HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Better Quiet than Riot (Ottawa Sun)

Old
04-24-2008, 09:25 AM
LyleOdelein

vCash: 500
Pretty smug article.

The major difference is the amount of people congesting Montreal streets after a game. The Bell Centre is right downtown in Montreal, so there's 21000 people trying to exit the game and drive home released into the streets of the city. Then if you throw however many people are partying at bars into the mix (let's say there's 3000-5000, as there was in Ottawa), that makes about 25000 people moving around within a 3 hour time period after the game. It's tough to secure such a busy area when a couple retards decide to cause trouble.

In Ottawa, the SBP is way out on the west side of Kanata. The downtown area of Ottawa is about 30 minutes driving away from that on a good day. So, the game spectators and people partying at bars didn't really intermingle in the busiest area of the city for nightlife. Most spectators who wanted a post game pint would more likely stop at O'Connor's in the Centrum, or somewhere closer to Kanata than the big party spots downtown. It's completely apples Vs. oranges here. 25000 people in the downtown area makes a lot more potential for troublemakers than 3000-5000. If anyone in Ottawa should get credit for crowd control, it should be whoever decided to build the Palladium on the outskirts of town, rather than in the downtown region.

LyleOdelein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2008, 09:26 AM
Haddock

Designated "party area" sounds like the designated protest zones they put up at major political meetings/events from time to time. Both stupid inventions that are only good enough to stir **** up.

People in Ottawa remind me of rural Pennsylvania voters. B-I-T-T-E-R.

Haddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2008, 09:30 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haddock View Post
Designated "party area" sounds like the designated protest zones they put up at major political meetings/events from time to time. Both stupid inventions that are only good enough to stir **** up.

People in Ottawa remind me of rural Pennsylvania voters. B-I-T-T-E-R.
Huh, Ottawa's an Amish community ?

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2008, 09:37 AM
Haddock

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
Huh, Ottawa's an Amish community ?
I dunno. Are the Amish bitter sore losers who can't go on with their lives without pissing on the parade next door?

Haddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2008, 09:37 AM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyle_Odelein View Post
Pretty smug article.

The major difference is the amount of people congesting Montreal streets after a game. The Bell Centre is right downtown in Montreal, so there's 21000 people trying to exit the game and drive home released into the streets of the city. Then if you throw however many people are partying at bars into the mix (let's say there's 3000-5000, as there was in Ottawa), that makes about 25000 people moving around within a 3 hour time period after the game. It's tough to secure such a busy area when a couple retards decide to cause trouble.

In Ottawa, the SBP is way out on the west side of Kanata. The downtown area of Ottawa is about 30 minutes driving away from that on a good day. So, the game spectators and people partying at bars didn't really intermingle in the busiest area of the city for nightlife. Most spectators who wanted a post game pint would more likely stop at O'Connor's in the Centrum, or somewhere closer to Kanata than the big party spots downtown. It's completely apples Vs. oranges here. 25000 people in the downtown area makes a lot more potential for troublemakers than 3000-5000. If anyone in Ottawa should get credit for crowd control, it should be whoever decided to build the Palladium on the outskirts of town, rather than in the downtown region.
Have you ever been to Ottawa? It's a ghost town after 6pm. Even the Starbucks closes at 6. Any phrase involving "party" and "downtown" referring to Ottawa is definitely a falsism.

I totally agree with you. It's a different setup. If the Bell Centre was in Laval there probably wouldn't be as big an issue either, because you don't have riled up fans+riled up bargoers all congregating to celebrate.

coolguy21415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2008, 09:53 AM
senators2007

you obviously don't know where renfrew is, also ottawa is a small city and is definitely not a party town at all, but don't put it off as some lame ass panzy town, the people here know how to have a good time and there are some great bars/clubs in the downtown core that are actually open past 6

the ottawa sun is a lousy newspaper written by lousy writers which is why so many people tend to ignore it

senators2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2008, 09:55 AM
Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
Like seven.
Hey, I know two of them!

Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2008, 09:55 AM
Russeltown

Ottawa

Russeltown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2008, 09:56 AM
Judge Sauer*

this is a tale of two contrasting cities. Two different histories and hockey heritage and pride. The two cities are practically polar opposites of each other while on the same side of the border.
Ottawa is a beautiful city, but very white collar. Me and my g/f decided to spend the day prior to the game downtown at the malls before going to the game. The whole scene was 'business as usual'. At no time did it feel like game day (I didn't look at the TV's or listen to the radio) until I saw a fellow Habs fan wearing a jersey as well, needless to say "Go Habs" and high fives while walking by were made.
While at the arena (after a 30 minute bus ride from downtown), the crowd does get into the game and not once did I get a condescending remark from a Sens fan prior ro after the game (Habs lost 5-2). It was a good experience, but not one I'd repeat very much.
The last time I was in Montreal was during last years pre-season games. We had gotten right on to one of the Metro stations on The Plateau, me and my friend were taking off to go see his mom, Habs jersey's everywhere, Tinfoil Cups, painted faces, chants and songs...I mean come on, this is an exhibition game. I swore that i had stepped into Habs heaven all over again bringing back memories of going to the Forum with my dad and seeing all the Habs fans in all their glory.
All this is not to say that Sens fans aren't passionate or excited for their team, because they certainly are, it's just that the Habs fans show their pride and feelings in a much more primal way. You can call the passionate Habs fans rabid if you like, but I'll call them my friend while walking by with high fives chanting "GO HABS GO" without missing a stride.

Judge Sauer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2008, 09:59 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by senators2007 View Post
you obviously don't know where renfrew is, also ottawa is a small city and is definitely not a party town at all, but don't put it off as some lame ass panzy town, the people here know how to have a good time and there are some great bars/clubs in the downtown core that are actually open past 6

the ottawa sun is a lousy newspaper written by lousy writers which is why so many people tend to ignore it
I find Ottawa to be a broad connection of suburbs now, from any end of the city. Kind of lik ethe west island of Mtl stretched out in mnay directions. The suburban housing developments have seemed to stretch to towns that used to be considered 'near' Ottawa.

You can find a good bar scene,music scene, in most towns if you look hard enough.

I do find that the arena being as far as it is from the city is awkward, takes away from the core.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2008, 10:02 AM
LyleOdelein

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedScull View Post
Have you ever been to Ottawa? It's a ghost town after 6pm. Even the Starbucks closes at 6. Any phrase involving "party" and "downtown" referring to Ottawa is definitely a falsism.

I totally agree with you. It's a different setup. If the Bell Centre was in Laval there probably wouldn't be as big an issue either, because you don't have riled up fans+riled up bargoers all congregating to celebrate.
I'm from Renfrew (the "jewel" of the Ottawa Valley), and I lived in Ottawa during my 5 years of university at Carleton so I know the city quite well. I agree, it's a lame party place compared to most other cities. It just seems to have a less fun population base for some reason (if that makes sense). However, there are some good times to be had in Ottawa. I highly recommend you hit up the market on Canada Day at some point in your lifetime.

Anyways, from everything I've seen and heard, the playoff run did lead to a fairly large amount of revelry downtown Ottawa. However, it was pretty low-key in comparison to Calgary, Edmonton and what will be seen this year in Montreal. Considering that a large portion of university/college students are out of the city in May/June, I'm not surprised that crowds were a little quieter. I don't think this is because the Sens fans are less energetic or enthusiastic, the one's I know are pretty intense actually. I think part of the reason why there was little to no troublemaking is partly the personality of the city, but the main factor was the layout/logisitics of the situation I explained earlier.

Old
04-24-2008, 10:07 AM
LyleOdelein

Quote:
Originally Posted by senators2007 View Post

To be fair, nobody knows where Renfrew is!

In a nutshell, it's the home of Ted Lindsay, Jim Peplinski, the Renfrew Millionaires and the Brad Marsh Fan Club!!!!!!!

Old
04-26-2008, 02:12 AM
SilverSeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckeater View Post
The comparison between Montreal and Ottawa is like a comparison between the Rolling Stones and the Hansons.
Aww come on. Not all Montrealers have long euro trashy hair like the Hansons do.

Dont take anything you read in the Sun seriously. End of story.

On a side note....whats with the constant need to put Ottawa as a city down? Trash the fanbase and the team and yadda yadda....thats all part of the fun...but I dont get the whole "Ottawa is boring" crap. Its small compared to Montreal. Thats all there is to it. Montreal is boring compared to NYC or London or LA. Its an issue of size, nothing more. It seems like many people judge how fun a city is on bars and clubs and nothing else.

SilverSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2008, 02:49 AM
Go Habs Go

Now we know why the Leafs hate Ottawa more then Montreal now.

Go Habs Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2008, 06:05 AM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by airic000 View Post
The one day I actually decide to read the Ottawa Sun, I fell upon this this article written by the mayor of Ottawa's Chief of Staff (Walter Robinson) that really ticked me off as a Habs fan and as a quebecker. This guy is a rep who works for Mayor O'Brien and he decided to bash Montreal and explain why Ottawa's fans and why Ottawa's mayor is so much better. He forgot to mention that Ottawa's mayor is criminal but that's a side issue.

Although, I didn't support the rioting whatsoever but this guy is on crack if he thinks Ottawa is better than Montreal. It's not our fault we actually care about our hockey team!

http://www.ottawasun.com/Comment/200...62796-sun.html
How many times does this have to be said. It is a Sun tabloid. A rag for knuckle-draggers. If you are looking for reason and objectivity, you do not get it in the Sun

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2008, 07:47 AM
mrCoffea*

designated "party" area is something you set up for a bunch of high school kids

It's pretty lame if you ask me

mrCoffea* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2008, 09:02 AM
Carbo N8

Maybe I'm missing the point here, but, I don't see how burning police cars & looting stores is equated with partying & revelry connected to winning a playoff series.

If these louts were simply partying & having a good time the police would have had a much easier night & this doesn't warrant 1 line in the Nepean This Week.

Carbo N8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2008, 09:53 AM
HabsoluteFate

Didnt fans "riot" the last time Canada won the Olympics Gold medal in Ottawa?

or are they going to blame that on Montreal fans in Ottawa?

HabsoluteFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2008, 06:30 PM
pepty

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrCoffea View Post
designated "party" area is something you set up for a bunch of high school kids

It's pretty lame if you ask me
What is meant by designated party area was really that they closed off traffic to Elgin Street.

I have heard it suggested that if the cops in Montreal had just closed off traffic rather than trying to force the crowds back to let traffic through, that things might have gone better there.

In Ottawa there were several thusand poeple on the Sens Mile as well as several thousand more in the market and again thousands more at the beer tents and screens set up around Soctia Bank Place,

So there was celebrating all over, but the crowds were not altogether in one place..
It was pretty great though.

Because there had been rioting in Edmonton the year before there was lots of police presence on Elgin Street and probably on the market too.

It was pure joy though,for Sens fans,even though, in our small town way, we didnt burn any cars.

pepty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2008, 06:35 PM
kernkraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor House View Post
Ottawa is bland and insipid city with zero character (like their hockey franchise) - Montreal is vibrant, energetic and full of hot babes that dress skimpily in the hot Spring/Summer months.
Montreal is a ****hole where I would never live. Have you even been to Ottawa?

kernkraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2008, 06:49 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

There are more Habs fans than Sens fans in Ottawa from my experience. A lot of bitter people in Ottawa, they don't want us to succeed more than them, our city is also better...what do they have to beat us now...nothing!

No wonder we see the real face of Sens fans on HF. Last year they were all nice because we didn't make the playoffs and now that we're in and going deeper than them they absolutely can't stand it. Pretty dumb to say the least as I felt we were sorta like brothers and sisters especially that a lot of us pulled for them last year. Now I hope that organization crashes and burns in years of misery.

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2008, 06:57 PM
nikrag03*

Send a message via MSN to nikrag03*
Quote:
Originally Posted by kernkraft View Post
Montreal is a ****hole where I would never live. Have you even been to Ottawa?
Doesn't Ottawa close at like, 8 pm?

nikrag03* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2008, 07:13 PM
Mathieu21

Send a message via MSN to Mathieu21
Ottawa isn't a hockey city.

Mathieu21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2008, 07:52 PM
katieboo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikrag03 View Post
Doesn't Ottawa close at like, 8 pm?
Hahahahaha! Good one

katieboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2008, 08:00 PM
skule123

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepty View Post
It was pure joy though,for Sens fans,even though, in our small town way, we didnt burn any cars.
It's just too bad what happened to Renee Luck.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/ottawa/stor...7.html?ref=rss

But then again, it's not worth judging the entire group of Senators fans for something foolish done by a small number of them, right? That would be like judging all Habs fans for something done by a small number of them, which probably isn't the best way to reach a reasonable conclusion.

Sens fans (and Hab fans doing the same), do you consider that a reasonable course of action going forward?

Last edited by skule123: 04-26-2008 at 08:06 PM.
skule123 is offline   Reply With Quote