HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Question about Kovalev for the fans

Closed Thread

Old
04-25-2008, 11:16 AM
Cam Neely

vCash: 500
Question about Kovalev for the fans

Obviously I am in enemy territory but I have an honest question about Kovalev. This is not a troll Habs thread as I have a great deal of repsect for players like Koivu, Price and Kotsopolous to name a few. Hopefully the mods see the truth of this question, which is given to spark a hockey discussion.....

I see that some fans on the board don't know about Kovalev's past antics in the playoffs of faking injuries, quitting on plays, showing up when he feels like it, etc, etc...the kind of stuff that doesnt get you very far in the NHL except when you have amazing talent like Kovalev.

My question is this....besides the fact that he is an amazing player and having a great year for your team, do any of you who remember the old Kovalev ever wish just a small part of you that he was not on your team? In other words, do any of you dislike his past character enough to not want to cheer for him just a little bit?

I think it is similar in ways to Avery, who is much more of a jerk, I know---but would you cheer for Avery as soon as he put your team's jersey on even though you did not like his character?

Personally, I would find it extremely hard to cheer for someone like Avery or Kovalev given what I know of their character. I certainly would have a hard time stomaching the idea of seeing them raising a Stanley Cup while wearing my team's jersey. I'm just wondering if there are any Habs fans out there who feel the same way- I bet there are some.

Old
04-25-2008, 11:21 AM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
LOL, what a terrible post.

Old
04-25-2008, 11:24 AM
SpreeEndaz

Richards was standing still in Kovalev's face and his stick was reaching out, Kovalev tried to do a quick cut knowing fair well he'll get tripped and provoked a penalty. There's a difference between faking a penalty and provoking it. If you think that my answer is off-topic because that's not your main point, well I feel that if you made that post today, it more be some correlation of yesterday's events that you didn't quite understand it seems.

Old
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam Neely View Post
Obviously I am in enemy territory but I have an honest question about Kovalev. This is not a troll Habs thread as I have a great deal of repsect for players like Koivu, Price and Kotsopolous to name a few. Hopefully the mods see the truth of this question, which is given to spark a hockey discussion.....

I see that some fans on the board don't know about Kovalev's past antics in the playoffs of faking injuries, quitting on plays, showing up when he feels like it, etc, etc...the kind of stuff that doesnt get you very far in the NHL except when you have amazing talent like Kovalev.

My question is this....besides the fact that he is an amazing player and having a great year for your team, do any of you who remember the old Kovalev ever wish just a small part of you that he was not on your team? In other words, do any of you dislike his past character enough to not want to cheer for him just a little bit?

I think it is similar in ways to Avery, who is much more of a jerk, I know---but would you cheer for Avery as soon as he put your team's jersey on even though you did not like his character?

Personally, I would find it extremely hard to cheer for someone like Avery or Kovalev given what I know of their character. I certainly would have a hard time stomaching the idea of seeing them raising a Stanley Cup while wearing my team's jersey. I'm just wondering if there are any Habs fans out there who feel the same way- I bet there are some.

92 points in 108 carreer playoff games. Kovy rules.

'nuff said.

Old
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50

Of course we hate our players.

Old
04-25-2008, 11:25 AM
MtlSportsFan

You obviously don't know much about Kovalev except through the eyes of an oppenent. He has been nothing but a pleasure to have on this team, great attitude...great with the community and the fans.

Overall an easy guy to cheer for.

Old
04-25-2008, 11:25 AM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Avery and Kovalev don't compare at all in character...AT ALL!

Yes last season didn't go well and a lot of frutration was in the air because of the way things went.It's a human feeling that Kovalev mostly went through, he didn't feel wanted and he knew what was the problem so what did he do? He grabbed the bull by the horns and spin everything around. That kind of accomplishment doesn't build character, it shows it.

As regards Avery being on our team, It'd be hard to say whether we'd cheer for him or not, because he can be a good hockey player and a factor in any team, but can also be a real jerk.

Let's say i'd cheer for him when he does his job.

EDIT: ALso he brings more to any community than Avery's clothing brand.

Old
04-25-2008, 11:27 AM
Mike Lalor

your timing is waaayy off. your likely not going to find a single person (men, women and children) in montreal who doesnt love Kovalev right now.

Old
04-25-2008, 11:27 AM
Jee
@DeuxiemeJumeau

We won't care that much when he will lift the cup.

Old
04-25-2008, 11:31 AM
Chomsky

This is pretty ******* close to trolling.

Old
04-25-2008, 11:31 AM
TheCH*

People do know about his past "antics". In fact, it has been beaten to death. The slash he took against boston was not an antic, his whole hand was black and blue from that. Its easy to sit on your couch and say "omg, what and idiot". But i forgive him as its just a natural reaction to fling your hand/wrist like that after getting hit in an odd spot with a slash there.

As for the one where he held his back i think it was? I don't know nothing about that. But the only thing i do know is that it was years and years and years ago and there is no point in dwelling on the past for such an isolated incident.

Old
04-25-2008, 11:32 AM
DougHarvey

The old Kovy was a bit of a child, but he has matured , that he is by far the leader of this club and leads by example. He has really shown us this year what his talent is all about.

Old
04-25-2008, 11:33 AM
Bill McNeal

Just because you wrap a turd in aluminum foil doesn't mean you can pass it off here as a chocolate bar...

Old
InPriceWeTrust

Kovalev is the man.

Avery is the man.

Stupid thread.

Old
Mue

Quote:

Do you cheer for Marc Savard?

Old
04-25-2008, 11:34 AM
Puckhead58*

Quote:

Sounds like a terrible post from a bitter Bruins fan to me!!!

Kovalev is a great player and he has been since he came to Montreal, dispite last season. Anybody can have an off year....you just have to learn to accept it and move on. Last year Kovy had an off year but he turned it around this year and lead the team the whole season long. He lead the way when our other leaders struggled....and for that I think he deserves a hell of a lot of credit.

If this post is regarding the tripping penalty Mike Richards got last night then your way out of line. Kovalev didn't dive, he simple provoked the penalty. He had the puck and tried to make a move like he always does but this time he knew that Richards was in a vulnerable position and he took advantage of it....and that is simply just smart hockey.

Say what you want about Kovalev, but the fact remains that he is one of the most skilled players in the NHL....PERIOD! And I would rather have him on my team than to have to play against him.

Old
04-25-2008, 11:38 AM
Claimed Off Waivers

I have to admit that I hated him before this year because of his laziness. He would play 1 good game then take the next 3 off. This year he has really made me eat alot of crow.

Old
04-25-2008, 11:41 AM
Puckhead58*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mue View Post

EXACTLY!!!!! Savard does his fair share of diving too...but Bruins fans choose to ignore that fact.

Anybody who thinks that Savard didn't dive when Begin hit him in the last game of the season is a moron. Begin hardly touched him and Savard dove into the ice like he was shot out of a cannon. The fact that he got a broken bone in his back is likely due to the exaggerated dive he made when he felt Begin touch him, hoping that he would draw a penalty.
There are a couple of reasons there was no penalty called on that play, 1) Begin didn't hit Savard hard enough to deserve a penalty and 2) Savard is known as a diver and the refs knew he dove so they didn't make a call.

Old
04-25-2008, 11:41 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Like has been mentioned your timing is very bad. Kovalev has been a great player and influence on our team all season. Because of this I would be very surprised if you would find a Hab fan that would be willing to step forward and say they want him off the team.

Now if you asked this question last season, you might receive some different answers.

Edit: As for the Avery comparison, not a very good choice IMO. But if Avery were to put on a Hab jersey, yes I would cheer for him. Just like I cheer for anyone else wearing the CH.

04-25-2008, 11:42 AM
AH

Quote:

My goodness, Bruins fans are such drama queens. 'Oh I would not be able to stomach it if he were on my team winning the Cup'....

What a load of horse manure. Get over yourself ...

The morality on these boards is killing me.

Old
04-25-2008, 11:43 AM
Capitano

This team isn't even close to being as good as it is without Alex Kovalev.

It's easy for people to point fingers I guess - I personally don't care what people think. Kovy is a great hab.

Old
04-25-2008, 11:46 AM
Judge Sauer*

Seems like someone is coming in to stir some internal **** on the Habs board.

Old
04-25-2008, 11:47 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mue View Post
Close thread!

Old
04-25-2008, 11:49 AM
TheGoalJudge

You would have a hard time stomaching the idea of Kovalev winning a cup on your favourite team? What did he do to you lol?

Comparing him to Avery is ridiculous.

Old
04-25-2008, 11:52 AM
Puckhead58*

I got banned from the Bruins boards for saying similar things about the Bruins. This is a rotten thread!!! Close it up!

Closed Thread