HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Draper, Maltby, Yzerman in team canada???

Closed Thread

Old
05-16-2004, 02:19 AM
Marchy79

vCash: 500
Yzerman should be on the team. He's a heart and soul player. People say he doesn't have anything left... But they said the same thing about him when he led Detroit to a Stanley Cup, with one leg. By the reaction of the Detroit bench and following performance in this year Play-off after Steve Yzerman went down... It proves to me that he adds character, leadership, and ultimately, intensity. I'm thinking they're thinking of parking I-zie on the right wing of Maltby and Draper... That was an excellent choice by the brass IMO (If that was the case).

I was hoping that Bertuzzi got the nod, He's the best LW'er in the world right now.

As for Theodore not making the squad... I think he'll be there soon enough, it just wasn't his time. I hope he takes this decision by the brass personal, and make him prove why not adding his name to the list of 3, will be a mistake next time... As for now, Belfour was unbelievable for the Leafs throughout most of the playoffs. Theo was rather average. He played incredible from behind 3-1, I know he has the potential to go the distance someday. He has an extra level to his play that he reaches when determined/truly tested... I just hope he finds that 'level' this summer... He has the ability to be the best. Furthermore, what makes him special is his cockiness, because ultimately that will drive him to be the best. He's just getting ready to enter his prime, and the competition in the Montreal farms/backup is very tight. We have a 1/2 dozen SOLID goaltending prospects. Theo will ultimately HAVE to prove that he is bar none the best of the bunch constantly.

Old
05-16-2004, 02:34 AM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost # 1
Yzerman should be on the team. He's a heart and soul player. People say he doesn't have anything left... But they said the same thing about him when he led Detroit to a Stanley Cup, with one leg. By the reaction of the Detroit bench and following performance in this year Play-off after Steve Yzerman went down... It proves to me that he adds character, leadership, and ultimately, intensity. I'm thinking they're thinking of parking I-zie on the right wing of Maltby and Draper... That was an excellent choice by the brass IMO (If that was the case).

I was hoping that Bertuzzi got the nod, He's the best LW'er in the world right now.

As for Theodore not making the squad... I think he'll be there soon enough, it just wasn't his time. I hope he takes this decision by the brass personal, and make him prove why not adding his name to the list of 3, will be a mistake next time... As for now, Belfour was unbelievable for the Leafs throughout most of the playoffs. Theo was rather average. He played incredible from behind 3-1, I know he has the potential to go the distance someday. He has an extra level to his play that he reaches when determined/truly tested... I just hope he finds that 'level' this summer... He has the ability to be the best. Furthermore, what makes him special is his cockiness, because ultimately that will drive him to be the best. He's just getting ready to enter his prime, and the competition in the Montreal farms/backup is very tight. We have a 1/2 dozen SOLID goaltending prospects. Theo will ultimately HAVE to prove that he is bar none the best of the bunch constantly.

I don't buy the Belfour thing. He played well most of the time, but he lets in those stinkers that sink the ship. Always does. He can be awesome for the entire game, but blow it in OT.

Theodore should be on the team, he's the future along with Luongo. Luongo might even steal the job from Brodeur if he gets a chance.

I can't believe Bouwmeester isn't on the team. Brewer is so overrated. So is Ryan Smyth and even Gagne. Bertuzzi is way better than those guys. Maybe they're going to add him later when the dust settles.

Maltby could have been left off and Draper too if they were going to give a spot to Stevie. But all three can easily play to the level of Team Canada. Doan is a solid player, but again, there are more talented guys. Primeau is better than Doan for instance.

Old
05-16-2004, 10:56 AM
TML_fan_4_life

Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves
I don't buy the Belfour thing. He played well most of the time, but he lets in those stinkers that sink the ship. Always does. He can be awesome for the entire game, but blow it in OT.
Theodore should be on the team, he's the future along with Luongo. Luongo might even steal the job from Brodeur if he gets a chance.

I can't believe Bouwmeester isn't on the team. Brewer is so overrated. So is Ryan Smyth and even Gagne. Bertuzzi is way better than those guys. Maybe they're going to add him later when the dust settles.

Maltby could have been left off and Draper too if they were going to give a spot to Stevie. But all three can easily play to the level of Team Canada. Doan is a solid player, but again, there are more talented guys. Primeau is better than Doan for instance.
Just like Theodore game 2 Boston

Old
05-16-2004, 12:56 PM
mcphee

Quote:

I'm a big fan of Bo-alphabet, but Brewer was very solid during the Olympics,and with Lowe on trhe selection commitee... Before the 92 Olympics, after player selection, I remember Quinn saying that they wanted guys who were fast and skilled but also could think the game well. Gagne is a pretty good example of this. He's fast,can bury his chances,play on any kind of line and adapt to different styles.
I think you're undervaluing Doan personally, I've found him dominant whenever I've seen him play, but you're out west and may see him more than me so we can disagree on that one. I think they got down to who they would consider role players and looked at Morrow,Draper,Maltby,Primeau,Peca,Madden and figured maybe take the 2 Detroit guys for reasons of chemistry. Could be they just don't like Primeau,who knows. I agree with Deandebean in that Cda. should be dictating tempo,but disagree that Draper,Maltby can't do this. In fact isn't that part of their lines task, tempo and momentum changes ? My point about players who think the game well may explain Richards over Lecavalier. I'm guessing that if the tournament was on a Euro surface,Lecav. may have been chosen for his ability to find seams, and take long passes. Belfour,Theo,Giguere,Marc Denis and Turco are all excellent goalies and I think last impression has a lot to do with the final choice.

Crazy Nine, lay off the caffeine. BTW, when Bowman got a feel for the roster in Detroit after his arrival, he came close to trading Yzerman. The feeling was that while he was a great player, he wasn't a leader. That changed, no deal was made and they have a few Cups in the bank together. Stevie Y didn't step into the NHL at 18 as a leader. If he is there, he will have to contribute on the ice. If he can answer the bell physically,he'll be there as will Lemieux. Both these guys have enough pride that they would back out if they couldn't help. If you are down a goal on a power play in a deciding game, are there players you'd rather have trying to bury a rebound than Mario or Y ?

Old
05-16-2004, 01:18 PM
tritone

What always strikes me as a little funny is the way people criticize the Team selection then a whole slew of people put up their suggestions and we end up with about 25 other names that haven't made the team .

I recall a lot of people moaning about the Olympic team selection (especially after the loss to Sweden) ...ring any bells?

So , hate Gretzky for choosing this team before it even plays a game .
Were you the same person loving him when we won gold?

This is an NHL ice tournament. Maybe skill and goal scorers are not the only necessity in the pursuit of this Cup ?

Hey, here's a thought . Gretzky has won a Canada cup , has put together an Olympic Gold medal team , owns 63 NHL records and a few Stanley cups if I remember correctly hehe. MAYBE just maybe we should let the man who has won and won and won and proved time and time again that he can crunch it out , CHOOSE THE DAMN TEAM.

Old
05-16-2004, 01:47 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by espion
Yes I have you arrogant *i**. And Yzerman isn't the only leader on the team. There are about 9 captains on the team, lots of veterans... Yzerman is not the key. Trust me.

As for the first comment, entirely not necessary. Go to RDS boards or the likes.

Secondly, why should we trust you? I think we will take the Team Canada selection crew's view over yours.

Old
05-16-2004, 04:21 PM
not quite yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash13
As for the first comment, entirely not necessary. Go to RDS boards or the likes.

Secondly, why should we trust you? I think we will take the Team Canada selection crew's view over yours.
I don't care if you trust me or not. I'll post my opinion wherever I want to, regardless of your feelings about me.

If a guy tries to make fun of me or insults me, I am not going to take it. I have the right to byte back and I did.

Before judging me on one post try reading the post I was replying to first. He took a shot at me out of the blue, I had the right to return fire.

Old
05-16-2004, 04:59 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
I don't care if you trust me or not. I'll post my opinion wherever I want to, regardless of your feelings about me.

If a guy tries to make fun of me or insults me, I am not going to take it. I have the right to byte back and I did.

Before judging me on one post try reading the post I was replying to first. He took a shot at me out of the blue, I had the right to return fire.
Someone just a little sensitive. There was nothing wrong with his post, and if that is what you consider an insult, I wonder how you get through every day life.

And fact is, you can't just express your opinion anywhere you want. The truth is, a moderator could easily step in here, and censor your opinion especially your post regarding the poster, or could ban you all together. And if you don't care about what others think of you, then why the need to throw a little hissy and hurl insults.

Anyhow, i am done on this.

Old
05-16-2004, 05:41 PM
tinyzombies

This board needs some anger management, eh? :lol

Old
05-16-2004, 06:01 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
This board needs some anger management, eh? :lol

Hab withdrawal maybe? Better fire up the habaholic meetings again.

Old
05-16-2004, 07:31 PM
tritone

Quote:
Hab withdrawal maybe? Better fire up the habaholic meetings again.

Hi everybody, my name is tritone and i'm a haboholic.
It just won't stop , even after the season ends i spend countless hours on hockey forums just to keep a slightest of holds on the hockey dream, I went so far as to make an avatar of a guitar with a habs logo as the body . When I work evening shifts I stay awake til 2:30 am to watch the HABS replay on RDS. HELP ME LORD

Old
05-16-2004, 08:12 PM
Habber

I have no problem with the fact that Stevie Y made the team, but there's no way Maltby and Draper should be there. They've just gone against their whole philosophy for the olympics, which was to put the most skilled guys they could on the team. Tough to understand why they would change things this time around when we were so successful back then.

We don't need a checking line. Iginla, Sakic, Yzerman, Smyth, these are guys that you want on the ice in any situation. If we can throw out four scoring lines who are all responsible defensively, what's the point of having plummers on the team. This is the type of thinking that lost us the last World Cup, and I thought we turned the corner last olympics, but I guess not.

Old
05-16-2004, 09:55 PM
not quite yoda

Quote:
1.And fact is, you can't just express your opinion anywhere you want.

2.The truth is, a moderator could easily step in here, and censor your opinion especially your post regarding the poster, or could ban you all together.

3.And if you don't care about what others think of you, then why the need to throw a little hissy and hurl insults.
1. Free Speech. Watch me.

2.If a moderator wants to censor my post then he can. But as of yet it hasn't been. Stop trying to tell people (moderators as well as I) how they should act. Who made you God?

3. I never said that I didn't care for peoples' opinion of me. I said that I didn't care if you "trust me" or not. Read correctly please before misinterpreting me.

Thank you.

Old
05-17-2004, 03:14 AM
Sir Habalot

Because the World Cup is played on NHL sized ice, I think Draper and Maltby will be invaluable. Gretzky couldn't pick everybody, I like who he has chosen. There is enough depth on the team so that if Yzerman isn't cutting it, he won't get high minutes. This is a good team.

Old
05-17-2004, 10:13 AM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
1. Free Speech. Watch me.

2.If a moderator wants to censor my post then he can. But as of yet it hasn't been. Stop trying to tell people (moderators as well as I) how they should act. Who made you God?

3. I never said that I didn't care for peoples' opinion of me. I said that I didn't care if you "trust me" or not. Read correctly please before misinterpreting me.

Thank you.

Freedom of speech is not a right on a private board, that is first and foremost. Also, your first two points are contradicting. The fact that you think you can write whatever you want is simply false. That is the only point I was making.

Second, me bringing up moderators was simply proof that freedom of speech isn't a right here. I didn't say they should step in here, I said they "could" thus freedom of speech and you saying whatever you want just isn't true. Maybe you should stop and read peoples post, instead of flying off the wall taking offense to what everybody says.

FYI, you said, "I will post my opinion wherever I want, regardless of your feelings about me." Take that for what you will, to me that says someone doesn't care what people think of them. Maybe you should learn to read what you yourself wrote.

Old
05-17-2004, 10:52 AM
NWT Habs Fan

This team is going to take penalties, so why not have a duo that are among the best in the business on the PK. Gretz is really high on the contribution that these guys bring and he mentioned in an interview that these two and Doan have some good chemistry going from past international gigs, and I trust his instinct on this.

As for Stevie Y, in that same interview Gretz said he only phoned two players to let them know they were on the team. Doan was one, because he is one of Gretz's Coyotes, and Stevie Y was the second...because Gretz has so much respect for him. That speaks volumes to me, although I would have picked Rick Nash or Vinny LeCav.

Old
05-17-2004, 11:35 AM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
Yes I have you arrogant *i**. And Yzerman isn't the only leader on the team. There are about 9 captains on the team, lots of veterans... Yzerman is not the key. Trust me.
Seems like you haven't just don't realize what a player like Yzerman can bring to a locker room. Yzerman has played through extreme pain, knows what it takes to win, is a idle to players on the team. He might not be the best, but who says he plays? Who says he gets a ton of ice time? I just think you don't see that Yzerman impact like I do.

Old
05-17-2004, 11:49 AM
Tuggy
Homer glasses on

vCash: 1484
I don't understand why people are saying Draper and Maltby shouldn't be there. This squad is going to have 3 outstanding scoring lines and an elite checking line, what is wrong with that Plus they are the BEST penalty killers in the NHL and they do have penalties at the World Cup. Think about, you are playing Sweden, they send out Sundin, Forsberg and Naslund for the PP. Who are you going to want out there? hmmmm? You want the BEST penalty killers you can possibly have out there.

Oh and espion....nice avatar, I wonder where you got it

Old
05-17-2004, 01:11 PM
Sir Habalot

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY_NiNe
Seems like you haven't just don't realize what a player like Yzerman can bring to a locker room. Yzerman has played through extreme pain, knows what it takes to win, is a idle to players on the team. He might not be the best, but who says he plays? Who says he gets a ton of ice time? I just think you don't see that Yzerman impact like I do.

Everything you say is certainly true, but this isn't a team that needs his leadership in the locker room. All of these guys are winners, and all of them knows what it will take to win. I could be a captain of this team, and they would still be successful. Yzerman is a good player - period. He's a team guy who won't do anything to hurt the team. On ice leadership? Yes. Locker room leadership? No.

Old
05-17-2004, 03:08 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWT Habs Fan
This team is going to take penalties, so why not have a duo that are among the best in the business on the PK. Gretz is really high on the contribution that these guys bring and he mentioned in an interview that these two and Doan have some good chemistry going from past international gigs, and I trust his instinct on this.

As for Stevie Y, in that same interview Gretz said he only phoned two players to let them know they were on the team. Doan was one, because he is one of Gretz's Coyotes, and Stevie Y was the second...because Gretz has so much respect for him. That speaks volumes to me, although I would have picked Rick Nash or Vinny LeCav.

Yeah, this is a good point, they both work like dogs. They might have some other specific line match-ups in mind as well.

Old
05-17-2004, 04:56 PM
not quite yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy
I don't understand why people are saying Draper and Maltby shouldn't be there. This squad is going to have 3 outstanding scoring lines and an elite checking line, what is wrong with that Plus they are the BEST penalty killers in the NHL and they do have penalties at the World Cup. Think about, you are playing Sweden, they send out Sundin, Forsberg and Naslund for the PP. Who are you going to want out there? hmmmm? You want the BEST penalty killers you can possibly have out there.

Oh and espion....nice avatar, I wonder where you got it
it gives siezures to people... I like that.

Closed Thread