HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What does that team need?

Old
04-27-2008, 08:28 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by drez54 View Post
Datsyuk, 6th round (171st)
Zetterberg, 7th round (210th)
Holmstrom, 10th round (257th)

That's an entire first line drafted in the sixth round or later. Then you've got earlier picks in the line-up, like...

Lidstrom, 3rd round (53rd)
Hudler, 2nd round (58th)
Franzen, 3rd round (97th)
Filpulla, 3rd round (95th)
Kronwall, 1st round (29th)

Losing Matthias for Bertuzzi was a loss, but it isn't like they don't have the talent now to off-set it. They not be afraid to deal away youth, but that doesn't mean they don't keep what they have, either.
Hmm I think I get a better idea of what you meant. I don't know if "Product of Good Drafting" is the right phrase. I'd say Detroit is a product of excellent coaching and molded exceptional players from diamonds in the rough.

Then again my idea of good Drafting might not be right either. The first teams that came to mind were Pittsburgh and Chicago. I guess if you don't mess up a top 5 pick you're a decent drafter in my books.

You do bring up a good point though Detroit front office is certainly doing something right.

Sined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2008, 09:01 PM
HamrlikTheStud*

From the UFA game in the Rumours/Signing board :

If I were Bob Gainey, here is the Montreal Canadiens roster for the 08-09 season, with 3,5M remaining under the salary cap :

Kovalev - Koivu - Hossa
Naslund - Plekanec - A. Kostitsyn
Latendresse - Higgins - S. Kostitsyn
Begin - Lapierre - Kostopoulos

Markov - Komisarek
Hamrlik - O'Byrne
Bouillon - Gorges

Price
Halak

Not so bad

HamrlikTheStud* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2008, 09:08 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by HF-Addict View Post
Chipchura is nothing like Morrow
He's a ****ing rookie. Of course he's not like Morrow right now.

But you're saying Morrow is not good on the boards? Not tough? Not hockey smart? Not good defensively? Not a good leader?

Maybe I don't see as much of Morrow as you do. But what does Morrow bring?

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2008, 09:09 PM
redmachine54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sined View Post
Hmm I think I get a better idea of what you meant. I don't know if "Product of Good Drafting" is the right phrase. I'd say Detroit is a product of excellent coaching and molded exceptional players from diamonds in the rough.

Then again my idea of good Drafting might not be right either. The first teams that came to mind were Pittsburgh and Chicago. I guess if you don't mess up a top 5 pick you're a decent drafter in my books.

You do bring up a good point though Detroit front office is certainly doing something right.
Coaching is definitely a factor as well, and I suppose narrowing it down to drafting was too narrow. This is a team that lost presence after presence (Yzerman, Shanahan) and still remained good.

I think it's just a great organization, probably one for most franchises to look up to.

redmachine54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2008, 11:32 PM
Nitehowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamrlikTheStud View Post
To be honest, not that much...

But will Kovalev be a PPG player next year? He is getting older, and while I think he will have at least 70 points next year, what happens if he gets hurt? This team breathes because of Kovalev, and losing him would really hurt us.

We need another great forward to take the go-to-guy role if something unfortunate happens.

Marian Hossa or Markus Naslund is what I think about. It could be someone else though. But we don't ABSOLUTELY need them.

I would add another veteran D on our defense. Brisebois will likely get a job on the second floor. If it's the case, I would like Redden. He had a couple of off years, but he's experienced and I'm sure he would get the opportunity to revenge playing 8 times a year against his former team. As a 2nd pairing D-Man, he would be all right. If he takes less than 5 Millions, I say bring him in.
Both are not worth the money they are looking for...both on the downhill side of their career. I could see the value Hossa brings as he is younger and in a way is like Kovalev in that he can create alot of chances on his own.

Nitehowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2008, 11:42 PM
HF-Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
He's a ****ing rookie. Of course he's not like Morrow right now.

But you're saying Morrow is not good on the boards? Not tough? Not hockey smart? Not good defensively? Not a good leader?

Maybe I don't see as much of Morrow as you do. But what does Morrow bring?
Chipchura doesn't use his body 1/1000 of what Morrow does. Morrow brings physical play with an offensive upside. Until Chipchura shows he can use his body to be physical (Which he hasn't done with the Habs, often shying away from contact) I don't see any Morrow in Chipchura at all, since what defines Morrow is his physical presence.

We need a Morrow-type forward. Not afraid to hit and takes hit.

HF-Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2008, 11:44 PM
Beaker
In My Lab Goggles

Let me show you all the way:

+

=

Beaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2008, 11:44 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by HF-Addict View Post
Chipchura doesn't use his body 1/1000 of what Morrow does. Morrow brings physical play with an offensive upside. Until Chipchura shows he can use his body to be physical (Which he hasn't done with the Habs, often shying away from contact) I don't see any Morrow in Chipchura at all, since what defines Morrow is his physical presence.

We need a Morrow-type forward. Not afraid to hit and takes hit.
So Pacioretty then?

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2008, 11:46 PM
HF-Addict

Quote:
So Pacioretty then?
Well, I have never seen Pacioretty play, but from every scout report. I would say physically this is much more accurate. Seems like a tough fearless player that one! But as I said, never seen him play so...

HF-Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2008, 01:17 AM
Kikizaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montral Shadow View Post
I was thinking, what Montreal needs to be a legit top franchise in the league. So far, there is a young promising goalie(Hope he doesn't end up like Raycroft or Ward), a lot of young promising forwards. The only thing that bothers me is the Defence. I still think it's not solid enough, it really misses something. We saw Montreal doesn't need a big forward such as Hossa(Or am I wrong) but I think they need a solid Defenceman.

Markov, Hamrlik, Komisarek are the only ones I consider good D. O'Byrne and Gorges are still very young and they'll take some time to developp(Especially O'Byrne)

I really think the problem is not on the offense but on the denfense. What do you think Montreal needs to really solidify is place at the top of the Eastern Conference?

if we are to be one of the legit top teams in the league (like san jose and Detroit), we need one more Dman. Someone like Ohlund, a solid (read: big and quick) puck moving D or Sami Salo,although Salo is a great pp guy and we don't really need that. We also need to get rid of the players like Dandy and Boullion, they just don't make decisions at an NHL level, Dandy just isn't good and Boullion ices the puck about 7 times per shift (hyperbole but whatever).

if our top 4 were
Markov Komisarek
Hamrlik Ohlund (he is cheap too)

we would be in good shape to repeat as cup champs next year

Kikizaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2008, 01:23 AM
Kikizaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitehowl View Post
Both are not worth the money they are looking for...both on the downhill side of their career. I could see the value Hossa brings as he is younger and in a way is like Kovalev in that he can create alot of chances on his own.

they both create chances on their own, true but really their style of play is nothing close. Hossa is all about quickness and speed (and skill) whereas Kovalev is much stronger along the boards. On the subject of Naslund, we don't want him... I live in Victoria BC and watch about 40-50 canucks games a year (including the heartbreak playoffs last year) Naslund is a shell of his former self. He has improved His Defensive game but he makes SO many boneheaded dangles that you have to wonder why AV doesn't rip his head off. Lazy lazy penalties too.
but that's just my opinion. If bob gainey were to sign Naslund, id be pissed but trust in bobs imaculate plan.

Kikizaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2008, 01:36 AM
Erika

Quote:
Right, being defensively aware, a natural born leader and having an offensive upside is nothing in the Morrow mold?
Are you serious ?!! Are you comparing one of the best Left wingers in the game with some no-name dude like Kyle "Freakin" Chipchura ?!

In you're dreams maybe.

Erika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2008, 02:04 AM
Habitant#1

Habs have enough Skill, Heart and Size. Unfortunatly, those three things are spread out across the roster and no player has all three. We need some more guys who's skill set translates better to the playoffs. Guys who's game is the physical stuff.

Not that were doing bad with what we have, but it would make things alot easier!

Habitant#1 is offline   Reply With Quote