HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Richards penalty was done on purpose by Kovy

Old
04-25-2008, 11:29 AM
Guillemin

vCash: 500
Of course it was on purpose.

It's like drawing contact in basketball. It's the way smart players play the game.

Guillemin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 11:39 AM
Capitano

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedave View Post
At first I thought the Richards penalty was obvious. But after watching the replay, it was pretty borderline. He did catch Kovalev with his shoulder as much as his knee. He actually made a good play not to stick out his knee. He basically just stood his ground, but made knee-on-knee contact anyway because that inside-out move usually forces the puck-carrier to drag his outside knee.

I don't think any Hab other than Kovalev would've drawn that call. There are few players who can make that quick cut as well as he does. Most of the time when a player tries that move and runs into Richards, the ref lets them play because the puck carrier just couldn't quite beat the defender. Kovalev seems to get more respect from the officials on that kind of play because of his skillset.

All that said, I think it was a good break for the Habs, especially at that point in the game, as it took away Philly's best overall player and faceoff man while also (of course) giving the Habs a PP. I would be outraged if that exact call had been made on, say, Briere trying to deke Koivu or whoever.
You're entitled to your opinion, but in my opinion it was a penalty.

But In reality the only one that really matters is the ref's opinion.

Capitano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 02:29 PM
fufonzo

Send a message via ICQ to fufonzo Send a message via MSN to fufonzo
+1.

I don't see how that call is even being disputed. If it wasn't a knee, it was a trip. Richard's stick was tangled up in Kovy's legs before he even stuck his knee out.

I would expect that call if it was committed by any Habs player.

Regardless, great move by Kovalev to draw that (there's a huge difference with drawing penalties and diving) and huge goal from hi to tie 'er up.

fufonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 02:33 PM
Penalty Killer

So instead of being surprised by the penalty, he drew the penalty? Good for Kovy, smart play, took the youngster for a ride. This the playoffs, the savvy vets know how it goes.

Penalty Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 03:54 PM
HabsoluteFate

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanyMontrealExpat View Post
http://www.cyberpresse.ca/article/20...128/CPSPORTS01

«J'ai senti que Richards avait figé devant moi alors que je transportais la rondelle, a expliqué Kovalev à propos de l'infraction. J'ai fait mine d'aller vers l'extérieur, mais j'ai recoupé vers le centre.

«J'avais bon espoir qu'il morde et que je le force à écoper d'une punition.»

I felt that Richards was frozen in front of me while I was carrying the puck, explained Kovalev about the infraction. I faked to the outside and cut towards the center.

I was hopeful that he would bite and that I force him to get a penalty.

That should get the anti-Habs legions stirred up.

Edit, it probably was a knee-on-knee, because Kovy intended it to be. That what he was aiming for.
Are you secretely a fan of another team and hate the Habs?
That statement is ridiculous. Kovy was not aiming for a Knee on Knee. He was hoping that Richards would have to do something stupid to stop Kovalev and he did...otherwise Kovalev would have been in a decent spot to get a scoring chance. Its called hockey and the players do it all the time

Gotta love how some people just make something out of nothing.

There was 3 options here when Kovalev did his move (which by the way is his usual dipsy do move)...

#1 In an Infraction (and its a real one...the ones who complain it wasnt a penalty is secretly Bruins fans)
#2 No penalty but Kovalev blows by him and gets a potential scoring chance
#3 The ideal scenario For Philly and its that Richards stops Kovalev by checking him. That's what I believe Richards went for but Kovy was able to move left-right and he caught Kovy with his leg AND had his stick between Kovy's legs.

Do you honestly think guys do not skate around a stick on purpose hopping they get caught by the stick and draw a penalty? Your living in a dream world if you don't think they dont. As long as you don't dive on purpose thats called smart hockey and taking advantage of the rules in place...there are tons of other examples as well...

anyways...give up there is no controversy here. If you really want to debate about a call that might be wrong then look at Kovy's goal or Philly's 3rd goal...then at least in both of those there is room for debate

HabsoluteFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 04:01 PM
Galchenyuk x 27

vCash: 50
Quote:
It isn't a problem for Hab fans, but makes Richards less of a culprit.
not doesnt.

As a hockey player, when you have the puck and your entering the zone against a guy who is flat footed, you make a move and hope he draws a penalty. that is exactly what Kovy did.

Galchenyuk x 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 04:12 PM
suprez

I prefeer they call these penality than penality where a player barely touch another player and boom CALL.

Has for Kovy High stick Goal . THe goal they accepted from the flyers when he push the puck with his skate (He clearly made a move) THey accepted it because they accepted KOVY goal.THE END

So it's 50/50.

And i think the capitals deserved to win .It's a steal from the ref.Especialy game sevent.It's clear that the ref made atrocious descision and it's the reason the cap lost game seven.

Oh and by sake god.The FLYERS had 2 SUPER MEGA ULTRA LUCKY GOAL and we HAD 10 POLE LOLOL.They can just be lucky that they almost won this game.

Has for what i have seen of the flyers in the playoff.The bruins have a much better team

I say 4-1 Montreal

suprez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 04:24 PM
jeangauthier

vCash: 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardcoreHab View Post
All he's saying in that quote is that he knew he had put Richards in a position where he was very likely to take a penalty. Which is the truth.

Richards was beat and instinctively through his knee and stick out. It was a clearcut penalty.

It's almost funny the way everyone is starting to hate our team. It's a compliment more than anything right?
"I love to hear the Fans Boo..........It shows that I`m the Best" - Pete Rose

jeangauthier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 05:38 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
In the course of an NHL season, referees probably make thousands of calls that could have gone either way. The Flyer fans don't complain when their players get the breaks. We can't let them officiate, so let's ignore what they say. They can say whatever they want on their forum, as do the Bruins fans on theirs.
I agree. I get very mad (in a hockey fan way) when the refs make those borderline calls against the Habs, especially when it costs them. Like the interference penalty on Komisarek when Upshall flailed his arms and stick trying to climb over him. I felt that it was a bad call, theatrically contrived by Upshall, but I knew also that it was just one of those borderliners.

So, in a like way, I felt that the Kovalev call was a good one -- an especially fortuitous one -- but I still knew that it was the kind of borderliner that would have angered me had it been made against the Habs at that particular point in the game. Sometimes it just has to be acknowledged that your team got a good break.

Souffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 05:47 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Jason Ward did the same against Kovy in the playoffs two times where he was Kovy's back and the refs were not calling anything. And it was done just to get Kovy mad and it succeeded and he took a penalty. Sports is also about making others make mistakes.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 06:06 PM
znk

Quote:
http://www.cyberpresse.ca/article/20...128/CPSPORTS01

«J'ai senti que Richards avait figé devant moi alors que je transportais la rondelle, a expliqué Kovalev à propos de l'infraction. J'ai fait mine d'aller vers l'extérieur, mais j'ai recoupé vers le centre.

«J'avais bon espoir qu'il morde et que je le force à écoper d'une punition.»

I felt that Richards was frozen in front of me while I was carrying the puck, explained Kovalev about the infraction. I faked to the outside and cut towards the center.

I was hopeful that he would bite and that I force him to get a penalty.

That should get the anti-Habs legions stirred up.

Edit, it probably was a knee-on-knee, because Kovy intended it to be. That what he was aiming for.
He was aiming for the Richards to be caught off position and for him in to a penalty what ever it was.... I'm really scratching my head as to what is wrong with that.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 06:08 PM
Kebekoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post

Its shown in that clip a few times.
Still remember that...

Souray

Kebekoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 06:11 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
It's called drawing a penalty. Upshall did the exact same thing when he tried to climb over Komisarek's back instead of skating around him. He knew the ref would call Komisarek for interference.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 06:29 PM
decadentia

The penalty sucked as a Flyers fan, and props to Kovy for being the better strategist...but in the end the better team won that night. And yes, i'm saying this as a Flyers fan lol. Harsh pill to swallow, but in the end it's the W's that count.

The only thing that irked me was anyone trying to say that Richards was headhunting(or kneehunting in this case ). At least in my experience he's not usually that type of player. But everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Here's to game two though! Something tells me the Flyers are really going to have to work in this series to compete.

Best of luck.

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 06:32 PM
JrHockeyFan

I find it remarkable that anybody could see that incident and not see that it was deserving of two minutes.

When you draw a penalty you give the checker a choice: Let me skate through freely or take me down any way you can. Open ice on the attack or 2 minutes? The choice was made

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 06:35 PM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by decadentia View Post
The penalty sucked as a Flyers fan, and props to Kovy for being the better strategist...but in the end the better team won that night. And yes, i'm saying this as a Flyers fan lol. Harsh pill to swallow, but in the end it's the W's that count.

The only thing that irked me was anyone trying to say that Richards was headhunting(or kneehunting in this case ). At least in my experience he's not usually that type of player. But everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Here's to game two though! Something tells me the Flyers are really going to have to work in this series to compete.

Best of luck.
I never thought for a moment Richard's was trying to hurt Kovalev. He was caught out of position and that was his only resort.

Sometimes those knee on knee collisions work out badly for one or both.

Old
04-25-2008, 06:39 PM
FerrisRox

Quote:
It isn't a problem for Hab fans, but makes Richards less of a culprit.
How do you figure? How does what Kovalev said somehow transfer blame from Richards?

I think you're reading waaaaaaaay too much into what he said. What Kovalev is saying, is that by cutting outside-inside he froze Richards which led to a knee-on-knee hit.

If you think, for one second, that Kovalev WANTED to be hit knee on knee, you've never played a game of hockey in your life.

Knee on knee hits, even at low speed, can cause devastating damage. No player would ever put themselves intentionally in a position to be hit knee-on-kne.

FerrisRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 06:42 PM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox View Post
How do you figure? How does what Kovalev said somehow transfer blame from Richards?

I think you're reading waaaaaaaay too much into what he said. What Kovalev is saying, is that by cutting outside-inside he froze Richards which led to a knee-on-knee hit.

If you think, for one second, that Kovalev WANTED to be hit knee on knee, you've never played a game of hockey in your life.

Knee on knee hits, even at low speed, can cause devastating damage. No player would ever put themselves intentionally in a position to be hit knee-on-kne.
It is like saying some players want to be driven head first into the boards. NOBODY wants a knee on knee

Old
04-25-2008, 06:42 PM
decadentia

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox View Post

So then you'd agree Richards didn't intentionally put himself into a knee-on-knee hit

Sorry I had to

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 06:55 PM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Originally Posted by decadentia View Post
So then you'd agree Richards didn't intentionally put himself into a knee-on-knee hit

Sorry I had to
I *do* agree that Richards didn't intentinoally put himself into a knee on knee hit. Absolutely.

In fact, you see him extend his whole body, primarily his shoulder once he realizes that he zigged instead of zagged. He's just trying to clip Kovalev when he realizes he's been beat.

Unfortunately, for him, and the Flyers, his knee was left out and connected with Kovalev.

FerrisRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 09:39 PM
Teufelsdreck

I reviewed it 3 more times on Friday. Richards was coming at Kovalev. Kovalev shifted suddenly to his right. His left leg was actually off the ice as he was doing it. Richards plowed into Kovalev, with his right leg hitting Kovalev's left leg and knocking him over. I don't see how it couldn't be a penalty. Too bad, Richards, you cost your team a game. Maybe you can redeem yourself, maybe you can't. I think the Habs will take the Flyers more easily on Saturday and win the round 4 games to 1. Of course I'm not a seer and my crystal ball is a bit cloudy, but that's what I think.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2008, 05:36 AM
MrNasty

Richards admitted last night that it was a penalty.

MrNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2008, 06:30 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNasty View Post
Richards admitted last night that it was a penalty.
/thread

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote