equal. The only advantage Grabovski has, IMO is better hockey sense. I still see this guy as a third (scoring) line centre. I appreciated his work with Higgins and Billy Kostitsyn during a stretch and part of me hopes to see that line next year.

If scoring dries up again you might see it:

46-14-27
84-11-73
21-54-74
22-20-6

as that combo had some jump previously.

O'Byrne.... we'll see him again, guarenteed. Not a chance we don't suffer another D injury. Markov looks ready to fall apart if you sneeze on him, and it's been a rough road so far for all.

As for the Bulldog / Black Aces.... despite earlier reports you will only see 'em in the event of serious injury problems.

Lord Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2008, 04:21 PM
xeric716x
Born To Expire

Ryder should play, Dandy should be out.

xeric716x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2008, 04:41 PM
Brisk-Illusion

Unless we're hit by injuries or go down by 2 in any given series, I don't think we're going to see Ryder in a Habs jersey again

Brisk-Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2008, 04:45 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

The biggest reason to try Ryder is because of the line.

Streit - Lapierre - Ryder

Everytime I think of that line I get chills and great memories .

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2008, 04:52 PM
jcpenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
The biggest reason to try Ryder is because of the line.

Streit - Lapierre - Ryder

Everytime I think of that line I get chills and great memories .
What a game that was...

Old
04-24-2008, 04:58 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

What about Chipchura? He could play on the wing were his faceoff troubles wouldn't hurt us. I think that he's more fit for a two way 4th line than Latendresse, Dandenault or Grabovski.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2008, 05:12 PM
Kriss E

Personally, id go with Lats because of his size. Him and Lappy always seem happy to form this gay ''bash'' brothers duo as well..
But i can't blame Carbo for going with Dandy, we already have enough youngsters on our roster, Dandy is one of the few on our team that already won a cup.

But his lines make more sense with Dandy on. Our 1st and 2nd line are set. Our 3rd has been a big part of us advancing to the 2nd round. That leaves Lapierre-Streit-Dandy-Ryder-Lats-Grabs, for a line that needs to be fast and gritty for the few shifts they'll have.
I dont like our 4th line, but i do understand why Carbo is going with that one.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote