HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs Fans in Ottawa

Old
04-25-2008, 02:24 PM
kernkraft

vCash: 500
Habs Fans in Ottawa

Hey people, I don't have any pictures or videos, but it was getting pretty loud on campus (OttawaU) last night. A lot of people in Habs jerseys, you could hear the "Ole Ole Ole"s all around. A lot of alcohol (a LOT of girls too for some reason, 2/1 ratio I'd say).

I even saw a big Habs flag hanging from an apartment ledge. Everyone in the different bars were just talking about the game. A lot of people making jokes about the Montreal riots . And that was an hour after the game!

Anyone from here was on campus last night? I'm thinking I'll watch the game there on Saturday. Probably at the Urban Well.

kernkraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 02:26 PM
Mathieu21

Send a message via MSN to Mathieu21
Quote:
Originally Posted by kernkraft View Post
Hey people, I don't have any pictures or videos, but it was getting pretty loud on campus (OttawaU) last night. A lot of people in Habs jerseys, you could hear the "Ole Ole Ole"s all around. A lot of alcohol (a LOT of girls too for some reason, 2/1 ratio I'd say).

I even saw a big Habs flag hanging from an apartment ledge. Everyone in the different bars were just talking about the game. A lot of people making jokes about the Montreal riots . And that was an hour after the game!

Anyone from here was on campus last night? I'm thinking I'll watch the game there on Saturday. Probably at the Urban Well.
Great to have some new fans!

Mathieu21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 02:32 PM
AH

All those who converted to Sens fans when Ottawa first came into the league are slowly coming back. They know where their best interests are in terms of cheering for a REAL team.

AH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 02:38 PM
HF-Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AH View Post
All those who converted to Sens fans when Ottawa first came into the league are slowly coming back. They know where their best interests are in terms of cheering for a REAL team.
This would explain why the hardcore sens fans on this board hate us...They are losing their few fans

HF-Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 02:39 PM
kernkraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathieu21 View Post
Great to have some new fans!
Actually, I've seen quite a lot of Habs fan at random this week. Some guy at the bus stop (on Tuesday!) with a habs jersey and a Stanley Cup replica. People on the bus, etc.

A lot of franco-ontarians are Habs fans. Or it's usually Sens then the Habs. A lot of hatred for the Leafs of course. I've seen quite a lot of habs flags on car here in Orleans too.

Old
04-25-2008, 02:39 PM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by HF-Addict View Post
This would explain why the hardcore sens fans on this board hate us...They are losing their few fans
They all used to be Habs fans in the first place.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 02:49 PM
Bruins

I live in Ottawa, and I am a hardcore Habs fan, and I despise the Sens. People are always shocked when I tell them I live in Ottawa but cheer for the Habs. I was a Habs fan long before the Sens came to town. They always tell me that I should cheer for the Sens because I live here. My response is always "if you moved to Toronto, would you start cheering for the Leafs?" That usually shuts them up.

Bruins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 02:51 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

I live an hour away from Ottawa and hate the leafs and sens, but will, admittedly say, I cheer for them in the playoffs.

It's hard to celebrate when it's really only you

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 03:01 PM
Habs83

I've been a habs fan my whole life and live in Ottawa. I was actually amazed to see so many habs jerseys and flags in the last week or so. People are definitely slowly coming around, and hopefully we'll see the entire city covered in habs jerseys and flags!

Habs83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 03:04 PM
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by AH View Post
There was never any conversion. There were always more Habs fans at Ottawa U then Sens fans. On days where the Habs play the Sens its always a sea of red, white and blue here.

The Gal Pals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 03:07 PM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by airic000 View Post
There was never any conversion. There were always more Habs fans at Ottawa U then Sens fans. On days where the Habs play the Sens its always a sea of red, white and blue here.
I went to Ottawa U back in the day. I was there about a year ago also. Too bad they turned the Knox into a reading lounge. That place was awesome.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 03:09 PM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Had my Habs jersey on all day at work today and have had my Habs flag on my Jeep since my wife gave it to me for my birthday April 10th!!

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 03:12 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
I guess it's not all of Ottawa that hates us

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 03:14 PM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Well I am a Montreal always will be. Lived in Montreal for 30 years and now 1 year in Ottawa.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 03:15 PM
skule123

Another Ottawa-bound Habs fan here. Sens fans are good people for the most part, and most of them are just as willing to watch Habs games with me as I was to watch the Sens games over there - Sens Mile was a pretty sweet place to watch hockey when it was going.

Too bad information highway road rage stemming from HFboards message board anger has turned the Habs/Sens fan relationship into the equivalent of the Hatfield and McCoy family feud (both sides are equivalently guilty here.) But I take solace in the fact that in real life, both groups (beyond your usual 10% simpleton mouthbreather demographic) actually co-exist in peace and harmony until nights when they play each other, beyond some trash talk when they were jockeying for conference/division leads. Even then, the Habs/Sens crowd mix at SBP is a teddy bear picnic compared to when the Leafs/Sens crowds.

skule123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 03:29 PM
LyleOdelein

I live just down the road from Ottawa. There's a lot of Habs fans in my town (and Leafs fans too). I would say that Sens fans are actually outnumbered here, so it's not unusual to see Habs fans in the Valley. Plus, Ottawa U is well known for its francophone population. Not surprised that there's a higher ratio of Habs fans there, than elsewhere in the city.

LyleOdelein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 04:30 PM
jpguy13

That's for sure, I got to Ottawa U right now, and the poor Sens fans are completely outnumbered. When you factor in Toronto Fans as well as Montreal fans, they are outnumbered.

jpguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 04:40 PM
Galchenyuk x 27

vCash: 1976
my friend from Montreal is currently at Ottawa U. and told me last night he had a blast with all the Habs fans on campus.

He said it was starting to get fun but today is his last day so he's comming home to enjoy the rest of the ride with all of us!!

Galchenyuk x 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 04:54 PM
Lemons

I was at Father And Sons watching yesterdays game... not many habs fans there ... the manager there who was behind the bar was cheering on the Flyers and Booing the habs. But he was wearing a Dom Rebel shirt

Hypocrite.

Lemons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 04:57 PM
kernkraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemons View Post
I was at Father And Sons watching yesterdays game... not many habs fans there ... the manager there who was behind the bar was cheering on the Flyers and Booing the habs. But he was wearing a Dom Rebel shirt

Hypocrite.
lol, I went to the Urban Well and a couple of people had their jerseys on. I'm thinking I'll go there on Saturday with my buddies. There's also La Maison but the TVs there aren't too good...

Old
04-25-2008, 05:03 PM
Lemons

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernkraft View Post
lol, I went to the Urban Well and a couple of people had their jerseys on. I'm thinking I'll go there on Saturday with my buddies. There's also La Maison but the TVs there aren't too good...
Im usually around the market area, my appartment is on Lees st. right beside the campus.

Lemons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 05:20 PM
Patty Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Not at all...im born and raised in Ottawa and love the Habs...and hate the Sens!

Patty Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 05:21 PM
Mue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty Roy View Post
Not at all...im born and raised in Ottawa and love the Habs...and hate the Sens!
Did you feel and pressure to convert when Ottawa got a team?

I wonder if I would feel any pressure if my home town ever got a real NHL team?

Mue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 05:22 PM
Patty Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mue View Post
Did you feel and pressure to convert when Ottawa got a team?

I wonder if I would feel any pressure if my home town ever got a real NHL team?
Not really....i was a teenager at the time and had no intention of changing over...really most hockey fans in Ottawa only really started changing to Ottawa when the team got competitive...those first few seasons there were more Habs fans than Sens fans in the old Civic center.

Patty Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 08:41 PM
JMMR

Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
I went to school at Ottawa U.
Lots of habs fans in the city.
I met 417 from hf boards before he moved to Montreal.

JMMR is offline   Reply With Quote