HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Question about Kovalev for the fans

Closed Thread

Old
04-25-2008, 11:55 AM
Stradale

vCash: 500
Is this thread serious?

Kovalev was never known for disappearing in the playoff.

Talking about disappearing in the playoff, would you take Thorthon back?

Old
04-25-2008, 11:55 AM
HotPie

Anyone telling me that they wouldn't cheer for Kovalev if he were on their team after the season and the impact he's had are ****ing full of themselves.

Old
04-25-2008, 11:57 AM
AH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckhead58 View Post
I got banned from the Bruins boards for saying similar things about the Bruins. This is a rotten thread!!! Close it up!
naaaahhh leave it open Mods.

These Boston nannies need to get something thru their heads.

GET OVER IT.

Old
xeric716x
Born To Expire

Richards should have never stopped moving

Old
Kriss E

loll..
You think Kovalev is the only one in the league to have done this?..
Would you like Kovalev if he was on YOUR team getting close to 80pts during the season and making his line one of the best in the league?

What about JAGR?..look at his days in WSH...would you like him on YOUR team?..so many other examples of players that at some point in their career were not so great..

Would you take Heatly on your team when he caused the death of a teammate for DUI???..

Your post is pure crap buddy..
If Avery comes in any team to wear its Jersey with Pride and give it his all..then of course fans will love him.

Old
04-25-2008, 11:58 AM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam Neely View Post
Obviously I am in enemy territory but I have an honest question about Kovalev. This is not a troll Habs thread as I have a great deal of repsect for players like Koivu, Price and Kotsopolous to name a few. Hopefully the mods see the truth of this question, which is given to spark a hockey discussion.....

I see that some fans on the board don't know about Kovalev's past antics in the playoffs of faking injuries, quitting on plays, showing up when he feels like it, etc, etc...the kind of stuff that doesnt get you very far in the NHL except when you have amazing talent like Kovalev.

My question is this....besides the fact that he is an amazing player and having a great year for your team, do any of you who remember the old Kovalev ever wish just a small part of you that he was not on your team? In other words, do any of you dislike his past character enough to not want to cheer for him just a little bit?

I think it is similar in ways to Avery, who is much more of a jerk, I know---but would you cheer for Avery as soon as he put your team's jersey on even though you did not like his character?

Personally, I would find it extremely hard to cheer for someone like Avery or Kovalev given what I know of their character. I certainly would have a hard time stomaching the idea of seeing them raising a Stanley Cup while wearing my team's jersey. I'm just wondering if there are any Habs fans out there who feel the same way- I bet there are some.
I'm ready to give you the benefit of (the) doubt.

This said, Kovalev has like 92 points in 108 playoffs games, maybe even more, which makes him a good playoff performer regardless of era, and a great playoff performer for his era. A few character flaws (he's nicknamed the Artist, and in this sense, his character is pretty much the one of an artist as well) here and there, but his legacy in regards to playoffs will be about a guy who could really deliver in playoffs. As a regular GM in ATD's, that's the legacy he has over there, and there aren't many Habs fans as GM's. Extremely tough to argue with his numbers.

You could also ask the question to Rangers fans - cause he actually won the cup there.

His major flaw is being a bit high-maintenance and inconsistent IMO. Wouldn't have problems seeing him lift the cup at all (hey, we had Richer in the past!).

Old
04-25-2008, 11:59 AM
Stephen Locke*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotPie View Post
Anyone telling me that they wouldn't cheer for Kovalev if he were on their team after the season and the impact he's had are ****ing full of themselves.
Or they're basically just blind haters who can't give credit when it's due.

Old
SmurfsFTW
DD for Masterton

Quote:
Obviously I am in enemy territory but I have an honest question about Kovalev. This is not a troll Habs thread as I have a great deal of repsect for players like Koivu, Price and Kotsopolous to name a few. Hopefully the mods see the truth of this question, which is given to spark a hockey discussion.....

I see that some fans on the board don't know about Kovalev's past antics in the playoffs of faking injuries, quitting on plays, showing up when he feels like it, etc, etc...the kind of stuff that doesnt get you very far in the NHL except when you have amazing talent like Kovalev.

My question is this....besides the fact that he is an amazing player and having a great year for your team, do any of you who remember the old Kovalev ever wish just a small part of you that he was not on your team? In other words, do any of you dislike his past character enough to not want to cheer for him just a little bit?

I think it is similar in ways to Avery, who is much more of a jerk, I know---but would you cheer for Avery as soon as he put your team's jersey on even though you did not like his character?

Personally, I would find it extremely hard to cheer for someone like Avery or Kovalev given what I know of their character. I certainly would have a hard time stomaching the idea of seeing them raising a Stanley Cup while wearing my team's jersey. I'm just wondering if there are any Habs fans out there who feel the same way- I bet there are some.
If you look at his career PO stats, Kovalev is almost a PPG player, with almost 100 games played, that shows he's showing up almost EVERY games, so I dunno why you said that 'he shows when he feels like it'... Yes he's kind of a diver (sometimes), fakes injuries, and even if he struggled last year and looked like a finished player, this year he said he changed his mentality and is playing with the heart of a youngster in his first playoffs appearance. He's our most valuable player and I don't know any Habs fan that don't recognize his dedication to the team this year.

As for the Avery thing, I think I would like to have Avery on my team, because he's a good hockey player, a good agitator, and can get under the skin of a whole team sometimes, wich helps his team a lot. He's really an asset for the Rangers, and facing them without Avery would really make a difference. Personnaly I don't care how much a trash talker he is, or whatever comments he already made, what he does on the ice is what's important after all, and if he brings any kind of success to the Rangers, I wouldn't dislike to have him on the Habs roster. But as he is a Rangers, I have to admit that I love to hate him, and seeing him crushed in a clean hit would really make me happy.

All valuable players are hated by opposing teams, as much as I'd like to have a Chara or a Pronger on my team, I hate those guys from the bottom of my heart.

Old
David_99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckhead58 View Post
I got banned from the Bruins boards for saying similar things about the Bruins. This is a rotten thread!!! Close it up!
You can get banned for sneezing on the Bruins board. I got a warning for asking a question.

Old
04-25-2008, 12:02 PM
Turbo

This is not trolling?

Like was eloquently said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogurt
Just because you wrap a turd in aluminum foil doesn't mean you can pass it off here as a chocolate bar...

Old
04-25-2008, 12:07 PM
Guy Germaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogurt View Post
Just because you wrap a turd in aluminum foil doesn't mean you can pass it off here as a chocolate bar...
DAAMN! I knew there was something wrong with that OH Henry. and I wondered why the peanuts were mushy.

Old
04-25-2008, 12:11 PM

I have just one thing to say:

NANANANA NANANANA HEY HEY HEY GOODBYE!!!

Old
04-25-2008, 12:18 PM
Erik Estrada
One Country United!

Quote:

Old
04-25-2008, 12:18 PM
dutchy29

Any player that plays with passion, scores clutch goals, and finds ways to win for the sake of his team, is alright by me. I may have had a few issues with him last season as he underachieved horribly but hes back on track and it sounds like someone is a little bit jealous.

Old
04-25-2008, 12:20 PM
Erik Estrada
One Country United!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchy29 View Post
Any player that plays with passion, scores clutch goals, and finds ways to win for the sake of his team, is alright by me. I may have had a few issues with him last season as he underachieved horribly but hes back on track and it sounds like someone is a little bit jealous.
C'mon he's not jealous at all. Everything he said seems alright to me.

Old
04-25-2008, 12:21 PM
CareyClutch
Doing the job

Send a message via MSN to CareyClutch
Quote:

Old
04-25-2008, 12:22 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

vCash: 1000
To the OP i ask "Do you still like Lucic even if you know he's a cross dresser?"

Old
04-25-2008, 12:23 PM
AH

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchy29 View Post
These trolls act like they have not done anything themselves at the age of 21 which was a mistake or morally wrong (I am talking about Kovalev's swan dive in 1995 vs Quebec).

As for the 2004 slashing incident vs Boston, he got hurt and lost the puck...WOW, big freaking deal. They still won the series.

Old
04-25-2008, 12:26 PM
Erik Estrada
One Country United!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AH View Post
These trolls act like they have not done anything themselves at the age of 21 which was a mistake or morally wrong (I am talking about Kovalev's swan dive in 1995 vs Quebec).

As for the 2004 slashing incident vs Boston, he got hurt and lost the puck...WOW, big freaking deal. They still won the series.
The OP can't be a troll, he specifically said he wasn't.

Old
04-25-2008, 12:27 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

I hate Kovalev.. always have.

But I'm happy that he decided to try this year.. and I'm proud of him and happy to have him on my team.

Old
04-25-2008, 12:41 PM
Rushin Joo

Send a message via MSN to Rushin Joo
Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post

But I'm happy that he decided to try this year.. and I'm proud of him and happy to have him on my team.
Wait, so you love the worst player on the team and you hate the best one?

Thats kinda funny.

Old
04-25-2008, 12:48 PM
Corey

I can't remember Kovalev putting players in the hospital. He was somewhat of a flake in his early days but now he's a mature leader and mentor to the younger russophone Habs. He doesn't fade in playoffs (I'm sure you're aware of what he did to the Bruins in 2004 and 2007). If he says he's in pain after being slashed, I believe him. Maybe some outsiders confuse him with Claude Lemieux, who was also a money player in the playoffs but did some nasty things as well.

Do you think we would be seeing a Montréal-Philadelphia second round series if Kovalev had been playing for the Bruins?

Old
04-25-2008, 12:51 PM
dutchy29

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post

Old
04-25-2008, 12:53 PM
Ross MacLochness

Dammit I thought game 7 meant the end of reading Bruins fan's horse-**** for another year.

Old
04-25-2008, 12:56 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrychair View Post
Wait, so you love the worst player on the team and you hate the best one?

Thats kinda funny.
To be fair, I don't think Kovalev is the best player on the team. I think that award goes to Koivu because he brings it all.

And my MVP for the year was Hamrlik.

But who cares if I hate Kovalev? I hate him for the player he used to be (and still is from time to time).. Brisebois at least tries.. even if he isn't that good anymore.. When Kovalev doesn't try.. he has no excuse.

And face it.. he used to be a diving retard. And he thought he was the greatest player ever and owned his teams. He doesn't.. and he's becoming a better player now.

I also respect what he's done with sick children and charity. He's becoming a better person than he's ever been. Good on him.

But I still know he's great. And I respect him when he works hard and what he's done for the community.

Closed Thread