HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#26 Josh Gorges.

View Poll Results: Josh Gorges should be...
Signed for 1 year, $800,000/y 11 5.19%
Signed for 2years $850,000/y 71 33.49%
Signed for 3years, $750,000/year1, $850,000/y2, $1million/y3 128 60.38%
Let him walk 2 0.94%
Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-26-2008, 01:03 PM
Iwishihadacup

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by snap-bar View Post
whats the story behind all these type of posts?
the origins are from a bunch of posters who asked the same question quite a few time in te same post

same thing for Chipchura who was hurt

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2008, 01:26 PM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwishihadacup View Post
the origins are from a bunch of posters who asked the same question quite a few time in te same post

same thing for Chipchura who was hurt
Chipchura??? Where is he already??

Dan K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2008, 01:31 PM
Iwishihadacup

Quote:
Originally Posted by #11 Saku Koivu View Post
Chipchura??? Where is he already??

CHIPCHURAAAA

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2008, 01:38 PM
Beakermania*

3 years for the Captain of the Memorial Cup Champion Kelowna Rockets

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2008, 01:52 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

I mean guys...He was captain in Kelowna...10 years 50 millions minimum.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2008, 02:04 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
If he was locked up for a million for 4 years that would be a dream. A veteran third pair Dman with heart, smarts and that great first pass can easily be traded for draft picks. He is a tad undersized(comparable to Chelios) but that is why he isnt a 3 million dollar 2nd pairing guy. Stability is important to a team. At a reasonable price he is worth locking up.

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2008, 02:23 PM
Turboflex*

Gorges is a very good dman. He is well positioned, good at poke checking, good at winning battles in corner, good coverage, decent passing, dunno how anyone can complain about him, he's a keeper. Might not have a flashy game, but every teams needs stable elements on their blue line. Gorges' offensive game will evolve with experience also.

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2008, 02:42 PM
All-Star

I predict he'll sign for 1 year at his qualifying offer. It appears to be the standard Gainey deal for guys looking to sign their second contract.

All-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2008, 02:46 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
Gorges is a good #7 Dman, but I don't think he's top-6 material on a regular basis. Not in the future either.
Are you kidding me?? He's our #4 guy right now. Has been since he started getting a regular role. Make no mistake about it, the biggest defensive liability is always paired with Hamrlik cause Hammer is so good he can cover some of the other guys mistakes. Its between Gorges and Bouillion for our #4 and #5 best d-man.... I'm giving it to Gorges right now... with Frankie at 5.

Order
1. Markov
2/3. Hammer (tie)
2/3. Komisarek (tie)
4. Gorges
5. Bouillion
6. O'byrne (please put him in Carbo)
7. Breezy
8. Streit

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2008, 02:49 PM
Marksman

Two years seems right to me. Hes been doing well on the role hes been given. But, I wouldnt give anyone more than that before proving themselves top 4 defencemen, and in my opinion O'Byrne has shown more potential in shorter time span.

Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2008, 10:06 PM
didjuicythat
@m_desroches

Gorges was the Canadiens' best player tonight.

didjuicythat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2008, 10:08 PM
HotPie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkovForNorris View Post
Gorges was the Canadiens' best player tonight.
Agreed. Gorges is the ****ing man.

HotPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2008, 07:37 AM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Signed for 3+ years

This is a perfect #5-6 type of defenceman.Sign him long term

I would rather have him then Streit
Darn right

Gorges >>>>>>>>>>> Streit

Sign Gorges to 3 years...

Let Mark "I'll settle for nothing less than $3mil/year" Streit walk (this summer) to Edmonton to join Souray.

Gorges is a huuuuge part of the Canadiens success (bonus part!: also seems very down-to-earth & pleasant in person...appreciates fans' love for him by responding with a huuuuuuuuge smile ).

I love watching his hustle (lots of character) and how he always does the right thing (so smart), and will always take the hit (for the team) to get the puck out and/or make the right play. This Gorges has guts (he fits perfectly well into HABS plans/future).

Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2008, 10:04 AM
Turboflex*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post
Darn right

Gorges >>>>>>>>>>> Streit

Sign Gorges to 3 years...

Let Mark "I'll settle for nothing less than $3mil/year" Streit walk (this summer) to Edmonton to join Souray.
I'd rather Streit get overpayed by an east conf. GM so I get to laugh at him as an albatross on some team we play frequently while he is ineffective on PP and guys like higgins or kostytsin make swiss cheese out of him on defence for years. Maybe those losers in Ottawa desperatly trying to replace Corvo and Redden, would be sweet if they gave Streit 3 mill for 4-5 years while we still have Gorges owning their *****.

Old
04-27-2008, 11:58 AM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
Are you kidding me?? He's our #4 guy right now. Has been since he started getting a regular role. Make no mistake about it, the biggest defensive liability is always paired with Hamrlik cause Hammer is so good he can cover some of the other guys mistakes. Its between Gorges and Bouillion for our #4 and #5 best d-man.... I'm giving it to Gorges right now... with Frankie at 5.

Order
1. Markov
2/3. Hammer (tie)
2/3. Komisarek (tie)
4. Gorges
5. Bouillion
6. O'byrne (please put him in Carbo)
7. Breezy
8. Streit
IF you are going with the team's depth chart it looks like...

1. Markov
2. Hamrlik

3. Komisarek
4. Gorges
5. Bouillon
6. Brisebois
7. O'Byrne
8. Streit

You can argue that Brisebois isn't in the Top-6 of your own chart, but he pretty much is our #6 right now.. He'll probably be back for Game #3.

If you were going off mine it would be;

1. Hamrlik
2. Markov

3. Gorges (tie)
4. Komisarek (tie)

5. Bouillon
6. Breezer (tie)
7. O'Byrne (tie)
8. Streit

TIE #1: Gorges has become so reliable defensively .. and doesn't make many mistakes. He has a great outlet pass.. Komisarek is good at everything he does, but sometimes, he can get a little overheated and make stupid plays.. If we were up by a goal with 30 seconds left, and one of Markov/Hammer couldn't go.. I'd put Gorges on, I think.

TIE #2: A "what do you need" tie. If you need a physical game and defense, you go with O'Byrne. If you need a great outlet pass and an offensive game, you go with Brisebois. If our offense picks up and starts scoring on a more regular basis, I think Carbo will feel like going with O'Byrne.. but if our game is weak offensively, you really have no choice but to go with Brisebois. Especially with injuries to Markov and Streit.

Bad Natey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2008, 12:03 PM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
Did he actually say this?

Personally, as long as it's not a long, long term contract.. I have no problem giving Streit $3M per year, if he knows he's not going to play an awful lot of defense and is fine with that. I personally think he'll want to be part of a winning club..

And if Gainey shows interest, I think they'll meet somewhere in the middle. Streit seems like a class act.. he said he wanted $2.5M during the season, and I could see him signing for that with us. From other teams, he'd get $3.5M +.

Streit is a great, great player. If people can't tell his not himself right now and playing injured, you need to watch him more closely. His hip is obviously bothering him, as he can't make the simple plays he usually can make.

And people sit here *****ing and moaning over the fact that he's only effective on the PP (when he's on).

Newsflash;

Mark Streit was FOURTH in EVEN STRENGTH SCORING for the MONTREAL CANADIENS this season. FOURTH!!!!!!! Only Kovalev, Plekanec, and A. Kostitsyn scored more at ES.

Old
04-27-2008, 02:54 PM
terreur

the longer the better, hes the real deal baby

terreur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2008, 03:56 PM
Westcoasthabsfan

Pretty good player for a throw in.......

Westcoasthabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2008, 05:03 PM
Turboflex*

Maybe Gorges should be playing with Markov and Komi with Hamrlik if Andre and Mike K are injured. They havent looked too hot 5v5.

Old
04-27-2008, 05:16 PM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post

MARK STREIT...

Did he actually say this?
Personally, as long as it's not a long, long term contract.. I have no problem giving Streit $3M per year, if he knows he's not going to play an awful lot of defense and is fine with that. I personally think he'll want to be part of a winning club..

And if Gainey shows interest, I think they'll meet somewhere in the middle. Streit seems like a class act.. he said he wanted $2.5M during the season, and I could see him signing for that with us. From other teams, he'd get $3.5M +.

Streit is a great, great player. If people can't tell his not himself right now and playing injured, you need to watch him more closely. His hip is obviously bothering him, as he can't make the simple plays he usually can make.

And people sit here *****ing and moaning over the fact that he's only effective on the PP (when he's on).

Newsflash;

Mark Streit was FOURTH in EVEN STRENGTH SCORING for the MONTREAL CANADIENS this season. FOURTH!!!!!!! Only Kovalev, Plekanec, and A. Kostitsyn scored more at ES.
Where did I get $3 mil...? I was just looking at the fact that he was top 10 among defensemen in scoring (maybe even top 6 sometimes?), and I feel that Streit and his agent are salivating at these number$!

Did he actually ask for 2,5 mil this year? (didn't know this).
I'll betcha his agent will start with 3,5 to try to get $3 mil/year or $2,75 mil/year, and his agent will push for "DEFENSEMAN at all times" (no more playing forward)...we shall see.

I just have a strong feeling he will go where the money is (and some team will pay him 3 mil or more ), plus Streit repeated many times (heard him say it at least 4-5 times this season) that he feels he is a defenseman first and foremost but will help the team anyway he can (in other words: I want to go to a team which will use me as a defenseman and respect that and also give me lots of $$$$ this summer...I definitely could be wrong "natey" ).

I'm always up and down with Streit (like him, dislike him, like him, dislike him...I can never make up my mind except on one thing...I don't want to give him $2,5 or $3 mil or 3,5 mil per year...not money well spent...I'd keep him for 2 mil or less for 2 more years, for his versatility...if we have the money for 2,5, then maybe for 2 years, but not if it affects re-signing others like Pleks, Kovalev, Koivu, Komisarek, A Kosts, Higgins, etc...). He is/was very helpful towards our season (can be quite creative and natural offensively, but will always lack grit, and in my opinion...he is very, very overrated on the PP, and not just now but during the whole season, but I have a feeling he will do super well on the PP with another team, could be wrong...).

And why not pay him 2,5 mil+ per year? 'Cause we have too many HAB players in front of him who deserve contracts (Komisarek, Pleks, re-signing Kovalev, Koivu's extension, Higgins, Gorges to a 3 year contract, Kostitsyn brothers (or one of 'em) will soon get (a) 3 year
contract(s), and we have to save lots and lots of $$$$$$$$$$ for Price (he will sooner than later get a high paying salaryimo, we have to get ready for that).

We have no $$$$$$ for Streit (save it for others mentioned above).
We'll have Chipchura, D'Agostini, maybe Stewart, maybe Valentenko next year...

Save the $$$$ for a guy like JOSH GORGES who always gives up his body (takes the hit) to make the right play and always bounces back...love his heart/character/grit, love his "team player" attitude, love how he protects Price and other teammates, and I also love his personality in interviews (looks sooo down-to-earth).

Last edited by Mr. Hab: 04-27-2008 at 05:33 PM.
Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2008, 04:55 AM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
Where did I get $3 mil...? I was just looking at the fact that he was top 10 among defensemen in scoring (maybe even top 6 sometimes?), and I feel that Streit and his agent are salivating at these number$!

Did he actually ask for 2,5 mil this year? (didn't know this).
I'll betcha his agent will start with 3,5 to try to get $3 mil/year or $2,75 mil/year, and his agent will push for "DEFENSEMAN at all times" (no more playing forward)...we shall see.

I just have a strong feeling he will go where the money is (and some team will pay him 3 mil or more ), plus Streit repeated many times (heard him say it at least 4-5 times this season) that he feels he is a defenseman first and foremost but will help the team anyway he can (in other words: I want to go to a team which will use me as a defenseman and respect that and also give me lots of $$$$ this summer...I definitely could be wrong "natey" ).

I'm always up and down with Streit (like him, dislike him, like him, dislike him...I can never make up my mind except on one thing...I don't want to give him $2,5 or $3 mil or 3,5 mil per year...not money well spent...I'd keep him for 2 mil or less for 2 more years, for his versatility...if we have the money for 2,5, then maybe for 2 years, but not if it affects re-signing others like Pleks, Kovalev, Koivu, Komisarek, A Kosts, Higgins, etc...). He is/was very helpful towards our season (can be quite creative and natural offensively, but will always lack grit, and in my opinion...he is very, very overrated on the PP, and not just now but during the whole season, but I have a feeling he will do super well on the PP with another team, could be wrong...).

And why not pay him 2,5 mil+ per year? 'Cause we have too many HAB players in front of him who deserve contracts (Komisarek, Pleks, re-signing Kovalev, Koivu's extension, Higgins, Gorges to a 3 year contract, Kostitsyn brothers (or one of 'em) will soon get (a) 3 year
contract(s), and we have to save lots and lots of $$$$$$$$$$ for Price (he will sooner than later get a high paying salaryimo, we have to get ready for that).

We have no $$$$$$ for Streit (save it for others mentioned above).
We'll have Chipchura, D'Agostini, maybe Stewart, maybe Valentenko next year...

Save the $$$$ for a guy like JOSH GORGES who always gives up his body (takes the hit) to make the right play and always bounces back...love his heart/character/grit, love his "team player" attitude, love how he protects Price and other teammates, and I also love his personality in interviews (looks sooo down-to-earth).
I'm not convinced on re-signing Kovalev yet. He's still got another year and he'll be 36 when his contract expires. I'll wait to see what he does next year to see if he deserves a contract.

Koivu will of course re-sign, but he won't get much more (if not less) than what he's getting now.

Pleks, Komisarek, Higgins, Kost Bros.. they'll all get good, lengthy extentions. But as long as we aren't giving Streit TOO much (and too long) he is a great plug until we can't afford him.

The thing is, I don't think Streit will ever know how much he could get on the open market.. because I think Gainey is going to get him under contract as soon as the season comes to an end (with a Cup ).. Unless Streit gets greedy, which judging by his personality, I don't see it.. he'll be here.

$10 over four years is fine, and you can front load it so he is a trade asset if we need the $$$.

Old
04-28-2008, 05:31 PM
compile
Give me Scotch!

vCash: 693
Send a message via Skype™ to compile
Kovalev will retire when his contract is up. I remember him saying in an interview that he wouldn't turn down an offer to work for the Habs. (maybe Russian scout?).
Koivu will take a home town discount (and not a la Sundin which was $500k less), to bring in a scorer.
Gorges deserves the money and the contract above Streit. He's shown self-sacrifice throughout the playoffs and that's a sign of wanting to win badly.

The thread is about Gorges and his contract. What he deserves and what he has done. I liked him last year as he was just thrown into the wolves and he's progressed.

Gainey/Carbo are were know as premiere defensive forwards, they will most likely lock up Josh way before then even think about Streit or are you forgetting they let Souray walk because of his lack of defensive ability.

You win cups with defense not by offense (if you haven't noticed Philly is trapping and also lining up 4 on the blue line with 1 fore-checker).

Winning is not the #1 thing. They want to win THEIR way.....even if it means they're handicapping themselves.
compile is offline   Reply With Quote