HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What does that team need?

Old
04-26-2008, 03:37 PM
Montreal Shadow

vCash: 500
What does that team need?

I was thinking, what Montreal needs to be a legit top franchise in the league. So far, there is a young promising goalie(Hope he doesn't end up like Raycroft or Ward), a lot of young promising forwards. The only thing that bothers me is the Defence. I still think it's not solid enough, it really misses something. We saw Montreal doesn't need a big forward such as Hossa(Or am I wrong) but I think they need a solid Defenceman.

Markov, Hamrlik, Komisarek are the only ones I consider good D. O'Byrne and Gorges are still very young and they'll take some time to developp(Especially O'Byrne)

I really think the problem is not on the offense but on the denfense. What do you think Montreal needs to really solidify is place at the top of the Eastern Conference?

Montreal Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2008, 03:50 PM
emb24*

big time center-man. you saw what happened when plekanecs was on his own

emb24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2008, 03:52 PM
Galchenyuk x 27

vCash: 1651
ummm, last time I checked we solidly finished first in the conferance and all year long ppl said we would fail yet we continued to proove them all wrong.

When will people realize that maybe we actually ARE solid and belong on top?

Galchenyuk x 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2008, 04:06 PM
Marksman

Solidly finished first in conference ... by 2 points.

I agree, while we may have some good defencemen coming up in few years, another top 4 defenceman is what separates us from being the best team.

Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2008, 04:09 PM
Galchenyuk x 27

vCash: 1651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman View Post
Solidly finished first in conference ... by 2 points.

I agree, while we may have some good defencemen coming up in few years, another top 4 defenceman is what separates us from being the best team.
2 points or 102 points, we more then deserve to be the #1 seed

Galchenyuk x 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2008, 04:15 PM
22SteveBegin22

If I were presented with one goal -- to win the Stanley Cup now -- I don't think there's any team other than the Red Wings that I would switch rosters with. They have "superstar" scoring, secondary scoring, great D men, the potential for great goaltending, and no glaring weaknesses. In the Eastern conference, I think we deserved to finish first. To me the most important stat about the Habs this year is the one about never losing 3 in a row. They can say whatever they want about us being too small or lacking a "real number one center," but if you can go an entire season with no long losing streaks and some pretty good winning streaks, you've got a pretty good formula working for you.

22SteveBegin22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2008, 04:16 PM
JFB

11 more wins

JFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2008, 04:17 PM
Marksman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee96 View Post
2 points or 102 points, we more then deserve to be the #1 seed
2 points is almost nothing in a conference where playoffs teams finished within 10 points ... we have a good team but there isnt much cushion (unlike Wings have in the West).

Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2008, 04:25 PM
Iwishihadacup

this team needs a more positive fanbase

and 11 more wins of course!!!

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2008, 04:33 PM
Caseofcups*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwishihadacup View Post
this team needs a more positive fanbase

and 11 more wins of course!!!
Agreed. I don't care if Detroit finished first by 100 points, The point is we where suppose to miss the playoffs!! This is a rebuilding year for us (developing the young guys etc.). If this is a rebuilding year, I would hate to see what we look like next year or the year after!!

Caseofcups* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2008, 04:36 PM
redmachine54

They need experience. Maybe some depth at center, but that should be solved in the off-season.

Other than that, I think they're fine. They finished first in the conference with quite a bit of youth, so I don't see any major problems with the roster.

redmachine54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2008, 04:40 PM
Avim86

Detroit is arguably in the worst division in hockey right now so yah nuff said they went on a mean losing streak towards the end , they will not make it past the west finals (the only reason they are dominating Colorado is because Theo is not on his game) you can quote me on that. We would have a cushion too if we played Columbus , La , Chicago , Nashville 8x times a season. In less then a couple years from now we will see the death of a great team , and the emergence of new powers in the Central division.

Habs could use more depth (with size 6'1 +) in center , maybe 1 more solid defenceman to complete the bunch , coupled with stellar coaching this team can finally reclaim it's title as a powerhouse it used to be.

Avim86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2008, 04:57 PM
redmachine54

A lot of Detroit's wins (37) came from non-Central opponents. In fact, relatively speaking, Detroit has a bad record against Central teams in comparison to the rest of the league.

Detroit's just a powerhouse, which I would attribute to excellent drafting.

redmachine54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2008, 05:00 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee96 View Post
ummm, last time I checked we solidly finished first in the conferance and all year long ppl said we would fail yet we continued to proove them all wrong.

When will people realize that maybe we actually ARE solid and belong on top?
we are solid, though I don't think if you scutinize the way this season went it is totally unfair to point out that we got "lucky" in terms of not having to deal with any significant injuries.

Part of what makes a team a serious/consistent contender is their ability to absorb injuries to key players and still remain competitive.

Last year we got hit with the flu bug, and some injury troubles, and we missed the playoffs.
This year we were one of the 3-4 "best" teams in terms of man-games lost, and when we did lose a significant player (hamrlik for a handful of games in the early spring) we struggled pretty badly.

As happy as I am with how the team played and performed this year, I can't say with any confidence that we could have lost markov or koivu or kovy or komi for any significant amount of time and still kept up our level of play.

I agree that we could use an upgrade on d... preferably a physical, stay at home type defensive d-man.
earlier in the season, i might have gone with an offensive winger, but with the emmergence of the kosty's and with lats/higgins/pleks all being one year older/wiser and coming off their first significant playoff run, I think our offense will be fine next year.

I hope Gainey is active in the offseason to bolster our back end...

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2008, 05:01 PM
Judge Sauer*

My old saying:
We need Nilan

Judge Sauer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2008, 05:05 PM
Joey

Send a message via MSN to Joey
When Gui or MaxPac reaches their potential, and McDonaugh is a playing well on the backend, I think that'll be enough to allow us to reach an elite plateau. Don't forget that most of our best players are just scratching their surfaces

Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2008, 05:09 PM
kris
No JDru for TB - yet

I think your underrating Gorges. He would fit in nicely with Hamrlik, but the pairing of Boullion-Gorges has been good.

Markov-Komi
Hamrlik-O'B
Gorges-Boull

Would get us there.

kris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2008, 05:16 PM
Rscorpio
Epic Meal Time!

We need another Go-to guy. Kovy need a little help.

Rscorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2008, 05:47 PM
LeMAD

We need a warrior on offense. A guy that brings grit, leadership, intensity, experience and who can score big goals. (And I'm not taking about Tom Kostopoulous...). Like Brind'Amour or Roberts, but younger.

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2008, 05:56 PM
Natural Habs Fan

We have a surplus of youth in our system and that makes me wonder if Gainey will try to trade some of it to get that "A" player he was looking for at the trade deadline. There are also some interested UFA options available.

Natural Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2008, 06:16 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
We need a warrior on offense. A guy that brings grit, leadership, intensity, experience and who can score big goals. (And I'm not taking about Tom Kostopoulous...). Like Brind'Amour or Roberts, but younger.
Agreed. That plus a really good d-man to pair with Hamrlik and give us a truly solid top-4.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
When Gui or MaxPac reaches their potential, and McDonaugh is a playing well on the backend, I think that'll be enough to allow us to reach an elite plateau. Don't forget that most of our best players are just scratching their surfaces
While it's true that we do seem to have both of those elements coming, I don't think we're talking about the medium-longerterm timeframe necessary for them to reach their potential. What we need to step up our contention level *next season*, immediately, can't really include those prospect factors, as nice as it is that we do have them to fall back on. But once they all reach their potential, well, that's too far off to know where we'll be. A lot of our current players' contracts will have expired by then. A lot can change really quickly for teams in the modern NHL.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2008, 06:19 PM
DirtyJeeves

Send a message via AIM to DirtyJeeves
Chelios and S. Thornton.

DirtyJeeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2008, 06:23 PM
Krautso

Which team in the east has a better defensive corps than MTL right now (let alone when McD and Valentenko/Emelin graduate)?

Krautso is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2008, 06:23 PM
Corey

Quote:
Originally Posted by avim86 View Post
Detroit is arguably in the worst division in hockey right now so yah nuff said they went on a mean losing streak towards the end , they will not make it past the west finals (the only reason they are dominating Colorado is because Theo is not on his game) you can quote me on that. We would have a cushion too if we played Columbus , La , Chicago , Nashville 8x times a season. In less then a couple years from now we will see the death of a great team , and the emergence of new powers in the Central division.

Habs could use more depth (with size 6'1 +) in center , maybe 1 more solid defenceman to complete the bunch , coupled with stellar coaching this team can finally reclaim it's title as a powerhouse it used to be.
I suppose the Habs had to overcome formidable teams in Ottawa, Boston, Toronto, and Buffalo.

As for Detroit, I remember how easily they handled the Habs in their only game this season.

Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2008, 06:25 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

we need a franchise center

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote