HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Better Quiet than Riot (Ottawa Sun)

Old
04-26-2008, 08:05 PM
Spectaculard

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Spectaculard
Quote:
Originally Posted by kernkraft View Post
Montreal is a ****hole where I would never live. Have you even been to Ottawa?
lol

Takes one to know one.

Spectaculard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2008, 08:21 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathieu21 View Post
Ottawa isn't a hockey city.
Quite true. But a half naked actor on ice can
get a job trying to make a team of chokers
believe they can pass off as a hockey team...

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2008, 09:01 PM
s0m3oNe

This whole comparison of which city is better is just stupid. They are 2 completely different types of cities, so obviously you're going to get different types of people. I spent a weeks in both Ottawa and Montreal about a month ago, and while I loved both cities, they were very different. Montreal obviously seemed like a more exciting city, but that's just because of the size and amount of people.

Ottawa has more of a small-town feel to it, there aren't as many people, and there may not be as much to do, but from the actual people I talked to in both cities, the people were much friendlier in Ottawa.

Anyways this whole argument is just stupid.

s0m3oNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2008, 10:52 PM
Kruky

Quote:
Originally Posted by airic000 View Post
The one day I actually decide to read the Ottawa Sun, I fell upon this this article written by the mayor of Ottawa's Chief of Staff (Walter Robinson) that really ticked me off as a Habs fan and as a quebecker. This guy is a rep who works for Mayor O'Brien and he decided to bash Montreal and explain why Ottawa's fans and why Ottawa's mayor is so much better. He forgot to mention that Ottawa's mayor is criminal but that's a side issue.

Although, I didn't support the rioting whatsoever but this guy is on crack if he thinks Ottawa is better than Montreal. It's not our fault we actually care about our hockey team!

http://www.ottawasun.com/Comment/200...62796-sun.html
He used to work for the mayor, he resign last year.

Kruky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2008, 11:18 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0m3oNe View Post
Ottawa has more of a small-town feel to it, there aren't as many people, and there may not be as much to do, but from the actual people I talked to in both cities, the people were much friendlier in Ottawa.
Hey i lived in Ottawa four years and people were much more haughty and always had that 'mightier than thou' attitude.

I actually remember shopping and asking questions in French to a saleswoman who would not respond or notice me.So, to have some service in the Capital of our officially BILINGUAL country, i had to complain in French to the manager who then served me quite well.

And then i went by that saleswoman and proceeded to tell her how bad her work ethic was and i chewed her out for at least two minutes in an accentless English.

I'll say one thing for Montreal, people who know just a little English will speak it badly and all and not be understood but they will make the effort to help. And that i respect.

As for Ottawa being a hockey town..
well that is just not possible.
Choking hockey teams never make
for a hockey town.

Old
04-27-2008, 12:47 AM
s0m3oNe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Poutine View Post
Hey i lived in Ottawa four years and people were much more haughty and always had that 'mightier than thou' attitude.

I actually remember shopping and asking questions in French to a saleswoman who would not respond or notice me.So, to have some service in the Capital of our officially BILINGUAL country, i had to complain in French to the manager who then served me quite well.

And then i went by that saleswoman and proceeded to tell her how bad her work ethic was and i chewed her out for at least two minutes in an accentless English.

I'll say one thing for Montreal, people who know just a little English will speak it badly and all and not be understood but they will make the effort to help. And that i respect.

for a hockey town.

Well I was just speaking from a 1 week experience, I guess you'll find rude people anywhere you go. I was surprised myself at the lack of bilingualism in Ottawa though, which is why Montreal is one of my favorite cities to visit, love the culture there.

The one thing you do have to remember about Ottawa is that they are a new team. Everyone there that is over the age of 25 most likely had a favorite hockey team before the current Senators came into the NHL, so the support for the team won't be as widespread throughout the city as it is in Montreal.

Old
04-27-2008, 12:48 AM
Roy G Biv*

Quote:

That's not "holier than thou"?

Jesus...

Roy G Biv* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2008, 12:57 AM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0m3oNe View Post
The one thing you do have to remember about Ottawa is that they are a new team. ...
Uh.. thats not a good excuse. Ottawa may be a "new team" (199293) but the the Tampa Bay Lightning were born the same year and THEY have won a Cup...

Old
04-27-2008, 01:01 AM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy G Biv View Post
That's not "holier than thou"?

Jesus...
No, thats just one person wanting to be served in French in the city that promotes bilingualism throughout this bilingual country.

You dont speak French i see.

Old
04-27-2008, 02:01 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Ten years ago I hitchiked around the east of Canada with one of my friend. I kid you not the moment we landed in Ottawa we both fell asleep.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2008, 02:09 AM
mayoradamwest*

Quote:
No, thats just one person wanting to be served in French in the city that promotes bilingualism throughout this bilingual country.

You dont speak French i see.
I speak French. I also speak English. I wouldn't go anywhere in the world however and get mad at somebody for not speaking my language. Arrogance?

mayoradamwest* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2008, 02:16 AM
s0m3oNe

Quote:
Uh.. thats not a good excuse. Ottawa may be a "new team" (199293) but the the Tampa Bay Lightning were born the same year and THEY have won a Cup...
I wasn't making excuses as to why they haven't won a cup, but a possible reason for not having as many hardcore fans as the Habs do. And I guess I only mean "new team" in comparison to the Habs

Old
04-27-2008, 04:42 AM
Willis

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepty View Post
What is meant by designated party area was really that they closed off traffic to Elgin Street.

I have heard it suggested that if the cops in Montreal had just closed off traffic rather than trying to force the crowds back to let traffic through, that things might have gone better there.

In Ottawa there were several thusand poeple on the Sens Mile as well as several thousand more in the market and again thousands more at the beer tents and screens set up around Soctia Bank Place,

So there was celebrating all over, but the crowds were not altogether in one place..
It was pretty great though.

Because there had been rioting in Edmonton the year before there was lots of police presence on Elgin Street and probably on the market too.

It was pure joy though,for Sens fans,even though, in our small town way, we didnt burn any cars.
Is it not possible that people in Ottawa are more reserved vs the other 5 cities in Canada. I mean in Edmonton they called in additional police officers from other forces in Alberta and people still went nuts and well we know Montreal would have had knowledge of events in Edmonton as well as Ottawa and things still went off. We know people went a little crazt in Calgary as well. I am not sure what would happen in Toronto as it has not happened in my life time (well that of most Canadians actually) but I am sure if they did ever get to the finals and win the cup the city will probably be leveled. Lets put it this way 100K people in the streets of any major city in Canada who start going wild are not going to be stopped by the police force of any city in the country. You cannot prepare for it no matter what.

Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2008, 07:18 AM
GNick42

Quote:
Originally Posted by airic000 View Post
The one day I actually decide to read the Ottawa Sun, I fell upon this this article written by the mayor of Ottawa's Chief of Staff (Walter Robinson) that really ticked me off as a Habs fan and as a quebecker. This guy is a rep who works for Mayor O'Brien and he decided to bash Montreal and explain why Ottawa's fans and why Ottawa's mayor is so much better. He forgot to mention that Ottawa's mayor is criminal but that's a side issue.

Although, I didn't support the rioting whatsoever but this guy is on crack if he thinks Ottawa is better than Montreal. It's not our fault we actually care about our hockey team!

http://www.ottawasun.com/Comment/200...62796-sun.html

Easy for the mayor of Ottawa to say though...hockey is not the same in Ottawa as in Montreal. In Ottawa it is a sport but in Montreal it is a religion

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2008, 10:27 AM
pepty

vCash: 400
[QUOTE=Ice Poutine;13881524]As for Ottawa being a hockey town..
for a hockey town./QUOTE]

Just imagine for a moment, should Montreal lose this series, seeing that they are the top seed, does that make the Habs chokers, and does that mean that Montreal is no longer a hockey town?

Last year the Sens had home ice advantage in only one of the series, yet still walked thorugh the Eastern Conference,and lost in the finals. Or you could say they lost if it was any team but the Sens, with the Sens of course, they never lose it seems, they only choke.

You often hear how the Sens were Presidents Trophy winners who choked in the playoffs, but the one year they were Presidents Trophy winners, the went out in the 7th game of the ECF having come back from 3-1 and lost in the 7th game to the eventual Stanley Cup winners.

As far as losing to the Leafs, in 3 of of the 4 metings, the Leafs were seeded over the Sens and would be expected to win.

So if the Habs lose now, will they be chokers or will they be like the Leafs-always confident going in, but if they lose saying that they were not expected to get that far anyway, yada yada.

With the Sens its probably a by product of getting into the playoffs every year for 12 years.They have won everything except the Cup and that's all that counts any more in Ottawa.

However, if the Sens lose, no matter where they were seeeded or how their season went, or how devestating the injuries, its always a choke.

pepty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2008, 10:46 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:

for a hockey town.

this doesn't sound like a problem with Ottawa or with a salesperson. It was you who had the full ability to communicate in the situation yet you refused to do so until it suited you.

You have a right to shop wherever you wish but you don't have some charter protected right to be communicated with in the language of your choosing.

Sorry dude, you're barking up the wrong tree on this one.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2008, 02:24 PM
mcphee

So, I see we're all still colectively trying to prove whose is bigger. Myself, I'm a Habs fan, always have been always will be. I used to pick for the Sens, #2, a lot of kids I know do, and I get a kick out of them, but they sort of irritate me a bit now.

I love Mtl, my hometown, and enjoy Ottawa when I'm there. I know plenty of nice people, find stuff to do, enjoy the small town within a city atmosphere though, sadly it's dimishing.

I don't like endless suburbia and all it brings, and I find Ottawa, esp. west of the city has become an unbearable example of this. I could make the same example of teh West Island of Mtl where people feel privileged to Circke Fairview in search of a parking spot. Not for me.

As cities, both have a lot to offer. I find doing stuff with kids easier in Ottawa, more easily accesible activities, adult stuff, sorry Ottawa, not even close.

I don't quite see the need to crap on one to build up the other though. As for language expectations, if I'm in a Mtl East fast food restaurant, it wouldn't occur to me to speak English, farther west, it would. In Ottawa, depends where I guess. Head away from Ottawa on old 17 and you won't hear much English. That's fine, people find a way to communicate, enjoy the difference.

As far some yahoo in the Sun, who cares.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2008, 03:19 PM
SilverSeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathieu21 View Post
Ottawa isn't a hockey city.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GNick42 View Post
Easy for the mayor of Ottawa to say though...hockey is not the same in Ottawa as in Montreal. In Ottawa it is a sport but in Montreal it is a religion
Some of you are clearly confusing hockey with the NHL.

In Montreal the NHL is a religion. In Ottawa we care about all levels of hockey.

SilverSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2008, 01:38 PM
Terrier

Quote:
Quite true. But a half naked actor on ice can
get a job trying to make a team of chokers
believe they can pass off as a hockey team...

I saw that live on CBC here south of the border. The guy could barely keep his helmet on. He sounded like Lord Humungus in "The Road Warrior".

http://youtube.com/watch?v=_TL4XZdyo3g

Terrier is offline   Reply With Quote