HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

(HF Story) Mid-May Oiler Update

Closed Thread

Old
05-16-2004, 07:03 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
(HF Story) Mid-May Oiler Update

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...readed&order=0

I've touched on some of this stuff in recent threads due to the fact that Mr. Brownlee mentioned them in his paper on Saturday and many of you expressed your comments then.

More or less, this is basically a recap of my segment on Total Sports with Bob Stauffer from this past Thursday. For those of you in the listening area that haven't tuned into the show (every Thursday at 6:30) this is exactly the kinds of things we talk about on a regular basis. Also, with the draft rapidly approaching, that has been a focus the last few weeks too, as was the top 20 re-ranking.

tune in.

Old
05-16-2004, 07:20 PM
Lowetide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Flaming
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...readed&order=0

I've touched on some of this stuff in recent threads due to the fact that Mr. Brownlee mentioned them in his paper on Saturday and many of you expressed your comments then.

More or less, this is basically a recap of my segment on Total Sports with Bob Stauffer from this past Thursday. For those of you in the listening area that haven't tuned into the show (every Thursday at 6:30) this is exactly the kinds of things we talk about on a regular basis. Also, with the draft rapidly approaching, that has been a focus the last few weeks too, as was the top 20 re-ranking.

tune in.

Always tune in, Guy.

The whole Mikhnov story is like a ringing in your ears. Starts off low, you can barely hear it and before long its all you hear. I am an Oilers fan, and will be long after Mikhnov's future has been decided, but there's no real way to look at this and say its been handled well. He's staying ANOTHER year in Russia, the guy who is offering him a contract has more money than God, and we didn't find out he was blind as a bat until he came here for a weekend.

Jesus Murphy.

Old
05-16-2004, 07:37 PM
Elvis Lives

Mid May Update

Guy: Like I said in the other thread, it'll show up in The Sun under Brownlee's byline . . . :lol :lol

Old
05-16-2004, 10:09 PM
Seachd

vCash: 50
Quote:
The meetings will take place at Kevin Lowe’s summer retreat in Salmon Arm, British Columbia and involve the entire staff of scouts.
I would kill to be a fly on the wall at that thing.

Old
05-16-2004, 10:24 PM
Lowetide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd
I would kill to be a fly on the wall at that thing.

Years ago, Baseball America followed the St. Louis Cardinals leading up to the baseball draft (they took Dmitri Young that season). It was very interesting, but the dialogue was so full of vague statements like "I saw him good" and "I think once he fills out he'll add a foot to his fastball."

I know what those things mean, but as a fan you'd like the guy to be a little more certain. The actual prospect sheet baseball scouts put in on each guy is actually very thorough, with a multitude of categories being graded out (hitting, hitting for power, speed, etc). Darryl Strawberry's was just silly good, but then again so was Shawon Dunston's.

Old
05-17-2004, 01:34 AM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis Lives
Guy: Like I said in the other thread, it'll show up in The Sun under Brownlee's byline . . . :lol :lol

I'll take what your saying as a compliment but at the same time it sounds insulting to Mr. Brownlee.

Let's put it this way, Robin Brownlee doesn't need to steal tidbits from me. In my opinion, he's the man in this city and the fact that I have the opportunity to talk with him once in a while, I consider that a treat and an honor. Robin's been very kind to me this past year and has treated me like an equal even though I'm the new kid on the block. He's class all the way and he knows his stuff so to think I got some kind of scoop is probably pretty unrealistic.

If he happened to have heard my 10 minutes on the radio and took it from there, I'm sure it's a rarity and I certainly don't have anything bad to say about it.

Old
05-17-2004, 01:37 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide
Always tune in, Guy.

The whole Mikhnov story is like a ringing in your ears. Starts off low, you can barely hear it and before long its all you hear. I am an Oilers fan, and will be long after Mikhnov's future has been decided, but there's no real way to look at this and say its been handled well. He's staying ANOTHER year in Russia, the guy who is offering him a contract has more money than God, and we didn't find out he was blind as a bat until he came here for a weekend.
I don't blame the Oilers for not knowing he had bad vision. Who's to say that didn't develop since the draft? I blame the Sibir and their training staff who clearly had their heads up their dumpers. In fact, I congratulate the Oilers for noticing in one practice what the Russians didn't in 3 years!

If there's no NHL next year, it would have been nice to see him in Toronto but playing on a top team in Russia might be as good for him.

-"Half glass full" Guy.

Old
05-17-2004, 05:12 PM
theoil

Quote:
If there's no NHL next year, it would have been nice to see him in Toronto but playing on a top team in Russia might be as good for him.

-"Half glass full" Guy.
I'm a "half glass full" guy on this one too. I'd rather see him at the Oiler's training camp but there I'm kind of a "half glass empty" kind of guy. I don't think I will be sneaking out of work this September to make the trek to Sherwood Park. That will be a huge disappointment.

Old
05-17-2004, 07:17 PM
Lowetide

Quote:
I don't blame the Oilers for not knowing he had bad vision. Who's to say that didn't develop since the draft? I blame the Sibir and their training staff who clearly had their heads up their dumpers. In fact, I congratulate the Oilers for noticing in one practice what the Russians didn't in 3 years

I just think if they're going to spend a first round pick on a European, they might have to be more aggressive about where that player develops. The only two Euros I can think of who have developed recently are Semenov and Hemsky, both of whom came through the CHL (Salmelainen may be the exception, we'll see).

What's a first round pick worth to an organization? A million dollars? Two? I understand its hard to bring everyone over, but a first round pick is gold, as KP said the first three rounds have to work out.

Maybe I'm over-reacting, but I'll bet you a 2-4 that we're all sitting here wondering what line Jesse Niinimaki is playing on this fall, and if he were in Toronto there'd be no doubt at all.

Old
05-17-2004, 09:06 PM
Bohologo

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide
I just think if they're going to spend a first round pick on a European, they might have to be more aggressive about where that player develops.
I think it's a trade-off. Draft a European and you can hold his rights indefinitely, but you can't shepherd their development. Draft a CHL and you run the risk of losing them to the draft as might happen with JDD. Drafting an NCAA kid might be the best of both worlds, unless they sabotage their own development like Caron seems to have done.

Closed Thread