HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

Dolphin fans...........

Old
04-26-2008, 07:00 PM
clemsonRanger

vCash: 500
and we dont need a QB, lets give beck a real shot, and tuna likes him alot, Tony Romo?

clemsonRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2008, 07:54 PM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
I like the Merling pick. A lot of Dolphins fans were complaining that we didn't pick Groves, but the only reason we were looking at Groves is because we assumed guys we had ranked above him (like Merling) would already be gone.

He was projected as a mid-late first round pick and we picked him up in the second round. Not bad if you ask me.

I'm kinda torn on the Henne pick. I'll never complain about us drafting a QB until we find a suitable long term solution and competition is always a great thing. However, I really want to see us draft a corner. King and Godfrey look like good players and at least one of them will be available with the first pick tomorrow.

An interesting note: all of our players were ranked in the first 30 by ESPN.

Rattrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2008, 08:20 PM
sensfan31

I am shocked Green Bay took our QB on us. Henne is ok, but i expected to get Brohm.

sensfan31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2008, 08:29 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensfan31 View Post
I am shocked Green Bay took our QB on us. Henne is ok, but i expected to get Brohm.
Henne has a better arm than Brohm. Im happy with the Henne pick. Merling is good too because he was projected to go in the first. I would of like to see them go after the WR Devin Thomas or the CB Brandon Flowers, but in Parcells I trust.

pb1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2008, 09:17 PM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
Henne has a better arm than Brohm. Im happy with the Henne pick. Merling is good too because he was projected to go in the first. I would of like to see them go after the WR Devin Thomas or the CB Brandon Flowers, but in Parcells I trust.
Keep in mind Tuna said his main focus was to make this a bigger and tougher team and I think he did that with all three picks today, I give it a this draft a A- so far for us.

The only negative was all the BS rumors surrounding JT today, really took up too much of my time following this today.

04-26-2008, 09:28 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Bass View Post
Keep in mind Tuna said his main focus was to make this a bigger and tougher team and I think he did that with all three picks today, I give it a this draft a A- so far for us.

The only negative was all the BS rumors surrounding JT today, really took up too much of my time following this today.
Yeah, I fortunately saw it once and didn't think much else about it. I figured Tampa was a good place for him and they're not a team I hate.

I'm more surprised noone talked about the Booker for a 4th trade, I'm kinda surprised he's gone. Hopefully Brown stays healthy and Ricky's something worthwhile.

I really like all the picks. Not too sure on the Henne pick, but we needed another QB. I think our most pressing need is on the corner and at receiver.

04-26-2008, 09:35 PM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
I'm more surprised noone talked about the Booker for a 4th trade, I'm kinda surprised he's gone. Hopefully Brown stays healthy and Ricky's something worthwhile.
Yeah, the guys on my Dolphin board were and still are up in arms about trading away Booker because if Ricky hits the bong again and RB can't stay healthy we are screwed. But then again we don't know what Tuna has up his sleeve.

Also if you think about it we basically traded Booker for Ayodele and Fasano so we still made out when the day is done.

Ronnie Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2008, 09:42 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Bass View Post
Yeah, the guys on my Dolphin board were and still are up in arms about trading away Booker because if Ricky hits the bong again and RB can't stay healthy we are screwed. But then again we don't know what Tuna has up his sleeve.

Also if you think about it we basically traded Booker for Ayodele and Fasano so we still made out when the day is done.
I agree, and I really like how they're obvioiusly building through the draft. Re-building the right way, not through free agency. I'm just disappointed that Booker's gone and that it was only a 4th. We don't, like you said, know what Tuna's thinking. I'll trust him.

Laus723 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2008, 09:55 PM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensfan31 View Post

I wanted Brohm also. We were only 1 pick away. Maybe it was a blessing in disguise that we ended up with Henne. A friend of mine is a real big Michigan fan and has told me we got a steal picking Henne up with the 57th pick. He said he is very strong in the pocket and is very, very sharp on short passes. I hope he fits in well here. He should have some time to learn the offense so I don't expect him to get much playing time until next year.

Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2008, 10:00 PM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer View Post
I wanted Brohm also. We were only 1 pick away. Maybe it was a blessing in disguise that we ended up with Henne. A friend of mine is a real big Michigan fan and has told me we got a steal picking Henne up with the 57th pick. He said he is very strong in the pocket and is very, very sharp on short passes. I hope he fits in well here. He should have some time to learn the offense so I don't expect him to get much playing time until next year.
Funny your friend said that because I was watching this on youtube and that was the first thing I noticed was how fast and accurate he was with the short pass:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uygjoeTs9rw

Ronnie Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2008, 10:09 PM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

I think the Phins will go with one of the three below with tommorrow's 1st pick in the 3rd round(64th overall):

WR Mario Manningham - Michigan --- Trifecta getting 3 players from Michigan and getting someone who can help make Henne's transition a little easier because he has played with him for a couple years. He had 7 games last year in which he had 100+ yards receiving and 4 of those games he had 2 TD's. All those games but 1 were QB'd by Henne.

or

SS Dajuan Morgan - North Carolina State --- This might be the pick if they want the best player available. This guy was projected to possibly go late in the 1st.

or

Trade down a couple of spots for an extra pick and still take WR Manningham or if he's not there take WR Doucet out of LSU.

Last edited by Beezer: 04-26-2008 at 10:22 PM.
Old
04-26-2008, 10:59 PM
AntonFromAppState
hockeytalkuncensored

I'm pretty satisfied with the draft so far. But why did Tampa have to draft someone from my college? O well glad to see someone from app get drafted instead of just signed.

AntonFromAppState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2008, 12:27 AM
Heimy

I'm hoping we can grab Kevin Smith tomorrow. Dan Connor would be a great pick-up too but it seems less likely after the Dallas deal.

Heimy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2008, 01:39 AM
CanadianPantherFan

I'm not big College football fan ,but from all indications the Cowboys had a great 1st day at the draft

It's not like we need a lot like some teams You guys can have Tuna/scraps on the table from the old regiman.

Don't hate guys Oh.... and there is only ONE Tony Romo

CanadianPantherFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2008, 06:08 AM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
I think the Phins will go with one of the three below with tommorrow's 1st pick in the 3rd round(64th overall):

WR Mario Manningham - Michigan --- Trifecta getting 3 players from Michigan and getting someone who can help make Henne's transition a little easier because he has played with him for a couple years. He had 7 games last year in which he had 100+ yards receiving and 4 of those games he had 2 TD's. All those games but 1 were QB'd by Henne.

or

SS Dajuan Morgan - North Carolina State --- This might be the pick if they want the best player available. This guy was projected to possibly go late in the 1st.

or

Trade down a couple of spots for an extra pick and still take WR Manningham or if he's not there take WR Doucet out of LSU.
The trifecta (or whatever you want to call them) value character and there's a big question mark about Manningham with the pot smoking & the lying. Not to mention his speed isnt good and I think thats an issue too. I'm sure they'll pass on him.

Not sure where you got your info from but Morgan was not projected as a late 1st ever. He was always behind Kenny Phillips and Tyrell Johnson. And why would Miami want to take him when there are several players ranked higher too? Morgan is not the best player available.

Trading down would make the most sense and possibly the one thing that will happen because some team will want this pick. But if they keep it I could see them looking at DT Pat Sims out of Auburn (prob could wait till the 4th), WR Andre Caldwell from UF (his speed & size would be perfect), or OL John Greco out of Toledo (this is my pick as it solidifies the line and they like him a lot).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heimy View Post
I'm hoping we can grab Kevin Smith tomorrow. Dan Connor would be a great pick-up too but it seems less likely after the Dallas deal.
Connor I liked too till I read more up on him. His speed isn't great and he's projected to be a strong side linebacker at the NFL level. At this point, Miami has other needs to fill. Smith would be a good pick if they're worried about Ricky but there are other RBs that possibly could be a better fit for the new regime I think. I have a belief that they'll wait till later in the draft to get a RB, especially after trading Booker yesterday.

BTW, finally my alma mater gets a guy in the 1st round again, RB Chris Johnson. I like him going to Tennessee and can't wait for the Jags vs Titans game in Jacksonville this yr cause I'm going to see Garrard and him play.

Coolburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2008, 07:48 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Just realized this. We now have a Michigan tackle and a Michigan QB throwing to Ted Ginn. Just made me chuckle.

Still think we need a receiver and corner.

Incidentally, if Taylor does go to Tampa, instead of all picks I'd like to see them get Sab Pischitelli back. He's a big, hard-hitting safety that's been talked up quite a bit. He's a friend of mine, so it was good to hear what everyone had to say. He grew up a few houses away from me.
He did injure his ankle pretty bad, but when I saw him a few months ago he said it was feeling great and he couldn't wait to play. I just think it'd be real cool to see him play for his hometown team, and I think he's part of what we're missing. He's supposed to start this season, but Phillips (I believe it was him) had a very good season last year so he may be available in some kind of a Taylor trade.

Just wishing out loud.

Old
04-27-2008, 08:20 AM
NJ_CATS_FAN
We Suck Yet Again

Quote:
I agree. We definitely need to make him the first pick today. We still need a WR and a CB, but we just lost Booker, so we cant pass on Smith.

NJ_CATS_FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2008, 08:58 AM
Rattrick

Quote:
I'd love to see that too. As a UCF alumni and season ticket holder last year, I honestly think Smith's game will transfer to the NFL pretty well. He had one of the fastest 40 times at the combine and he's great at finding holes and hitting them full speed. That type of back should perform better in the NFL than someone who is more physical and tries to overpower guys.

However, even more than RB I still think we need a CB more than anything. OL and CB have been our biggest weaknesses for 4-5 years IMO.

Old
04-27-2008, 09:12 AM
Rattrick

Well, there goes Kevin Smith with the first pick in the 3rd round to Detroit. I'm happy for him and hope he does really well. He's got some offensive weapons to work with there so hopefully he's on the field a bit more.

Unfortunately, the Dolphins didn't take a CB.

Old
04-27-2008, 12:45 PM
PanthersRule96

Andre Caldwell is going to be a good player wherever he goes...... He's so fast and would have been incredible this year for us had he stayed healthy the whole season.

PanthersRule96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2008, 08:27 PM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
The trifecta (or whatever you want to call them) value character and there's a big question mark about Manningham with the pot smoking & the lying. Not to mention his speed isnt good and I think thats an issue too. I'm sure they'll pass on him.

Not sure where you got your info from but Morgan was not projected as a late 1st ever. He was always behind Kenny Phillips and Tyrell Johnson. And why would Miami want to take him when there are several players ranked higher too? Morgan is not the best player available.

Trading down would make the most sense and possibly the one thing that will happen because some team will want this pick. But if they keep it I could see them looking at DT Pat Sims out of Auburn (prob could wait till the 4th), WR Andre Caldwell from UF (his speed & size would be perfect), or OL John Greco out of Toledo (this is my pick as it solidifies the line and they like him a lot).Connor I liked too till I read more up on him. His speed isn't great and he's projected to be a strong side linebacker at the NFL level. At this point, Miami has other needs to fill. Smith would be a good pick if they're worried about Ricky but there are other RBs that possibly could be a better fit for the new regime I think. I have a belief that they'll wait till later in the draft to get a RB, especially after trading Booker yesterday.

BTW, finally my alma mater gets a guy in the 1st round again, RB Chris Johnson. I like him going to Tennessee and can't wait for the Jags vs Titans game in Jacksonville this yr cause I'm going to see Garrard and him play.

I got the info from Rivals.com - They said he was projected to be a borderline 1st/2nd round pick.

Old
04-27-2008, 08:28 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

vCash: 373
Hey guys just stopping by to say you drafted a kid I graduated from high school with, which is pretty cool. Lex Hilliard out of U of Montana. He's a pretty good guy works hard and was a beast for the Griz and our HS team. Anyway it's cool to see someone you know get drafted and I hope he works out.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2008, 06:33 AM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
I got the info from Rivals.com - They said he was projected to be a borderline 1st/2nd round pick.
Wow, Rivals had him ranked higher than Kenny Phillips. That right there should have been a sign that they were completely inaccurate. Morgan doesnt have good range or is very good in man situations. I think he's just going to be a special teams player in the NFL. I would've taken Tom Zibokowski way before him and he wasnt rated as high. Still why would Miami draft a safety when they have like 7 already signed, literally (J. Allen, Crocker, Y. Bell, R. Hill, Davis, C. Bryan, J. Perry). You can draft for value but when you're that deep at a position, there's no reason to waste a pick like that when you have SOOO many other holes to fill.

And from what I read, Miami wanted Greco but traded down figuring he would still be there in 2 picks. They guessed wrong on that one.

Coolburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2008, 08:29 AM
NJ_CATS_FAN
We Suck Yet Again

Overall, it was a great draft by Miami. It wasnt exciting and no real "sexy" picks, but Parcells has just built our OL and DL. He also got our QB, which we knew was coming. With the trade of Booker to Philly, we needed another RB and he got us 2. Both of which, according to profiles and analysis, compare to a Marion Barber. We also needed to get a WR, which we didnt draft, but we did sign as a UDFA yesterday, the WR from Hawaii, Davone Bess. This kid is the real deal. He was a 2nd to 3rd round projection, yet went undrafted, but is now signed with Miami. This is a great pickup. We can expect more UDFA signings, but this was a great draft.

NJ_CATS_FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2008, 11:50 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Phins add 7...

Including 2 receivers, a QB, and another Tackle.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/f...,7027592.story