HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Stephane Richer or Pierre Turgeon- Who Had More Pressure/Expectations As A Hab?

Old
04-25-2008, 02:21 PM
Al Bundy*

vCash: 500
Stephane Richer or Pierre Turgeon- Who Had More Pressure/Expectations As A Hab?

Both Stephane Richer and Pierre Turgeon were Canadiens players that I remember hearing that they had to deal with the high expectations/pressure that come from playing for les Glorieux.

They both had some fine seasons (and I REALLY liked Turgeon- just look at my avatar!)

But who had to deal with more pressure/expectations during their time as a Canadiens player- #44 or #77?

Al Bundy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 02:31 PM
Lone Rogue

Richer was treated like the next great clutch goal scorer for the Canadiens, where Turgeon was expected to replace Captain Kirk and lead a talented Habs team back to the Cup.

With the way Turgeon was run out of the city, I'd say his pressure was a lot more.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 02:32 PM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

I loved Turgeon. He was amazing.

As for the question, I was too young to remember Richer's first stint in Montreal.

One Man Rock Band is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 02:39 PM
mcphee

Richer wasn't a 1st round pick, but as he came onto the scene he became a 1st round talent.

When Richer scored 50, fans thought he was a lock for 50 forever, and it just doesn't work like that. I don't think Richer ever wanted to be 'the guy'. I'm not sure that he ever had the type of personality that separates a superstar from a good player.

Turgeon arrived with peressure, he was expected to produce, but as time went on, questions arose about mental toughness, the will to compete when things got tough.

Pressure is there whenever the public knows the talent is there, I couldn't say that either was treated that harshly.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 03:58 PM
LyleOdelein

A captain of the Habs always faces ridiculous pressure. On another note, I can't believe we traded Odelein for broken down Richer. That was the third in a series of Hab heartbreaks for me (Roy/Keane, Desjardins/Leclair/Dionne and the Lyle trade). The Muller/Schneider trade hurt, but Turgeon and Malakhov lessened the blow. What a terrible era though. That was a dark time. My, how things have changed.

LyleOdelein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 04:12 PM
Masao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyle_Odelein View Post
A captain of the Habs always faces ridiculous pressure. On another note, I can't believe we traded Odelein for broken down Richer. That was the third in a series of Hab heartbreaks for me (Roy/Keane, Desjardins/Leclair/Dionne and the Lyle trade). The Muller/Schneider trade hurt, but Turgeon and Malakhov lessened the blow. What a terrible era though. That was a dark time. My, how things have changed.
Couple of months ago I was watching one of my old hockey tapes from the mid 90s and they were reporting on the Roy/Thibault trade. Houle and the media were all bragging that the deal was done as fast as possible to get rid of a bad situation. That really weirded me out.

I mean. Wow. You trade Patrick Roy and you want to seal the deal "as fast as possible."

Masao is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 04:19 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masao View Post
Couple of months ago I was watching one of my old hockey tapes from the mid 90s and they were reporting on the Roy/Thibault trade. Houle and the media were all bragging that the deal was done as fast as possible to get rid of a bad situation. That really weirded me out.

I mean. Wow. You trade Patrick Roy and you want to seal the deal "as fast as possible."

Consider the characters involved: Ron Corey, Réjean Houle, and Mario Tremblay. However, it should be noted that Serge Savard also wanted to trade him.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 04:28 PM
Unspoken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
However, it should be noted that Serge Savard also wanted to trade him.
True, but he would not have done it with a public ultimatum. From what I remembered reading somewhere on Cyberpresse, the deal he was preparing was much more interesting than what Houle got.
I can,t remember the players though...

Unspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 04:32 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Richer had a lot more pressure.... for having to speak to the media!

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 05:13 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyle_Odelein View Post
I think I posted this on another thread recently, but do you know who was offered to Mtl for Odelein ? Houle chose Richer, but there was another offer.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 05:21 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Even though he was captain, Turgeon didn't have much pressure when he was with the Habs. We knew he had talent but he was never seen as more than he was.

On the other hand Richer...boy he was supposed to be the next big thing. When he scored 50 goals it was like the Earth stood still. When Richer came in it was like the first year of Latendresse as far as expectations and people wanting for him the be the "Great French Hope". "Le petit Québecois" making good. People were very hard on him too when they realised Richer lacked the drive associated with his talent.

Turgeon was what we expected him to be, a talented softy.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 05:31 PM
mrCoffea*

Turgeon was my favorite player for such a long time

I was sad when he got traded away

mrCoffea* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 05:42 PM
Fido22

Hello Al Bundy!

I'm still massively upset that Richer didn't become a perennial 50 goal scorer! So, I would say him.

Fido22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 05:42 PM
Masao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unspoken View Post
True, but he would not have done it with a public ultimatum. From what I remembered reading somewhere on Cyberpresse, the deal he was preparing was much more interesting than what Houle got.
I can,t remember the players though...
I think Owen Nolan was mentionned at some point.

Masao is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 05:45 PM
Fido22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masao View Post
I think Owen Nolan was mentionned at some point.
I remember hearing Nolan, Fiset, something or other.

Still, we would have gotten Bulissed.

I also remember Houle being proud that he got Tbo instead of Fiset (probably cost him Nolan though).

All Bulis with that trade.

Fido22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 07:59 PM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Bundy View Post
Both Stephane Richer and Pierre Turgeon were Canadiens players that I remember hearing that they had to deal with the high expectations/pressure that come from playing for les Glorieux.

They both had some fine seasons (and I REALLY liked Turgeon- just look at my avatar!)

But who had to deal with more pressure/expectations during their time as a Canadiens player- #44 or #77?
Stephane Richer, and it's not even close.

Richer was the first (and only) Canadien to score 50 goals since Guy Lafleur did it.

Richer was a home-grown talented drafted and developed by the Habs.

Richer had all the tools - and the early success - to be the next french Canadien superstar to wear the bleu, blanc et rouge.

Richer was part of some very good Canadiens teams. Teams that went to the Final and won Presidents trophy.

Turgeon was merely a hired gun that was acquired to boost the teams offense, played a few seasons then left.

There's no comparison here at all.

FerrisRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 08:34 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
I think I posted this on another thread recently, but do you know who was offered to Mtl for Odelein ? Houle chose Richer, but there was another offer.
I'm afraid to ask, but my curiosity is getting the best of me...?

Le Tricolore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 08:50 PM
V-2 Schneider

I had read that Houle offered Brisebois for Richer, but Lemaire heard about it and told Lou L. that Brise had no character, and asked for Odelein instead.

V-2 Schneider is offline   Reply With Quote