HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Can we stay off other teams boards?

Old
04-25-2008, 04:25 PM
x-bob

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mue View Post
I enjoy other teams forums way too much to stay away from them.

Variety...I like to read both sides.
Exactly! I really like reading other teams forums because it isn't often that you get other peoples opinions on the team. Sure sometimes what they say is just on the heat of the moment and I try to ignore those posts but when someone presents a good argument, well, it gets interesting.

x-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 04:27 PM
Mue

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-bob View Post
Exactly! I really like reading other teams forums because it isn't often that you get other peoples opinions on the team. Sure sometimes what they say is just on the heat of the moment and I try to ignore those posts but when someone presents a good argument, well, it gets interesting.

Yep, there is a good way to engage a conversation in enemy territory and a bad way. Sometimes they are both met with hostility however...but whatever.

Mue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 04:40 PM
mrCoffea*

This is me following your suggestion:

mrCoffea* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 04:48 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fido22 View Post
And I can pee on people, if you let me come.
I do that too. It's involuntary, but nonetheless.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 05:13 PM
optimus2861

I don't agree with staying out of other teams forums completely, but when you see a thread that's a vent-fest, discretion is the better part of valour. Though people on all sides have gotta remember that this is just a game, and that the sun still comes up in the morning, win or lose.

optimus2861 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 05:18 PM
Fido22

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimus2861 View Post
discretion is the better part of valour.
To sin by silence when we should protest makes cowards out of men.

Bah, I never get these things anyway.

Fido22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 05:29 PM
cjbhab
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
It's hard to control everyone,im sure it's mostly the rookie users that are going in there after games..
I agree, I never even go over there to read.

cjbhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 05:44 PM
JustAHabFan

I normally come to read threads from other team boards without posting. In the series against the Bruins, several Bruins posters said that Habs fans are a$$holes, or ******* the Habs fans, and the mods do nothing about it. I feel that I have to response because I am a Habs fans and the comments are directing at me. Does it make me a troll? In my opinion, any person posting thing like that should be banned permanently.

JustAHabFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 05:56 PM
GloryDaze4877
Thanks Burkie!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAHabFan View Post
I normally come to read threads from other team boards without posting. In the series against the Bruins, several Bruins posters said that Habs fans are a$$holes, or ******* the Habs fans, and the mods do nothing about it. I feel that I have to response because I am a Habs fans and the comments are directing at me. Does it make me a troll? In my opinion, any person posting thing like that should be banned permanently.
The comments would probably only be directed at you if you were one of the fans that was posting on their board to begin with? Most Bruins fans love discussing hockey and can do with the occasional opinion from outside to "broaden our horizons". The problem is that I feel like on our board I should be able to make a comment without worrying about a boatload of Habs fans getting their knickers in a bunch.

The other problem is one that several posters were joking about earlier. For some reason, some Habs fans feel like they need to get everybody elses fans to love the Canadiens. While that's an admirable goal, it's probably not a realistic one, and it's also pretty freaking annoying to have to hear about how great the Habs are after they just beat you in a seven game series.

I am not as militant as some regarding my Hab hatred, but I can see how people could get upset. A little common sense goes a long way.

GloryDaze4877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 06:05 PM
JrHockeyFan

I go to some of the other boards just to get the temperature reading every now and then. Most of the time I post nothing. If I see something factual I might reply, but for the most part if the threads are negative that you read, posting anything does not get readily accepted. So why bother unless you like trading insults and getting banned

Most boards are not too bad at all. I find the Sens and Bruins boards to be the most negative. We don't like them much either, so no great loss

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 06:07 PM
JustAHabFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryDaze4877 View Post
The comments would probably only be directed at you if you were one of the fans that was posting on their board to begin with? Most Bruins fans love discussing hockey and can do with the occasional opinion from outside to "broaden our horizons". The problem is that I feel like on our board I should be able to make a comment without worrying about a boatload of Habs fans getting their knickers in a bunch.

The other problem is one that several posters were joking about earlier. For some reason, some Habs fans feel like they need to get everybody elses fans to love the Canadiens. While that's an admirable goal, it's probably not a realistic one, and it's also pretty freaking annoying to have to hear about how great the Habs are after they just beat you in a seven game series.

I am not as militant as some regarding my Hab hatred, but I can see how people could get upset. A little common sense goes a long way.
Thanks for give me perspective from the Bruins fans. I guess in the heat of the battle, you may say a lot of thing you regret later on. What bother me is that I did not see other Bruins fans denounce these behaviour. Instead, quite a few seemed to support it. If my fellow Habs fans is behaving this way, you can be certain that I will criticize them.

Old
04-25-2008, 06:08 PM
Slick Nick

Anyone has a picture of the Ottawa gladiator??

Not for trolling purpuses.

Slick Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 06:08 PM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

I regularly read other boards, but don't post much other than to ask a question about a player or to correct a factual error. No point in giving a negative opinion about a certain aspect of a team since it won't be received well.

Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 06:14 PM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:

Fair enough, but here you are posting and I don't exactly see any folks acting half as poorly as you describe. Something tells me a lot of folks expect, or possibly even want the worst kind of response.

Anyway, I have no problem with Bruins fans visiting and exchanging a few barbs. It is usually all in fun. Unfortunately some folks just have to say some downright ignorant stuff and that is unfortunate.

For example: "Some" Bruins fans were commenting about being "surprised" that there was a power play at the end of the first Habs / Philly game. If they actually saw the penalty and wanted to discuss it that would be cool. Unfortunately "they" didn't sound like they really wanted to talk about that at all. But I guess you'd say it would just be venting instead of discussing facts

Old
04-25-2008, 06:17 PM
mcphee

Quote:

You make a good point. I enjoy the B's board, but then I have no need to make you love the Kostitsyn brothers, though we both know you should.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 06:20 PM
JustAHabFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
You make a good point. I enjoy the B's board, but then I have no need to make you love the Kostitsyn brothers, though we both know you should.
In return, we should adopt Lucic. I really like him as a player.

Old
04-25-2008, 06:21 PM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
I hate the Bruins, Leafs, Flyers and Rangers. But I still respect their players for what they are. What gets my goat is the lack of respect shown for Hab players. Sure hate the team, but at least respect the players for what they are.

Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 06:38 PM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Papa Joe View Post
I hate the Bruins, Leafs, Flyers and Rangers. But I still respect their players for what they are. What gets my goat is the lack of respect shown for Hab players. Sure hate the team, but at least respect the players for what they are.
Exactly. Insulting Lucic for doing a really good job is just as stupid as calling Komi a gutless coward. You know it is not true so why say it.

Liking a player and respecting a player are two different things

Old
04-25-2008, 06:41 PM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Drebin View Post
Seriously. I just came from the Flyers board where there was a thread called Caps>Habs or something like that and I was curious to see why Flyers fans would say or think that. I click on the thread and all I see is a bunch of Habs fans running to their teams rescue...

Same thing with after the Boston series, there seemed to be almost as many Habs fans over there as there were here.

Let them do their trash talking on their own boards, that's what they are there for. We should just stay here and let the habs do the talking on the scoreboard.

Just an opinion.....
How about *you* stay off other teams boards and everybody else can do what they please?

Does that work?

FerrisRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 07:47 PM
Unspoken

The problem is the number of habs fan. However, it's not any of us' individual fault if habs fan are numerous.

I was there. Flyers fan started complaining against the number of habs fans, but every one I read was quite polite. I didN't see any trolling.
Actually, the first Flyers fan to complain even took issue at a thread started by a habs fan that was meant to say good luck and show some respect in total sportsmanship...

Where is the world at if you can't say good luck to your opponents? It's just a common way to be polite and show some respect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Wally View Post

1 - this defines trolling :
[...]
We do not permit team forums to be used to demean/insult the fans of other teams. That is considered trolling. [...]
I'm a long-time lurker, recent poster.

I don't mean to criticize too much with this but I think that part of the rules could be enforced more severely.

Montreal is the oddity in the league for numerous reasons (language, passion of their fans, the media, etc.). Therefore, its fan base is often the subject of harsh comments. I've read on these boards a lot of BS and trash talks against habs fans, Quebec province, french people, Montreal, etc.

I understand that ignorance and cultural misunderstandings lead to these kind of things, but Quebecers are rather touchy regarding ignorant and prejudiced comments against them.

It is normal that if this rule is not enforced properly many of us will find it quite hard to refrain from explaining, informing and ultimately defending ourselves against these attacks.

Last edited by Unspoken: 04-25-2008 at 07:59 PM.
Unspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 08:03 PM
sandman08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fido22 View Post
And I can pee on people, if you let me come.
that post was great.. mostly because my dog did that once, to her vet.. she was a pup. she didnt like him at all, so she also bit him on the nose. he said she should be put to sleep, my mom came home and told me the story, i said he should be put to sleep and we got a new vet, after much thought, he was probably a bruins fan. (im obviously kidding with the last part)

as for the subject at hand, what i would like to know (and ive wondered for quite some time) how could we (as habs fans) dispel the notion that the habs are "small and soft" (or that we're smurfs) or whatever effectively and "safely" (as in, within the rules) when others just dont want to listen? (i obviously dont mean im going to go in after a tough series and say "man.. who's soft now you jerks?" or some idiotic crap like that) but i mean, reading various posts both here and elsewhere you'd think we still were icing the koivu, val bure and oleg petrov line from way back when as all 4 lines and all 6 d-men lol.. its almost comical

sandman08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 08:06 PM
Galchenyuk x 27

vCash: 50
Ill reply to it here because If I do it there Ill get flamed and warned and all that stuff...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm6492 View Post
they got a couple call but we need to play 60 minutes.

Some positives to build on:
-Solid play from 4th line- thoreson and downie are great along teh boards
- We dominated and forced the tempo
- we showed that price was vulnerable
-our PP scored

Negatives:
-our first line struggled- we need briere and prospal to create some chances
- our transition game struggled at times
- we stunk at faceoffs
WHAT is that guy smoking?

Where did they make Price look Vilnerable? One goal was put in by US and another was pure BS, couldnt get any luckier then that.

They dominated the game? what game was he watching?
they dominated parts of the game, just as much as we dominated parts of it.

my jaw dropped when I saw that post, lol

Galchenyuk x 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 08:09 PM
Claimed Off Waivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman08 View Post

as for the subject at hand, what i would like to know (and ive wondered for quite some time) how could we (as habs fans) dispel the notion that the habs are "small and soft" (or that we're smurfs) or whatever effectively and "safely" (as in, within the rules) when others just dont want to listen? (i obviously dont mean im going to go in after a tough series and say "man.. who's soft now you jerks?" or some idiotic crap like that) but i mean, reading various posts both here and elsewhere you'd think we still were icing the koivu, val bure and oleg petrov line from way back when as all 4 lines and all 6 d-men lol.. its almost comical
People who call the Habs a soft team obviously haven't seen many Hab games, I wouldn't worry about them. They'll change their tune when they watch us in the Cup final(yes, we'll be there). The only people who repeatedly call us soft are some Bruin fans, but that's because they refuse to accept the fact that we outhit them in round 1

Claimed Off Waivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 09:51 PM
Teufelsdreck

Originally Posted by mm6492
they got a couple call but we need to play 60 minutes.

Some positives to build on:
-Solid play from 4th line- thoreson and downie are great along teh boards
- We dominated and forced the tempo
- we showed that price was vulnerable
-our PP scored

Negatives:
-our first line struggled- we need briere and prospal to create some chances
- our transition game struggled at times
- we stunk at faceoffs
You forgot to add:
- Dowd allowed Kostopoulos not 1 but 2 rebounds of his own shot in OT--unforgivable
- Bison wasn't exactly a solid wall
- 2 Flyer goals were sheer gifts and are unlikely to be repeated

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 09:57 PM
Stephen Locke*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox View Post
How about *you* stay off other teams boards and everybody else can do what they please?

Does that work?
Exactly.I don't like people trying to dictate the way for others and tell them what to do.Spare us the arrogance please,people here are mature enough to think by themselves.

Stephen Locke* is offline   Reply With Quote