HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

What would it take to deal Ryan Smyth?

Closed Thread

Old
05-16-2004, 08:30 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

vCash: 500
What would it take to deal Ryan Smyth?

If Phoenix offered the #5 overall pick, Krys Kolanos, and Igor Knyazev for Ryan Smyth and the #36 overall pick, would that do it, or would there be rioting in the streets? Keep in mind, Andrew Ladd will be available at #5, and he draws many comparisons to Smyth.

Old
05-16-2004, 08:32 PM
Mizral

Ladd may be taken before #5 first off,

Second off, I personally wouldn't do it for one simple reason:

I wouldn't want to see Smyth on the Yotes. Don't help that team out. Edmonton will be competing with them.

Maybe if it was another team.

Also, I'm not sure it's the kind of deal the Oilers should make, especially in this craptastic draft. Last year? Sure. This year? I dunno. The Oilers want to make the playoffs next year, and Smyth is their franchise player.

Old
05-16-2004, 08:50 PM
windowlicker

The short answer. No.

The long answer - Kevin Lowe wont move Smyth to a rival and not unless its an above-average overpayment due to the intangibles Smyth brings to the table other than his offensive production. Addressing team needs aside, there was speculation that we could get Havlat from Ottawa for Smyth. Do you think Ottawa would move Havlat for a #5 overall pick '04, Krys Kolanos, and Igor Knyazev?

Plus, if there is an upcoming season, there's a good chance Smyth may be able to play with a real bonafide 1'st line center again, something he has'nt been able to do since Weight left. That is something I'd like to see.

Old
05-16-2004, 09:01 PM
oil slick
HFBoards Sponsor

I think that talent wise, the offer is great for the Oilers, but I'm not sure that it's feasible for Lowe to do.

He has been saying 'post CBA' for so long, that he cannot trade the face of the Oilers at the moment, without bringing in comparable talent that is just as NHL ready. Smyth is not everyones favorite (Walsher etc.), but the guy is still the Oilers only star player, and I think the fans would be too pissed.

Old
05-16-2004, 09:08 PM
Seachd

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt
If Phoenix offered the #5 overall pick, Krys Kolanos, and Igor Knyazev for Ryan Smyth and the #36 overall pick, would that do it, or would there be rioting in the streets? Keep in mind, Andrew Ladd will be available at #5, and he draws many comparisons to Smyth.
And the Oilers don't have pick #36 (as of now, anyway).

Old
05-16-2004, 09:28 PM
Mr Sakich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
:

I wouldn't want to see Smyth on the Yotes. Don't help that team out. Edmonton will be competing with them.

nice observation.

when i first read the original post, I sat back and thought about it for a minute. Value wise, it is pretty close but you killed the idea in one sentance.

Old
05-16-2004, 09:31 PM
speeds

If Kolanos were Taffe, I would think pretty hard about it.

edit: I would think about it anyways.

Last edited by speeds: 05-16-2004 at 09:42 PM.
Old
05-16-2004, 09:44 PM
Mizral

I think the Oilers ought to look at their competition very carefully, Mr. Sakich. It seems to me that LA and Phoenix are on the fast track to becoming playoff teams very soon. I think soon enough the Oilers will be competing with the Stars, Blues, and such rather than the those teams - and I mean that in a negative way (Stars and Blues falling, other teams rising). Because of that, I think the Oilers need to keep pace at least with teams like LA, and trading off assets like Smyth to those teams for future assets could very easily cost the Oilers a playoff spot or two down the road.

Old
05-16-2004, 09:46 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeds
If Kolanos were Taffe, I would think pretty hard about it.

edit: I would think about it anyways.

I wouldn't. If Kolanos was Mara I would consider it. If we can get a top player like Havlat for Smyth I would go for that. the 5th is tempting but it is such a crap shoot. Barker I am not sold on, Ladd and Olesz I am not 100% sure on either. WE would be giving up the playoffs this year for sure and I am not sure I am willing to do that.

We would need an impact player back

Old
05-16-2004, 10:48 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

I thought the Oilers had the Rangers' second rounder.

Old
05-16-2004, 10:53 PM
Seachd

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt
I thought the Oilers had the Rangers' second rounder.
No, they have either their own 2nd or a compensatory pick for losing Leetch (I'm not sure which pick officially went to the Rangers).

Old
05-17-2004, 02:11 AM
YKOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by windowlicker
Plus, if there is an upcoming season, there's a good chance Smyth may be able to play with a real bonafide 1'st line center again, something he has'nt been able to do since Weight left. That is something I'd like to see.
It isn't just the chance to be playing with a legit #1 center - it is also the chance to be playing one-line behind him. If Nedved and Smyth are on different lines because they have better chemistry with different linemates then one of them will benefit from facing lesser opposition.

Seeing as teams usually key their checkers on the #1 center that would potentially leave Smyth in the clear. It would be nice to have TWO scoring lines again...

YKOil

Old
05-17-2004, 03:26 AM
Vyse64
N64

vCash: 611
Send a message via MSN to Vyse64
Smyth Horcoff will be back together for sure

the most likely lines would be what the oilers used at season's end

Torres Nedved Dvorak
Smyth Horcoff York

would love to have York back at LW but that would leave Torres back on the 4th line

Old
05-17-2004, 09:44 AM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd
No, they have either their own 2nd or a compensatory pick for losing Leetch (I'm not sure which pick officially went to the Rangers).
they dealt their own pick to NY and hope the compensatory one is a second to replace it. It might be a third but should be a second.

Old
05-17-2004, 11:26 AM
The Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HemskyFreak83
Smyth Horcoff will be back together for sure

the most likely lines would be what the oilers used at season's end

Torres Nedved Dvorak
Smyth Horcoff York

would love to have York back at LW but that would leave Torres back on the 4th line
I like these lines:

Smyth-Nedved-Hemsky

A classic set up man, scorer, and net crasher line. I think Hemsky would really bounce back if he's playing with Smyth and Nedved.

Torres-York-Dvorak

This line played great for us last year.

Old
05-17-2004, 11:59 AM
misfit

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rage
I like these lines:

Smyth-Nedved-Hemsky

A classic set up man, scorer, and net crasher line. I think Hemsky would really bounce back if he's playing with Smyth and Nedved.

Torres-York-Dvorak

This line played great for us last year.

Only having York at center would mean one of Horcoff, Stoll, or Reasoner not playing in Favor of someone like Chimmera or having one of them move to the wing (and seeing that Reasoner and Stoll are our 2 best face-off men would mean Horcoff beeing on the wing or in the pressbox)

If your first line was going to be Smyth - Nedved - Hemsky (which I like a lot, by the way) I'd have the others looking like this:

York - Horcoff* - Dvorak
Moreau - Reasoner - Pisani
Torres - Stoll* - Laraque

* - could be alternated depending on what works better

Last edited by misfit: 05-17-2004 at 05:45 PM. Reason: can't spell
Old
05-17-2004, 12:08 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit

York - Horcoff* - Dvorak

I'd actually prefer this:

York - Reasoner - Dvorak
Moreau - Horcoff* - Pisani

* - could be alternated depending on what works better.

I think you have to see if Reasoner is ready to break-out offensively.

Old
05-17-2004, 12:14 PM
The Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit
Only having York at center would mean one of Horcoff, Stoll, or Reasoner not playing in Favor of someone like Chimmera or having one of them move to the wing (and seeing that Reasoner and Stoll are our 2 best face-off men would mean Horcoff beeing on the wing or in the pressbox)

If your first line was going to be Smyth - Nedved - Hemsky (which I like a lot, by the way) I'd have teh others looking like this:

York - Horcoff* - Dvorak

I would see no problem in having Horcoff play wing, and while I know York isn't an ideal centre, I would like to play him there so that we have six truly offensive players in our top two lines. Horcoff isn't a "truly offensive" player, imo. Maybe these can be our lines:

Smyth-Nedved-Hemsky
Torres-York-Dvorak
Moreau-Reasoner-Pisani
Horcoff-Stoll-Laraque

PB: Chimera, Isbister/Rita

Old
05-17-2004, 02:56 PM
Jamie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rage
I would see no problem in having Horcoff play wing, and while I know York isn't an ideal centre, I would like to play him there so that we have six truly offensive players in our top two lines. Horcoff isn't a "truly offensive" player, imo. Maybe these can be our lines:

Smyth-Nedved-Hemsky
Torres-York-Dvorak
Moreau-Reasoner-Pisani
Horcoff-Stoll-Laraque

PB: Chimera, Isbister/Rita
That's pretty much what I would do with lines to start with as well. Obviouslly some players will get hot, and others cold, and force line changes, but to start that looks good. I would change it though a bit and get Isbister on there where Pisani is and play him 4th line. Isbister is making to much money to be PB, we really have to give him a shot or let him loose. There is no point on re-inking him and then not play him. He needs his shot to prove something still IMO, and if not, then don't sign him at all. I would actually rotate him with Hemsky on the top line as well, as there will be plenty of times where Hemsky will be cold I'm sure.

Old
05-17-2004, 03:03 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

I still like this

Smyth - Nedved - Dvorak
Torres - Horcoff - York
Isbister - Reasoner - Hemsky
Moreau - Stoll - Pisani/Laraque

Those are still my picks...

Old
05-17-2004, 03:46 PM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

Ive said it all along, and its nice to see a few of you that agree with me. did Hmesky get one shift with Nedved this yr? I dont recall, I think that although Nedved and Dvorak play well together, Dvorak has thew ability to play well with anyone, Let Nedved play with Hemsky and he they can probably create more offense, and give Hemsky a finisher to pass to. Id like to see these lines...

Smyth-Nedved-Hemsky
Torres-York-Dvorak
Moreau-Reasoner-Pisani
Horcoff-Stoll-Isbister
PB: Laraque, Chimera

Old
05-17-2004, 03:49 PM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

getting back on topic... Smyth is untouchable. and he's our "Mr. Intageable".

Old
05-17-2004, 05:11 PM
Mizral

I"ve got things like this:

Torres/Nedved/Dvorak
Smyth/York/Hemsky (I like York and Smyth together)
Moreau/Reasoner/Pisani
Isbister/Stoll/Laraque
Ex; Horcoff

Horcoff becomes trade bait, hopefully Isbister too. Unless you'd rather move Reasoner, which actually I would prefer; I feel Horcoff is a better player than Reasoner, though there are plenty of people who are gaga over Reasoner at the moment who no doubt think otherwise. Use Horcoff & Izzy to pick up some help at the blueline.

Old
05-17-2004, 05:34 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
I don't see any "trades" by this team. Really, I think Lowe wants finaly stick with what he's got and let them grow. I don't see them adding anything of signifigance to the blueline unless Smith is moved. But here's my lines:

Dvorak-Nedved-Hemsky
Torres-York-Smyth
Moreau-Reasoner-Horcoff
Isbister-Stoll-Laraque

Dvo has played LW before -and even if he hasn't - it's not like he's the kind of guy that scores goals by coming down the ice with his blazing speed and lets a slapper go and scores. In fact, I think he'd be good on the off wing as with his speed he could get in great position for one timers. After that, I think it's fairly obvious. Having Raffi and Smytty work the boards for York would be a great line -all three are fairly feisty on the puck and all three can finish - while York and Smyth are the better playmakers. Isbister, I think will take Pisani's top nine spot this year if he can stay healthy.

Old
05-17-2004, 07:05 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
I"ve got things like this:

Torres/Nedved/Dvorak
Smyth/York/Hemsky (I like York and Smyth together)
Moreau/Reasoner/Pisani
Isbister/Stoll/Laraque
Ex; Horcoff

I actually like these lines. It keeps the Nedved-Dvo pairing in place and keeps the Smyth-Hemsky in place. York's hard work ethic and defensive abilities will make up for mistakes by Hemsky.

Closed Thread