HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How silimar are these Game 1 losses 95 Nords/08 Pens

Old
04-26-2008, 05:21 PM
DaBadGuy7

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to DaBadGuy7
How silimar are these Game 1 losses 95 Nords/08 Pens

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfOB3jzfpoU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gipTivjGr-s

In both games the Rangers blew a 3 goal lead and lost the game the same score to 5-4. Both the Nordiques and Penguins who are young teams that are Cup contenders in the making but are inexperienced. Both games allowed a late goal against their best player( Crosby and Sakic). Both teams are questionable goaltenders who people wondered if they handle the playoff pressure(Fiset and Fleury). We know the Rangers came in Game 2 and rocked Fiset in a 8-3 victory in Game 2. How silimar are these series look so far? And can the Rangers take advantage of the inexperienced Pens?

DaBadGuy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2008, 05:40 PM
GothamRanger

Send a message via AIM to GothamRanger
Well it's only one game, but you are right, there are some daunting similarities. No one expected the 8th place Rangers to pull out of that series taking on the first seed. Collin Campbell was an underrated coach, and was able to tame the Nordiques firepower. I think our team is a lot more on equal footing with the Pens than the Rangers were with the Nords in 1995. We didn't have much of a chance against the teams like PHI, NJD and DET back then, but even down 0-1 against the Pens, the Rangers are still on of the favors to win the Cup this year.

Also, that Nords team was just coming together with Sakic leading the way and Forsberg being the rookie. The Pens have already been to the playoffs last year with the same team and won a series this year.

If we can steal one game on the road, I think the Garden will be a good place to build some steam to take back to the Igloo, as was the case in 1995.

PS, its amazing how FOX and ESPN had better production values 13 years ago compared to cheese ABC/NBC/VS today.

The Penguin: "You don't think you'll actually WIN, do you???"
Batman: "Things change."

GothamRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2008, 05:44 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Man I miss that National Hockey Night music.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2008, 07:14 PM
mrhockey193195

Quote:
Originally Posted by PruBlue25 View Post
Man I miss that National Hockey Night music.
Same

mrhockey193195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2008, 08:30 PM
vladmyir111

vCash: 50
Man that ***** like back to the future, how is it possible that we have actually regressed in the field of sports coverage?

vladmyir111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2008, 11:59 PM
bobbop
Henrik & Pop

I was thinking about that game today. The Rangers were leading 4-2 deep into the game but got caught and beat at the end. Joe Sakic was brilliant that night. The one thing I though that did Quebec in (other than Andy Van Hellemond in game 3) was that their young players lost their poise as the series tilted against them. Interesting to see if the same dynamic takes hold here. One other note -- the Nordiques, reincarnated as the Colorado Avalanche, won the Stanley Cup the next year.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2008, 12:48 PM
cityhockeyfever

Well then, I hope history repeats itself by getting a win today and going from there to win this series. I have Games 5 and 6 of that 1995 Nordiques/Rangers series on tape and back then, the Rangers simply played well enough on both ends of the ice (especially the clincher) to take out Quebec. I don't think the Penguins are quite the same as that Nordiques team, but the Rangers are more than capable of defeating them.

Oh, and I completely agree... the theme music for ESPN Hockey Night and the NHL on ABC so squashes today's that we hear from NBC and Versus. And ESPN did a better job in the 1990s with the NHL. Too bad those idiots at ESPN decided to turn their collective backs on the sport. They want to redeem themselves? Do a complete 180 and join Versus in cable television coverage. AND bring back that same music. Maybe NBC and ABC can both do games, but that's wishful thinking.

Last edited by cityhockeyfever: 04-27-2008 at 12:55 PM.
cityhockeyfever is offline   Reply With Quote