HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

American anthem

Old
04-24-2008, 06:18 PM
bodybreak
We're Back!

vCash: 500
American anthem

So someone on CBC mentioned how great it was tonight that there was some added attention given to the American anthem, whehter because of the way it was sung, or something said before it was sung, I'm not sure. This guy said there were concerns about how it was being handled in round 1.

I didn't see what he was getting at. Maybe some fans were booing during round 1... it really wasn't noticeable on TV. Was that all this was about? Was it something to do with the actual singer? What was the announcement (if there was one) and what was so better about the anthem tonight?

bodybreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2008, 06:20 PM
peicurler91

We can't me much worse than in San Jose (Remember when the Oilers played them? a lot of Shark fans booed our anthem, they did that again in game 7 vs the Flames) all in all there are a lot of respectful Shark fans that cheer or clap for our anthem and many thank you's go to you people

peicurler91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2008, 06:21 PM
senrab

Send a message via AIM to senrab Send a message via Yahoo to senrab
"Remove your hats and caps, with respect and dignity for the singing of the anthems."

senrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2008, 06:25 PM
bodybreak
We're Back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by senrab View Post
"Remove your hats and caps, with respect and dignity for the singing of the anthems."
They were saying that in Round 1... at least I caught them saying it in French... the English version was much shorter but they might have said that then too... I forget.

I think it was the RESPECT and DIGNITY part that impressed Elliote Friedman

Old
04-24-2008, 06:31 PM
Galchenyuk x 27

vCash: 50
our fans booed the anthem in round 1.

it wasnt really heard because other fans chanted GO HABS GO to drown out the boo birds.

komisarek and begin i believe said a message on the big screen telling fans to respect both anthems

Galchenyuk x 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2008, 06:33 PM
peicurler91

Either way somewhat classy by the other fans to try to cover up the boos, shouldn't be booing the anthems anyway, it's f'ing retarded

peicurler91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2008, 06:36 PM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee96 View Post
our fans booed the anthem in round 1.

it wasnt really heard because other fans chanted GO HABS GO to drown out the boo birds.

komisarek and begin i believe said a message on the big screen telling fans to respect both anthems
NO. Komisarek and Bégin (Bouillon I think...) will ask people to behave on their way out after the game. Not about the anthems.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2008, 06:45 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Woohoo. The american anthem thread!!!!!

Maybe we should sticky it....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2008, 08:07 PM
The n00b King
Kingin' since 2003

seriously...when are they gonna remove anthems from games??

WHAT is the point of an anthem in a non-olympic game?

The n00b King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2008, 09:10 PM
Canuck71

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodybreak View Post
So someone on CBC mentioned how great it was tonight that there was some added attention given to the American anthem, whehter because of the way it was sung, or something said before it was sung, I'm not sure. This guy said there were concerns about how it was being handled in round 1.

I didn't see what he was getting at. Maybe some fans were booing during round 1... it really wasn't noticeable on TV. Was that all this was about? Was it something to do with the actual singer? What was the announcement (if there was one) and what was so better about the anthem tonight?
Are you serious? I could barely hear the anthem being sung all I heard was fans yelling either "go habs go" or some booing the American anthem. Tonight was alot different

Canuck71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2008, 09:31 PM
LeMAD

There is no point in playing the anthem in a hockey game.

How about a team signing Bleu, Blanc, Rouge before the game instead?

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2008, 09:41 PM
bodybreak
We're Back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck71 View Post
Are you serious? I could barely hear the anthem being sung all I heard was fans yelling either "go habs go" or some booing the American anthem. Tonight was alot different
I could hear noise in the background, but it wasn't clear that it was booing. I heard some cheering (wooo), some Go Habs Go, some people singing along and maybe some booing... but I coudln't really tell if that's what they were getting at, since everyone there were a bunch of different groups of people making different noises.

Old
04-24-2008, 09:48 PM
karho

I guess we should start getting fans to cheer the American anthem, if only to drown out the boos. It's getting pathetic, to the point where I want to avoid watching the first few minutes of the game, just to avoid the anthems.

karho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2008, 10:00 PM
SerialSeb

Ya in my section some started to boo so others started to chant Go Habs Go or to sing along. Eventually it all settled. It's OK dickheads are everywhere we just need more proactive good people.

SerialSeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2008, 10:12 PM
Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by senrab View Post
It wasn't exactly that quote, but they added the "respect & dignity" part for the first time tonight.

Seemed to work tonight.

It's not that people were booing during the Round 1 games, but there were a lot of "Go Habs Go" chants. Not as bad, but still disrespectful.

There were a little still, but it was much more subdued. Some boneheads always try but by the 1/2 way point it was pretty good tonight.

There were also little clips during commercial breaks - three different ones were played - Bouillon, Georges St-Pierre, and Komisarek spoke, respectively. This was about "celebrating joyfully but responsibly" or something to that effect.

Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2008, 10:14 PM
JrHockeyFan

You have to know that no matter what happens the folks that WANT to hear booing will swear they heard booing

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2008, 10:32 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

That's pretty stupid considering some of our players are American.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2008, 10:33 PM
Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated R Superstar View Post
That's pretty stupid considering some of our players are American.
Some people are pretty stupid. I don't think it goes deeper than that.

Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2008, 10:36 PM
compile

vCash: 611
pretty pathetic to boo anthems.

Or do people in Montreal forget 2 of out best players are American.
Its a perfect way to drive people out, and besides that, they are people.

I say next game everyone sings it. Maybe then Higgins will start scoring more and Komisarek will knock out the likes of Hartnell, Upshall, Briere and Richards.

Go Habs Go.

compile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2008, 11:10 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForzaHabs View Post
pretty pathetic to boo anthems....
This isnt an Olympic medal ceremony and i honestly think this anthem singing is useless. Dont mix hockey with politics when its not played on a world level but a local one like ours is right now.

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2008, 11:16 PM
compile

vCash: 611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Poutine View Post
This isnt an Olympic medal ceremony and i honestly think this anthem singing is useless. Dont mix hockey with politics when its not played on a world level but a local one like ours is right now.
Well if you made the argument that not every player is from North America then I could agree. Its to honor the people that the team represents.

I like it. I think it belongs. I also think the Olympics is a pathetic joke but w/e.

compile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2008, 11:27 PM
Lucius

I see it as a unique point of hockey that we properly sing multiple anthems during games. Good for hockey and shame on people who are so immature as to confuse the US Anthem with the Flyers (or Bruins).

People should either shut up or sing along. I am pro those who drown out the booing, but its embarrassing that Montreal is consistently the only city who has this issue in Canada.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2008, 11:48 PM
habsrock44

Send a message via MSN to habsrock44
I've been reading this thread and others that have popped up and I want to make something clear. It's not just Montreal that boos national anthem's. When I was in Boston for game 3 some of the bruins fans were booing the canadian anthem. That doesn't excuse or make it right that we boo the national anthem, but let's not make it out like were the only fans who boo the national anthem's. And for the record I was one of those people in Boston who sung louder to drown out the boos.

habsrock44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2008, 11:55 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForzaHabs View Post
Well if you made the argument that not every player is from North America then I could agree. Its to honor the people that the team represents.

I like it. I think it belongs. I also think the Olympics is a pathetic joke but w/e.
Actually, in another post, i said that the anthems were useless if they werent played for every players countries in both teams so i guess we think the same on that!

Old
04-24-2008, 11:57 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsrock44 View Post
...And for the record I was one of those people in Boston who sung louder to drown out the boos.
Singing loudly a Celine Dion song doesnt qualify as "singing louder to drown out" the boos btw..