HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

American anthem

Old
04-25-2008, 04:52 PM
Fido22

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan4 View Post
BOOO BOOO to your flagrant circumvention of the profanity filter.
A hole is a hole. What else to call it but by its name?

Fido22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 04:55 PM
Ape Clutch

Send a message via MSN to Ape Clutch Send a message via Yahoo to Ape Clutch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Wally View Post
I guess because even though you have a right to do something.....it may not be the right thing to do.

I still get up on a bus to give my seat to the elderly or a woman. Or hold a door open for somebody. Tough for me to put into words. Then again maybe I'm just a dinosaur and the world has passed me by.
Bingo Exactly Gee Wally It's your right to get up for her. Its not our job to make you get up so she can sit. You do it because its the right thing to do. It's your freedom. It's no longer a freedom if its demanded. I'd rather have freedom and bad behaviour then no freedom but cordiality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
No one's denying an a hole's right to be an a hole, it's just that when said a hole highlights what he is, it then becomes the inalienable right of others to call him an a hole. I know that it seems like I've said a hole a lot, but what the heck....
True enough. But then again what makes him an a hole? The fact he booed another countries anthem? To you he can be an a hole and to others nothing more and nothing less. I can think of worse things people do that warrant that label (a hole)

Ape Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 04:59 PM
habfan4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fido22 View Post
A hole is a hole. What else to call it but by its name?
******* or bunghole

habfan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 05:04 PM
Ape Clutch

Quote:
Let's have some fun with a hypothetical situation.

Next year the league or the 6 Canadian clubs decide that the flags of the Provinces represented in the game will be brought onto the ice during the anthem ceremony (of course the anthem will be sung in both official languages).

So we come upon a Saturday night game featuring the Habs and the Flames in Calgary. The pre-game skate goes off without a hitch, the Habs are jeered and the Flames are greeted with a wave of applause. Now it's anthem time, the announcer makes the usual address (please stand etc...) and the singer followed by a couple of Mounties carrying the Provincial flags make there way out onto the ice. Oh seems the crowd got a little testy when the Quebec flag made it's debut. No matter onto the anthem, oh it seems like the crowd is booing the French portion of the anthem.

Why are they booing? Clearly it must be a group of political science students that are upset with confederation being misbalanced. Maybe they're protesting against Bill 101 (yes I know it's been repealed and replaced with other legislation). I'm sure the Quebec papers, politicians and Quebecers in general would take it in stride, after all they were paying customers. No one would complain that it wasn't appropriate to bring politics into a sporting event, I mean it's their right to protest.

Belaboured point made short, No one appreciates that type of treatment. People with a political point to make should do so in the proper forum.

C'mon man you could bring up the 1st point I made and re-iterated (spelling?) in my 2nd post.

Your right, no one appreciates that type of treatment. However these things can easily be ignored.

P.S. Your bringing up Habs vs. Flames who have iirc no real "Beef" between the teams and fans. Afaik, that Hab fans booed the American anthem vs. the Bruins and the Flyers both of them teams with whom we aren't "buddy buddy".

An interesting side note, instead of going to a Habs vs. Flames game, lets make it a Habs vs. Nordiques back in the good ol' days. Let's say that each City had its own "Song" that was sung before the game started. In the playoffs... do you think the fans from either side would have booed each other?

Answer is more than likely yes.

Brings us to a final point. We should change this Anthem singing to a Team song like they have in Europe for Soccer. Although I'm very proud when they sing the Anthem before a Habs game, I'd probably feel the same thing if it were the Hab's song. Then, if we got booed or booed the other team It'd be alright

Old
04-25-2008, 05:13 PM
habfan4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ape Clutch View Post
...P.S. Your bringing up Habs vs. Flames who have iirc no real "Beef" between the teams and fans. Afaik, that Hab fans booed the American anthem vs. the Bruins and the Flyers both of them teams with whom we aren't "buddy buddy"...
The Flames & Habs hypothetical analogy was not about a hockey rivalry it was about political differences being expressed at a hockey game (booing the US anthem is not about disliking the Flyers, there is 60 or more minutes for that). There most certainly are political differences between Alberta and Quebec, if a crowd somewhere in Canada decided to express those political differences in the form of boos at a hockey game (directed at the French language or the Quebec flag), Quebecers at a minimum would be confused and more likely angry.

In terms of what or what is not sung at a game, I don't really care, I just think that while national anthems are sung people should exercise good judgement or bite their tongue.

Last edited by habfan4: 04-25-2008 at 05:27 PM.
Old
04-25-2008, 06:03 PM
Ape Clutch

Quote:
The Flames & Habs hypothetical analogy was not about a hockey rivalry it was about political differences being expressed at a hockey game (booing the US anthem is not about disliking the Flyers, there is 60 or more minutes for that). There most certainly are political differences between Alberta and Quebec, if a crowd somewhere in Canada decided to express those political differences in the form of boos at a hockey game (directed at the French language or the Quebec flag), Quebecers at a minimum would be confused and more likely angry.

In terms of what or what is not sung at a game, I don't really care, I just think that while national anthems are sung people should exercise good judgement or bite their tongue.
atleast adress everything i post

In that case fine (your adressing the political differences). Once again we might not like it, but unless its a) against the law b) enforced by the Canadiens as it is on private property... we really can't do much about it.

So we should move on

Old
04-25-2008, 06:35 PM
FF de Mars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominant Hegemony View Post
seriously...when are they gonna remove anthems from games??

WHAT is the point of an anthem in a non-olympic game?
+1. It bugs me to hear two foreign anthems for the home games in Montréal, Québec...

FF de Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 06:37 PM
habfan4

Quote:
atleast adress everything i post

In that case fine (your adressing the political differences). Once again we might not like it, but unless its a) against the law b) enforced by the Canadiens as it is on private property... we really can't do much about it.

So we should move on
If I don't address part of your post it basically means that I don't necessarily disagree with it.

Old
04-25-2008, 06:38 PM
habfan4

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF de Mars View Post
+1. It bugs me to hear two foreign anthems for the home games in Montréal, Québec...
So solve the problem at the political level. Oh wait, nevermind.

Edit: On ne sait jamais.... il se peut que la troisieme fois puisse vous porter bonheur!

Last edited by habfan4: 04-25-2008 at 06:44 PM.
Old
04-25-2008, 06:42 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Bingo Exactly Gee Wally It's your right to get up for her. Its not our job to make you get up so she can sit. You do it because its the right thing to do. It's your freedom. It's no longer a freedom if its demanded. I'd rather have freedom and bad behaviour then no freedom but cordiality.

True enough. But then again what makes him an a hole? The fact he booed another countries anthem? To you he can be an a hole and to others nothing more and nothing less. I can think of worse things people do that warrant that label (a hole)
I can only have opinions thru my own perspective, and those that share similar values. If I think someone's a dick, therefore he is a dick in my estimation. Others may find him a wonderful fellow fixted on ooooo sounds, but I know he's a dick.

Others are free to have their own thoughts, I'm only expressing my own.

What is this Grade 10 existentialism ? I think he's an a hole therefore he is ?

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 07:15 PM
Ape Clutch

Quote:
If I don't address part of your post it basically means that I don't necessarily disagree with it.
ah ok dah

let's make peace

*hands over peace pipe*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
I can only have opinions thru my own perspective, and those that share similar values. If I think someone's a dick, therefore he is a dick in my estimation. Others may find him a wonderful fellow fixated on ooooo sounds, but I know he's a dick.

Others are free to have their own thoughts, I'm only expressing my own.

What is this Grade 10 existentialism ? I think he's an a hole therefore he is ?
I am too, I think it means im doing a good job

Old
04-25-2008, 08:28 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
What ever happened to respect? I mean common sure its Hockey but an Anthem isn't the team its the country. I am 100% pure canadian but I can't stomach the fact that in Game 7 we bood the American anthem like it was Chara singing. I mean common give me a break respect it or leave. Plain and Simple, its not tactics to boo an anthem its poor sportsmanship and so not Classy.

Go Habs Go

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 09:09 PM
HomaridII

Well the San Jose Sharks fans were booing the Anthem just now when the words Star or Stars were uttered ...

HomaridII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 09:13 PM
Galchenyuk x 27

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomaridII View Post
Well the San Jose Sharks fans were booing the Anthem just now when the words Star or Stars were uttered ...
they were booing the Dallas STARS, not the anthem.

...what they should have booed is the anthem singer...she was brutal

Galchenyuk x 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 09:13 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Maybe because the singer was hurting their ears and they couldn't wait to boo the crap out of her?

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 09:16 PM
FF de Mars

Quote:
So solve the problem at the political level. Oh wait, nevermind.

Edit: On ne sait jamais.... il se peut que la troisieme fois puisse vous porter bonheur!
Thanks. I also think that Canada is a great place.

FF de Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 09:18 PM
Sparepart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee96 View Post
they were booing the Dallas STARS, not the anthem.

...what they should have booed is the anthem singer...she was brutal

It shouldnt make a difference what they were boo'ing. Habs fans were accused of being classless for chanting during the American anthem, so how is this any different? Where are these people now? Some posters on this forum look for any excuse to rip on the habs, this is just more proof of it.

Oh yeah... And as for the the story about Habs fans boo'ing the American anthem at the bell centre. Well, I've been to every habs home game these playoffs, and I havent heard ANY boo's. So I'm not sure where people are getting this from. I've heard habs chants, goalie-taunts, but no boo's for the anthem. Maybe CBC is inserting boo's into their audio stream? Maybe its another conspiracy? ... Seriously though, I havent heard any boo's

Last edited by Sparepart: 04-25-2008 at 09:25 PM.
Sparepart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2008, 10:18 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Wally View Post
... Then again maybe I'm just a dinosaur and the world has passed me by.
You said it GW, not us! (Anybody need a new signature line?)

Generally speaking, maybe people have just forgotten that other people are people too. Unless they really stop and think about it. But who has time to stop and think anymore?

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2008, 10:21 AM
CanadienErrant*

Instead of booing the US Anthems (or any others). JUST SIT !

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote