HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Habs Fans in Ottawa

Old
04-25-2008, 09:31 PM
Kruky

vCash: 500
Live in Ottawa too since 1986. Always will be a Habs fan and I hate the Sens. Was asked many times why I didn't switch. I say "when you are born and raised in MTL, you learn about the rocket in grade school, from that point it's in your blood, you can't turn your back on them".

I was at the Place d'Orleans bus stop yesterday waiting for the bus and wearing my jersey, some mid teen little skank biatch pretended to cough and said ****ing habs fan. However the bus driver before i got off said in the mic GO HABS GO and everybody on the bus laughed and cheered, that was cool.

Got my two car flags just this week and I'm proud to drive my car, lol.

Kruky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 10:04 PM
Teufelsdreck

The Senators borrowed their name and crest from a defunct team that actually won the Stanley Cup in the 1930s, but this team will have to wait a long, long time before they do. There's a book about them. It's called The Decline and Fall oif the Roman Empire.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 10:42 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
...It's called The Decline and Fall oif the Roman Empire.
Oh! Oh! Oh...*jumping up and down* Please dont tell me the ending! I just have to read that hockey book!

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 11:15 PM
Corey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Poutine View Post
Oh! Oh! Oh...*jumping up and down* Please dont tell me the ending! I just have to read that hockey book!
The title gave it away.

I'm curious, with all the poutine you pack away, are you able to jump up and down without requiring oxygen?

Last edited by Corey: 04-25-2008 at 11:26 PM.
Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 11:57 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
I'm curious, with all the poutine you pack away, are you able to jump up and down without requiring oxygen?
Actually, and this is not a commonly know fact, cheese curds in a poutine are a major contributor of oxygen to one's body and as such makes a person able to jump up and down.

Further studies were mandated but the oxygen replenishing capacity of Poutine is, as we speak, widely recognised by the Scientfic Comunity Worldwide.

Old
04-26-2008, 12:53 AM
SilverSeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty Roy View Post
Not really....i was a teenager at the time and had no intention of changing over...really most hockey fans in Ottawa only really started changing to Ottawa when the team got competitive...those first few seasons there were more Habs fans than Sens fans in the old Civic center.
I think it has a lot more to do with Ottawa being between the two biggest hockey markets in the world. You couldnt possibly have a scenario where it would be harder for a team to establish a fanbase. It took time to convert people, and recently (last 5 years or so) you are getting people who have finally grown up with the team.

The first generation of born and raised Sens fans is still not here. But to say that older fans are all bandwagoners or converts is ridiculous. I know a lot of people who became fans of the NHL when the Sens arrived. I also know a lot of people who did switch, but not because of success, but because they came to enjoy the team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
The Senators borrowed their name and crest from a defunct team that actually won the Stanley Cup in the 1930s, but this team will have to wait a long, long time before they do. There's a book about them. It's called The Decline and Fall oif the Roman Empire.
If you are going to bash the team, at least get your facts straight.

SilverSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2008, 01:17 AM
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D

vCash: 50
Quote:
Actually, and this is not a commonly know fact, cheese curds in a poutine are a major contributor of oxygen to one's body and as such makes a person able to jump up and down.

Further studies were mandated but the oxygen replenishing capacity of Poutine is, as we speak, widely recognised by the Scientfic Comunity Worldwide.
It makes you burp and fart too.

Phil Parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2008, 01:50 AM
kernkraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruky View Post
Live in Ottawa too since 1986. Always will be a Habs fan and I hate the Sens. Was asked many times why I didn't switch. I say "when you are born and raised in MTL, you learn about the rocket in grade school, from that point it's in your blood, you can't turn your back on them".

I was at the Place d'Orleans bus stop yesterday waiting for the bus and wearing my jersey, some mid teen little skank biatch pretended to cough and said ****ing habs fan. However the bus driver before i got off said in the mic GO HABS GO and everybody on the bus laughed and cheered, that was cool.

Got my two car flags just this week and I'm proud to drive my car, lol.
lol, sounds about right, the kids hanging around Place D'Orleans aren't exactly the brightest. Be on the lookout for my car though, a copper Santa Fe with two Habs flags as well.

kernkraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2008, 12:29 PM
Pedro McGuire*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernkraft View Post
Hey people, I don't have any pictures or videos, but it was getting pretty loud on campus (OttawaU) last night. A lot of people in Habs jerseys, you could hear the "Ole Ole Ole"s all around. A lot of alcohol (a LOT of girls too for some reason, 2/1 ratio I'd say).

I even saw a big Habs flag hanging from an apartment ledge. Everyone in the different bars were just talking about the game. A lot of people making jokes about the Montreal riots . And that was an hour after the game!

Anyone from here was on campus last night? I'm thinking I'll watch the game there on Saturday. Probably at the Urban Well.
Glad to hear someone is cheering the habs in ottawa. for the last few days ive been opening up my 'Ottawa Sun' and 3 out of 4 articles about the habs were HATE articles.... Bunch of ottawa fans that happen to be columnists are just so bitter that their own team sucks and that they can only dream of getting the atmosphere from the bell center into there beloved corel center or what ever the hell they are calling it these days.... You can here a pin drop in that place! I Digress! Go Habs GO!!!

Pedro McGuire* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2008, 12:40 PM
Patty Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSeven View Post
The first generation of born and raised Sens fans is still not here. But to say that older fans are all bandwagoners or converts is ridiculous. I know a lot of people who became fans of the NHL when the Sens arrived. I also know a lot of people who did switch, but not because of success, but because they came to enjoy the team.
I didn't mean to insinuate that all older fans in Ottawa are bandwagoners...you are absolutely right that alot of older people who were never really into hockey became fans when Ottawa got their team and became fans of the Sens.

However i've always been a huge hockey fan, and have been surrounded by hockey fans most of my life...the vast majority of Sens fans i know, who are in their late 20's and older, were fans of other teams first and foremost...most of these fans only jumped on the Sens bandwagon when the team got reasonably successful in the late 90s.

Patty Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2008, 12:49 PM
Jigger77

Quote:
It took time to convert people, and recently (last 5 years or so) you are getting people who have finally grown up with the team.

The first generation of born and raised Sens fans is still not here.

It sure didn't take them a long time to get cocky.

I work for a company that has offices in Montreal and Ottawa. All I heard at the begining of the year was "think you guys will make the playoffs"?, "We're going to beat your unbeaten record for a season" and other such smug remarks constantly. Sure it was all in good fun. But boy does it feel good now. No matter what happens.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2008, 12:54 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
It sure didn't take them a lot time to get really cocky. I work for a company that has offices in Montreal and Ottawa. All I heard at the begining of the year was "think you guys will make the playoffs"?, "We're going to beat your unbeaten record for a season" and other such smug remarks constantly. ...
I'm in the same situation...

When that happens, you just print out this little thingie here and give it to them with a smile and a nod:

Old
04-26-2008, 01:26 PM
Jigger77

Quote:
I'm in the same situation...

When that happens, you just print out this little thingie here and give it to them with a smile and a nod:

Ha ha...Yeah that or bring up the Spartan.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2008, 02:00 PM
pepty

vCash: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gob Bainey View Post
Glad to hear someone is cheering the habs in ottawa. for the last few days ive been opening up my 'Ottawa Sun' and 3 out of 4 articles about the habs were HATE articles.... Bunch of ottawa fans that happen to be columnists are just so bitter that their own team sucks and that they can only dream of getting the atmosphere from the bell center into there beloved corel center or what ever the hell they are calling it these days.... You can here a pin drop in that place! I Digress! Go Habs GO!!!
Chris Stevenson of the Sun is a big HABS fan.
I dont think I've ever seen HABS hatred in any of the Ottawa papers.

Sens bashing sometimes.
Leaf hatred sometimes.

pepty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2008, 02:35 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
Ha ha...Yeah that or bring up the Spartan.
I forgot about that guy so i just made this to remind us of...The Spartan!

Old
04-26-2008, 02:42 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
If you are going to bash the team, at least get your facts straight.
You're right. The Sens have never been, and will never be, as relatively dominant as the Romans were. But you don't have to remind US of that...

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote